PDA

View Full Version : Who does Dallas lose this summer?

Dingle Barry
05-29-2006, 04:39 AM
After a bit of googling I haven't been able to find any specifics on free agency status of Mav players. Are they due to lose anyone? They are pretty damn deep so I would figure they are due to lose someone.

On a related note, I would absolutely love a player like Diop on the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Without looking anything up ... I think Van Horn, Terry, Armstrong and Griffin are free agents. They'll still be over the salary cap though.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Okay, I looked it up.

Add Mbenga to those 4.

Bruno
05-29-2006, 06:23 AM
The only quality player they can lose is Terry and it's quite sure they will re-sign it.

In fact Mavs 2007 > Mavs 2006.
They have some young players like Harris, Howard and Diop who will be better next year. They haven't old payers (except Stackhouse). They still will have one more year under Avery's coaching.

Don't forget too Suns : Nash, Stoudamire, Marion, Diaw, Bell, Barbosa, Kurt Thomas...

If Spurs don't do major trades/moves this summer, we can still start the fishing picture thread. We won't beat Dallas or Phoenix next year if our major offseason move is Javtokas or JR Smith.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 06:30 AM
The only quality player they can lose is Terry and it's quite sure they will re-sign it.

In fact Mavs 2007 > Mavs 2006.
They have some oung players like Harris, Howard and Diop who will be better next year. They haven't old payers (except Stackhouse). They still will have one more year under Avery's coaching.

Don't forget too Suns : Nash, Stoudamire, Marion, Diaw, Bell, Barbosa, Kurt Thomas...

If Spurs don't do major trades/moves this summer, we can still start the fishing picture thread. We won't beat Dallas or Phoenix next year if our major offseason move is Javtokas or JR Smith.
Get your fucking fishing pole out then, Bruno. If you haven't figured out by now that SA doesn't make major "sexy" offseason moves, and with three All Stars probably doesn't need to, nor do they have any caproom then you'd better get your ice fishing gear ready for next winter.

J.T.
05-29-2006, 08:32 AM
We creamed Phoenix last year and they are still playing the same kind of ball. It took Dallas 7 games and OT in the last game to beat us after blowing a 20 point lead. We should be scared of both of these teams why? We are very capable of beating them with the core that we have.

Drbio
05-29-2006, 08:43 AM
The Spurs will go into the 2007 season as a favorite regardless of how the Mavs finish. I see the Mavs and Spurs on an even keel now. Phoenix will be better with Amare if they will evolve into a more traditional offensive scheme. The Run and Gun will never win a championship.

BTW, the Mavs do indeed have FA issues with the guys listed above....Terry being the most important. I am not convinced that Cuban will open the wallet for Terry as he will likely get someone to offer him 8-10 mil over 3 years or so. Too rich for me. I'd rather sign a Sam Cassells and then let Devin Harris take the job full time.

If you want to know more about the Mavs and NBA in general, Patricia has a very informative site at http://www.nationwide.net/~patricia/mavs.html that lists all the contracts and stats.

ducks
05-29-2006, 08:46 AM
I am also thinking cuban may try to get sam for 2 years then had it over to harris
not convinced terry will be back

mavs may want to run terry and harris at the same time more next year. it was effective against spurs for the most part

leemajors
05-29-2006, 08:47 AM
the terry situation will be interesting, isn't howard eligible for a contract extension himself this summer?

Drbio
05-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I think he is a RFA.

Pandaemonaeon
05-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Jason Terry.
Before the playoffs started I had an "$8-million or walk" stand on Terry but now I am slowly reconsidering it and moving to "must resign him" mode. Harris isn't ready to take over the reins yet and I think they're a deadly combo that's well worth keeping around for years. Besides, we could always trade him to Cleveland or somewhere if Harris develops ahead of schedule.

DJ Mbenga
Unless someone overpays for him, retaining DJ is absolutely imperative.

Darrell Armstrong.
He's old but can still play. If we can't find a good third-string PG, having him around wouldn't hurt.

Keith Van Horn.
Yeah he sucks but I'd rather have him than Josh "I don't do nuthin" Powell.

Adrian Griffin.
I love this guy but it's just frustrating to see the defense just leaving him open knowing he can't shoot for shit. I also heard he waited all offseason because he wanted a bigger paycheck; maybe that'll come into play again this year, who knows?

It all depends on the draft. If we could get an athletic wing stopper like Bobby Jones and a back-up forward (ie. Novak, Augustine) then I'm fine with dropping Griffin and KVH.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Terry is going to get some big, long term offers. I imagine Cuban will suck it up and blow the salary cap to smithereens. Cuban claimed he was going to get fiscally responsible. We'll see.

Maybe the Spurs should go after Mbenga. Put a little hurt on Marky's wallet.

Pandaemonaeon
05-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Terry is going to get some big, long term offers. I imagine Cuban will suck it up and blow the salary cap to smithereens. Cuban claimed he was going to get fiscally responsible. We'll see.

I think he can afford to give Terry a huge contract with our salary cap more manageable than before. $10-million is the highest offer I can see someone giving him which isn't hard to match.

zocool16
05-29-2006, 10:30 AM
After a bit of googling I haven't been able to find any specifics on free agency status of Mav players. Are they due to lose anyone? They are pretty damn deep so I would figure they are due to lose someone.

On a related note, I would absolutely love a player like Diop on the Spurs.

DIOP????..... I don't know...

FromWayDowntown
05-29-2006, 10:30 AM

Terry will get big, long-term offers only if teams have room under the cap. I'm not sure which teams have that luxury this summer, but I'd think that there can't be too many of them.

Terry will face the ultimate choice: stay with a winner, perhaps for less money, or go elsewhere for the money without a promising future.

boutons_
05-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Now that the Mavs have finally gotten past the Spurs, the IH35 rivalry is really, really ON! Spurs/fans can't sniff at the Mavs anymore.

If this Mavs team is back next year, they will be as tough if not tougher for the Spurs.

Dirk/Josh/Devin/Jason are right there with Tim/Manu/Tony/nobody.

As weak as Mavs bigs are, they are better than the Spurs bigs.

RC/Pop/Sam ought to feel some real pressure this summer to find a backup PG and some bigs that really help our Big 3.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
DJ MbengaUnless someone overpays for him, retaining DJ is absolutely imperative.

Why? He's your third center, right?

I haven't seen that much of him (mostly because he hardly played), so what's so special about him, and what will you use him for if you resign him?

picnroll
05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Terry will get big, long-term offers only if teams have room under the cap. I'm not sure which teams have that luxury this summer, but I'd think that there can't be too many of them.

Terry will face the ultimate choice: stay with a winner, perhaps for less money, or go elsewhere for the money without a promising future.
Teams that can offer the max include Charlotte, Atlanta, and Toronto, I believe, all of whom are in need of a PG assuming TO doesn't keep Jones. Terry is possibly the best FA PG available. He may not get a max offer but he may get a substantial offer. Dallas is a winner which is probably attracive but 1) does he think Harris eventually beat him out as starting PG and 2) how much loyalty can an asshole like Cuban engender in his players? Probably not much. Of course Terry seems like a bit of an ass as well so maybe a good match there.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 10:50 AM
none of you mavs fans are squeamish about paying jason terry 10 million dollars? he obviously played well against the spurs but i don't know if he is worth that kind of money. the 2 pg lineup worked great against SA but may not be as effective in the future against the spurs or against other teams in general...

Dingle Barry
05-29-2006, 11:04 AM
if i am dallas I let Terry and his tiny head walk and put my stock in Harris

Drbio
05-29-2006, 11:12 AM
none of you mavs fans are squeamish about paying jason terry 10 million dollars? he obviously played well against the spurs but i don't know if he is worth that kind of money. the 2 pg lineup worked great against SA but may not be as effective in the future against the spurs or against other teams in general...
I would not go that high for JET. I love what he has brought this year...reminds me of the old F'em Nick Van Exel, but 10 mil is too much. I'd let him walk if it gets that high. I would not go more than 6-8 mil over 2-3 years max and would try to sign him for less.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 11:23 AM
No way Terry accepts a 2-3 year offer.

etex211
05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
What most people are missing here is that Terry is not a point guard. He has started at that position for the Mavericks because they have needed him to.

Terry is a shooting guard, and a good one. The Mavs should resign him.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
terry at sg is a bad mismatch for dallas against most teams, and harris is in no way ready to be a starter for a whole season. that's why i think it is quite a pickle for dallas, unless they can obtain a serviceable traditional pg.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Y'all are in serious denial if you think Dallas will be looking up at the Spurs as pre-season favorites next year.

Dallas is probably going to win the title this year, and Avery has demonstrated over the last year that he can coach circles around Pop.

The Spurs need to get creative this summer or we're going to be watching Dallas go for the repeat next year.

Further, our off-season moves should focus on finding someone we can match up with guys like Terry and Howard (or at least slow them down).

DampierAmGod
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Harris is not ready to take over at PG and Terry has been great there for us. 10 million is too high but Terry won't take money over the chance to win. Before coming to Dallas the best season he had was 35 wins in Atlanta and now he's on a yearly title contender with Dallas. I think he'd take a couple million dollar cut to stay on a contender over going to places like Charlotte, Toronto, Orlando or back to Atlanta.

Findog
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I think he can afford to give Terry a huge contract with our salary cap more manageable than before. $10-million is the highest offer I can see someone giving him which isn't hard to match.

Terry isn't going anywhere. Van Horn's contract is $15 million per and it comes off the books this summer. Terry will get his salary slot.

clubalien
05-29-2006, 01:09 PM

I thought they got terry just so they could wait tell their rookie draft PG could be proven. And the reason they let nash go was because he was to expansive and they had aquired a good PG in the draft to replace him. BUt now can anyone tell me whay mavs woudl NOT give the max to the MVP in NASH but will want to give it to terry, which i think was just a short term solution until pg in draft turned good.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Terry isn't going anywhere. Van Horn's contract is $15 million per and it comes off the books this summer. Terry will get his salary slot.
Right around the corner is Howard and in Terry's contract window is re-upping Dirk at mega-bucks and Devin Harris. The Dumpster and Daniel's are on the books for a long time. Either Cuban keeps trying to buy the ring or joins the rest of the league in being fiscally responsible.

We all know Cuban wants what's best for the league and competitiveness. LMFAO.

Findog
05-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Right around the corner is Howard and in Terry's contract window is re-upping Dirk at mega-bucks and Devin Harris. The Dumpster and Daniel's are on the books for a long time. Either Cuban keeps trying to buy the ring or joins the rest of the league in being fiscally responsible.

We all know Cuban wants what's best for the league and competitiveness. LMFAO.

Marquis Daniels is probably getting moved this summer in a salary dump. He makes $5 million and Avery doesn't seem to be a big fan of his game. This is the perfect series to play him and he can't get on the court. I imagine if we need to move Dampier we only need to call up Isiah Thomas.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 01:17 PM
And who will pick up that dump? Daniels hasn't exactly made himself a hot commodity with his playoff performance? Dampier? Good luck.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 01:31 PM

even with 15 mill off the books, they are still way over the cap - i think their payroll was 90 million this year, second only to the knicks. i guess we'll find out whether cubes was serious about being somewhat fiscally responsible. paying nearly the salary cap in luxury tax probably gets old after a while.
Edit: sorry, the 90 mill was for 04-05. with finley's salary not counting, it was probably down a bit. but still pretty high.

Shank
05-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Diop fucking sucks. DAMPIER is way better. Diop just had one good stretch against Duncan.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or just plain idiocy.

Your gay-ass signature tells me it's the latter.

Diop is a major key in Dallas taking over this Phoenix series. And to say he only had one good stretch against Duncan is selling him way short. He did it in OT of a game 7 with a broken nose. There's nothing that "fucking sucks" about it.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 01:35 PM
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or just plain idiocy.

Your gay-ass signature tells me it's the latter.

Diop is a major key in Dallas taking over this Phoenix series. And to say he only had one good stretch against Duncan is selling him way short. He did it in OT of a game 7 with a broken nose. There's nothing that "fucking sucks" about it.

diop was a non-factor until that overtime for the most part. duncan was dehydrated, but diop stepped up and stopped him. i still don't think he's a long term answer at center, but was a very good cheap pickup. dampier is way overpaid for what he does.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Duncan owned Diop all series. Diop hung with a Duncan after Duncan played nearly a full game and was cramping up. That said Diop >>>>>> Dumpy. Nice pickup by the Mavs.

Findog
05-29-2006, 01:58 PM
And who will pick up that dump? Daniels hasn't exactly made himself a hot commodity with his playoff performance? Dampier? Good luck.

Daniels is a slasher who can get to the rim. Lots of teams would kill to have a young player like him. He can post up guys too with his size. His biggest weakness is that he doesn't seem to focus at times and bear down, but he only gets 10-15 minutes a night under Avery anyway. He makes $5 mil and I think he has 3 years left on his deal after this season. He's 25 or 26. If they want to move him, they won't have any trouble finding suitors for a guy who's shown lots of promise, even if he's far from a finished product.

Dampier's a decent big man, an overpaid decent bigman. If the Mavs were able to move Juwan Howard's contract, they can move Dampiers.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 02:00 PM
You're right skanky. Any game Tim Duncan requires 5 IV bags after, Diop can hang with Tim. :lol

Shank
05-29-2006, 02:07 PM
You're right skanky. Any game Tim Duncan requires 5 IV bags after, Diop can hang with Tim. :lol

IV bags?

picnroll
05-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Daniels is a slasher who can get to the rim. Lots of teams would kill to have a young player like him. He can post up guys too with his size. His biggest weakness is that he doesn't seem to focus at times and bear down, but he only gets 10-15 minutes a night under Avery anyway. He makes $5 mil and I think he has 3 years left on his deal after this season. He's 25 or 26. If they want to move him, they won't have any trouble finding suitors for a guy who's shown lots of promise, even if he's far from a finished product.

Dampier's a decent big man, an overpaid decent bigman. If the Mavs were able to move Juwan Howard's contract, they can move Dampiers.
Daniels has 4 years and $26 million to go. This is for a guy who doesn't have much of a bball IQ and makes bad decisions on both ends of the court. Dampier has 5 years and $50 million to go and has been relegated to being a backup. Mavs can move them sure, for other bad contracts. That was the game Cuban played before, taking on worse contracts plus talent and picks. That was when he wanted to spend $100+ million and before Stern decided to put real bite in the luxury tax.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 02:12 PM
IV bags?
intravenous fluid. Duncan was totalled by the minutes and having the Dallas sumo wrestlers grabbing and holding him all night.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 02:12 PM
nevermind my earlier edit, mavs were at 96 mill in payroll this year. intravenous fluid, shank.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 02:14 PM
i think daniels would just need more playing time to quit making some of those decisions. he can get to the rim, and usually finishes well. but for whatever reason avery doesn't play him, and it shows when he does get minutes.

Shank
05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
I know what IV bags are. Haven't heard a thing about Timmy needing 5 of them after a game.

leemajors
05-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I know what IV bags are. Haven't heard a thing about Timmy needing 5 of them after a game.

he only had two, but he should have kept himself better hydrated anyway.

anon101
05-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I thought they got terry just so they could wait tell their rookie draft PG could be proven. And the reason they let nash go was because he was to expansive and they had aquired a good PG in the draft to replace him. BUt now can anyone tell me whay mavs woudl NOT give the max to the MVP in NASH but will want to give it to terry, which i think was just a short term solution until pg in draft turned good.

Cuban let Nash (who was a solid all-star but never in the MVP discussion while he was in Dallas) go because of concerns about durability. The significant difference between the Dallas offer and the Phoenix offer was an additional guaranteed year. And even then, Cuban miscalculated and never really thought Nash would sign with Phoenix without a few more rounds of negotiation and attempts to restructure the offer. On top of that, Cuban was concerned about the lack of flexibility having so much of the cap tied up in an aging Finley and Nash was going to cause. If he had known he was going to get the amnesty to wave Finley, he might well have been more willing to tie up money in Nash.

Harris was drafted to be Nash's back-up and to train under him for 3 or 4 years before eventually taking over when Nash retired. Terry was a panic move once Nash was lost to keep from going into the season with nothing but a project rookie at the point.

Its a panic move that's worked out, and there are no particular concerns about Terry's durability--either in terms of lasting out a post-season (Nash *always* wears down) or the length of his next contract. And while Cuban doesn't want to overspend anymore, he's still more than willing to pay for results. If Terry's the starter on a championship team this year, Cuban will take care of him.

Dallas is unlikely to change much for next year. We'll lose our 3rd string center (Mbenga) and probably our back-up PF (Van Horn, unless he's willing to take an enormous pay cut to stay with a contender). And Marquis will be expendable in a trade if they can find one while they try to address 2 needs -- back-up PF and a 3-pt threat who can play some defense.

DampierAmGod
05-29-2006, 03:18 PM
even with 15 mill off the books, they are still way over the cap - i think their payroll was 90 million this year, second only to the knicks. i guess we'll find out whether cubes was serious about being somewhat fiscally responsible. paying nearly the salary cap in luxury tax probably gets old after a while.
Edit: sorry, the 90 mill was for 04-05. with finley's salary not counting, it was probably down a bit. but still pretty high.

Well it will take awhile before you can see if Cuban was serious or not, they are still years in the hole from his overpaying days. Damp, Finley, Bradley, Eshmeyer (sp), Daniels. Oh, and plenty of teams will be interested in Daniels. At one point in time around here, Marquis Daniels was seen as someone with more potential than Josh Howard. But he just isn't someone who fits into AJ's style apparently.

Spurologist
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
It's not very often you lose your owner due gang raping by gorillas, but it's very possible.

SenorSpur
05-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Good idea. I hope some team offers Terry some crazy bank.

As for Mbenga, I've always loved his "raw" athleticism. He'd be a good project for a backup center.

pussyface
05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Sourologist that was so funny!!!
Are you a comedian by profession, or do you just have a gift for rich comedic material? You remind me of a young Lenny Bruce.

ponky
05-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Diop fucking sucks. DAMPIER is way better. Diop just had one good stretch against Duncan.

Did you watch Game 3 last night? Diop kept Nash out of the paint and while Nash got some points, he didn't get them from the paint. Diop has gotten better at making baskets if he's fed the ball in the paint. Of course, when you compare Diop to Duncan there's not really a comparison but most teams don't have a Duncan. You have to remember, Diop is only 24, he's still developing his skills and spent lots of time sitting on the bench in Cleveland before Dallas picked him up and utilized him.

KVH can go and I think Marquis will be traded away, not that I have much against him, he just doesn't fit in right now and JHo has eclipsed him. I can see giving up KVH, Marquis, Powell and maybe Marshall but that's it.

DirkAB
05-29-2006, 03:48 PM
nevermind my earlier edit, mavs were at 96 mill in payroll this year.

But that 96 mil is inclusive of Finley's 16 mil that actually doesn't go against their salary cap. I believe it also includes the 4.5 mil that Shawn Bradley had signed before retiring, so that shouldn't be included either. Plus anothe 1.5 for Christie who also retired, so they weren't nearly as bad off as it would seem.

Next year they should be in the $50 mil range before making a run at Terry. They absolutely need to move Daniels if he isn't going to recieve any more PT than he does, I think it is imperative that they resign Terry, if they want to continue down this road of success.

ponky
05-29-2006, 03:48 PM

I think by *fiscally responsible* Cuban was referring to the $2 tickets for games next season and the lower season ticket prices, WOOHOO!!!!

Spurologist
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Sourologist that was so funny!!!
Are you a comedian by profession, or do you just have a gift for rich comedic material? You remind me of a young Lenny Bruce.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/305/syntax0kg.jpg

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-29-2006, 04:26 PM
i heard that the Mavs already had a contract ready for Jason Terry

this is from someone who works in management in an NBA organisation so dont take it too seriously :lol

Spurologist
05-29-2006, 04:32 PM
i heard that the Mavs already had a contract ready for Jason Terry

this is from someone who works in management in an NBA organisation so dont take it too seriously :lol

I would be shocked if he isn't re-signed. Who hit all of Dallas' clutch shots? Nope, it wasn't Dirk. He listens to too much David Haselhoff during crunch time. It was Terry. Big mistake by the mavs if he isn't re-signed.

T Park
05-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Dallas is probably going to win the title this year,

:lmao

not over Miami or Detroit no.

mavsfan1000
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM
diop was a non-factor until that overtime for the most part. duncan was dehydrated, but diop stepped up and stopped him. i still don't think he's a long term answer at center, but was a very good cheap pickup. dampier is way overpaid for what he does.
Diop had trouble with Duncan. What people don't notice as much is how well Diop guards the paint. Take Diop out and put Van Horn in and it is a layup drill. The whole offense of the spurs changed to more jump shooting because of Diop. That's why Finley was inserted in the lineup. If you go with jumpshooting you might as well bring the best ones in for that job.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Did you watch Game 3 last night? Diop kept Nash out of the paint and while Nash got some points, he didn't get them from the paint. Diop has gotten better at making baskets if he's fed the ball in the paint. Of course, when you compare Diop to Duncan there's not really a comparison but most teams don't have a Duncan. You have to remember, Diop is only 24, he's still developing his skills and spent lots of time sitting on the bench in Cleveland before Dallas picked him up and utilized him.

Exactly. I'm not sure if Diop is only going to get a little better or he's going to make a huge leap at some point, but with the lack of decent or even functional centers in the NBA, letting him go would be crazy.

jaysmooth004
05-29-2006, 06:29 PM
terry at sg is a bad mismatch for dallas against most teams, and harris is in no way ready to be a starter for a whole season. that's why i think it is quite a pickle for dallas, unless they can obtain a serviceable traditional pg.

well i honestly dont think jason terry is worth ten mil, and come on guys lets not kid ourselfs. we all know that mark cuban is not gonna pay terry the big bucks. he didnt do it with nash, finley nor van exel.

texas84
05-29-2006, 06:37 PM

If the Spurs do this, I WILL BE PISSED!! :nope

I really do think that he will be a pretty good center. He definitely has some developing left to do tho. He has the defensive/blocking/energy potential of a Ben Wallace, and a little bit of an offensive game too. Maybe a hybrid of Ben Wallace/Amare Stoudamire. A mix of the two.

Unfortunately, we have 2 centers under contract for a few more years and Mbenga wants more PT. I think it is unlikely the Mavs keep him.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Somebody will go after Mbenga, an Atlanta, a New Orleans, or someone else with cap space and a big need for a big man. He is third in the league per 48 minutes in blocks.

DampierAmGod
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
not over Miami or Detroit no.

The same Detroit who had to go to 7 just to beat LeBron James? We've had great success against both teams this year, we match up well with Miami and we are simply better than Detroit. Bitter much?

Spurologist
05-29-2006, 07:50 PM

I'm Mbegging that he stays right where he is.

mavsfan1000
05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Mbenga would be awesome for the spurs. They would have 2 shot blockers which would make it a nightmare once again to go into the paint. The problem with Mbenga though is he gets in foul trouble a lot.

Pandaemonaeon
06-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Why? He's your third center, right?

I haven't seen that much of him (mostly because he hardly played), so what's so special about him, and what will you use him for if you resign him?

Granted most Mavs fans overrate him but he's a strong and athletic shotblocking big with a fast improving offensive game, something that most teams pay a premium for -- you just don't let guys like that walk away. He came in handy when Damp and Diop picked up a lot of fouls guarding Gasol and I expect him to do the same next year.

And who will pick up that dump? Daniels hasn't exactly made himself a hot commodity with his playoff performance?

I'm pretty sure Isiah couldn't resist a straight-up Malik Rose swap. Shorter contract and he could be Dirk's back-up or our center in a small ball line-up. And probably wishful thinking but trading him to the Hornets (along with another filler) to get PJ Brown would also be nice.

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I think we can all agree that standing pat after winning a championship does not always translate into success in the following season. Every year after the Spurs won other teams got better while we tweaked our lineup. Dallas needs to think long and hard about offering Terry a long term contract because if they do then the team remains as is while other teams improve. I think Dallas has to realize that teams such as the Spurs will tweak their rosters to add more athleticism and take way the Mavs ability to create mismatches. If this happens what does Dallas do with no roster flexibility or cap space? Now the same theory applies to the Suns as well because last year we were able to play small ball with them and they withered. I don't think Dallas would wither away but they played almost a perfect half in game 7 and still almost lost. I do believe Dallas will win the championship this year because of the nightmare matchups they will pose to either EC team but beyond this year they will not catch anybody off guard.Like all 29 teams who don't win they gear their rosters to compete with the better teams. I know Dallas has a decision to make in that do they stand pat? What happens if other teams get better and they have no more moves left? Interesting offseason is Dallas but if they win the championship no one is going to worry about next year's roster until training camp.

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
I think Cuban is almost guaranteed to resign Terry after sniffing the title this year. Considering he is obsessed about winning, Dallas is in pretty good shape cap wise...Van Horn and his 15 million contract come off this year and unless he resigns on the cheap he is gone. Next year will be the nutcheck for Cuban...He will need to resign Josh Howard and he will command big bucks...Stackhouse and his 8 million contract come off that year but unless they get another reliable bench scorer they will probably need to pay up to get Stack to stay...Dampiers inflated contract will come into play down the road as well...his 10 million+ a year contract for the next 5 years makes him virtually untradeable...they are stuck with him as their starting 5 and don't really have any options there...The most humorous aspect is that Cuban will be paying Finley 17 million next year and 18 million the following year to play for the Spurs...gotta love that..

SPARKY
06-01-2006, 08:15 AM
The interesting thing will be if Cuban throws big $ at Terry at age 29 after balking at paying a 30 year Nash a couple years ago.

Pandaemonaeon
06-01-2006, 08:34 AM
The interesting thing will be if Cuban throws big $ at Terry at age 29 after balking at paying a 30 year Nash a couple years ago.

Nash was a hobbling playoff performer every year and has a history of injuries while Terry's anything but.

DuncanInYourFace
06-01-2006, 08:39 AM
But that 96 mil is inclusive of Finley's 16 mil that actually doesn't go against their salary cap. I believe it also includes the 4.5 mil that Shawn Bradley had signed before retiring, so that shouldn't be included either. Plus anothe 1.5 for Christie who also retired, so they weren't nearly as bad off as it would seem.

Next year they should be in the $50 mil range before making a run at Terry. They absolutely need to move Daniels if he isn't going to recieve any more PT than he does, I think it is imperative that they resign Terry, if they want to continue down this road of success.

I thought it still counts against the cap, but you don't have to pay luxury tax on it

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Granted most Mavs fans overrate him but he's a strong and athletic shotblocking big with a fast improving offensive game, something that most teams pay a premium for -- you just don't let guys like that walk away. He came in handy when Damp and Diop picked up a lot of fouls guarding Gasol and I expect him to do the same next year.
Makes sense, but wouldn't a guy like that be pretty desperate to go somewhere where he's not going to be buried deep on the bench?

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Salary situation for all teams here...

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

I hope Dallas keeps Mbenga...he's extremely raw, very athletic, works really hard, and the fans love him. And he's a black belt in judo...good guy to have if a brawl breaks out :lol

I don't think Terry will get what Nash was offered...but I definitely hope they re-sign him...

The should launch KVSuck out of a cannon...I'd rather see Josh Powell in the game than him...

leemajors
06-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Salary situation for all teams here...

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

I hope Dallas keeps Mbenga...he's extremely raw, very athletic, works really hard, and the fans love him. And he's a black belt in judo...good guy to have if a brawl breaks out :lol

I don't think Terry will get what Nash was offered...but I definitely hope they re-sign him...

The should launch KVSuck out of a cannon...I'd rather see Josh Powell in the game than him...

van horn's points were the difference vs the spurs! how soon we forget.

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
van horn's points were the difference vs the spurs! how soon we forget.

I thought it was the officiating that was the difference?? :smokin

Definitely didn't forget...he just happened to hit a few shots...the guy blows ass. Overpaid, defensive liability, streaky shooter, and injury prone...

Might be worth $1-2M/yr next year...just keep him off the court when Dirk is on, or if it's crunch time...