PDA

View Full Version : It Is Time For The Pistons To Part Ways With Rasheed Wallace

ducks
05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
It Is Time For The Pistons To Part Ways With Rasheed Wallace

James Morisette

28th May, 2006

Rasheed Wallace's display of abysmal behavior and shoddy worksmanship during last night’s 98-83 loss to the Miami Heat should serve as grounds for dismissal by owner Bill Davidson once this season is over.

This may seem to serve as a harsh statement, but many NBA and Detroit fans alike can attest to the fact that Wallace's behavior last night was not a once in a while phenomenon - it is an everyday phenomenon. After a brief moment of silence, Wallace has reemerged as the same menace he was in Portland.

For those whom did not see the game, Fox Sports columnist Charley Rosen best explained Wallace's childlike behavior:

"The only Piston who was true to form was R. Wallace — and only because he reverted to his psycho-mode. He was so upset about not getting sufficient post-up opportunities that during a second-quarter timeout, he sat on the scorer's table while, 30-feet away, the rest of his teammates gathered around Flip Saunders. Shortly thereafter, when Rasheed was summoned to the bench after picking up his second foul, he angrily waved off his coach's proffered hand. When he finally took his seat, Wallace complained to a teammate about the injustice of being yanked so early with so few fouls. Then, just before the second half commenced, Rasheed loudly cursed the referees."

While other Piston players will not publicly admit it, Wallace currently serves as a weak link on a Championship caliber team.

And it is time Bill Davidson, whom is the same person that canned Larry Brown when Brown's selfish behavior and personal agenda, nearly led to the early demise of the defending champions last season, to begin seeking trades for Wallace before he divides and conquers and damages the Pistons beyond repair.

Davidson certainly has many options.

Minnesota Timberwolves superstar Kevin Garnett has already expressed his frustration with his subpar team, and has great respect for his former coach Flip Saunders. Trading Garnett to Detroit for Wallace along with Carlos Delfino and picks to reconnect him with Saunders would make sense. Garnett would not only slip right into Wallace's forward position alongside Tayshaun Prince, but he would also bring consistency to both ends of the hardwood but without consistently childlike behavior to include barking at the officials.

If Garnett truly is off the market, Antonio McDyess, who has seemed to return to greatness after suffering a potential career ending knee injury, could slip into Wallace's position as the starter and subsequently open the door for a multitude of other trades for a player or players possessing solid three-point shooting ability. This would also open the door for promising Cincinatti alumini Jason Maxiell, i.e. Baby Ben Wallace, and California high school standout Amir Johnson to earn some playing time for the Pistons.

The options for Wallace are endless, and if Davidson and Piston President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars were smart - which they are - they would begin to look into trading Wallace before he rips apart the very core that he helped accentuate upon his arrival in the Motor City.

In other words, if Davidson and Dumars do not strike to control Wallace after last nights adolescent behavior, or trade him at seasons end, the legacy that is this Piston team, will forever be tarnished.

James M. Morisette covers the Detroit Pistons for RealGM. He can be contacted at [email protected]

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Does the writer seriously think that the KG= Sheed + Delfino and a few picks? This is the guy their current franchise is built around. Would that trade even work monetarily (it would make the Pistons sick if it did happen :wow).

ANyways, if the Pistons don't want Sheed, we'll take him! Duncan moves to Center, Sheed PF. We'll give the Pistons, Rasho + Barry + Beno + a year supplies of unlimited Margheritas...anything they want :drunk

Bob Lanier
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
No, it's not.

And definitely not for only Kevin Garnett.

DarkReign
05-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Does the writer seriously think that the KG= Sheed + Delfino and a few picks? This is the guy their current franchise is built around. Would that trade even work monetarily (it would make the Pistons sick if it did happen :wow).

ANyways, if the Pistons don't want Sheed, we'll take him! Duncan moves to Center, Sheed PF. We'll give the Pistons, Rasho + Barry + Beno + a year supplies of unlimited Margheritas...anything they want :drunk

LOL

No, the $$$ doesnt add up. Isnt even close actually.

Could have happened this year though, but that window has closed. Darko+Sheed+Picks+another salary. That actually worked out on the $$ side as well, but Joe D decided to deal for a protected pick because our core is 'so great'.

Looking like shit right now isnt it, Joe? Wish we had KG and not this guy Sheed who only plays when he wants to, and makes me say "Shut the fuck up!" after every damn foul. Look, I understand refs miss calls etc, but every call is not a bad one. Get the fuck over it.

2centsworth
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM
very good article. Shaq is healthy and looks awesome, so I'm sure Rasheed is gonna fall apart.

leemajors
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
sheed for garnett would be a dropoff on the defensive end, but the attitude would probably even out that disparity. garnett isn't as effective or versatile on d, but he will give his all every game. i'm not sure why detroit would want to hamstring themselves financially with garnett's contract, especially with the upcoming negotiations for ben wallace's new deal.

Spurminator
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Minnesota would be a horrible situation for Rasheed. They would still be losers, and this would probably cause him to revert back to his old habits.

That said, my head would explode with delight if he came to the Spurs.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Minnesota would be a horrible situation for Rasheed. They would still be losers, and this would probably cause him to revert back to his old habits.

That said, my head would explode with delight if he came to the Spurs.

:lol I'm telling you, it'd be perfect! Move Duncan to Center, Sheed to PF. We would then have the BEST starting 5 in the NBA. Damn, a girl can dream...

Burn531
05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
That writer Rosen is a joke. Read some of his other stuff on Fox Sports and you will want to throw a pipe at his head. The dude is an idoit imo.

mabber
05-30-2006, 05:20 PM
:lol I'm telling you, it'd be perfect! Move Duncan to Center, Sheed to PF. We would then have the BEST starting 5 in the NBA. Damn, a girl can dream...

Although I agree with you in that the Spurs would have the best starting 5 in the NBA, the Spurs would never bring someone like Sheed in. He doesn't fit the mold of type of player that the Spurs want on the team. I'm actually shocked that a Spur's fan would even want him as they so often brag (rightfully so) about how much class their players and organization has. Why would you want a thug like Sheed on your team? Why...cuz bottom line it's all about winning :lol Amazing how not winning a championship can change your mindset that fast :lol

Spurminator
05-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Although I agree with you in that the Spurs would have the best starting 5 in the NBA, the Spurs would never bring someone like Sheed in. He doesn't fit the mold of type of player that the Spurs want on the team. I'm actually shocked that a Spur's fan would even want him as they so often brag (rightfully so) about how much class their players and organization has. Why would you want a thug like Sheed on your team? Why...cuz bottom line it's all about winning :lol Amazing how not winning a championship can change your mindset that fast :lol

Why is Rasheed a thug?

Darrin
05-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Rasheed Wallace's 2006-07 salary: $11,400,000
Kevin Garnett's 2006-07 salary: $20,000,000

We're talking a little under 7 million dollars in actual salary between the players, or 5.7 million dollars in actual money (a team over the cap, the Pistons, can receive up to 125% of the salary they trade away, or 14.3 million dollars).

The only one player who could make this work is Antonio McDyess (5.8 million dollars). The Pistons could try a combination of Dale Davis (3.5 mil), Mo Evans (1.5 mil), and Delfino (1.0 mil). But that leaves the Pistons with little-to-no bench.

So here are the potential deals:

Rasheed Wallace, Dale Davis, Mo Evans, and Carlos Delfino
or
Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess.

This is all under the assumption that all the other starters are safe. The Pistons also have to re-sign Ben Wallace, and if that first deal is done, find some replacements for that bench, especially if Lindsey Hunter retires.

bdubya
05-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Of course, if Sheed gets his mind right and the Pistons pull this one out, this'll all be out the window and we'll be back to talking about how all Sheed needed was the right environment and what a great fit he is for Detroit....

Darrin
05-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Of course, if Sheed gets his mind right and the Pistons pull this one out, this'll all be out the window and we'll be back to talking about how all Sheed needed was the right environment and what a great fit he is for Detroit....

I'm tired of the "well, if the Pistons win, it'll all change." You're damn right it'll change. Because the line between success and failure this season is the 3rd win and the 4th in the NBA Finals. If the Pistons can pull a rabbit out of their hat, the heat will be off Rasheed and Flip Saunders.

If not, guess what? These kinds of stories will continue.

I think everyone underestimated the line that's been used all season as if it were a slogan - "All or nothing - Championship or bust." Last year was the screw-off year, Rasheed coming into camp 20 lbs overweight, the Pistons playing this type of "well, we're the champions. We can always turn it on" ball in every game. Patience was wire thin at the end of last season. Two straight years of this crap, and guess what? The fanbase is upset. The fanbase wants change.

Championship or bust. Great for bumpstickers, but it wasn't a slogan.

Vinnie_Johnson
05-30-2006, 10:37 PM
James M. Morisette covers the Detroit Pistons for RealGM

James M. Morisette = Assflake

timvp
05-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Larry Brown was able to keep Rasheed in line using his UNC ties. Don't want to embarrass Dean Smith, ya know?

Good luck, Flip :lol

DarkReign
05-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Larry Brown was able to keep Rasheed in line using his UNC ties. Don't want to embarrass Dean Smith, ya know?

Good luck, Flip :lol

:lmao

Chris
05-31-2006, 07:35 AM
What a horrible article. I can't believe he gets paid to write this trash. McDyess starting and Garnett for Sheed, Delfino, and some picks. Pure homerism right there.

WayDowntownBang
05-31-2006, 07:38 AM
What a horrible article. I can't believe he gets paid to write this trash. McDyess starting and Garnett for Sheed, Delfino, and some picks. Pure homerism right there.

Exactly. Along with everything that everyone has already said to debunk this, add to it that the Minnesota GM has already said that any trade with Detroit would have to include Tayshaun Prince.

Not happening.

DarkReign
05-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Exactly. Along with everything that everyone has already said to debunk this, add to it that the Minnesota GM has already said that any trade with Detroit would have to include Tayshaun Prince.

Not happening.

Hmmm....

Sheed and Tay for KG and ???

God, the TWolves suck. I cant find one other spare part worth the paper their contract was printed on.

I guess KG and a 1st rounder.

sickdsm
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Hmmm....

Sheed and Tay for KG and ???

God, the TWolves suck. I cant find one other spare part worth the paper their contract was printed on.

I guess KG and a 1st rounder.

Considering that the Clippers are due a first rounder AND the celtics, theoretically, assuming the wolves keep this pick this year, you'd have to wait five years for the next available first round pick for trade......

sickdsm
05-31-2006, 03:14 PM
sheed for garnett would be a dropoff on the defensive end, but the attitude would probably even out that disparity. garnett isn't as effective or versatile on d, but he will give his all every game. i'm not sure why detroit would want to hamstring themselves financially with garnett's contract, especially with the upcoming negotiations for ben wallace's new deal.

Huh? Please explain........

mabber
05-31-2006, 03:22 PM

What??? I'd take Garnett on defense over Sheed every day. Sheed is a good player (on both ends of floor) but he's not in Garnett's class at either end.

Rip-Hamilton32
05-31-2006, 05:04 PM
sheed is a better shooter then garnet..and as for the salary don't forget there gonna be more then 7 mil because ben is going to get a new contract at the end of the season..tay and sheed for garnet? are you stupid

sickdsm
06-03-2006, 10:40 AM
sheed is a better shooter then garnet..and as for the salary don't forget there gonna be more then 7 mil because ben is going to get a new contract at the end of the season..tay and sheed for garnet? are you stupid

Not inside the 3 point arc, no way sir.

sickdsm
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Where do you think he scores his points at? FT line? no, so that means its not slashing. The guys a deadeye shooter.