PDA

View Full Version : Finding blame? Pistons must look in mirror

alamo50
05-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Players need to worry about themselves, not their coach

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060529/060529_celizic_hmed10p.hmedium.jpg
The Detroit Pistons can only blame themselves for their struggles against the Heat, writes columnist Mike Celizic.
Luis Alvarez / AP

COMMENTARY
By Mike Celizic
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 12:53 a.m. ET May 30, 2006

All year long, the Pistons said Flip Saunders was the best thing since endorsement contracts. He gave them freedom, let them be creative, helped them to the best record in the team’s history.

They can’t change that tune now, not when they’re down 1-3 to the Heat and faced with a nearly impossible task of winning three straight to get back to the NBA Finals for the third straight year. The players took credit for the winning. They’ve got to accept blame for the losing.

This is on the players. Despite — or because of — their success over the past four years, the Pistons have become a team with an arrogance that isn’t merited by their individual talents.

That’s not necessarily bad. No great player or team is without a certain swagger that comes from absolute confidence in the ability to rise to the occasion, no matter how dire the situation.

The Pistons have taken it to an extreme, almost seeming to court danger. Two years ago, they went down 2-3 to the Nets before winning the final two games of the Eastern Conference Finals. This year, they played the same game against Cleveland, forcing themselves to win two straight to advance to the East Finals against the Heat.

They played hard all year to get home court all the way through the playoffs, then promptly gave it back in Game 1 of the East Finals with a performance low on energy and urgency. But, when they won with relative ease in Game 2, they convinced themselves they were in control again.

They have a switch, they like to think, and they can turn it on any time they want. That’s a nice belief to have, but it can encourage a team to coast, smug in the feeling that things will turn around whenever they choose to hit that switch.

So no one was willing to draw any conclusions from their big loss in Game 3. That’s how the Pistons have been playing — one good, one bad, one good. On, off, on, off, on, off.

But there was something different about this loss. After Game 3, instead of rolling out another victory guarantee, Piston Rasheed Wallace said nothing. Considering his lack of production, it was a wise move. Center Ben Wallace, through, started whining that coach Flip Saunders wasn’t spending enough time practicing defense, concentrating on offense, instead.

If the Pistons have spent too much time working on offense, it hasn’t showed in the three losses to the Heat. Monday night, they went long periods looking as if they didn’t know it was legal to pass the ball, and their designated assassin, Rip Hamilton, came to work without his dead eye.

Saunders said the griping didn’t mean anything. In fact, he said, the team griped all year long, but hadn’t done so publicly. Before Game 4, he said it didn’t mean anything.

After Game 4, it’s evident it means a lot. Despite their team-record 64 regular-season wins, the Pistons are playing without the intelligence, passion and cohesiveness that characterized their two consecutive trips to the finals.

The Pistons never played pretty basketball, even when they were winning a title two years ago and coming within one win of a second straight last year. But victories don’t need to be run through a spa to make them presentable. And losses, no matter how artfully they are assembled, are always ugly.

But the Pistons are redefining losing ugly. What was stunningly obvious Monday was that Detroit has no go-to guy. When the Heat had the ball, Miami’s great young guard, Dwyane Wade, took over the game in the fourth quarter, pulling off several highlight-reel plays. When the Pistons had it, Hamilton, the hero of so many big wins over the past couple of years, put up more bricks than the third little pig.

Wade finished the game 8-for-11 from the floor; Hamilton was 4-for-15. And the Pistons, the team that built its success on smothering defense, allowed the Heat to hit shots at a .549 rate while Detroit couldn’t break .400.

Not only couldn’t the Pistons play defense, they also sent the Heat to the free-throw line 47 times.

The Pistons briefly fought their way back into Game 4 after being down 14 points in the first half. But no sooner had they taken a lead than the Heat came back and crushed them, scoring 27 points in the fourth quarter, their most productive 12 minutes of the game.

That should never happen to a great basketball team, and for the past two years, it didn’t happen to the Pistons. They may have lost to the Spurs in seven last year, but it wasn’t because they stopped playing defense and stopped playing hard and smart. It was because the Spurs were the better team.

This time around, faced with a stern challenge, the Pistons are simply falling apart. They keep saying they can come back, and they’re right, they can. But not playing the way they did Monday night.

Mike Celizic is a frequent contributor to MSNBC.com and a free-lance writer based in New York.

Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13039781/)

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 08:24 AM
:pctoss I go away for 3 days and come back to see the Pistons in a 3-1 hole? What the hell is wrong with them?

Darrin
05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
:pctoss I go away for 3 days and come back to see the Pistons in a 3-1 hole? What the hell is wrong with them?

Identity crisis, too much finger-pointing, and an arrogance that worked against them with this hungry Miami Heat team that has taken the right attitude - if it doesn't happen this year, it will never happen.

MadDog73
05-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Identity crisis, too much finger-pointing, and an arrogance that worked against them with this hungry Miami Heat team that has taken the right attitude - if it doesn't happen this year, it will never happen.

Hmmm, I think the Mavs have the same attitude...

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Pistons will be title contenders as long as they have this starting 5. However, I now question how far they'll go under Flip. He doesn't seem to have the control to reign in his players that Brown did.

MadDog73
05-30-2006, 09:00 AM
If Detroit get knocked out in 5 or 6 by the Heat, do they get a new Coach?

JamStone
05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
I put the blame on Shaq on being unstoppable and Dwyane Wade being unbelievable.

Pistons haven't played great this series. But, make no mistake about it, the Miami Heat are beating them.

The Pistons have to play their best basketball to try to extend this series.

They cannot keep firing their coach every season or every other season. I expect Flip to be back, but perhaps an addition of an assistant coach who will specialize on defense.

DarkReign
05-30-2006, 10:22 AM
I have never seen this in my life. How do 2 players from the other team just OWN everything all the time?

Seriously, check DWades back pocket...his shooting% is directly related to his deal with the Devil.

For 4 straight games, he cant fucking miss. Ever miss. Ever. Think about that.

mabber
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I have to admit, I really respect the Piston fans that post in here. Unlike a lot of the Spur's fans, y'all give credit to the opposing team. It's very refreshing. Keep the hope.

mabber
05-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Hmmm, I think the Mavs have the same attitude...

Let's hope they do. You can't expect to win a title with any other attitude.

MadDog73
05-30-2006, 10:35 AM

You're talking about Dirk, right?

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 10:36 AM
I have never seen this in my life. How do 2 players from the other team just OWN everything all the time?

Seriously, check DWades back pocket...his shooting% is directly related to his deal with the Devil.

He went to the line 18 times. I've seen Lebron, Kobe, Duncan, etc play similiarly. When you're hot, your hot. Plus, Pistons look tired out there which doesn't help their cause. If they were fresher, they'd be better. They went to 7 games in the semi's while the Heat got to rest their players.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 10:37 AM
You're talking about Dirk, right?

:lmao Exactly, add his name to my list above.

boutons_
05-30-2006, 10:49 AM
"Mavs have the same attitude..."

No. They are just getting started under Avery and nobody key is at the end of his career.

Miami's "now or never" hunger would obviously derive from Shaq's situation. As the commentators keep saying, he's playing better, is more active than he has been for years. It looks like he can keep he weight down and still play his game. I figure Shaq also knows this year is his last year, physically and above all mentally.

The Mavs don't have the same key guy at the end of his rope.

Darrin
05-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Miami's "now or never" hunger would obviously derive from Shaq's situation. As the commentators keep saying, he's playing better, is more active than he has been for years. It looks like he can keep he weight down and still play his game. I figure Shaq also knows this year is his last year, physically and above all mentally.

It's not just Shaq. As a matter of fact, I believe it's more Alonzo Mourning, and to a lesser extent, Gary Payton.

Gary Payton - 37-years-old - 0 rings, abused by Chauncey Billups and this Pistons team in 2004 NBA Finals.
Alonzo Mourning - 36-years-old - 0 rings, kidney disease forces two retirements.
Shaquille O'Neal - 34-years-old - 3 rings, none in 4 years.
Shandon Anderson - 33-years-old - 0 rings, hasn't been in the Finals since 1998.
Derek Anderson - 31-years-old - 0 rings, lots of injuries.
Jason Williams - 30-years-old - 0 rings, hasn't been out of the first round since 2000.
Antoine Walker - 30-years-old - 0 rings, hasn't been out of the second round since 2002.
James Posey - 29-years-old - 0 rings, hasn't ever been out of the first round.
Michael Doleac - 29-years-old - 0 rings.
----
Udonis Haslem - 26-years-old, only in the league since 2003-04.
Dwyane Wade - 24-years-old, only int he league since 2003-04.
Jason Kopono - 24-years-old.
Wayne Simien - 23-years-old.
Dorell Wright - 21-years-old.

Only Wade and Haslem, a combined 6 years in the league, are in the rotation every night, and not hearing the footsteps of father time. Add to that Pat Riley's credentials and his age, the fact he's coaching probably no longer than the end of last season...it's not just Shaq. It's everyone.

Bob Lanier
05-30-2006, 01:20 PM
When the better team loses a series, there's a reason.

And make no mistake, Flip Saunders is a major part of that reason. The inherent arrogance of Chauncey Billups and every other player on the roster combined is still less important than the miserable job being done by the head coach of managing the game, and is subsumed by the miserable job being done by the head coach of managing personalities.

Who is Mike Celizic?

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I love how many of the same Pistons fans who once proclaimed that the Pistons arrogance and swagger were a large part of their success and identity are now denouncing the Pistons for the very same reason.

FreshPrince22
05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
I love how many of the same Pistons fans who once proclaimed that the Pistons arrogance and swagger were a large part of their success and identity are now denouncing the Pistons for the very same reason.

There's a fine line.

What this team needs? A new coach and some young blood in the rotation (Max, Delfino, maybe Amir).

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 01:53 PM
^Still, my point remains. The so-called arrogance/swagger/attitude/on-off switch seemed to have worked well for you guys the first 94 games before this series. Now, it seems to be their weakness.

It's the coach's job to rein in and rally his players. Obviously he can't control their attitude/actions, however the Sheed incident last game where he wouldn't even come into the huddle during a TO, the Ben Wallace incident where he wouldn't listen to Flip and go back into the game, and I'm sure many more incidents like this show that the players obviously don't have the respect of their coach, something which needs to be earned. There's a reason why guys like Tony Parker and Manu withstood the many ass-whippings they got from Pop over the years---because above all else everyone on that team knows/trusts/respects Pop.

Flip needs to turn things around here. Obviously his lack of experience deep in the playoffs can also be considered a factor, as well as guys like Sheed, Ben, Billups, etc acting like spoiled 7 year olds. Those losers better get their act together, I don't want no Mavs or Heat as champs :flipoff