PDA

View Full Version : Mental block

ducks
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Mental block
Four days after the fact, Manu Ginobili was still upset over his foul on Nowitzki late in Game 7 of the Spurs-Mavericks series. Popovich and his wife planned to take Ginobili and his wife out to dinner Friday so the coach could remind Ginobili just how important he has been to the Spurs' success. ``We want to let him know how great he is, and we'd have two less championships if he hadn't been here," Popovich said. ``He has been so despondent for a while because he is so tough on himself. You want to treat him like he was your son." The Spurs were leading by 3 when Nowitzki drove to the hoop late in Game 7. Popovich had told his team not to foul, to prevent a 3-point play, but Ginobili went for the block, missed, and Nowitzki's 3-point play enabled the Mavs to tie a game they eventually would win in overtime. ``Manu is the most competitive player that I've ever been around," Popovich said. ``He comes up with a lot of plays that help you win." That was said well before Game 7. But those are words Popovich still stands by.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2006/05/28/nowitzki_was_driving_force/?page=4

boutons_
05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I would have thought that Manu blowing a lead and game @SAC resulting in his ensuing despondency would have been a huge lesson for Manu. But then he turns around and does it again vs Mavs, to be eliminated, no repeat.

Can't fault his heart and competitiveness, but his basketball head was not at the same level these playoffs. Pop just said "don't foul", so Manu fouls the shooter. duh.

I love the guy.

Fabbs
05-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Very nice gesture.

Will anyone be taking Pop out to dinner, reminding him that his defensive and GMing skills have contributed to 2 titles, not to get too despondent over his insistence on Stand n Veg No Movement Offense?

romsey31
05-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Man up chump...worrying is for the weak. Experience is the greatest teacher...he can only learn from that experience.

Extra Stout
05-29-2006, 12:04 PM
If Manu doesn't foul Dirk, how do we know the Spurs win?

The Mavs would have been down 1 with 21 seconds to play. They would have fouled the Spurs to make them shoot free throws. Would the Spurs have made every free throw?

Would the Spurs really have stopped Dirk from scoring any other possession in those last 20 seconds? Instead of going to overtime 104-104, who's to say they wouldn't have gone to OT 107-107?

Manu needs to get over it.

Spurzilla
05-29-2006, 12:17 PM

The Mavs would have been down 1 with 21 seconds to play. They would have fouled the Spurs to make them shoot free throws. Would the Spurs have made every free throw?

Would the Spurs really have stopped Dirk from scoring any other possession in those last 20 seconds? Instead of going to overtime 104-104, who's to say they wouldn't have gone to OT 107-107?

Manu needs to get over it.

You are exactly right about the free throw situation. Nobody knows what the future would have been had the foul NOT been committed. Manu will get over it and he will be better than ever.

Spurs in '07
Repeat in '08

exstatic
05-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Very nice gesture.

Will anyone be taking Pop out to dinner, reminding him that his defensive and GMing skills have contributed to 2 titles, not to get too despondent over his insistence on Stand n Veg No Movement Offense?
Really? 2 titles? Which one did he NOT contribute to? Enquiring minds want to know...

td4mvp21
05-29-2006, 02:07 PM
I think he needs to move on. No ones mad at him anymore. He nearly blocked that shot anyway.

pjjrfan
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Manu's aggressive play is what makes him such a great player, this year, he just wasn't the same Manu, and it showed in the playoffs. I love the guy, I'm sure he will come back with a vengeance, I just don't see Manu fading away into obscurity because of one bad play. This is the guy that showed the world how to beat the US team. He has overcome more substantial obstacles in his career.

T Park
05-29-2006, 02:57 PM

they keep inbounding to Finley and Ginobili making FTs, and forcing the Mavericks to shoot bad threes, aka like game 6.

Thats how.

Chris
05-29-2006, 03:01 PM
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6179/webber6zx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
"It's ok Manu, we all make mistakes!"

smeagol
05-29-2006, 03:11 PM
The guy is so competitive he is still upset.

That is a good thing, in case people hadn't noticed.

SenorSpur
05-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I love the guy, but it was a "bonehead" decision to foul Dirk.

For those that say "no one knows what would have happened if the foul had not occurred", I say that's true, but I also say bullshit! I'll gladly take a one-point lead with 20 something secs left and put the ball in the hands of the best FT shooter on the team - Finley.

If foul doesn't happen, I'm confident that the Spurs (not the Mavs) are playing the Suns in the WCF.

Yes, it was a bonehead play. Mistakes happen and unfortunately it won't be his last. However, there's absolutely no questioning Manu's heart and competitivness. That's what makes him an invaluable cog to the Spurs success. I'm grateful that he's a Spur and that he's locked up for years to come.

I'm actually glad he's still bothered by the play because that means he's gonna come back and play next season with a "chip on his shoulder". Hopefully, he'll be healthy and well-rested.

Good gesture on Pop's part.

Fabbs
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM
they keep inbounding to Finley and Ginobili making FTs, and forcing the Mavericks to shoot bad threes, aka like game 6.
Thats how.

Bingo. True we don't know that Fins or GNob would have sunk both free throws, but I'll put my money on 98% chance that combo of Spurs made FTs and Dallas 3 pt miss would have happened.

timvp
05-29-2006, 06:37 PM
As Manu ages, I hope his Basketball IQ continues to grow. Right now, he's about average or slightly below average. The way he plays, he's 100% heart and determination.

Now if he can master the mental part of the game and get a little bit better at shooting the three, he can last five or six more years.

angel_luv
05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Pop is a really good man. I am glad he is the coach.

And I hope Gino has stopped being unhappy. He did really well- all the guys did.

We'll get them next year. :)

SpursStillTippin
05-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe its what we needed as a team that has done it all, well amost done it all except repeat. Didnt anyone notice that when we were down big it almost seemed like Finley was the only spur playing with that fire? maybe its cause he has never won a title and he had that fire. Pop preaches that fuel that the pistons have played with this year, maybe we can go out and play with that passion in 07.