PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to get pounced on. "Bruce Bowen should not start"

AFE7FATMAN
05-30-2006, 05:27 AM
I think it would be better to keep BB on the bench, until the other team has
a shooter that is getting hot. Than send in Bruce to shut him down.
This way the spurs will not have to play offense 4 on five.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Bruce's offense is key to the Spurs system. I feel better when he shoots his 3s than when I see any other Spur pull up. Also, the way he's improved his drive he's got the best mid range game on the team outside of Finley. Bench him? No fucking way.

caŽlo
05-30-2006, 06:03 AM
why the fuck would u bench the 2nd runner up (or the real imho) DPOY?

shelshor
05-30-2006, 06:34 AM
I think it better not to let someone on the other team get hot in the first place

Duncanoypi
05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
after this...let TD come off the bench also....

Doc Jerome
05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
I am just wondering; if the Spurs somehow finally get the long athletic 3 that can play good defense and already has offensive skills (mid-range jumper,great driving skills, and modest 3-pt shot) how much time do you play Bruce? In this scenario, doesn't the new guy need to play too, especially against the better teams in the west?

Yes, Bruce fits the Spurs perfectly, but I am sure his role will most certainly change, especially if his offensive game and rebounding are lacking. Let us hope that father time does not get the best of Bruce, as I am sure Bruce will do everything in his power to be ready for next season.

But stay tuned, . . . :fro

Parker 09
05-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Prevention is better than a cure, don't wait until the player is hot just stop them from getting hot.

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2006, 07:38 AM
we should save him against teams that have ungaurdable 3s.

xcoriate
05-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Also, the way he's improved his drive he's got the best mid range game on the team outside of Finley.

Come on now, lets not be over the top.

Bruce still gets the nod IMO but Manu, Parker, Udrih and Barry all have better midrange games than Bowen.

strangeweather
05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I am just wondering; if the Spurs somehow finally get the long athletic 3 that can play good defense and already has offensive skills (mid-range jumper,great driving skills, and modest 3-pt shot) how much time do you play Bruce? In this scenario, doesn't the new guy need to play too, especially against the better teams in the west?

Yes, Bruce fits the Spurs perfectly, but I am sure his role will most certainly change, especially if his offensive game and rebounding are lacking. Let us hope that father time does not get the best of Bruce, as I am sure Bruce will do everything in his power to be ready for next season.

But stay tuned, . . . :fro

If we somehow get that guy and he's ready for real minutes, my guess is that Fin slips out of the main swingman rotation.

But lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

Texas_Ranger
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Bowen will start, you like it or not

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Bruce didn't show any signs of slowing down on the defensive end this season, which was actually one of my biggest concerns in the begining of the season. The long, athletic 3 will be better to start against teams like the Cavs since Bruce has a hard time guarding big, quick guys like Lebron. Other than that, if Bruce can continue to play the way he had this season, I don't see why we would want him to come off the bench.

angel_luv
05-30-2006, 10:02 AM

Who would you start instead?

leemajors
05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
the spurs didn't have any problems scoring in the playoffs. it was the defense that was suspect. so you want to bench our best perimeter defender? genius.

Mavschick
05-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Bruce isn't a one-dimensional defender like Adrian Griffin or Ira Newble who you only throw out there when the other team's best scorer is on the court. He can be a complementary offensive weapon with his shooting range, and in the half-court O he doesn't mind doing the dirty work like setting picks or boxing out, etc. He offers a myriad of other skills aside from his D.

angel_luv
05-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Bruce isn't a one-dimensional defender like Adrian Griffin or Ira Newble who you only throw out there when the other team's best scorer is on the court. He can be a complementary offensive weapon with his shooting range, and in the half-court O he doesn't mind doing the dirty work like setting picks or boxing out, etc. He offers a myriad of other skills aside from his D.

:tu

Well said. Cute avi!

td4mvp21
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM

Nicely said Mavschick!

ChumpDumper
05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Our center is the problem. Not SF.

SAGambler
05-30-2006, 11:15 AM

Apparently you have forgotten the nights where Bruce put up 11, 12, 15 points on offense...

Bruce is always a threat from 3 pt land, and the opposing team must respect that and keep someone close to him, so even if he is not scoring, it still takes one of the defenders out away from the basket.

Also, you may have noticed this year Bruce has added that little drive and shoot from 10 or 12 feet out....

Oh, and you may also notice, there is no more "hack a Bruce", since he apparently worked hard on his FT shooting over the summer and is shooting them much, much better now.

So don't think for a minute that Bruce "takes away" from our offensive game.

baseline bum
05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Bruce Bowen is here to guard starters. What's the point of having a defensive stopper as good as him in to guard bench guys?

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Manu doesn't have much of a midrange game. Neither does tony. Beno does, but Beno sucks all around.

So I'll give you Beno and Finley, but otherwise the next best midrange game on this team belongs to Bowen.

SpursWoman
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh, and you may also notice, there is no more "hack a Bruce", since he apparently worked hard on his FT shooting over the summer and is shooting them much, much better now.

His FT shooting has always been excellent ... in practice. I think Don Nelson cured him of his actual in-game woes in the 2003 WCF. :spin

Please_dont_ban_me
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I agree. (sadly)

He was brought in to be a Kobe stopper. Well, there is no more Lakers threat...if there is, you can stick him back in the lineup. I don't think anyone else warrants that type of attention to keep Bruce out there. Finley brings much more to the table, and has proven he can play some defense.

temujin
05-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Bowen's block on Novitzki is on my screen.
Bring in a decent center.

timvp
05-30-2006, 05:00 PM
I've actually contemplated what would happen if the Spurs aren't able to get a rebounder to put next to Duncan. I think you have two options:

1) Get a great rebounder who can play in small ball to put next to Duncan.
2) Get two good rebounders who can play in small ball and replace Bowen in the starting lineup.

As it stands, the Spurs need to put in a great rebounder next to TP, Manu, Bowen and Duncan. On a whole, that is a poor rebounding foursome. If you don't get a great rebounder, you'd then have to make up for it by putting two good rebounders next to TP, Manu and Duncan.

Rebounding was the number one problem this season ... especially when going small. That is the hole that most needs plugged this offseason.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2006, 05:01 PM
This thread is laughable.

If anyone is out of the starting lineup in the fall, it's Manu not Bruce.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM
I've actually contemplated what would happen if the Spurs aren't able to get a rebounder to put next to Duncan. I think you have two options:

1) Get a great rebounder who can play in small ball to put next to Duncan.
2) Get two good rebounders who can play in small ball and replace Bowen in the starting lineup.

As it stands, the Spurs need to put in a great rebounder next to TP, Manu, Bowen and Duncan. On a whole, that is a poor rebounding foursome. If you don't get a great rebounder, you'd then have to make up for it by putting two good rebounders next to TP, Manu and Duncan.

Rebounding was the number one problem this season ... especially when going small. That is the hole that most needs plugged this offseason.

Someone in the Kenny Thomas mold?

leemajors
05-30-2006, 05:03 PM

not at his salary :drunk

Please_dont_ban_me
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
not at his salary :drunk

I mean height and playing style wise.

I'm not a big Kenny Thomas fan myself. High salary or not.

Spurologist
05-30-2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.thethirteenthstep.com/stfu/threadfail.gif

timvp
05-30-2006, 05:19 PM

Or in the Reggie Evans mold.

I'm all for Bowen to keep starting. That's why I want Reggie Evans.

But if the Spurs get someone like Jared Jeffries, they'd still need more rebounding in their playoff go-to lineup. This year, TP, Manu, Bowen, Finley/Horry and Duncan just didn't rebound well enough. When it was Finley in there, it was a horrible rebounding team.

TP, Manu, Bowen, Jeffries and Duncan would still be a bad rebounding lineup. Bowen had a pretty good year rebounding, but compared to Marion, Diaw, Howard, Artest and other small forwards on good teams in the West, he's near the bottom in that regard. So the Spurs would be screwed again next year in the playoffs.

Bottomline is the Spurs need Reggie Evans or someone like him to be able to grab a damn board in the postseason. Getting outrebounded in 11 of the last 12 playoff games should've been enough of a wakeup call.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Or in the Reggie Evans mold.

I'm all for Bowen to keep starting. That's why I want Reggie Evans.

But if the Spurs get someone like Jared Jeffries, they'd still need more rebounding in their playoff go-to lineup. This year, TP, Manu, Bowen, Finley/Horry and Duncan just didn't rebound well enough. When it was Finley in there, it was a horrible rebounding team.

TP, Manu, Bowen, Jeffries and Duncan would still be a bad rebounding lineup. Bowen had a pretty good year rebounding, but compared to Marion, Diaw, Howard, Artest and other small forwards on good teams in the West, he's near the bottom in that regard. So the Spurs would be screwed again next year in the playoffs.

Bottomline is the Spurs need Reggie Evans or someone like him to be able to grab a damn board in the postseason. Getting outrebounded in 11 of the last 12 playoff games should've been enough of a wakeup call.

Part of that is the Spurs scheme. They send most guys back on defense, and leave Duncan + Whoever the other big in there is, to hit the boards. Playing small ball pretty much negates that strategy.

I don't think it's fair to say Bowen/Finley's rebounds were down when they're playing out of position. He's really strong, yet mobile/agile. I dno't know if he's a great rebounder, but he has the Malik type hustle at least. Seems he has the IQ of my left nut though.

As for Evans, I wouldn't mind him on my team. Even though his shit's annoying.

greens
05-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Bruce Bowen has started in every single game since 2001 or 2002, I think...And that's one of the main reasons as to why we have two championship rings. The truth is that he is the best defender in the league. If we don't start him, our defense will crumbe...not only that...the "superstar" players on the opposing team will shoot way too many points without Bruce guarding them...Bruce is known for stopping the best players...

I think he was incredible in this series against the Mavs. His block on Dirk was just amazing...No one would have been able to do that on Dirk...And if you notice, in Game one, his defense is what prevented Dirk from scoring that crucial point...We won that first game, thanks to his defense as well as other factors...

Pop knows that Bruce is at the core of defense. He will put him on anyone that is getting hot, whether tall or big or whatever...He is our weapon in guarding big stars...To not start him, it would mean that Kobe or Carmelo or Ray Allen or whoever will get all the shots they want...Plus let's not forget that Bruce was the champion of three point shots just a few years back. The guy can shoot those threes very well, indeed...

Think back to Game 7 last year with Pistons...If Pop put someone else to guard Chauncey in that last minute to play...That three would have gone in...and we would be up two points as opposed to five points...And we all know that under a minute to play and two point difference does not mean much at all...So I think in a way that Bruce does not get enough credit for that awesome block on Chauncey's three point attempt...He just timed it so perfectly...

Also I think Bruce has the record for playing the most consecutive games for the Spurs...

SequSpur
05-30-2006, 07:59 PM
WTF does Bruce have to do with the fishing trip?

greens
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
well if you are trying to play small ball against a bunch of guys that score......screw the defense and put nothing but guys that can shoot.

Bruce can make his incredible three point shots very easily...I believe in Game 7 against Dallas, he scored 3 three point shots...That helped to prevent us from trailing by as much as 30 points...we trailed by 20 points instead...

ShoogarBear
05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
The fact is that Bruce has to start slowing down. He's violated all biological laws by essentially improving ever aspect of his offensive game over the past four years while losing none of his defense; there will almost certainly be a decline in the next year or two.

If the Spurs can find a more traditional 3 with young legs, I'm all for transitioning Bruce to the bench (and squeeze an extra year or so out of him). Problem is, I just don't see who that would be.

greens
05-30-2006, 09:42 PM
The fact is that Bruce has to start slowing down. He's violated all biological laws by essentially improving ever aspect of his offensive game over the past four years while losing none of his defense; there will almost certainly be a decline in the next year or two.

If the Spurs can find a more traditional 3 with young legs, I'm all for transitioning Bruce to the bench (and squeeze an extra year or so out of him). Problem is, I just don't see who that would be.

Really good defensive players are very hard to find. Especially to be nearly as good as Bruce is, that's difficult to find. There a ton of high scoring players, but just a few really good defenders...

ShoogarBear
05-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, yeah. We're not going to find another Bruce Bowen.

But if we find a capable defender with a better-rounded offensive game, the Spurs will be better for having them both.

Nobody would complain if we had, say, Josh Howard groomed to start for Bruce this year.

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 09:47 PM
But if we find a capable defender with a better-rounded offensive game, the Spurs will be better for having them both.

Nobody would complain if we had, say, Josh Howard groomed to start for Bruce this year.

:fro

greens
05-31-2006, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I see what you're saying...But I don't know...It would make me too nervous if another player came on the Spurs to be groomed to be the next Bruce...It's like the saying "out with the old, in with the new"...Then I'd be worried that the Spurs might trade Bruce or not give him another contract or something like that...Plus I just don't see Bruce showing his age for at least few more good years...He is very fit and really works hard at keeping good diet and working out. I think he still has years before he retires...But yeah, it would be a good idea to groom someone to be like him...But I think right now it's way too early to do that...Maybe in two years or something like that...