PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Destination: Italy

Gatita
05-30-2006, 12:05 PM
It has been decided that we are going to get married in Italy. Either in 2007 or 2008. That is still being discussed.

My question is for those of you who have traveled there, which city were you most impressed with?

angel_luv
05-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh how wonderful!!!

I am planning a back packing trip in 2007 that includes Italy so I am intersted in locations as well.

I am so happy for you Gatita! :D

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Lake Como is sweet...

Gatita
05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh how wonderful!!!

I am planning a back packing trip in 2007 that includes Italy so I am intersted in locations as well.

I am so happy for you Gatita! :D

Thanks babygirl!

We figured San Fernando Cathedral/Dominion <3333 Italy

:lol

Gatita
05-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Lake Como is sweet...

That was suggested amongst the Lake District.

angel_luv
05-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks babygirl!

We figured San Fernando Cathedral/Dominion <3333 Italy

:lol

I am with you! :)

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Now I am hungry for some good italian food...

Gatita
05-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I am with you! :)

Now we don't have that pesky problem with who to invite. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
are you goin to have ur weddin on pops vineyard? :):) and destroy his crop for playin small ball :D JK

CONGRATZ MATE

Gatita
05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
are you goin to have ur weddin on pops vineyard? :):) and destroy his crop for playin small ball :D JK

CONGRATZ MATE

It can be arranged for the right price.... :lol

kris
05-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Antartica is cheap, white, and you can got a lot of quick jabs on those ex's and relatives that are frigid or bitter about you getting married.

Gatita
05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Antartica is cheap, white, and you can got a lot of quick jabs on those ex's and relatives that are frigid or bitter about you getting married.

:lmao

JoeChalupa
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Congratulations! Best wishes. Italy is beautiful.

tlongII
05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
It has been decided that we are going to get married in Italy. Either in 2007 or 2008. That is still being discussed.

My question is for those of you who have traveled there, which city were you most impressed with?

So I guess I got no chance with you any more? :depressed

Old School Chic
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Are we all getting roundfare trip tickets for the wedding?

Gatita
05-30-2006, 02:12 PM
So I guess I got no chance with you any more? :depressed

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6042/rock8zn.jpg

The Rock has spoken...No! :lol

Gatita
05-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Are we all getting roundfare trip tickets for the wedding?

As long as you are buying... :sombrero:

If not, we do have this option for those who want to come on our dime

http://re2.mm-b1.yimg.com/image/762490510

easjer
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Congratulations! I have no real advice, having never been in person, but I think that is a terrific idea. That will be so beautiful.

Gatita
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Congratulations! I have no real advice, having never been in person, but I think that is a terrific idea. That will be so beautiful.

The hard part will be deciding which city to have it in.

I was looking @ Amalfi as a possibility.

We are getting everything set up for us by a wedding planner we found via the web.

www.weddingitaly.com

:sombrero:

I don't even want to begin thinking about the dress... :bang

spurs=bling
05-30-2006, 07:16 PM
congrats.

can i come?

Kori Ellis
05-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Congratulations. That seems awesome. So would only your closest family and friends be coming?

I don't know much about Italy, but Slomo could probably recommend some destinations. He's a European expert. :)

jman3000
05-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I went to Italy after my freshman year in highschool as part of one of those school trip things. I remember the island of Capri was gorgeous... but I guess that doesnt count as a city... though they do have a small town where the port is...other than that... I'd say that Rome is the most impressive.. but also the most crowded/dangerous/expensive. Pompeii was cool to visit because of all the history... not to mention the looming active volcano on the edge of town. You can basically choose any section (except for the deep south) of Italy and be happy with your decision.

ObiwanGinobili
05-30-2006, 07:25 PM
:tu :tu
awesome idea! no family, no friends, no annoyances. just you and ed. :)

veruca
05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
CONGRATS!!! Regardless of what city you get married in, you and your spouse to be should go to the Eternal City; my husband and I spent 8 glorious days in Rome but it still wasn't enough and it was super-romantic. JMAN3000--when did you go? I never felt it was a dangerous city even walking the streets at night. The prices were fairly reasonable; the food was great. The people weren't that friendly but I didn't care. Overall, it was an experience I'll cherish forever! The Fontana di Trevi (Trevi fountain) is a must-see plus so many other places. Wish you both the best!

jman3000
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
CONGRATS!!! Regardless of what city you get married in, you and your spouse to be should go to the Eternal City; my husband and I spent 8 glorious days in Rome but it still wasn't enough and it was super-romantic. JMAN3000--when did you go? I never felt it was a dangerous city even walking the streets at night. The prices were fairly reasonable; the food was great. The people weren't that friendly but I didn't care. Overall, it was an experience I'll cherish forever! The Fontana di Trevi (Trevi fountain) is a must-see plus so many other places. Wish you both the best!

The danger resides in the subways... my mother got goosed and a father of one of the students had his wallet stolen... from his chest pocket on his shirt... and he didn't even notice till we got off the subway car. There are tourist spots and there is the real Rome...we just had to go through some of the real parts and that is where the problems occured.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-30-2006, 11:01 PM
The bigger cities blow - Rome especially. Stick to the smaller towns...

I'd imagine Venice would be a nice locale for a wedding, but it stank like hot, rotting garbage when I was there...

Depends on what you want. There was a city completely surrounded by a stone gate and it was bad ass, but the vino/espresso/vodka-tonics/Becks flowed like Pelligrino that day so fuck if I know what the name of it is.

I think it was Sorrento. Or Positano? Something like that...

Duff McCartney
05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Rome is bad ass..I lived it when I went there. It's so cosmo and cool. Very much like what you'd see in fashion and all that.

I loved Pisa as well..that was a great city.

Clandestino
05-31-2006, 04:53 AM
i don't see how you could go wrong in any italian city... rome is bad ass too.. one of the best places in europe...

velik_m
05-31-2006, 06:23 AM
Verona is nice.
Venice is waaaay overrated... and also very crowded

SpursWoman
05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
That sounds wonderfully romantic! :)

If Chris and I ever get married, it will probably be at Lowes. :spin

Gatita
05-31-2006, 12:23 PM
:tu :tu
awesome idea! no family, no friends, no annoyances. just you and ed. :)

And you know this! :lol

2 whole weeks all for ourselves.

Slomo
05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
OK I'm assuming the romantic factor is the deciding one. Here's what I like from your link - in order of my personal preferences:

- Venice
Venice is not overated and is a unique city. If done right the settings for a wedding in that city are romantic and hard to beat anywhere in the world. Venice also has a multitude of really nice cozy romantic hotels. If you stay there without a schedule (beside the wedding of course) and just explore the city at your own pace and allow it to suprise you - you'll love it.

-Capri
It's beautiful!!! nuff said.

Florence
- Very similar experience to Venice - totally different city. Both are tourist trap (actually all the destination on that list are) but if you don't let that bother you and just do your own thing - you'll discover a fantastic city (if you know a little of the local history, it helps - it's along flight so you can read a book on the subject :) ).

-Tuscany
I love Tuscany it's very pretty but It's main appeal is good food and good wines. For a lazy honeymoon with lots of room service - yeah I can see it working.

- Amalfi coast
Almost as pretty as Capri.

-Rome
Can be crowded and hot, a little intimidating at times - but it's Rome, so you can't really go wrong.

Oh ,and did I mention I can be in Venice in just under 3 hours? :angel

P.S.: Venice and Florence can be pricey (the nicer hotels). Capri is also not exactly cheap.

05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Why spend all 2 weeks in the same place?

Get married in Venice and then take the train to Florence, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast, etc.

Three days is plenty of time to take in the food, wine, ambience, culture, etc. of each city/region.

Though I've never been to Capri, evreyone who has ever been raves about that little place...

It all depends how you want to spend your two weeks...

Here's a little tip: If you are connecting in Europe, avoid Charles De Gaulle aiport at all costs. Trust me on this one...

Gatita
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM

I am spending two weeks in Italy... not just in one locale. :)

05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Well then pick one. It really doesn't matter outside of Rome...

Slomo
05-31-2006, 02:37 PM

Get married in Venice and then take the train to Florence, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast, etc.

Three days is plenty of time to take in the food, wine, ambience, culture, etc. of each city/region.

Though I've never been to Capri, evreyone who has ever been raves about that little place...

It all depends how you want to spend your two weeks...

Here's a little tip: If you are connecting in Europe, avoid Charles De Gaulle aiport at all costs. Trust me on this one...I'd like to second that VERY useful tip.

Unless you're flying business or 1st - avoid Alitalia for the trans Atlantic flight.

Since it's your honeymoon I expect you won't be too much in a travelling mood, but the distances are relatively short so if you don't keep it too ambitious something like Venice, Tuscany, Florence and Rome should be doable. Then again you might just opt for a lazy honeymoon on a Capri beach after your big city wedding.

katyon6th
05-31-2006, 02:40 PM
All this abroad talk makes me completely envious.

Congratulations, Gatita, I'm sure it will be a very beautiful wedding -- no matter where you have it. But Italy? Hot damn! Soak it in, girl.

05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I believe O'Hare flies direct to Venice.

Unfortunately, I have to fly thru CDG on Friday. I almost wanted to cry when I found out. By far, the worst airport I've ever been to. Last Monday, 48 people from Detroit were scheduled to connect thru CDG to Bologna. Not one person made the flight because the had one, yes only one, passport-check booths open. It was a 2 1/2 hour wait...

Why couldn't it be Schipol? To make matters worse, I am flying Air France. Stupid group vote.

Slomo, ever been to San Marino?

Slomo
05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I believe O'Hare flies direct to Venice.

Unfortunately, I have to fly thru CDG on Friday. I almost wanted to cry when I found out. By far, the worst airport I've ever been to. Last Monday, 48 people from Detroit were scheduled to connect thru CDG to Bologna. Not one person made the flight because the had one, yes only one, passport-check booths open. It was a 2 1/2 hour wait...

Why couldn't it be Schipol? To make matters worse, I am flying Air France. Stupid group vote.

Slomo, ever been to San Marino?first :lmao @ your CDG story. That's such a typical thing that they like to do. Schipol, Frankfurt or Munich are the best. Zurich used to be very good too.
I completely agree CDG is the worst airport I've ever been to (and I've been to a few).

Yes I've been to San Marino once. It's tiny :lol. But it is also similar to quite a few town on the Croatian coast. I liked it, but I didn't find it to be quite as unique as some other places in Italy.