PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Work Or Ever Work For HEB?

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
So my girlfriend is looking to get a job at HEB, they mentioned to her that they can only guarantee her ten hours per week (as a checker) and that she has to "bid" on additional hours..

Can anyone explain to me how this works, and what the purpose of it is?

Any other info would be appreciated as well.

TIA!

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
It's called "part time" job....

If the store needs help they she will get a chance to work more. This also depends on performance.

And yes I used to work for them. I was bag boy, toilet / kotex box cleaner / mopper then later cashier. 4 years.

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
It's called "part time" job....

If the store needs help they she will get a chance to work more. This also depends on performance.

Makes sense, but are they as bad as I've heard Walmart is, trying to keep people below a certain ammount of hours so they don't have to insure them?

She doesn't even care about insurance, she just wants to get some hours...

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Well it's not just keeping low hours for cost but also for promoting from existing part timers.

This way they can weed out loozers from just looking at how you perform part time.
Attendence, attitude, appearance (don't look like a slob) etc.

Then they can pick the best of the huge part time pool to fill the "long grind" jobs.

katyon6th
05-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Ask TheTruth, he's like 2nd in command.

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Ask TheTruth, he's like 2nd in command.

Yeah but I heard he lies a lot....

:lol

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
It's as good as it get's for a part time job at it's pay level...

Unless someone wanted an easier job.. but I like to hustle makes time go by faster.

And HEB WILL make you hustle..

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, she's going in today to do her paper work, I don't know though personally.

She said they get raises but I'm shocked to find that they still pay checkers what they did years and years ago....

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:38 PM
How much? I used to make $3.50 an hour. That was right before scanners came out. We had to put paper stickers on everything "CHICK CHICK".. I miss those machines :) I started at like $2.28 an hour it may of been 2.80 I don't remember. :)

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
How much? I used to make $3.50 an hour. That was right before scanners came out. We had to put paper stickers on everything "CHICK CHICK".. I miss those machines :) I started at like $2.28 an hour it may of been 2.80 I don't remember. :)

Somewhere around seven dollars, I had a friend that must have worked there five years ago and I recall him saying they paid the same....

I guess it's not bad with the periodic raises, but considering the pay and the hours, it doesn't sound that great.

It's funny because I was the one telling her she should get a job there, I think she'll wind up working there if the bank she's applying at doesn't hire her, but I don't think she'll quit her other job, seven dollars an hour just isn't very much...

Vashner
05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Do what Angel Luv is going.. Bill Millers 8+ bucks I think.

Well she get's the job there... works a few months to establish and train.. then starts shopping for a better paying job.

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Do what Angel Luv is going.. Bill Millers 8+ bucks I think.

Well she get's the job there... works a few months to establish and train.. then starts shopping for a better paying job.

Doesn't she get a new job like every other week?

SpursWoman
05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, most jobs like that pay for the position, degree of difficulty, and experience and/or education required to do it, not the individual...because individuals are priceless. :)

[/dusting off standard HR response]

PM5K
05-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, most jobs like that pay for the position, degree of difficulty, and experience and/or education required to do it, not the individual...because individuals are priceless. :)

[/dusting off standard HR response]

I'm just suprised their starting pay is still what they paid years and years ago...

kris
05-30-2006, 01:15 PM
$7 is the house. TCBY started me off at $5.15 yesterday.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Damn, can I get some free Yogurt?

SpursWoman
05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Damn, can I get some free Yogurt?

:tu :tu :lol

kris
05-30-2006, 01:20 PM
The TCBY protocol sign says no, but my 5.15 says yes.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
The TCBY protocol sign says no, but my 5.15 says yes.:lmao

JoeChalupa
05-30-2006, 01:36 PM
I worked for my HEB for 6 yrs and the wife still does. We were both FT within 6 months. I enjoyed it and she still does but is trying to get into the arsenal.

Good luck.

PM5K
05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
So if the idea is to weed out the losers, how many hours should she expect to work?

What do you mean by get into the arsenal?

SpursWoman
05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
The TCBY protocol sign says no, but my 5.15 says yes.

:lol

Vashner
05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Arsenal is the HQ.. office jobz.

edit add: They used to make ammo there for the big war.

Ginofan
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a cousin who has worked for HEB for 8 years. He started out with the garanteed hours thing and worked his way to more hours by being on time, being dependable, accurate, etc, etc. He also got to move to the pharmacy and several of the markets. I think it just depends on what store you work at and how the management is, as to how you move up, get raises, etc. Matthew worked for HEB for 4 months before he applied for a job at the arsenal and got it. It seems like there are a lot of opportunities to move up in the company.

SA Gunslinger
05-30-2006, 05:02 PM
I worked in a photolab for six years. They pay you well and the benefits are cool.

The only time it really sucked was between Thanksgiving and New Years.

DannyT
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
you just have to think about it being summer time and that there are also a lot of the students applying for the j o b at these times as well. so they have to be safe especially at these times so they dont get stuck with a dud but i wouldnt think it would take very long say a month or soo to clock more hours....you know there is always the enlist in the united states army option....and we dont limit hours!!!!LMFAO!!!