PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Odom to start at power forward

ducks
10-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Lakers: Odom to start at power forward
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Tuesday, October 12, 2004

News
Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich had designated Lamar Odom his starting power forward. "I think we're a better running team with Lamar at [power forward]," Tomjanovich told the Los Angeles Times. "I think you'll see a lot of it. He's a versatile guy. I want to cause problems for people. You use your ballhandling, you use all that stuff, they're going to have a hard time with it."

Views
Odom thrived at the power forward spot last season, averaging 17 points and nine boards, but that was in the smaller Eastern Conference. Out west, Odom will have to bang with Amare Stoudemire, Elton Brand, Pau Gasol, Chris Webber, Carlos Boozer, Tim Duncan, Kenyon Martin, Zach Randolph, and Dirk Nowtizki, among others, on a nightly basis. We're worried about what effect that will have on Odom's health. He did after all miss 86 games in two seasons in 2001 and 2002.

Medvedenko
10-13-2004, 09:49 AM
We'll see what happens...could cause match-up problems and will get Caron in the game more, however if it's a defensive liability than put him in SF with Grant and Divac manning the post. This season's going to be wacky for sure. Kobe's already trying to lead the L in scoring...35 in a preseason...damn, hopefully he'll get this out of his system before the real season starts.

exstatic
10-13-2004, 10:01 AM
damn, hopefully he'll get this out of his system before the real season starts.

The real season started the moment Shaq left town.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Odom as the starting 4? :lol

Kid Kolby is going to find out just how horrible it was playing with a 400 pound center drawing triple teams down low.

ChumpDumper
10-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Let's see, six small forwards and Brian Cook/Slava to compete with at the 4?

File this under "duh."

picnroll
10-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Anybody else think Odom wishes it had been Wade traded to LA for Shaq?

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 11:07 AM
When Odom at the 4 is your best option, well that about says it all.

Nikos
10-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Odom can put up good numbers at the 4. He tends to rebound much better as a 4 (than a common 3 turned 4 would). He can also ue his speed to blow by 4's and draw more fouls. Thats part of the reason he had such a good season last year, that and his health obviously.

He will trouble defensively, but hes still can hold his own against most at the 4 (except against TD and KG).

Medvedenko
10-13-2004, 12:30 PM
It's funny....he was our 4 in the olympics....
Remember, once Divac is healthier, we will use BGrant at the 4 and Odom will switch to the 3, no worries....

Useruser666
10-13-2004, 12:53 PM
So mediocre Grant can slide to the 4 and old Vlade can limp back to the 5? I see the Lakers plan now.

It's funny....he was our 4 in the olympics....

So you're happy with 3rd place?

timvp
10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Odom as the starting 4? :lol

Kid Kolby is going to find out just how horrible it was playing with a 400 pound center drawing triple teams down low.

Exactly. Kobe is going to see what it's like when the other team game plans for him day in and day out. With Shaq and Kobe on the same team, you had to concentrate first on not letting Shaq have 50 and fouling out your frontcourt.

They went from an inside out team to an outside and more outside team.

T Park
10-14-2004, 02:27 AM
The Lakers went from title contenders to 8th place contenders overnight.

Good job Jerry Buss and John Malcovich errrrrr Mitch Kupcheck.

polandprzem
10-14-2004, 07:25 AM
If not Rudy, they wouldn't make the playoffs.

Sportcamper
10-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Odom to start at power forward...

Odom may not be in Duncan’s or Garnett’s class but he can be effective...He is multitalented...an excellent outside shooter & ball handler...He will not play the role of a traditional PF...I expect to see him share ball handling duties with the PG’s & Kobe...Setting up play’s from the top of the key etc...

sickdsm
10-14-2004, 10:21 AM
soooooo, in other words another Antoine Walker? Might as well go hire Nelly after he's fired so you can have your "point forward"

tlongII
10-14-2004, 10:34 AM
The Lakers are going to suck this year. Laker fans are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. The Blazers will be a powerhouse. Just wait and see.

CosmicCowboy
10-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Odom may not be in Duncan’s or Garnett’s class but he can be effective...He is multitalented...an excellent outside shooter & ball handler...He will not play the role of a traditional PF...I expect to see him share ball handling duties with the PG’s & Kobe...Setting up play’s from the top of the key etc...

I tend to agree with that assessment also...Odom will be a defensive liability against the west 4's but at the same time will be a hard cover on offense because of his range...the 4's will have to decide whether to leave the paint to cover him or switch off which can lead to other mismatches and/or people left open...If they stick with Odom it leaves the paint under-protected to slashers cutting to the basket...so Lakers gamble appears to be to give up some points on defense in the low post but outscore the deficit by creating more high percentage scoring opportunities for Kobe etc...

OM_fever
10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Indeed he could open some shots for Kobe but they would struggle to get any rebounds if their fourth is outside and Griant as center.

It would be a outside shooting team with nothing which would force opponents to stay inside (bye bye Shaq). And with only one attempt to score it's really tough (no rebound, no ball!). Balance is the word, how many teams arrive to get champion without strenght inside? (to my mind no one, let me know if I'm wrong)