View Full Version : Viktor Sankidze

MannyIsGod
05-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Viktor Sanikidze
Birthdate: 4/1/86
NBA Position: Small Forward
Ht: 6-9
Wt: 200

TELL ME MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

objective
05-28-2006, 03:37 PM
the metric heigh listings i've seen (which are old, circa draft time or French league postings), had him a hair under 6'8"

El_Mago
05-28-2006, 03:37 PM
He is our future SF...but nothing is ever promised.

He was not supposed to be in the draft when when the Hawks drafted him and we traded for him, but since he played ball here in the states at Globe Tech, and then went over to play pro-ball in Europe....his name was thrown in into the draft the year we got him. So, technically, if he would have been a 1st rounder or near lottery if he would have gone into the draft later with more polished skills.

He has been injured, but the Spurs medical staff has been working with him throughout the Spurs season.

Around the time we drafted him, he was very lanky and not much of a NBA body type. However, I'm sure now the Spurs have put under a weight program.

He is long, and he is very versatile. He can slash to the basket, and his low post moves are efficient enough where to he can rely on them on a consistent basis. His perimeter game is nothing outstanding, but his handles are okay....he is still very young, and has suffered that ankle injury I believe....

But, thats nothing he can not overcome.

spurschick
05-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Looks like this guy

http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/kevin_federline-797214.jpg

exstatic
05-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Pop thought, even at draft time, that he would ultimately be the best player taken by SA that year (3 picks), and that included Beno, who played immediately.

whottt
05-28-2006, 04:26 PM
He's skinny and he's been injured for basically the entire time since he was drafted.

I looked at his French League stats and they sucked...I think his stats in the 18 World Championships sucked too.

He was considered a steal at the time he was drafted but hasn't done anything or shown any kind of improvment since.

He is supposed to be a athletic, a good rebounder, and a good shooter, with long arms. The knock on him was that he was too skinny to play SF in the NBA and needed to put on weight...I think he weighed under 200lbs when he was drafted.

I don't know what he has been doing here for the last year or so, but I know what he hasn't been doing....playing competive basketball. Seeing as how he was a project struggling to get PT in the French Leagues the last time he was playing competitively, I just don't have a lot of optimism about him joining the team and helping us win a title next season.

picnroll
05-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Sanikidze was extremely young when palying for Dijon. The fact that he was in the A league at all at that age might say something for him. His under 18 WC play is what drew attention to him. Also he was having leg problems right off the bat, thought it was ankles but he had his knees worked on over here.

He hasn't played competitively for a long time. Best I'd hope for is that he shows promise in SL and Spurs send him back to Europe for a year or two of seasoning. But who knows, he's a real mystery man from the Spurs publicity point.

wildbill2u
05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
We seem to be having bad luck with injuries to some of these Euros we drafted, leaving Javotkas and Sanikidze in limbo.

All this about two to three years of seasoning is great, but we need help now if we can find it.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
I want him in Silver and Black next season.... athletic and young...doesn't sound like something the spurs need right?

exstatic
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, since he has just turned 20 and would barely be eligable for THIS draft had he not already be drafted, they have plenty of time to see what they have.

strangeweather
05-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I want him in Silver and Black next season.... athletic and young...doesn't sound like something the spurs need right?

Kids need to play. If he can be part of the rotation, get him here, by all means.

But if he's going to be the 12th man or be inactive, we should either leave him in Europe or put him in Austin. Leaving him in Europe is a little better for the cap, so I think that's more likely at this point.

Spurologist
05-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Looks like this guy

http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/kevin_federline-797214.jpghttp://thedraftreview.com/history/drafted2004/images/viktor-sanikidze.jpg

Buddy Holly
05-28-2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.ideagrove.com/blog/uploaded_images/kevin_federline-797214.jpghttp://thedraftreview.com/history/drafted2004/images/viktor-sanikidze.jpg

I think that's a fairly old picture.

I'm not too sure but I believe he grew his hair out.

Solid D
05-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Someone with the Spurs or someone who frequents the Spurs' Practice Facility would have insight. Everything else regarding his current playing status is conjecture.

gregpschneid
05-28-2006, 10:52 PM
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/viktorsanikidze.asp

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Viktor was in town quite a bit during the season. Kori probably knows more about him as she pointed him out to me one night when we were in the media dining room.

He's about 6'8" but I haven't seen him work out or anything. The closest person I know who actually knew if he was working out was the french reporter that covered Tony for L'Etiuipe as they talked quite a bit during the season when Viktor was here.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Viktor was here from about November thru the end of the season. (He might still be here) He's probably near 6'9 and thin. But not grossly thin (not like Tayshaun when he first got to the league). I know that people say he's been rehabbing from a major injury all year (I originally heard everything from broken ankle to knee problems) but from what I know, he just had knee tendinitis and no ankle injury.

We'll see him first hand in Salt Lake City at Rocky Mt Revue. Other than that, I don't know much about the guy.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Well she knew more than me!! I do know his english is pretty damn good!! lol

timvp
05-29-2006, 01:18 AM
What's scary is Sanikidze might be the Spurs' only hope in getting a Long Three this summer. Outside of a trade, I just don't see any available.

Pray for a miracle.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:28 AM
dayum...always a frigging catch to the long 3 answer