PDA

View Full Version : International Basketball : Marks Remains Retired

NZHayden
05-29-2006, 04:04 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/727113

Marks remains retired
May 27, 2006

Kiwi NBA player Sean Marks has confirmed his unavailability for the Tall Blacks' 2006 FIBA World Championships basketball campaign.

Basketball New Zealand had asked him to reconsider his decision to retire last year, but Marks, whose San Antonio Spurs were eliminated from the NBA playoffs earlier this week, has officially notified the national body that he will not be changing his mind.

"I will be upholding my decision to stay retired from international basketball," he said. "I have many fond memories from my experience with the guys over the years and will always remain an avid follower of the team.

"Due to growing family commitments, it is impossible for me to devote the needed time in summer months and I am sure those of you that have families at home understand."

Marks (30) was especially reluctant to join the campaign midway through the build-up, as he did for the 2002 world championships and 2004 Athens Olympics.

"This would only have been a distraction," he said. "I hope this opens the door for some fresh blood on the team, and gives some younger guys a chance to grow and participate on a very high international level."

Tall Black coach Tab Baldwin has greeted the news philosophically.

"While we're obviously disappointed for the Tall Blacks not to have Sean for the world championships, there are certainly no hard feelings," he said. "He is making a professional decision, which is understandable in the context of his life.

"Sean made his position clear from the very beginning and we always knew he was a long shot. It's time for us to respect his decision, wish him well and move forward with the talent we have."

Earlier this month, a 30-man extended squad was named to prepare for the world championships and Baldwin will whittle that back to 20 in mid-June for a camp beginning July 3.

The Tall Blacks' competitive programme begins with the Jeep International Series against Australia in Napier, July 12 and 14.

Bogut to face Tall Blacks
May 24, 2006

Australian star Andrew Bogut has committed to playing for the Boomers in the forthcoming Ramsay Shield against New Zealand and at the World Championships in Japan.

The power forward/center, who was outstanding at the Athens Olympics in 2004, is coming off an excellent rookie campaign with the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks.

The Melbourne-born 21-year-old hasn't played on home soil since 2002 and is anxious to face the Tall Blacks in both Hobart and his home town during the four-game series next month.

"It's very exciting to come home and have the support of the whole of Australia and try to hopefully sell-out Vodafone Arena (Melbourne), which we should," Bogut told Sportal in Australia.

Bogut played 82 regular-season games and then five post-season contests for the Bucks.

"I've taken a couple of weeks off, probably two weeks now and I want to start training already," Bogut said.

"I just get so bored, doing nothing. It's really exciting for me, especially for some family who don't have a chance to come over to the States and watch me play and some friends who I went to school with.

"I can hopefully get them all tickets and it will be special for me to have those people come and watch me."

The Ramsay Shield is a tournament which honours Oceania basketball pioneer Al Ramsay. It begins with two games in New Zealand on July 12 and 14, before the teams head to Hobart on July 17 and Melbourne on July 19.

NZHayden
05-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Rats he doesn't want to play for the tall blacks, but wanting to spend time with family, theres nothing wrong with that.

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 04:05 PM
I knew he wouldn't play for NZ.

Do you think he'll retire from the NBA too?

NZHayden
05-29-2006, 04:07 PM
i have no idea, i hope not

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Sean wants to keep himself fresh for the 200 minutes of floor time he sees in the NBA.

I like the guy, but if we're never going to play him we need to go younger.

T Park
Retired from the wrong league.

boutons_
If the Spurs don't kick him out, why would he turn down his salary?
He's not hurt or aching or fat like Nick. He knows his role on the Spurs, and probably nobody else is interested in carrying him.

Big $$$ vs whatever he'd make outside of basketball,
practicing and travelling with the Spurs.

I love to be in his shoes. :)

Kori Ellis
05-29-2006, 06:25 PM
He's not hurt or aching or fat like Nick.

He's hurt all the time.

Remember when the Spurs activated him this season for a game they needed him and he got hurt in shootaround? :lol

He's so injury prone it's ridiculous.

T Park
05-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Sean Marks makes Willie Anderson look like AC Green.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I think Marks sprained his ankle while he was getting it taped up once.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Sean Marks makes Willie Anderson look like AC Green.

Sean Marks gets laid that often???? :wow