PDA

View Full Version : Could Gregg Popovich Coach the Detroit Pistons?

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 03:07 PM
With all the bullshit going on in MoTown, do you think the Pistons would be winning the series against the Heat if Pop was the coach instead of Flipper Saunders?

Winnipeg_Spur
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Who the hell knows. I'd like to think he'd get their defense back to the level it was at in years past, but I have no idea what a Popovich offense would look like without Tim Duncan.

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
I'd like to see him cuss out Rasheed Wallace just for the hell of it.

ducks
pop is doing a better job then larry brown did with the spurs
so why not

ShoogarBear
First, has anyone put specific credence to "all the bullshit" going on in Detroit? There's rumors flying here and there but it's not clear whether they are losing because there are problems, or whether there are problems because they are losing.

If you accept that there's stuff going on, then no I don't think Pop would be any better at getting it (i.e., Rasheed) under control than Flip. Pop's strength is that he picks and coaches players to prevent it from happening in the first place.

You know who would rule under that kind of chaos? Phil Jackson.

SAGambler
05-30-2006, 03:20 PM
First, has anyone put specific credence to "all the bullshit" going on in Detroit? There's rumors flying here and there but it's not clear whether they are losing because there are problems, or whether there are problems because they are losing.

If you accept that there's stuff going on, then no I don't think Pop would be any better at getting it (i.e., Rasheed) under control than Flip. Pop's strength is that he picks and coaches players to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Well, from listening to a lot of the Pistons fans, Flip tries too hard to be buddies with the guys, and they have gotten to where they pay little attention to him.

There are even rumors that they are deliberatly playing this way (which I really doubt) in order to get him fired.

I personally think the real problem in Detroit is they got to believing all the press clippings about their greatness, when in fact a lot of their greatness came from play weak EC teams.

They also fell in love with the 3 pt shot, which suddenly isn't there very often for them.

And, IMO again, any team that has Rasheed Wallace on it, is taking a chance on being torn apart from within.

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Dayum. Zen in Motown? Are you nuts? Ain't no way in hell Barry Gordy, err Rasheed Wallace, would allow that to happen.!! lol

ShoogarBear
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I bet Phil would find a way with Rasheed. Scratch that, I know he would. And I know exactly how:

:smokin :fro :smokin :fro

blaze89
05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Dayum. Zen in Motown? Are you nuts? Ain't no way in hell Barry Gordy, err Rasheed Wallace, would allow that to happen.!! lol

Would Phil Jackson and Joe Dumars get along?

MoSpur
05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I would say Ben Wallace in LA (Lakers) would be awesome.

Jimcs50
05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I wish we would trade Pop to Detroit, but he would probably bench Ben Wallace, so they would hate Pop in Detroit.

1Parker1
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
:lmao :lmao I expect 3 months of this from, Jimbo.

Jimcs50
05-30-2006, 03:41 PM
:lmao :lmao I expect 3 months of this from, Jimbo.

:spin

BTW, I returned your PM.

ata
05-30-2006, 04:03 PM
No, AJ would outcoached him in finals!

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh lawd...get off the AJ kick. If AJ didn't have Joe Prunty running things you'd be saying, "Oh Pop, you're the greatest".

For the umpteenth time, AJ DIDN'T OUT COACH POP.

Dayum do I need to run the dayum coaching lineage tree again for the seeing impaired? :lol

ducks
05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
how many assist coaches does aj have compared to pop's

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
AJ had the most important one against us…a former assistant coach/video coordinator who had been with Pop's coaching staff since 1996.

But to answer your question, AJ has three...just like Pop.

blaze89
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM

You're taking away their war cry!

Kori Ellis
05-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Oh lawd...get off the AJ kick. If AJ didn't have Joe Prunty running things you'd be saying, "Oh Pop, you're the greatest".

Dayum do I need to run the dayum coaching lineage tree again for the seeing impaired? :lol

Bahahaa.

Sorry but that's laughable. Joe Prunty isn't the reason that the Mavs are doing anything. Give AJ his due.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
And AJ has 5 assistant coaches and so does Pop.

Mavs - Prunty, Harris, Blackman, Riley and Parker.
Spurs - PJ, Bud, Brown, Newman and Engelland.

RON ARTEST
05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
no. pop would probably play mo evans at center and play lindsey hunter at power forward.

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Bahahaa.

Sorry but that's laughable. Joe Prunty isn't the reason that the Mavs are doing anything. Give AJ his due.

Not saying AJ didn't do a good job but in this case because Prunty knows the Spurs offensive and defensive schemes, especially since he had to construct plays to combat againt Dallas and Phoenix during video break down, that gave AJ a sizeable edge. If Prunty's knowledge of the Spurs wasn't there, I don't think the Spurs have nearly the problems they did match up wise.

I'm not counting the other two; strictly the assistants that you see huddle up in time out and who sit next to him/AJ in the game.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Prunty was an advanced scout for his last three years with the Spurs. Meaning he wasn't even with the team, he was on the road scouting. He didn't have anything to do with the plays in San Antonio. He was out scouting the teams they were going to play. He wasn't even in San Antonio for like 9 months out of the year.

ducks
05-30-2006, 04:50 PM
humm I thought aj had like 19 assistant coaches

RON ARTEST
05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
humm I thought aj had like 19 assistant coaches
it seemed like it. :lmao

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Prunty was an advanced scout for his last three years with the Spurs. Meaning he wasn't even with the team, he was on the road scouting. He didn't have anything to do with the plays in San Antonio. He was out scouting the teams they were going to play. He wasn't even in San Antonio for like 9 months out of the year.

But he still knew the system. And even as an advanced scout, you have meetings and such. I know that much from talking with Gene Little and the job he does for Seattle. He has a playbook because scouts have to file reports of plays that will work against what they saw at a game.

And the argument of scout only solidifies my point. Taht means taht he scouted Dallas. He'd know something to do to fix their problems and to cause problems for others.

Kori Ellis
05-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I just know that Prunty is a scrub. He was low man here in San Antonio. Laura told me that in 2004 the only time he was even home in San Antonio or with the team was in August. He wasn't a big part of any plays, etc.

AJ's coaching success is because of AJ. He knows the Spurs playbook because a lot of what is in it, he was a part of. But he didn't win the series because of the playbook. He won the series because he made adjustments that were successful and Pop made adjustments that failed. Their personnel that was on the floor was better than the Spurs personnel.

Spurologist
05-30-2006, 04:59 PM
The answer to this question depends on the situation. I don't think pop has had much experience dealing with tough nosed players (off the wall. Artest, Sheed, etc). He hasn't had to. He has gained respect from the entire league and him going to Detroit would have them play much better defense. What happened? They look slow, unconcerned, and often times confused out there. This has to do with players taking pride in playing D, but the coach is a major factor in that area. The very championship experience of pop would make them play better. Believe it or not, the pistons are afraid of the unknown. Flip hasn't won shit since he entered the nba coaching ranks. That robs off on players. This is why I believe getting the first nba title for a coach is the hardest one they will go through. I don't if the prowess of pop when he first entered the league would be able to lead the pistons to the title.

This pop, right now, would lead this team to the championship. Bank on that.

JamStone
05-30-2006, 05:01 PM
One thing Pop would get that Flip has not gotten is respect.

Ben Wallace would respect Pop. Rasheed Wallace would respect Pop. Yes, he would. And, even if they disagree with Pop, they would listen to him and follow what he says.

Success against the Miami Heat is an entirely different thing. But, there would be no rumors of mutiny or disharmony among players and the coach or the players themselves.

I actually think that Phil Jackson would do a great job with the Pistons as well. Dumars would have no problem with Jackson. Dumars doesn't interfere with coaching at all. The one and only time I can remember Dumars insisting something of a coach was in the 2003 playoffs when he insisted that Rick Carlisle play Tayshaun Prince. It took an entire season and being down in the first round of the playoffs for Dumars to say anything. Other than that, Dumars stays away from what the coaches have done. Perhaps, Dumars should have tried to insist playing the bench more during this season as well. But, as successful as the Pistons were, it was hard to complain.

nbascribe
05-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I can't put too much credence into Laura!! lol

Seriously though, Pruny was in the same position before Mike Budenholsier moved to the assistant spot under pop. They came in the league together. And to call him a scrub is kind of classless. Just about every assistant coach today comes up that way and AJ isn't the only one that knew something about the playbook from 1999. but that's evolved a bit too. Basic schemes are still there though. I mean even Cleveland is running a hybrid of it right now. They just don't have the personnel.

But I'll agree with you about what was on the floor. when it counted, the Mavericks were the better team. I call it being hungry. They were starving for a series win and the Spurs just couldn't belly up to the table and eat.

Oh well, back to the current channel of the thread…

sprrs
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM

Latrell Sprewell?

Spurologist
05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Latrell Sprewell?

That never happened.

Pop was in Golden State as an assistant coach and never had much say about picking sprewell in the draft.

ShoogarBear
05-30-2006, 07:00 PM
1. Some people *cough*timvp*cough* will say that AJ coached Pop in 99.

2. True, Pop did want Sprewell in SA. But apparently the feeling was mutual, Sprewell really wanted to play for Pop. So again, you think there was any question in Pop's mind that Latrell was going to cause problems he would still want him here?

3. The only think about Jackson is that he seems to like to have the One Dominant Player to build his team around. It would be very interesting to see, for example, if he would try to play Big Chief Triangle with the Pistons.

bdubya
05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
The one and only time I can remember Dumars insisting something of a coach was in the 2003 playoffs when he insisted that Rick Carlisle play Tayshaun Prince. It took an entire season and being down in the first round of the playoffs for Dumars to say anything. Other than that, Dumars stays away from what the coaches have done. Perhaps, Dumars should have tried to insist playing the bench more during this season as well. But, as successful as the Pistons were, it was hard to complain.

As I understand it, Joe has said he has no interest in coaching, but I still gotta wonder how that would turn out.

ShoogarBear
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Success against the Miami Heat is an entirely different thing. But, there would be no rumors of mutiny or disharmony among players and the coach or the players themselves.
Back to my question, how much of this is not playing well due to disharmony, and how much is disharmony due to not playing well?

Spurologist
05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Back to my question, how much of this is not playing well due to disharmony, and how much is disharmony due to not playing well?

100%

Bob Lanier
05-30-2006, 07:59 PM
It's mostly the former - although most of the popular scapegoat, Rasheed's, is the latter.

Pop would not allow Chauncey Billups to be out of control, and he would get much more respect from the players. Ironically enough, his offense would probably be more effective than Flip's in the playoffs. His defense would definitely be a lot better. His game management and substitutions couldn't be worse (yes, I'm aware that certain of you will say something similar).

Yes, Pop could do very well as coach of the Pistons. Somebody mentioned Phil Jackson , and I think he'd be a perfect coach for the Pistons.

As for this:

no. pop would probably play mo evans at center
one of the quirks Flip's tugged out of his collar during this playoff "run" is a lineup featuring Maurice Evans at power forward. Smallball is not a new thing for Flip. One of his lineups this season that's always irritated me features Antonio McDyess and Rasheed Wallace, one of whom is apparently supposed to be playing center. I know it's necessary to get Dice more minutes, but that lineup provides absolutely no resistance when our "All-Defensive" perimeter players get blown by off the dribble. Sheed is a fantastic help defender, but not much of a shotblocker; and McDyess, always a mediocre defender, has become an awful one since LB left. Flip absolutely refused to play Dale Davis to rest Ben until Shaq forced him to. :madrun

SequSpur
05-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Hmm.........

Why doesn't Pop quit and go try? I am all for it. :D

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Um, yes he did. I'm tired of the denial around here about the coaching in our series with the Mavs, AJ coached circles around Pop.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
BTW, Rip, Chauncey, and Sheed running the triangle would be sick. You can throw Prince in there too. Hope it never happens.

picnroll
05-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Speaking of Latrell, as a mid-season pick-up he would have come in handy, particularly against Howard. Spurs were on decent swingman with balls away from taking this series with some room to breathe,

Darrin
05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
With all the bullshit going on in MoTown, do you think the Pistons would be winning the series against the Heat if Pop was the coach instead of Flipper Saunders?

YES!

Tek_XX
05-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Are their actually people who don't think pop was outcoached?

Spurodamus
05-31-2006, 12:10 AM
http://members.aol.com/blackrose3000/images/negrodamus.jpg

Gregg Popovich purposefully lost the series to force the Spurs' miserly owner into spending more on the team.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 04:42 AM
pop would likely play small ahhahaha and lose the series

seriously the clowns on teh pistons team are like prime madonnas, they will not be able to handle pops screamin at them

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Spreewell?
Pop wasn't there when that went down was he?

CosmicCowboy
05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Funny that everyone is talking about Sheed as the problem. Word is that Big Ben is the one that is unhappiest. Flip has totally cut him out of the offense...Ben was never the #1 go to guy in Larry Browns offense either but he would always run 3 or 4 plays a game for him to keep him involved on both ends.

Vashner
05-31-2006, 08:46 AM
It takes 2 to tango... Need a team.. not a single person for Victory.

No coach.. no player.. no nothing. Team...

ALL FOR ONE.. and ONE FOR ALL!! Spurs 2006 / 2007 !!

1Parker1
05-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Ben was never the #1 go to guy in Larry Browns offense either but he would always run 3 or 4 plays a game for him to keep him involved on both ends.

Flip's problem is he's given too much reign to Hamilton and Billups. Guys like Prince, Sheed, and to a degree Ben are suffering a little more to get an offensive rythmn when Hamilton and Billups are dominating on offense more so. Also, the entire team seems to have fallen in love with the 3 point and mid-range jumpshot. Whatever happened to them driving and taking it to the basket??