PDA

View Full Version : Is there a chance?

himat
05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Can the Pistons comeback? Spurs were in the exact same situation this year as well.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 02:53 PM
There's a chance, simply because the Heat have been inconsistent all season long. However, they seemed to have gotten their act together in the postseason.

If Pistons play like the Pistons they were in the regular season, they have a chance to extend the series. It'll be tough no doubt, but I don't think the Heat are that much better than the Pistons.

tlongII
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
No.

sa_butta
05-30-2006, 02:59 PM
If they keep playing the way they are now no. They may take it to 7 like the Spurs did but I dont believe they will pull it off now.

FromWayDowntown
05-30-2006, 03:04 PM
I'd like to believe that they will, but I think the Pistons situation is also different from the situation the Spurs faced when down 1-3. The Spurs had ample reason to think that a bounce here or there and the series is tied or they're up 3-1. The Spurs didn't get those bounces (or didn't make those bounces) in Games 3 and 4, but they were close. The Pistons are more than a play or two away right now.

That can change -- if the Pistons get Game 5, they can go back to Miami with some hope of taking Game 6, but they have to know its going to take a much, much better effort than they've gotten in the last couple of games. If they get it, they will be back in the series.

lebomb
05-30-2006, 03:06 PM
No

J.T.
05-30-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm going to say no. The Spurs-Mavs is different because both of those teams were dead even. Most games were only won by a point and two games went to OT. One break the other way and the Spurs are in the WCF right now. Detroit is straight up sucking ass right now. Miami is outplaying them. I don't think they can win three in a row.

MoSpur
05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
A chance? Always. Will they? I doubt it.

MadDog73
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
If anyone can do it, it's the Pistons...

DarrinS
05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Not if the Pistons keep playing the way they are right now. It doesn't help when the refs let Shaq get away with his WWF moves to the rim, while calling B.Wallace for putting an elbow on Shaq.

Also, can someone please hit a damn jump shot?

boutons_
05-30-2006, 04:57 PM
no chance.

It was widely agreed that Sheed put them over the hump in 04, and I say Sheed will keep them from getting over their big hump now. He's about 12 and 6 vs Heat. Better than Razr (anything's better than shit), but not enough from Rasheed. Even if the others step it up for 3 straight games, carcenogenic Rasheed won't.

PistonsFan
05-30-2006, 06:22 PM
of course theres a chance.
but we cant keep missing easy layups and need to shoot better!
haven't played good at all. i havent seen one game i liked since pistons played the cavaliers the first time a month ago.

timvp
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
No, it's over. The Spurs should have won Game 3 and 4 if not for some Dirk free throw heroics. The Heat are on fire and the Pistons have been sucking.

It's probably over in 5.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
No, it's over. The Spurs should have won Game 3 and 4 if not for some Dirk free throw heroics. The Heat are on fire and the Pistons have been sucking.

It's probably over in 5.

:lol So, I'm guessing BELIEVE only applies to the Spurs?

Spurologist
05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
:lol So, I'm guessing BELIEVE only applies to the Spurs?

So you're saying there's a chance.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
That series is over, too many issues going on with the Pistons right now.

blaze89
05-30-2006, 09:04 PM

It's probably over in 5.

I don't think Detroit will lose it at home, it may be done in 6 - that's just a guess cause I haven't been watching the playoff since the Spurs were out.

Detroit not making it to the Finals will probably be bigger news than the Spurs not making it cause Spurs took it 7 in a tight series (that everyone was under the opinion the series was the WCF) that could have gone either way. From what I'm reading about of the Detroit - Miami series, it's not close.

kimberly_spursfan
05-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Its just stupid if the pistons dont come back, its gay if neither of the two teams with the best records this year dont even make it to the final round

baseline bum
05-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I've been thinking if the Pistons lose this series it will go down as the greatest choke in NBA History. This team was supposed to be the team to beat. People were still talking about them winning 70 pretty late in the season. Their 64 win record is deceiving, because they were much more dominant than that. They dropped 3 of their last 4 only because they were resting their guys after clinching the best record in the league. If they don't go into rest mode, were looking at a team that's probably 67-15 or 66-16.

The only team I can even think of that dominated like that only to lose in the conference finals was the 73 Celtics (68-14), but they lost in 7 to a legendary Knicks team featuring Willis Reed, Clyde Frazier, and Earl Monroe. The Pistons are just getting bent over in this series, which could have been a sweep if not for Lindsey Hunter's swipe of Wade in game 2. The Sonics and Jazz both lost with 64-18 records, but they lost to Chicago in the Finals, with Seattle losing to a Bulls team that went 72-10. There's so much pressure on the Pistons right now, because they will always be remembered if they lose. Thankfully, their season took the heat off us.

Nikos
05-30-2006, 10:15 PM
I've been thinking if the Pistons lose this series it will go down as the greatest choke in NBA History.

You joking? Seattle 1993-94 is by far the biggest choke job ever. That team was just as good if not better than the Pistons on BOTH ends and they lost to the Nuggets!

And just to keep things in perspective, if Shaq was healthy Miami would have 60+ wins. Miami is no slouch. I would have guessed Detroit in mid-season cause I figured Shaq wouldn't be healthy by playoff time. But to think Miami couldn't challenge Detroit is suprising to me. Wade proved he could carve up Detroit last year, and even a 70% Shaq. Why couldn't a healthy Miami challenge and beat Detroit?

picnroll
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Spurs were pissed and together. Pistons are coming unglued and pointing fingers.

MannyIsGod
05-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Nikos is right. That Denver team wasn't even very good by any standards.

Detroit has lost their mental edge. I never thought they'd lose that. They never did last year in the Finals. Really there is a ton of a parity in the leauge. It really seemed as thought the Spurs and Pistons were primed to repeat the Lakers/Celtics era of the 80s, but it is no obvious that is far from the case.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 10:35 PM
So you're saying there's a chance.

No, I'm saying it's probably over in 6, not 5. :lol

Vinnie_Johnson
05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Pistons are going to win game 5 that much I know.

baseline bum
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
You joking? Seattle 1993-94 is by far the biggest choke job ever. That team was just as good if not better than the Pistons on BOTH ends and they lost to the Nuggets!

And just to keep things in perspective, if Shaq was healthy Miami would have 60+ wins. Miami is no slouch. I would have guessed Detroit in mid-season cause I figured Shaq wouldn't be healthy by playoff time. But to think Miami couldn't challenge Detroit is suprising to me. Wade proved he could carve up Detroit last year, and even a 70% Shaq. Why couldn't a healthy Miami challenge and beat Detroit?

Yeah, how the hell did I forget that? Still, this will be forever remembered as a huge choke. Miami has no business pushing these guys. Payton is old, Jason Williams sucks, Antoine Walker can't shoot or put the ball on the floor, they traded their three-point shooting and defense, and until this series have not looked impressive at any point in the season. This isn't the 2001 or 2002 Lakers with an unstoppable Shaq, a Kobe Bryant capable of dropping 45 on any given night, and a shutdown defender like Rick Fox. Wade's good, but not Kobe good. Detroit should have a freaking cake-walk to the title without the Spurs in the way (and they probably should beat the Spurs in a series too). They were head and shoulders above every team in the league until the playoffs started and they just fell off the face of the earth. I'm in shock at how bad this team is.

baseline bum
05-30-2006, 11:14 PM
shit... double post again

Darrin
05-30-2006, 11:25 PM

But it won't happen.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Umm, no.

Tek_XX
05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Pistons should pull out their championship belts and bring them to the game.

RON ARTEST
05-31-2006, 12:05 AM
that would have been the correct comment last year but not this year. right now thier chemistry is horrible as far as thier relationship with the coach.

jochhejaam
05-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Umm, no.

Pistons haven't given up; neither should their fans

AUBURN HILLS -- Don't quit on the Pistons. If they are going to go down to the Heat in the Eastern Conference finals tonight, you should go down with them.

This team has fought too hard the past three years for its fans and city to run and hide as soon as the going gets tough.

Two years ago, many believed they wouldn't be able to beat the mighty Los Angeles Lakers -- with Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson -- in the NBA Finals.

Granted, it seems like a zillion years since that team defied the odds and did what nobody thought was possible.

The current version just seems off, maybe even tired, if not out of gas.

But when you talk to the Pistons and interact with them in the locker room, you don't get the sense they aren't willing to fight, even though they trail 3-1 in the series. Often, you can tell if a team is done just by body language alone.

It's not the case.

"We've put ourselves in this situation so many times, being down, going up in the series and then the other team coming back and taking advantage in the series, obviously it's catching up with us," Tayshaun Prince said. "But like I said, it's not over."

Mission impossible? Nah

At this point, it seems improbable the Pistons will come back, but it's not impossible.

That's what you have to hold on to. We've seen comebacks in sports over the last couple years no one thought possible.

The Red Sox rallied from a 3-0 deficit to win four straight from the Yankees two years ago. That was a first for baseball.

During these playoffs, the Suns trailed the Lakers, 3-1, and won three straight to advance.

So it can happen.

But the Pistons are going to have to play better in a hurry.

"We've got to look at this as a one-game series the rest of the way," Chauncey Billups said. "We've got to play one game and then think about the next one.

"If we don't focus in on that one game, then the season will be over."

You still get the sense the Pistons can come back and win, just because they have so many times. Plus, basketball is a funny game. If they just started knocking down some shots, things can change in a hurry.

Don't blame the defense

The problem is not the defense. The Pistons have allowed fewer points in the first four games against the Heat than they did in last year's series that was tied after four games.

If the Pistons win tonight, the pressure would shift back to the Heat to close the series at home in Game 6 on Friday.

The Pistons could take chances and play desperate. Often, the toughest teams to defeat are the ones with nothing to lose. Plus, the Pistons won Game 7 in Miami last season in the conference finals.

"One play can change a game, one game can change a series," coach Flip Saunders said. "Basically what we've got to do is come up with that play at home and try to change the series."

The Pistons have never quit on you.

That's why you shouldn't give up on them in their darkest moment, facing their biggest challenge.

By Rob Parker of the Detroit News

WayDowntownBang
05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
I've been thinking if the Pistons lose this series it will go down as the greatest choke in NBA History.

Disapointing? Yes.

Biggest choke in NBA History?

The Heat are the #2. I wouldn't say that the #2 beating the #1 (the same #2 that took us 7 games and 2 injuries last year) would be a choke at all.

But we're winning Game 5 tonight, so let's have this discussion again in 2 days when the game is in Miami. Ask Lebron about Game 6's.