PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting a trade that ALMOST happened...

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Brent Barry for J.R. Smith.

do you still pull the plug on this, if its still offered in the off-season?
do you try to package a deal with the Hornets?

this is their roster...

NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS
33 Brandon Bass F 6-8 240 04/30/1985 Louisiana State R
42 P.J. Brown - C C 6-11 239 10/14/1969 Louisiana Tech 12
45 Rasual Butler F 6-7 205 05/23/1979 La Salle 3
5 Speedy Claxton G 5-11 170 05/08/1978 Hofstra 4
21 Marcus Fizer F 6-8 260 08/10/1978 Iowa State 5
44 Marc Jackson C-F 6-10 253 01/16/1975 Temple 5
43 Linton Johnson III F 6-8 225 06/13/1980 Tulane 2
6 Arvydas Macijauskas G 6-4 214 01/19/1980 Lithuania R
24 Desmond Mason F 6-5 222 10/11/1977 Oklahoma State 5
25 Moochie Norris G 6-1 185 07/27/1973 West Florida 8
3 Chris Paul G 6-0 175 05/06/1985 Wake Forest R
23 J.R. Smith G 6-6 220 09/09/1985 St. Benedict's Prep (Newark, NJ) 1
1 Kirk Snyder G 6-6 225 06/05/1983 Nevada-Reno 1
30 David West F 6-9 240 08/29/1980 Xavier (Ohio) 2
34 Aaron Williams C-F 6-9 235 10/02/1971 Xavier (Ohio) 11

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm not impressed with Smith. I'd rather try to get Claxton. Heck I'd even take LJ III again.

jcrod
05-29-2006, 12:41 AM
I'll do it in a NY min.

jcrod
05-29-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm not impressed with Smith. I'd rather try to get Claxton. Heck I'd even take LJ III again.

He's only 20 hit a good percentage from 3pt land, is athletic. Only can go up.

spurs=bling
05-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Linton Mr."i'm not Nazr Mohammed." Johnson. :lol

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 12:45 AM
nbascribe, the only beef i have with JR smith is his relationship with byron scott. he was upset about the reduced minutes he was getting and if he comes to SA he will be in the same situation. hes a young kid who is mesmerized by the glitz and glamour of lots of playing time, starter money, commercial spots etc. he as MASSIVE potential though and thats an upside. LJIII didnt work out and iam sure if he was worth keeping the spurs would have kept him on the IL.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Smith's defense is suspect and I don't trust his shot selection. don't know if he's disciplined enough to make a good play in an offense like the Spurs.

Heck we see Barry is gun shy... could be worse with Smith because he is so young.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 12:48 AM
JR Smith is too short to be considered the "Long 3" that everyone is coveting. But he'd be a work-in-progress backup swingman that could work out.

Regarding his relationship with Scott, Scott has a hard time with some young players (i.e. Stephen Jackson) but Smith still concerns me in that regard. There's a lot of noise about how he just doesn't show up to practices, or shows up when they are almost over and doesn't even apologize, etc.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 12:48 AM
how about marcus fizer? the guy was a lottery pick but never really fit well in chicago. hes got the size and body that we are looking for. no good?

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 12:49 AM
I don't really care that much if JR sucks - Barry will be off the books and JR costs 1/4 as much.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 12:50 AM
how about marcus fizer? the guy was a lottery pick but never really fit well in chicago. hes got the size and body that we are looking for. no good?

He did really well in the DLeague this year. He's a big body with a bad injury history but someone will give him a chance -- he put up monster number in DLeague. ChumpDumper saw a lot of him and will give you some insight.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't really care that much if JR sucks - Barry will be off the books and JR costs 1/4 as much.

I agree about that. I just don't know if JR is what some people here expect him to be.

jcrod
05-29-2006, 12:52 AM
JR Smith is too short to be considered the "Long 3" that everyone is coveting. But he'd be a work-in-progress backup swingman that could work out.

Regarding his relationship with Scott, Scott has a hard time with some young players (i.e. Stephen Jackson) but Smith still concerns me in that regard. There's a lot of noise about how he just doesn't show up to practices, or shows up when they are almost over and doesn't even apologize, etc.

I don't think anybody considers him the long three, he's only 6'6. I just think about getting younger and more athletic. I think he's worth a shot.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:52 AM
SSK i think for this franchise that we love, they are looking for consumate professionals and not projects. Fizer didn't impress me either. As for my comments on Smith, I'm almost echoing Kori's take. Next to Chris Andersen, Smith was a major pain in the ass for the Hornets. He thinks he's all world and he's not.

If he could come off of cloud 12 in his world and realize that he has an opportunity, I think he may fit; if the Spurs were inclined.

timvp
05-29-2006, 12:56 AM
JR Smith, in the Spurs system, would be very good. He has the best range of any player I've ever seen coming out of high school. Add in his run/jump skills and he'd be a vital member of the core for years to come.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 12:57 AM
how about marcus fizer? the guy was a lottery pick but never really fit well in chicago. hes got the size and body that we are looking for. no good?I saw alot of Fizer in Austin. Officially he's an unrestricted free agent and should be able to be had for the minimum. He got faster after he dropped about 10 pounds during his stay with the Sonics, but he's still not very athletic. Not a great rebounder but can rack up alot every once in awhile. One thing he does have over alot of the guys we're considering is his range - he can even hit a few threes and would fit more easily into a set alongside Duncan than some of the others.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Sticking to he needs to come off of cloud 12 in his world.

As talented as he COULD BE, his damn ego and work ethic give me major issues.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 12:58 AM
i think people are intruiged by him because hes a dunker. hes a flashy player who brings hype to the offense. makes the games more enjoyable because you never know when he might break out for a dunk. like i said above about his current role which he is unhappy with, he might feel the same way if he ends up here.

i remember most people were excited about getting JR smith for brent barry. just wondered if people still feel the same way now.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Chump I think we may see him in the summer league this year. I think Fizer needs to drop another 10 pounds though. Something about the round mound of hostess twinkees don't fit with a basketball player.

if he drops the extra pounds, he may improve in the athleticism and shooting categories. I wonder what a good summer working on footwork would do for him?

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Chump, fizers ability to hit the three might be vital for when we play the mavs. it would keep dirk off the boards if fizer can keep him on the perimeter.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:04 AM
I've never thought of Fizer as someone who can hit the 3. In his NBA games, he's like 20/110 or something.

Did he shoot a lot of 3's (or even long 2's) in Austin?

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:06 AM
One thing we can't rely on is if we play the Mavs next season. for all we know, that team might be changing and we might be changing.

As close as the Spurs were against the Mavs, it is hard to imagine that a few extra rebounds would help. If anything, if Tim played really aggressive in the last seconds of regulation or if the bench really played like they did against Sacramento, things could have been different. But that's would have, could have, should have talk.

What the Spurs definitely need more than anything is youth and stability. Whether that's Smith, Fizer or somebody out of the draft or free agency is anyone's guess right now.

Ahhh the perils of being a successful NBA franchise these days.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:08 AM
What the Spurs definitely need more than anything is youth and stability. Whether that's Smith, Fizer or somebody out of the draft or free agency is anyone's guess right now.

Ahhh the perils of being a successful NBA franchise these days.

Well Fizer isn't exactly young. He's 28 or so and has a bad injury history. I'm not saying that he won't help someone. I'm just thinking he's probably not what the Spurs are looking for. (But who knows)

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Chump I think we may see him in the summer league this year. I think Fizer needs to drop another 10 pounds though. Something about the round mound of hostess twinkees don't fit with a basketball player.

if he drops the extra pounds, he may improve in the athleticism and shooting categories. I wonder what a good summer working on footwork would do for him?When he came back from Seattle he was playing at an entirely different level, scoring like 37 ppg. I'd have no problem taking him on for the minimum because he seems like he could play with or without Duncan on the floor and he had no problems with his knees this year. I don't know exactly how much more weight he cold lose, but he certainly responded to the Sonics' conditioning program. He wouldn't be a perfect fit, but few minimum players would.

timvp
05-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Fizer is shorter than JR Smith. There's no way I want him even on the Spurs summer league team. Last thing the Spurs need is a PF who is slow, can't rebound and too short to guard the post.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 01:12 AM
TiMVP fizer is 6-8, JR Smith is 6-6.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Fizer is shorter than JR Smith. There's no way I want him even on the Spurs summer league team. Last thing the Spurs need is a PF who is slow, can't rebound and too short to guard the post.

I don't know if he's shorter than JR Smith but he's definitely not the 6'9/6'10 athletic forward I was thinking of the Spurs acquiring.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:13 AM
I've never thought of Fizer as someone who can hit the 3. In his NBA games, he's like 20/110 or something.

Did he shoot a lot of 3's (or even long 2's) in Austin?17-53 (.321) from the arc and more than a few long twos. I'm not saying he's Dirk, just that he has more range than some other candidates.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Dayum Timvp so that means getting Charles Smith out of retirement is not an option??? lol

How about Charles Barkley...he looks like he can still back his ass up; even if it is to a Dos XX keg!! lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Smith's a guy who you could throw out there to match up with a guy like Terry no problem.

He's not the answer to the long three riddle though.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Last thing the Spurs need is a PF who is slow, can't rebound and too short to guard the post.Yeah, the minimum is the minimum though - it's not like he has a Scola sized buyout (boy, you described Luis to a T there).

Kori Ellis
17-53 (.321) from the arc and more than a few long twos. I'm not saying he's Dirk, just that he has more range than some other candidates.

Interesting.

You are right, he was a monster after he got cut by Seattle. I know those numbers in themselves will get him on someone's summer league team. Do you know if NO has any rights to him at all? (I don't see that they do .. but I don't see that Seattle has rights to Noel.)

timvp
Fizer is your prototypical non-NBA baller. Outside of the NBA world, short power forwards dominate. In the NBA, they suck 99.9% of the time.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:20 AM
NOLA doesn't have any rights to Fizer other than the ability to give him a little more than the minimum w/o using an exception - I don't think they hold an option. He's not really on my list for the Spurs, but he could come off the bench somewhere.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:22 AM
I've got the answer........NOEL FELIX!!!!

Kori, could he be capable of filling the position we're talking?

Mavschick
05-29-2006, 01:23 AM
I saw alot of Fizer in Austin. Officially he's an unrestricted free agent and should be able to be had for the minimum. He got faster after he dropped about 10 pounds during his stay with the Sonics, but he's still not very athletic. Not a great rebounder but can rack up alot every once in awhile. One thing he does have over alot of the guys we're considering is his range - he can even hit a few threes and would fit more easily into a set alongside Duncan than some of the others.

Didn't CHI, MIL, and NOK all dump him because of his lackadaisical D and slow feet? He seems like a combination of Maurice Taylor and Clarence Weatherspoon, a PF who actually isn't all that "powerful" and doesn't like to get physical in the post, and a guy with cement feet and a 1-inch vertical. At best he's another Melvin Ely.

And are you sure about his 3-point range? With Austin, he only took 53 attempts which is kind of a small sample size but he ended up with a nice % regardless. However, not including last year when he only played 3 games, he's 20-119 in 3-pt shooting over 5 years in the NBA. That's about 20 attempts a season which isn't that much. Has he had 3-point shooting range all along and just never really had a chance to show it playing a post position or did he really work on it down in the NBDL?

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:24 AM
I've got the answer........NOEL FELIX!!!!

Kori, could he be capable of filling the position we're talking?

Of course I'll say yes. :lol He's 6'9, 240, more athletic than anyone on the Spurs, a good shot blocker, busy extending his shooting range ... but he's contractually obligated to the Sonics.

He'll be on their summer league team and in their training camp. He's unguaranteed with them but he can't talk to other teams.

Slinkyman
05-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Fizer has to be one of the biggest busts ever, the dude was the 4th pick overall and after 5 years in the league is playing D League ball, that said he'd be nice if we go small. Can you Imagine a line up of parker, gino, fin, "long 3", and fizer?

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:26 AM
I'll take my bow now....you can pay for dinner next season!! lol

Now that we've solved this issue, how bout we solve the Atlanta Hawks dismal problem of even having a team!! lol

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:30 AM
a PF who actually isn't all that "powerful" and doesn't like to get physical in the post, and a guy with cement feet and a 1-inch vertical.wrong on the first two, right on the second two.
And are you sure about his 3-point range? What's to be sure about? - I was there at all the home games. He took 53 3s in 35 games and numerous 15-20 footers depending on the D he faced. I don't remember ever saying he's our next Robert Horry, just that he has more range than alot of the guys we are considering. That's of no small importance when playing with Duncan.

Again, he's not really on my short list, but could I see him taking Sean Marks' place? Of course.

The biggest knock on Fizer is he was picked too high by his college coach.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:31 AM
What the Spurs need is true athleticism at the 3/4 position. Not just for handling match up scenarios with teams like Dallas/Phoenix, but for creating their own mismatch issues.

If I had RC and Sam Presti's ear, I'd be looking at some of the 'lower' bench players from other teams who may fit that criteria. Even with Felix, the Spurs may be able to find diamond in the lumps of coal that fit their bill or at least gives them a chance to develop that player into something they want.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, Noel was really the guy we needed - I couldn't have pimped him and Chuck Hayes much more than I did last year. Maybe those know-nothings in the Spurs' FO will listen to me now. :flypig

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:38 AM
lol.....

Chump Dumpster for GM!! or at least unofficial Spurs president of talent evaluation!! lol

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:40 AM
One thing good about Noel is that he's always been a good defender in the post, but now he's actually advancing to be a good on the ball defender too. Lately he's been averaging 4 steals per game in his scrimmages.

Oh well.

Back to JR Smith ...

Dre_7
05-29-2006, 01:41 AM
How much money the Spurs gonna have to work with? Im really likin Tim Thomas!!

SsKSpurs21
wow, any chance seattle lets this Noel fellow go...if so, then at what cost?

nbascribe
JR who?

Kori Ellis
How much money the Spurs gonna have to work with? Im really likin Tim Thomas!!

They will just have the MLE and LLE (about 5M and 2M).

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:42 AM
Now Thomas would be nice but I think he'll stay in Phoenix.

He fits their style of play.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:43 AM
wow, any chance seattle lets this Noel fellow go...if so, then at what cost?

Minimum. He's still a raw young player.

And they'll cut him if they don't have roster space for him or he bombs in the summer/preseason. That's what they did last season -- they had no space for him. They contemplated cutting Rick Brunson to keep him but Brunson was guaranteeed. So they cut Noel. Then they regreted it all year and got Noel back after they traded Radmanovic, etc and freed up a roster space.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:45 AM
I guess if we did the original deal of Barry for Smith/Macijauskas, the worst we could end up with would be two players we never play rather than one. Same years.

SsKSpurs21
Minimum. He's still a raw young player.

hmm how long of a project? iam guessing if he will take a year or two then we might as well just stick with Ian mahimni.

nbascribe
As Noel's world turns.........

See how the NBA world is? JR Smith was the topic of discussion but now a new flavor of the month is being talked about and that's Felix.....

Next thing you know we'll be talking abou bringing back the Worm at age 43!! lol

Dre_7
05-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Now Thomas would be nice but I think he'll stay in Phoenix.

He fits their style of play.

I strongly believe hes stayin in PHX too. But having him as SA's starting 4 would be awesome. Hes versatle too. If they need to go big he can play the 3 too. Plus he can NAIL the three ball!!!

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Dayum not an OLD ASS PICTURE OF FINLEY IN BADGER GEAR!!

Now that's classic Dre!! lol

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:49 AM
hmm how long of a project? iam guessing if he will take a year or two then we might as well just stick with Ian mahimni.

With playing time, a year. He'll never be a star, but I think he'll be a solid role player. I pimp him because he's one of my closest friends.

Mahinmi is a center/PF. Noel is a SF/PF. Noel's been a power forward/center his whole life and only really a defender. But the Sonics are converting him to play both forward positions. They think he can guard 3's and 4's and love his defense, but they are working on extending his shooting range, etc.

Mavschick
05-29-2006, 01:52 AM
What about CHA FA Jumaine Jones? He's a little smaller than Thomas but CHA played him at PF a lot, and CLE played him there a bit when they had him. He might be even more athletic than Thomas and he can shoot the 3 equally well. After years of being stuck on mediocre teams, ie. BOS, CHA, LAL, CLE, etc. I'd bet he'd kill to be on an elite one.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 01:54 AM
A lot of people were talking about Jumaine Jones in this other thread.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42616&highlight=jumaine+jones

and this one

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42405&highlight=jumaine+jones

He might fit the bill. I would think the Spurs will look at him.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 01:55 AM
I think Jumaine is on most wish lists out there. I'm not sure exactly how much PT he'd get here if we don't fully convert to small ball.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:58 AM
Jones' playing time might coincide as to WHICH big (Rasho/Nazr) is NOT here next season and whether Scola comes over.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Chump (or whoever) what teams will be likely under the cap?

Charlotte, NO, Chicago, Atlanta, Utah, Toronto, Clippers ...

Is that it?

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Whoops, working with the wrong figures.

Your list looks right.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 02:19 AM
kori, noel seems like a mold of bruce bowen, a defensive specialist with limited offense. i wonder if he can end up being bruces replacement.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 02:25 AM
kori, noel seems like a mold of bruce bowen, a defensive specialist with limited offense. i wonder if he can end up being bruces replacement.

Well he's much bigger than Bowen. He's 6'9, 240-250. (He was 250 in training camp). He jumped center in the CBA this season. (He won CBA Defensive Player of the Year). In high school, he was a shot blocker and dunker only -- never taught much about real basketball. He averaged 5 blocks a game. He can jump out of the gym. At Fresno St, he was a team leader and great defender .. not a scorer at all (averaged like 8-9 ppg). He just was trying to get thru college .. it was a tumultuous time there -- teammates killing people, getting arrested, smoking dope, NCAA violations. Noel is a good boy though .. he steered clear of all that. But he didn't really start coming into his own as a basketball player til late. This past season he developed a pretty good offensive game and I've been getting him to practice his NBA 3's a lot. I never think of him as a small forward. I think he'd make a solid backup PF in the NBA. But since the league seems to be morphing into something different. He could probably play both spots.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 07:02 AM
This trade is a PERFECT example of buy LOW, sell HIGH, from both perspectives for San Antonio. Barry may never again have the trade value that he has after blowing up down the stretch. I expect him to go moribund at the start of next season. Smith's value may never be lower after clashing with Byron Scott. If he were getting along, dunking like a mofo, and generally excelling, the Spurs would never get a whiff of this trade. This is strictly a trade for potential, and "old lamps for new". If Smith is a bust, you don't lose much.

Doc Jerome
05-29-2006, 07:44 AM
There is always a risk associated with young guys like J. R. Smith. Just like older veterans get shot after shot, he deserves a shot at plalying on a contender. Evaluate him and see how everything goes; but basketball wise, the guy is everything that the Spurs currently have at 6'6" are not.

Spurs are not above getting a guy like Smith if they took Van Exel, Big Dog, and Rodman on; Also, J. R. Smith is still young and can be shown by example by a team ladened with true professionals with character to boot. I would not worry so much in that regard.

He is not the long 3; but he is the young/athletic/energetic 2 that can sometimes moonlight as a 3 when catchups permit. The long 3 won't be able to guard athletic 2's anyway.

zocool16
05-29-2006, 10:28 AM
i like brent barry. i think we should keep him

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 10:56 AM
As exstatic pointed out, the Barry for Macijauskas/Smith deal is the kind of deal that the Spurs have capitalized on in the past. Buy low/sell high :tu

exstatic
05-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Anyone familiar with the concept of flipping a house? A prospective Smith trade could be the same thing. You bring him in, spiff up his reputation and game a bit, and teams remember his talent, and forget the other shit, once he's shown he can play in Pop's system. Maybe next summer they're knocking on OUR door with long 3 candidates for Smith.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Very familiar with flipping a house but there are drawbacks to how you are looking at it. First of all Smith would have to be wanting to spiff up his own reputation and game and look for a potential suitor. However sometimes 'flipping' is not a good idea when the market has been already saturated or is on the downside.

If the Spurs really wante to get their monies worth, they might do better 'renovating' and upgrading Smith. Meaning, take the time and put the effort into not only spiffing him up but also getting his game to be more conducive to how the Spurs play. I've done that on houses and in the long term, gotten more monetary value out of them by thus making them rent homes.

In relation to Smith in Ex's example of flipping in real estate, if the Spurs did actually want him, it would have to be on a long term basis because the market could become saturated. He's an interesting player but I think RC and Sam Presti would have to look at ALL aspects of whether he would be a good fit either on the long or short term.

Borosai
05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
We needs Gerald Wallace.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Oh gawd no!!!!!!

I've seen him before...both on and off the court. Talking about a head case!!!!

Smith has more upside than this guy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
We needs Gerald Wallace.

Yeah, we could use AK47 too. But there's a snowball's chance in hell of either happening.

We need a reality check filter around here for people who think we can go out and grab any player off another team because we think he'd fit.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:11 PM
if anyone hasn't seen this post, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42405, check it out.

That's what's available as free agents. If the Spurs are decent at doing anything, it's going out in free agency and getting players that SHOULD fit in their system. Not saying that it always works but that's the premise.

Oh and again, Gerald Wallace???? Hell flipping naw!!! :pctoss

ShoogarBear
05-29-2006, 12:13 PM
JR Smith, in the Spurs system, would be very good. He has the best range of any player I've ever seen coming out of high school. Add in his run/jump skills and he'd be a vital member of the core for years to come.Or he could be Isaiah Rider III.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Or he could be Isaiah Rider III.

It would cost them about $1.5M and one roster spot to find out.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Or he could be Isaiah Rider III.

Dayum Shoog...not another reference to a CFL'er in th NBA..Cannibus Lover Forever. We might as well get Chris Andersen or Uncle Cliffy!!! :lol

Bruno
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm all for a Barry/Smith trade but I won't re-do a Barry/Smith-Macijauskas. I rather trade Barry for nothing to a team under the cap than spending $3.5M for two average backup SG.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm all for a Barry/Smith trade but I won't re-do a Barry/Smith-Macijauskas. I rather trade Barry for nothing to a team under the cap than spending $3.5M for two average backup SG.

Macijauskas' contract ends next summer. You stick him on IR, and he saves you most of one year of Brent's deal by coming off the books 06/30/07.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM

You're a moron. Look, we are extremely capped out, we need to get players back for what tradeable assets we do have. Where do you think we're going to pick up all the players we need to fill out this roster? It's not like we have cap room to play with.

Our needs:

Youth at the SF and SG spots, more shooters to space the floor for TD, an athletic big man, and a backup PG.

Smith and Maci address two of our four needs this off-season.

Bruno
05-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Macijauskas' contract ends next summer. You stick him on IR, and he saves you most of one year of Brent's deal by coming off the books 06/30/07.

hoopshype says he has a player option for the 07-08.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Macijauskas totally and completely sucks. He's no answer to anything excpet who to put on the reserves' list.

Bruno
05-29-2006, 02:03 PM
You're a moron.

Thanks and it's funny because you are clueless about our needs and Salary cap/Luxury tax mecanisms.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 02:07 PM
hoopshype says he has a player option for the 07-08.
I was going off of info on Patricia's various basketball stuff site. It's usually pretty accurate.

Bruno
05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
I was going off of info on Patricia's various basketball stuff site. It's usually pretty accurate.

Hoopshype too is quite accurate.

after a quick search :
http://nola.live.advance.net/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-1/1122010321240360.xml

When the moratorium is lifted, perhaps late next week, Macijauskas will sign a two-year deal with the Hornets, with a player option for a third.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
We needs Gerald Wallace.

no love for Gwallace? how come? i absolutely love his game. the man is a great defender. he was a MONSTER for my fantasy team. BUT he will want a HUGE contract, starting minutes, etc. he is also VERY injury prone. he was out most of the season for me, then he was always listed as day-to-day. we cant rely on that type of player if we are aiming for a championship. if he was willing to play a backup role id be glad to have him aboard.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 02:20 PM
no love for Gwallace? how come? i absolutely love his game. the man is a great defender. he was a MONSTER for my fantasy team. BUT he will want a HUGE contract, starting minutes, etc. he is also VERY injury prone. he was out most of the season for me, then he was always listed as day-to-day. we cant rely on that type of player if we are aiming for a championship. if he was willing to play a backup role id be glad to have him aboard.
You just listed the very reason why Wallace won't be here. Dependability is a must; especially if he is trying to negotiate a nice contract.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Dependability is a must

yea thats why i backtracked a little towards the end there, where i said if he was willing to play a backup role id be happy to have him. you cant deny his defensive numbers and he is a LONG 3. just very injury prone.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 02:29 PM
can't deny the defense but I'm a little wary on his offensive punch. It would be nice for the Spurs to get a three man that can drive to the basket, have a good mid range jumper and give some quality defense. Those type of guys, for the Spurs, are really hard to come by. Unless the Spurs find a guy like this under a rock, i really can't put my finger on exactly who would fit this team's needs RIGHT NOW.

Leetonidas
05-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Is there a way we could do Barry for Smith + Cash?

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 02:32 PM
nbascribe, in the other thread there is talks from chicago tribune that the bulls are interested in scola. maybe a scola for luel deng trade? he fits your bill quite well. a long three with good offensive skills, decent to good defensive skills but he can learn under master bruce.

SsKSpurs21
05-29-2006, 02:33 PM

it was gonna happen that way right before the allstar break. we couldnt get the paperwork done in time. iam sure that offer will come up again in the offseason. we might even get a little more since barrys stock has gone up.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 02:46 PM
nbascribe, in the other thread there is talks from chicago tribune that the bulls are interested in scola. maybe a scola for luel deng trade? he fits your bill quite well. a long three with good offensive skills, decent to good defensive skills but he can learn under master bruce.

I'd do that but with Deng potentially having a long contract till 08-09, I don't know if the Spurs would be interested in such a deal. financially this is kind of irresponsible because Scola's deal would only be a three year deal and I don't think Chi-town would want to go through the hoops necessary to make this happen (buy out what the Spurs paid to get him, etc).

Keep in mind that international contract rules are real finicky for the league and that the team has to be able to fit that player under the cap 'legally' in the NBA.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Asked and answered, your honor...

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Asked and answered, your honor...

Wait a minute...who let Judge Whopner in this discusion? :elephant

SenorSpur
05-29-2006, 03:21 PM
We needs Gerald Wallace.

Yep. I'd much rather have Wallace over Smith. He provides so much more on both sides of the ball (steals, blocks, assists, defense, scoring) and would certaninly fill the need for the long-coveted "long, athletic 3-man".

However if Charlotte is "hell bent" on keeping Wallace (and why wouldn't they), then I'd recommend pursuing Smith.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Only if N.O. has sufficient caproom. I'm not sure they do.

SenorSpur
05-29-2006, 03:37 PM
it was gonna happen that way right before the allstar break. we couldnt get the paperwork done in time. iam sure that offer will come up again in the offseason. we might even get a little more since barrys stock has gone up.

Barry's stock is indeed up. We should also dangle him to other teams (Den, Min, NO) that are looking for a veteran shooter. Get the best deal possible, but get back youth, athleticism and some cap space flexibility.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Only if N.O. has sufficient caproom. I'm not sure they do.They do. We wouldn 't need cash from them. The savings from getting rid of Barry pays for itself. We'd also get a trade exception, though we probably wouldn't use it.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Barry's stock is indeed up. We should also dangle him to other teams (Den, Min, NO) that are looking for a veteran shooter. Get the best deal possible, but get back youth, athleticism and some cap space flexibility.

What the fuck??? Barry's stock is up? How? He was a no show again in the playoffs; a time where the spurs thought he was going to be key. He's a good shooter but he's very gun shy. Pop gave him green light to shoot and he didn't take advantage of it. That's two years in a row.

One of the biggest reasons why the Spurs failed to advance was their lack of bench production. well guess who is on the bench? Brent Barry!! Where was he in the playoffs? Scared to shoot a good majority of the time.

The best thing fo the Spurs to do is to actually look AFTER the draft and see what young talent was not picked up. I made mention of this in another post: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42606&highlight=darius+washington

exstatic
05-29-2006, 03:55 PM
What the fuck??? Barry's stock is up? How? He was a no show again in the playoffs; a time where the spurs thought he was going to be key. He's a good shooter but he's very gun shy. Pop gave him green light to shoot and he didn't take advantage of it. That's two years in a row.

One of the biggest reasons why the Spurs failed to advance was their lack of bench production. well guess who is on the bench? Brent Barry!! Where was he in the playoffs? Scared to shoot a good majority of the time.

The best thing fo the Spurs to do is to actually look AFTER the draft and see what young talent was not picked up. I made mention of this in another post: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42606&highlight=darius+washington
I think the inference is that his stock is higher now than it was at the deadline. He was playing like shit, yet N.O. somehow wanted him.

SenorSpur
05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I think the inference is that his stock is higher now than it was at the deadline. He was playing like shit, yet N.O. somehow wanted him.

Exactly. If anyone watched the final 2 games of the Sac series, that is how his stock is up.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Unless teams are really desperate now, I don't see Barry being traded. He's got almost $12M coming to him in the next two years...

Don't know of any teams willing to deal with that large of a cap # for a backup.

Que Gee
05-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I agree about that. I just don't know if JR is what some people here expect him to be.

This trade WILL NOT happen. Its dead.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Unless teams are really desperate now, I don't see Barry being traded. He's got almost $12M coming to him in the next two years...

Don't know of any teams willing to deal with that large of a cap # for a backup.Barry would start in NOLA/OKC.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
This trade WILL NOT happen. Its dead.What makes you so sure?

leemajors
05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Barry would start in NOLA/OKC.

that would be quite an unselfish backcourt. barry and paul.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Don't know of any teams willing to deal with that large of a cap # for a backup.
Considering that he made 4.7M this year, and can ONLY be receiving 10% raises by signing with SA and not Seattle, that would be a good trick. Two years/$10.7M just isn't that bad a contract these days for a team looking for a veteran shooter and ballhandler who isn't going to be a lockerroom problem.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 04:22 PM
He's signed for the next two seasons folks.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Look and read before you leap into salary talk. I'm quite sure NO has some salary cap issues of their own as far what players they want to keep. Also Barry is not a vocal leader. The Hornets need that type of player in the lockerroom. Paul is too young and the chemistry of that lockerroom will dictate such.

Barry is a good 'follower' but he isn't a lockerroom leader. A lot of times those are the guys the media jumps to first in getting quotes. Barry wasn't on the 'first get' list.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't think Lord Byron really gives a shit if Barry is vocal. He might actually prefer a follower since he already has PJ for vet leadership. Why was he ready to make the trade when Brent had more time on the deal?

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Because JR Smith is a pain in the ass chomp.

Leetonidas
05-29-2006, 04:39 PM
What's wrong with Arvydas Macijauskas? He seems pretty good. Apparently has a deadly three point shot, is hard to guard, and won a couple MVP awards overseas.

Que Gee
05-29-2006, 04:43 PM
What makes you so sure?

I just know...trust me.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I just know...trust me.

Do you think they will be still looking to trade Barry (but just not this trade)?

Que Gee
05-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Do you think they will be still looking to trade Barry (but just not this trade)?

IMO, yes.

Leetonidas
05-29-2006, 04:47 PM

I do. We have Michael Finley, who actually produced consistently this year in the regular season and post season. I think the Spurs will package him with Scola to Chicago in attempt to get a pick or Deng from them if they don't trade him for Smith.

Que Gee
05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
I do. We have Michael Finley, who actually produced consistently this year in the regular season and post season. I think the Spurs will package him with Scola to Chicago in attempt to get a pick or Deng from them if they don't trade him for Smith.

???????? Finley consistently produced the worst numbers of his career this year....

He did step up in the playoffs though.

Leetonidas
05-29-2006, 04:55 PM
???????? Finley consistently produced the worst numbers of his career this year....

Because he wasn't our main scorer. He wasn't our number 2 or 3 guy and he didn't need to score 16 points a game. He scored about 10 a game off the bench and I'm sure that everyone here's fine with that.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 04:59 PM
I just know...trust me.Nah. No reason to.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 05:03 PM
???????? Finley consistently produced the worst numbers of his career this year....And what did Barry do for twice the money?

I like Brent but he's not worth the contract we gave him to play 17mpg.

Que Gee
05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Nah. No reason to.

Actually if you did your homework....ah never mind...I think if you asked Kori whether she'd believe me, I gotta hunch she'd say "yes."

exstatic
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Any reason for the Spurs to change their minds between Feb and now?

Que Gee
05-29-2006, 09:56 PM
And what did Barry do for twice the money?

I like Brent but he's not worth the contract we gave him to play 17mpg.

I never said he was worth the money. I just find it funny that Finley really didn't do dick this whole year, and is a completely one dimensional player...yet everyone decided to forget all this come playoff time...which again, I'll give props to...he had a good Playoffs.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 10:00 PM
This trade WILL NOT happen. Its dead.
Not happen from Spurs' lack of interet or from NO's?

Slinkyman
05-30-2006, 01:38 AM

you could say the same from Timmy, but he also stepped up big when it counted

ChumpDumper
05-30-2006, 04:25 AM
I never said he was worth the money.Well alright then. Barry for anybody it is.

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2006, 04:31 AM
barry for nachbar+filler to match the salary

ChumpDumper
05-30-2006, 04:36 AM
I would take Nachbar and Padgett, Uncle Cliffy or McInnis with little reservation.

Don't know why they would do it.

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2006, 04:47 AM
I would take Nachbar and Padgett, Uncle Cliffy or McInnis with little reservation.

Don't know why they would do it.

sumone to back up kidd at PG.

and VC is goin to be free agent end of next season, i wonder if they are goin to resign him or trade him when he still has value. Another possibility is jefferson. The nets have done well without him, i wonder if his still in the nets future plans?

padgett>sean marks

ChumpDumper
05-30-2006, 04:50 AM
sumone to back up kidd at PG.They seem fairly content with Jaque Vaughn, which is why metioned McInnis.