PDA

View Full Version : Best Jazz/R&B/Rock Music Festival You Want To Attend In 2006

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 12:34 AM
The one music concert that I'm looking forward to attend is the 14th Annual Capital Jazz Festival this weekend up in Baltimore (www.capitaljazz.com).

Huge smooth jazz fan and they have some of my favorites for three days. The only thing missing is a hotel room and if me and the girlfriend gotta sleep in the Montero, then oh well.....lol

What's a concert you're looking at going or have already been to?

scott
05-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Somesthing with Buddy Guy in it.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
i plan on not attending the ACL fest here in austin - a bunch of mediocre bands, outrageous prices for tickets and refreshment.

KEDA
05-29-2006, 11:19 AM
wouldnt mind seeing the Roots in Austin.

katyon6th
05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
i plan on not attending the ACL fest here in austin - a bunch of mediocre bands, outrageous prices for tickets and refreshment.

Mediocre bands? Tom Petty, Van Morrison, Willie Nelson, Ben Harper, Shins, John Mayer, Ben Kweller, Damien Rice, Nickel Creek, Iron & Wine, Aimee Mann, Gnarls Barkley, Matt Costa (to name a few) will all be at ACL this year. Perhaps they're not mainstream or they're not your style, but mediocre? At least give the musicians some credit.

Outrageous ticket prices? They had 3 day passes starting out at $90, then they went to $95, and now they're at their final price of $115. That is a very generous price for how many bands will be there over 3 days.

Refreshments? They allow you to bring in your own cooler filled with all the water you want.

Anyway, I'm ecstatic about ACL this year. Can't freakin' wait.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 11:39 AM
tom petty, gnarls barkley, and van morrison are ok, but i don't really care to pay $90 to see 2-3 bands. from the schedules i see, i have only ever wanted to see 2-3 bands and they were usually playing at the same time. i happen to think big festivals suck, and i don't really like paying over $20 to see anyone. the last two shows i saw were buckethead at la zona rosa, and dinosaur jr. at stubb's. they both kicked ass, but i wouldn't see them at a festival to catch a 40 minute set. buckethead played for 3 hours, dinosaur jr. for 2.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm not much of a rocker. I've mellowed out into the jazz world now.

See what happens when you're about to turn 40 and get responsibilities? You become old as dirt!!! :lol

katyon6th
05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Okay, so festivals aren't your thing. Got it. But seriously, ACL ticket prices are pale in comparison to say... Bonnaroo. But man, I'd love to go see that festival, it'd be worth it.

Dinosaur Jr. :tu

katyon6th
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I have to correct myself, Bonnaroo prices aren't as outrageous as I thought they were. Perhaps it's because it's out of state. Hmm...

KEDA
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Nickel Creek!!!

Id go just to see them

katyon6th
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Bonnaroo artists: Radiohead, Beck, Andrew Bird, Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Bela Fleck, Matisyahu, Buddy Guy, Ben Folds, Cat Power, etc. etc. etc.

I so wanna go.

KEDA
05-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Id go see Death Cab, Matisyahu, Ben Folds, and Beck

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm not much of a rocker. I've mellowed out into the jazz world now.

See what happens when you're about to turn 40 and get responsibilities? You become old as dirt!!! :lol

I too have mellowed and I also won't pay those high ticket prices since I'm stuck in 70's when you could see great music for 10 bucks even though I did break down and buy Kelly Clarkson tickets for my daughter's birthday.

Oh how I miss the good old days. :smokin

ShoogarBear
05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
The Capital Jazz Festival is nice. Usually I can't go because of an out-of-town conference that same weekend (like this year).

Columbia is almost exactly half-way between Baltimore and DC, but I would look for a hotel in Columbia or Laurel first unless you wanted to spend time downtown.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Somesthing with Buddy Guy in it.

:tu

Gatita
05-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Paquito D' Rivera :sombrero:

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Shoog:

We're probably gonna do something in Columbia. Joe I'm okay paying prices for a festival like Capital. The band line up is extraordinary. Usually just ONE of those acts commands a $40 or more on just a concert as a headliner...I've shelled out about $320 including after party/VIP smoozing on Saturday nite.

Simply can't beat this anywhere for the price value.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Shoog:

We're probably gonna do something in Columbia. Joe I'm okay paying prices for a festival like Capital. The band line up is extraordinary. Usually just ONE of those acts commands a $40 or more on just a concert as a headliner...I've shelled out about $320 including after party/VIP smoozing on Saturday nite.

Simply can't beat this anywhere for the price value.

I hear ya, although they may command $40 or more..I ain't paying it. If it wasn't my daughter's birthday wish you wouldn't find me there.

But a festival where you can see many bands I can...maybe see doing.

ShoogarBear
05-29-2006, 01:52 PM
G-Moore:

Ob. Hoops Note: I see Wayman Tisdale will be playing at the Capital Jazz Fest in the Rendezvous All-Stars along with Kirk Whalum.

If you can get out to Turf Valley on Friday night for the free event (or even the pay one on Sat night) it's highly recommended. They also have good golf out there, if you're into that.

Saturday, if you see Eric Benet, be sure to slap him upside the head and ask him WTF was he thinking?

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Shoog:

Yeah brah it costs on Friday night too. We spent some duckets on the Saturday tickets because we wanted to have pavillion seating for the night acts. But I've got all of Tisdale's albums. Ialso am a huge Rippingtons, Fourplay and Angie Stone fan.

We're skipping Friday night though. I've got dinner reservations at Phillips at Harborplace. The girlfriend and I are going to have dinner that night. But I definitely wanted to go friday night too.

We've got so much money out on vacations right now it's not funny...:lol

This is the first of THREE vacations before basketball season starts back up. It's also her first festival/concert since Bootsy Collins???!!!! :lol

Oh and you are so right but I think Halle a little flaky for any man!! First David Justice, then Eric Benet? Don't be surprised if she dumps the current guy for the same reasons...lol

Jekka
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Mediocre bands? Tom Petty, Van Morrison, Willie Nelson, Ben Harper, Shins, John Mayer, Ben Kweller, Damien Rice, Nickel Creek, Iron & Wine, Aimee Mann, Gnarls Barkley, Matt Costa (to name a few) will all be at ACL this year. Perhaps they're not mainstream or they're not your style, but mediocre? At least give the musicians some credit.

Holy shit! I'd pay that just to go see Damien Rice and Tom Petty - that's an awesome lineup.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 02:03 PM
I saw Tom Petty for $12.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Actually I'm thinking of checking out the ACL this year.

nbascribe
05-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't mind paying good money for tickets to a good concert or even traveling if it's during a time when I can juggle stuff around.

What I do hate is paying OVERPRICED tickets at a venue that won't fill up. Wasn't a happy camper at a Prince concert here at the Dome...to dayum cavernous.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 05:36 PM
any recommendations on newer jazz artists? i am looking to spruce up my collection a bit - i mostly have older stuff, the usual duke, mingus, miles, coltrane, monk, hancock, shorter (together and separately) but i also love the modern jazz quartet and ahmad jamal. i haven't really branched out too much recently jazz-wise since there is such an incredible backlog of those artists alone there hasn't been much of a need yet. i also dig some of madlib's work with mixing the blue note catalog, and the jazzy group he has called Yesterday's New Quintet - i think the turntable is an interesting compliment to a traditional jazz ensemble...

MannyIsGod
05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Holy shit, someone called ACL Fest overpriced and mediocre? You pay something under 2 dollars per band. How in the hell is that overpriced?

ACL Fest is an incredible value.

Bonowhatever is in Tennesse is it not?

katyon6th
05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Newer jazz artist? I'll recommend Jamie Cullum.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not that much into smooth jazz, but some of the hip-hop crossovers/remixers can sound good. I like what Joshua Redman (tenor) is doing these days, especially with his organ trio. Greg Osby (alto) is always a favorite; he and Jason Moran (piano) are kind of building on Andrew Hill's foundation, and Andrew is still around. Tomasz Stanko (trumpet) has got the "Kind of Blue" delicate, quiet sound down. Russell Gunn (trumpet) does some inventive crossover stuff.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 11:17 PM
i like a lot of the older more classic artists, but am not huge into smooth kenny g type jazz either. i am pretty big into john zorn too, thanks for the recommendations!

JoeChalupa
05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Holy shit, someone called ACL Fest overpriced and mediocre? You pay something under 2 dollars per band. How in the hell is that overpriced?

My cheap ass thinks so. :) And at $2 a band does that mean one can actually see every band? Plus the fact that I'm not really into the newer music may be a reason. But if I am going to pay this is what I'd do.

And Kelly Clarkson cancelled her SA show so I got my money back! Whoohoo!

But my daughter was bummed.

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
any recommendations on newer jazz artists? i am looking to spruce up my collection a bit - i mostly have older stuff, the usual duke, mingus, miles, coltrane, monk, hancock, shorter (together and separately) but i also love the modern jazz quartet and ahmad jamal. i haven't really branched out too much recently jazz-wise since there is such an incredible backlog of those artists alone there hasn't been much of a need yet. i also dig some of madlib's work with mixing the blue note catalog, and the jazzy group he has called Yesterday's New Quintet - i think the turntable is an interesting compliment to a traditional jazz ensemble...

Lee if you're into the smooth jazz stuff, there's a great selection out there. I'm fond of a lot of the hip/hop conversions from Verve and Hidden Beach Recordings but my favorites are the Rippingtons, Fourplay, Stanley Clark, Rick Braun, Kim Waters and a few others.

I'd hit Apple's iTunes music store if you want to see pretty much what's out there. I think Napster has a pretty good library too. I use iTunes because I've got mac equipment. could burn you something if you want a quick sample of what's out there.

tlongII
05-30-2006, 03:06 PM
That Capitol Jazz Festival sounds great! I'm a big jazz fan too....and over 40. I regularly attended the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival here, but it shut down a few years ago. Nothing like spending 3 days out in beautiful scenery with great jazz acts playing. Hopefully Bela Fleck and the Flecktones will doing a concert out here this summer. I would like to see them again.

katyon6th
05-30-2006, 03:11 PM

88 cents per band, Manny. 88 freakin' cents!! Do you plan on going this year? It shall be fucking awesome.

Bonnaroooooo...

The Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival is a four-day, multi-stage camping festival held on a 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tennessee.

So Tennessee? Yes, yes it is.

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 03:40 PM
That Capitol Jazz Festival sounds great! I'm a big jazz fan too....and over 40. I regularly attended the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival here, but it shut down a few years ago. Nothing like spending 3 days out in beautiful scenery with great jazz acts playing. Hopefully Bela Fleck and the Flecktones will doing a concert out here this summer. I would like to see them again.

I'm with you on that tlong......I've been to the JVC, Newport, Montreau and a couple of others. This is the first Cap fest I've attended and it's the girlfriend's first jazz concert ever. should be a blast!!

leemajors
05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
the value of ACL is definitely better than, say, sxsw, but there are multiple bands playing at the same time. 88 cents per band is pretty off. i'm just not into moderate rock.

katyon6th
05-30-2006, 04:22 PM
the value of ACL is definitely better than, say, sxsw, but there are multiple bands playing at the same time. 88 cents per band is pretty off. i'm just not into moderate rock.

It's a much better value than sxsw. You buy a wristband for sxsw and it doesn't even guarantee you a pass in the door to some of the shows. Kind of shitty but it allows you to check out other bands you weren't planning on seeing. And the 88 cents thing was taken off the ACL website. They do not lie. :spin

leemajors
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
It's a much better value than sxsw. You buy a wristband for sxsw and it doesn't even guarantee you a pass in the door to some of the shows. Kind of shitty but it allows you to check out other bands you weren't planning on seeing. And the 88 cents thing was taken off the ACL website. They do not lie. :spin

i was just pointing out it's impossible to see all 88 bands since there are several stages going at the same time- makes great propaganda. i hear they limited the number of people this year, i heard it was a nightmare either this last year or the year before - way too many people. i just hope i don't have any reason to go near downtown when it is going on, it will be impossible to get anywhere.

katyon6th
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
i was just pointing out it's impossible to see all 88 bands since there are several stages going at the same time- makes great propaganda. i hear they limited the number of people this year, i heard it was a nightmare either this last year or the year before - way too many people. i just hope i don't have any reason to go near downtown when it is going on, it will be impossible to get anywhere.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

They started limiting the number of people last year because in 2004 it was ridiculously packed. I swear I didn't want anybody touching me for at least 5 days after that weekend. Sweaty bodies galore. Eeeeewww.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 06:51 PM
If you're trying to get into the industry, a SXSW bracelet is much better money spent. I'd be one friendly motherfucker schmoozing with anyone I could. Of course, considring I've picked up my guitar maybe twice in the past year... :lol

Yeah we're going Katy. We're also going to see Damien Rice in July up in Austin. Tickets are 50 but he's playing with Fionna Apple, and he's Damien fucking Rice!

katyon6th
05-30-2006, 08:52 PM
If you're trying to get into the industry, a SXSW bracelet is much better money spent. I'd be one friendly motherfucker schmoozing with anyone I could. Of course, considring I've picked up my guitar maybe twice in the past year... :lol

Yeah we're going Katy. We're also going to see Damien Rice in July up in Austin. Tickets are 50 but he's playing with Fionna Apple, and he's Damien fucking Rice!

I agree about the sxsw bracelet.

Damien Rice and Fionna Apple? Holy fuck. What venue? Please say something like Stubbs or the Backyard. Please!

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Backyard.

AlamoSpursFan
05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
This year's Shiner B.A.S.H. was pretty sweet, if you're into Texas Music.

Daryl Lee Rush, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Randy Rogers Band, Reckless Kelly, and (for some unknown reason) Gary Allan (we bailed 3 songs into his set and we only stayed that long to finish the beers we had just bought).

Guru of Nothing
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Here's a suggestion:

Arkansas (http://www.bluesandheritage.com/)

leemajors
05-30-2006, 11:31 PM

2 of my friends are in a band called When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. they played sxsw and david byrne caught their show and told them they sounded pretty good, he couldn't talk for long after the show but they were all floored that he stayed to watch them. david byrne is the man, i think i'm gonna go watch stop making sense again.

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Okay quick recap.

The jazz festival was off the fugging chain!! We went Saturday night and after that day, we didn't even want to go Sunday. It was that good.

tlongII
06-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Okay quick recap.

The jazz festival was off the fugging chain!! We went Saturday night and after that day, we didn't even want to go Sunday. It was that good.

Can you tell who was in the line-up? The Rippingtons? Yellowjackets? Bela Fleck and the Flecktones?

tlongII
06-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Okay quick recap.

Dude,

I found the line-up and Fourplay was playing Sunday night. That would be a great show. Bob James on keyboards, Larry Carlton on guitar, Nathan East on bass, and Harvey Mason on drums. James, Carlton, and Mason are all standouts on their own. Hope you didn't miss that show!

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Tlong.....the festival was last weekend. We went Saturday and were so worn out, i sold my Sunday tickets. They were lawn seating anyways.

But next year we're doing all three days and we are going to buy the pavillion seats for all three days.

It was worth the money. I got brownie points and them little coupons to last me for months!!! lol