PDA

View Full Version : The Fix: Back to Detroit basketball

Mavs<Spurs
05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I didn't see this topic in the list of new threads. If I missed it, I apologize.

Detroit basketball is championship basketball. I believe that if they return to the fundamentals of the game and what characterized Detroit basketball at its best, they are the best team in the league. I know that they have the ability to advance to the Finals.

I don't advocate for anything new or novel. I am going to dare to state the obvious, something that many commentators have already said and a lot of basketball fans believe.

First, back to basics. I disagree with Hubie when he says that the problem with the Pistons is their offense. The Pistons offense historically when they have been in the Finals has been just good enough to win it all or come within minutes of winning it all. On the other hand, their defense has either been the best in the league or tied with San Antonio for best in the league.

They are allowing too many points in the paint. The truth is that the team that scores the most in the paint usually has the higher percentage shots. Over the course of a 7 game series, that team will usually win. Normally, I don't as a Pistons fan want Detroit to double. Here, I think that they absolutely must double on Shaq and/or Wade, at least in the paint.
Let everybody else try to beat you. I simply don't believe that Antoine Walker, James Posey, Jason Williams, Udonis Haslem and/or Gary Payton can beat you.

Moreover, the Heat are not a good perimeter shooting team, with the exception of Posey from 3 and Wade from midrange. The zone Flip employed is not a terrible idea if they can force the Heat to shoot from the perimeter. However, the zone must effectively stop penetration and they must defensively rebound well.

When Shaq has the ball in the paint, double off of Jason Williams or Walker or Payton. If you front him, you must defend the passer closely and well. You must also rotate to him quickly if he gets the ball. Try to draw offensive fouls on him.

When Wade has the ball, play him for the drive and have help defenders alert for his drives to the basket. Although he is a good perimeter shooter, his shooting percentage will go down dramatically if you force him to become more of a perimeter shooter. Moreover, he won't stay in that comfort zone that he is now in. Easy scores at the rim give him the rhythym and confidence he needs to shoot well. As Hubie said, when he spins attack his dribble. Force him to give up the ball, especially at the end of the game with aggressive double teams off of Payton or Williams or Walker.

Again, the entire purpose of the zone is to force the Heat to shoot from outside. If you allow easy baskets by Shaq or Wade in the paint, then the whole purpose of the zone is defeated.

If you are playing man to man, have Teyshaun guard Wade and treat him as a driver. Back off of him. While he is a good midrange shooter, I would prefer that he take midrange jumpshots to dunks.

Play the passing lanes better. Trap often, especially against Williams who is vulnerable to turnovers. Also, trap against Wade. Play frenetic aggressive defense. 2 of the next 3 games will be in your house at Auburn Hills. Feed off of the energy of the crowd to play that tough Detroit defense.

By playing Detroit defense, you will see a lot more turnovers and ineffective possessions by the Heat. Then, they will not be able to set up their defense. Furthermore, it will lead to a lot more easy buckets in transition. That will help your field goal percentage.

I think that a large reason whey Detroit's field goal percentage (on offense) is so low is that they are not playing good defense. Good defense leading to easy transition buckets will change that for the better.

On offense, Detroit must establish Sheed in the post. He can shoot over anybody in the post and be effective. He must resist the temptation to shoot the ball from 3 too often. Every once in a while is cool, but too often and you are trading a 3 pt shot from Sheed for a dunk by Shaq or Wade and that is not a battle that you will win. They should also keep posting Chauncey against Williams. Williams has zero chance of stopping Chauncey on the block. Teyshaun should continue to drive to the basket and Rip should keep running off curls and taking his normal midrange shots. We are trying to create easy opportunities. That play that Flip ran in the second half seemed to work really well. Keep running it until Miami proves that they can stop it.

Make Shaq come out on pick and rolls. Have Ben Sheed and Teyshaun sprint to the basket every time Detroit obtains possession of the ball. That will tire Shaq out.

The only people shooting the 3 with frequency for Detroit should be Chauncey and Rip and they must maintain good floor balance (against Miami it is not as important, but against Dallas it will be).

Detroit must rebound the ball with the urgency that they showed against the Cavs in game 6 in the final 2 minutes.

Remember 2 of the last 3 games are in Detroit. You know that you can win there. You only need 1 road game and to hold serve at home.

Go Pistons!!!

Nothing against the Heat, they are a great and unless they are playing Detroit or the Spurs, I cheer for them. My favorite teams are Spurs (1), (2) Detroit and (3) anybody playing the Mavs, especially the Heat!!!

DarkReign
05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I like the breakdowns and you would probably win with said strategy.

Problem is, these players arent listening. Honestly, I dont think they really care anymore either.

I think the pressure has finally broken them. They just want to go home, with their families, no basketball, no practice, no X's no O's, theyre tired, and beaten.

I dont think they win game 5. I think they leave their homecourt on Wednesday to "Boooooooo!"

And they deserve it. No fucking effort.

baseline bum
05-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I think Detroit at least forces a game 7 in this series.

PaceMonster
05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
^nope...over in 6

bdubya
05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I dont think they win game 5. I think they leave their homecourt on Wednesday to "Boooooooo!"

And they deserve it. No fucking effort.

Not enough effort so far, and they're letting the occasional reffing problem get into their heads. But DAMN, it's a little early to raise the white flag. They've shown in every game this series that when they quit fuckinaround, they can take control, and I expect to see that tomorrow. The dangerous game is #6; their shooters, especially Walker, are much more dangerous at home. But on the road they can be controlled IF the Pistons play Pistons ball. I'm disappointed in the coaching and the lack of team cohesiveness, and very unpleasantly surprised by how the Heat's backup cast has been showing up, but THIS IS NOT OVER.

(edit: great post, manurules. :tu)

zech
05-31-2006, 07:00 AM
good post

NBA Junkie
06-02-2006, 02:13 AM
The key to Detroit extending this series is getting Shaq into foul trouble by continuing the aggressive offensive play they displayed in game 5.

Weren't the Pistons watching the earlier Heat-Bulls series when the Bulls did this successfully?

Vinnie_Johnson
06-02-2006, 08:38 AM
^nope...over in 6

Okay heat fan this is your last chance to take them down if it goes seven the heat are toast.

MadDog73
06-02-2006, 09:31 AM
If Heat lose tonight, they still have a chance.

Remember, Piston fans, we all thought Mavs were over in 7 as well. :depressed

Sometimes, you just can't win.