PDA

View Full Version : Arenas, Storey arrested on South Beach

ducks
05-28-2006, 06:54 PM
:rolleyes Arenas, Storey arrested on South Beach
Arenas, Storey arrested on South Beach

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas and forward Awvee Storey have been arrested on charges of disobeying police.

Storey was blocking traffic in the middle of a busy street when an officer told him to get back to the sidewalk Saturday night, according to police reports. Storey didn't get out of the street, and the officer arrested him and charged him with failure to obey a command.

ADVERTISEMENT

While police were arresting Storey, Arenas got out of a vehicle and walked toward the arresting officers. According to reports, an officer told Arenas to get back in his vehicle, but he refused, saying he wanted to stand next to his teammate. The officer took Arenas into custody and charged him with resisting without violence.

As Arenas was being arrested, according to reports, he said, "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate."

Both players were then taken to jail for processing.

The Wizards released a statement saying, "We are aware of the situation and, until we have more information, we will have no comment."

The two were arrested as part of a crackdown on disorderly behavior among those who flocked to Miami Beach for Memorial Day weekend.

A total of 557 people were arrested between Thursday morning and Saturday night on Miami Beach. Most arrests were for disorderly conduct and intoxication. During the same three-day period last year, there were 333 arrests.

"We're definitely over from last year," Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said. "We're working a lot more plainclothes officers, so you're obviously going to make more arrests."

Drbio
05-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Looks like another successful Urban Beach Party in Miami.

ducks
05-28-2006, 07:00 PM
I can not believe nba players get in trouble so soon after the get down playing
the playoffs are not even over
these players have only been on break for a couple of weeks

Brutalis
05-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Uh wtf, what a bitch ass cop. Seriously. For not obeying you goto jail?

I understand if you're drunk or something but wtf.

ducks
05-28-2006, 07:02 PM
if you do not obey the cop he should have the right to take in jail
he has the authority

if he does not have that authority people would not respect him

arenas deserved to go to jail

Drbio
05-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Every state has a law on the books of a similar order. I believe that here it is called "failed to obey a lawful order". It's easy really. If an officer asks you to get back in the car you should do it. I can appreciate where Arenas was coming from but that doesn't absolve him from following a lawful order. Those laws are on the books to protect the officers and the public.

exstatic
05-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Uh wtf, what a bitch ass cop. Seriously. For not obeying you goto jail?

I understand if you're drunk or something but wtf.
What happens if SIX guys get out of the car? The Police have to be able to do their business, especially in a crime-riddled shithole like Miami.

Spurologist
05-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I thought it was something serious. This doesn't mean jack. I didn't think officers could have a few on the job.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2006, 08:18 PM
It's good to see that Arenas dropped the old "I'm a basketball player" defense. '

Actually, that may be the most defense Gilbert has played in a while.

Chief
05-28-2006, 08:25 PM
What the Hell

Gilbert Arenas is a class act, To see that he was arrested for a charge of what ?
disobeying Police, what a joke..

ShoogarBear
05-28-2006, 08:41 PM
It's good to see that Arenas dropped the old "I'm a basketball player" defense. '

:lmao

exstatic
05-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Every state has a law on the books of a similar order. I believe that here it is called "failed to obey a lawful order". It's easy really. If an officer asks you to get back in the car you should do it. I can appreciate where Arenas was coming from but that doesn't absolve him from following a lawful order. Those laws are on the books to protect the officers and the public.

"OK, officer. What precinct are you going to so I can follow you and throw his bail?"

It's just that easy.

SpursWoman
05-28-2006, 08:56 PM

:lol

Drbio
05-28-2006, 10:39 PM
"OK, officer. What precinct are you going to so I can follow you and throw his bail?"

It's just that easy.
It doesn't matter a hill of crap if they can afford bail, they ust follow the law and if arrested then they get the opportunity to post bail per the law. Arenas brokes the law and was arrested lawfully it seems. There is nothing wrong with that.

Drbio
05-28-2006, 10:39 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Buddy Holly
05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
he has the authority

So why wasn't Parker thrown into jail?

Double standard much?

IceColdBrewski
05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
he has the authority

Web Posted: 12/26/2005 12:00 AM CST
Sheila Hotchkin
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ny.875f2ce.html

San Antonio's own celebrity couple, Spurs guard Tony Parker and "Desperate Housewives" actress Eva Longoria, ran afoul of the law early Christmas Eve, when a police officer said they hurled insults and profanities after he told them to move their car.

The officer issued citations to Parker for impeding traffic and failing to produce a valid Texas driver's license.

Longoria, whom the police report quoted as telling the officer, "Well, (expletive) you then," was not cited.

According to the report, she also told the officer he had an ego problem. The officer said he told Longoria he had no intention of getting into a shouting match with her.

Through her publicist, Longoria called the police report "highly inaccurate" and said she and Parker "respect and love the community and the San Antonio Police Department."

The incident occurred early Saturday, about 12:45 a.m., hours after the Spurs defeated the Toronto Raptors 95-90 at the SBC Center.

According to the police report, Parker was behind the wheel of a car stopped in the 200 block of East Houston Street, where it was impeding traffic.

A bicycle officer used a flashlight to indicate that Parker needed to move along. When the car didn't move, the officer approached and rapped the hood with the palm of his hand.

Parker and Longoria "began screaming in a verbally abusive and demeaning manner," police said, and Parker questioned why the officer touched the car.

Then the officer asked Parker for his driver's license. At that point, according to the police report, Parker instead began to drive away and nearly hit a man standing several feet in front of his car.

Police ordered Parker to turn off the ignition and step out of the car. The officer who wrote up the citations said Longoria then shouted out the passenger window: "He's just a Mexican bike cop. He only wants your autograph."

The officer also said that, while he was writing the citations, Parker complained: "This is all the cops do, just mess with people."

During the traffic stop, Parker displayed what he identified as a French driver's license. The officer issued the second citation after a records check showed Parker has a current Texas driver's license, which he did not present.

Police didn't take action against Longoria despite the comments they say she made. Police spokesman Joe Rios said officers are accustomed to hearing all kinds of remarks in the course of their jobs, and they typically would not cite someone for disorderly conduct unless a bystander was offended by what was said or done.

Officers "didn't want to prolong the situation," Rios said. "Had other people heard and been offended by what she said, they would have taken action."

Longoria's publicist Liza Anderson said, "I believe the couple will be pressing charges in conjunction with this incident. They are intent on setting the record straight. Both Tony and Eva are law-abiding and respectful citizens of the community."

Through her publicist, Longoria said, "It's a shame that one officer conducted himself in such an inappropriate and disorderly manner. I never made any sort of racial slurs, let alone made any comments about the officer being Mexican, as a Mexican myself."

After the Christmas Day loss in Detroit, a Spurs team spokesman declined to comment on the incident involving Parker and Longoria.

Longoria, a Corpus Christi native who has made San Antonio a second home, rose to stardom with her role as the scheming Gabrielle Solis in ABC's hit show "Desperate Housewives."

In the past year, she received a Golden Globe nomination and was named one of People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People."

Longoria and Parker, the Spurs starting point guard, began dating about a year ago.

The actress was a courtside fixture during the Spurs championship run and was present for Sunday's game in Detroit.

Looks like Parker should have spent some time in jail too then. But I'm sure you'll have a nice homeristic excuse as to why he shouldn't though.