PDA

View Full Version : Agent confident Ricky is CFL-bound

atxrocker
05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/05/27/ricky.cfl.ap/index.html

TORONTO (AP) -- It appears to be a matter of time before Ricky Williams joins the Toronto Argonauts.
Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, said Saturday his client hasn't yet received permission from the Miami Dolphins to play in the Canadian Football League this season. However, Steinberg expects the Dolphins to allow the former Heisman Trophy winner to suit up for the Argos in 2006.
"Although I am loathe to say that because it could put some pressure on the Dolphins, I would be incredibly surprised and disappointed if it didn't happen," Steinberg said when asked whether Williams' joining the Argos was a certainty. "I assume it will happen but I'm being very careful to be very delicate here.
"I have a terrific relationship with the Dolphins and [Miami coach] Nick Saban has been terrific in his support of Ricky."
Williams was suspended by the NFL for the entire 2006 season after a fourth positive drug test. He missed Miami's first four games last year following his third positive test.
Williams and Steinberg are in Toronto and have met with Argos ownership and president Keith Pelley. However, the two sides have gone as far as they can until the Dolphins give their blessing. Williams is still under contract with Miami for the next two seasons.
Once the Dolphins grant their permission, Steinberg said it won't take long for Williams to sign with Toronto. The Argos opened training camp a week ago and are scheduled to play their first exhibition game Friday night.
Williams won't come cheaply, though. He will reportedly earn around $250,000 with Toronto, which would easily make him the highest-paid running back in the league. He is interested in the CFL because it would allow him to stay in shape and make money. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he retired in 2004.
The Dolphins' main bone of contention surrounds player contracts in Canada. The standard CFL deal is for one year, with the club holding the option on a second season. If Williams signed such a deal with Toronto, he would have to clear waivers in the CFL after the 2006 season in order to return to the NFL.
But if another Canadian team claimed Williams, he'd have to go there and play out the 2007 season.
"Nick Saban wants to make it crystal clear that Ricky returns there after this year," Steinberg said. "Miami wants it absolutely air tight that they won't lose this player."
The 29-year-old Williams rushed for 743 yards last year and averaged over 4 yards a carry with Miami despite missing the club's first four games.

what a dumb bastard of a retard. 240,000/yr contract. hope that was some damn good weed to sacrafice an NFL salary :hat

Winnipeg_Spur
05-30-2006, 12:03 AM
This is a day or two old, as Williams has already signed and I think even practiced with Toronto.

Good thing the Winnipeg Blue Bombers signed their own NFL player on a drug suspension, Onterrio Smith. Sure, he's not as good as Ricky, and he showed up to training camp 20 pounds overweight, but at least we're on the druggie bandwagon too. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
if by lame you mean corso's gonna be first in line to buy the new ricky jersey, CORSO

Chris
05-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Ricky's a pimp. He's like "yeah I smoke weed and I don't give a fuck. Ima' still get paid too." I respect Ricky for not bowing down to the system.

CubanMustGo
05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
I can't wait to see Ricky dealing with the blizzard conditions the CFL encounters late in the season. Ain't no pussy-boy domed stadiums in Saskatchewan.

sa_butta
05-31-2006, 10:47 AM
I can't wait to see Ricky dealing with the blizzard conditions the CFL encounters late in the season. Ain't no pussy-boy domed stadiums in Saskatchewan.He wont even feel it when he is getting lit up.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Ricky's a pimp. He's like "yeah I smoke weed and I don't give a fuck. Ima' still get paid too." I respect Ricky for not bowing down to the system.

rack

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2006, 07:36 PM
I dont think yall are grasping the reality of the situation...

Ricky Williams is going to rush for 4000 yards this season.

mookie2001
06-02-2006, 07:43 PM
maybe not 4000, but at least 30tds

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2006, 07:47 PM
He's going to rush for 4000 yards and 30 touchdowns, it'll be just like NCAA 2004 vs the computer

Winnipeg_Spur
06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
UPDATE:
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=sked&func=review&sked_id=99

WINNIPEG (CP) - Charles Roberts rushed 32 times for 133 yards and one touchdown as the Blue Bombers defeated the Toronto Argonauts 16-9 Friday night.

Roberts, last year's CFL rushing champion, said before the game he wanted to out-rush Argo running back Ricky Williams.

He did that u in a big way.

Williams, the NFL's 2002 rushing champion, only touched the ball eight times for 14 yards.

The penalty-filled game in front of 26,524 fans at Canad Inns Stadium evened both teams' records to 1-1-0.

Winnipeg's other scoring came off three Troy Westwood field goals from 35, 31 and 13 yards.

Toronto kicker Noel Prefontaine accounted for his team's points with field goals of 24, 52 and 47 yards.

Former Bomber quarterback Spergon Wynn, starting in place of injured veteran Damon Allen, was sacked six times.

Wynn completed 13-of-25 passes for 94 yards. Winnipeg's Kevin Glenn was good on 13-of-23 passes for 141 yards.

The Bombers led 7-3 after the first quarter, scoring on their opening drive when Roberts ran three yards for his first touchdown of the season. He had 85 yards on 17 carries in the first half.

Toronto capitalized on a bad Bomber snap and instant replay to get on the scoreboard late in the first quarter.

Winnipeg punter Brian Claybourn had a low snap sail past him and ran back to fall on the ball at his own 22-yard line.

Wynn then appeared to fumble the ball before a pass attempt after being drilled by defensive tackle Doug Brown.

Winnipeg recovered the ball, but Toronto head coach Michael (Pinball) Clemons made his first challenge of a call this season. He was successful as the referee ruled it was an incomplete pass.

With third down and five yards to go, Prefontaine booted a 24-yarder at 12:18.

The only scoring in the second quarter was a Prefontaine field goal and a pair by Westwood for a 13-6 Bomber halftime lead.

After a scoreless third quarter, Westwood chipped in a 13-yarder at 4:13 of the final quarter and Prefontaine connected on a 47-yarder at 9:39.

Notes: Former Winnipeg players Dave Vankoughnett, Brett MacNeil and Michael Gray were honoured at halftime to mark their induction into the Blue Bombers Hall of Fame.
I was at that game! Fucking awesome! :)

RIICCKKYYY... RIICCKKYYY... RIICCKKYYY
:drunk

McKenzie
06-25-2006, 06:33 PM

Seriously, this isn't because I'm a Saints fan and Ricky used to be ours, but I always had to wonder why the F they couldn't leave the weed alone here. Roids, take them out. Meth, they take themselves out. Stoned? Maybe a bit slower? Is there a problem with him being mellow? I support pot smoking. I think a lot of folks self medicate and that one works well. So be it.

Now, if he starts getting popped with a couple hundred kilos, I may not be so mellow. :smokin