LEONARD
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
1 yr deal...

Trainwreck2100
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
says who

atlfan25
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sprog0530,0,6890705.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Clemens signs with Astros

Roger Clemens is making yet another comeback with the Houston Astros, Newsday has learned. An announcement is expected as soon as today.

Clemens, 43, has signed a one-year deal that is believed to be worth about $3.5 million per month, which will probably equate to about $10.5 million for the season, depending on when exactly he returns to action.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner, who turns 44 in August, has a career record of 344-172. After the Astros declined to offer him salary arbirtation last winter, they forefeited the right to re-sign him until May 1. But Clemens, who broke down physically at the end of last season, seemed intrigued by the idea of pitching only part of a season.

Clemens makes his full-time home in Houston, and his son Koby is a prospect in the Astros' system. While he identified the Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers as other candidates for his services, the Astros seemed a strong favorite - over retirement, as well - these past few months.

Extra Stout
05-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Steve Phillips just got PWNED. He almost guaranteed this morning that Clemens was Boston-bound. I love those Eastcoasties who think they are the total shiz.

leemajors
05-30-2006, 05:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2463566

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, and Astros' owner Drayton McLane also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

McLane also reiterated that Clemens has not signed with the team.

"We haven't finished the deal yet," McLane told the Houston Chronicle. "We've been standing by. Tim or I have talked to him every two or three days. They haven't given us a decision. They haven't said a word to us about it. That's complete news to me. We haven't finalized the deal yet nor has he told us. Boy that's total news to us."

Another baseball executive, whose team has been involved in the Clemens discussions, told Stark on Tuesday that he believes Clemens could sign with the Astros in the next 48 hours. Among the reasons: Clemens' son, Koby, is about ready to come off the disabled list in the Astros' minor league system, making it possible that Clemens could pitch to Koby in his tuneup starts, either in extended spring training or for one of the Astros' minor-league clubs.

A source who has talked to Clemens this month says Clemens spoke about that possibility and seemed intrigued by it. Father and son have been working out together recently, as they both geared up for a return, the source told Stark.

Meanwhile, two baseball men who have been in contact with Clemens told Stark the only other team Clemens is seriously considering is the Red Sox, because they are more willing than the Yankees to give Clemens the kind of schedule and travel concessions the Astros offered him over the last two years. Nevertheless, Houston is still viewed as the favorite. Texas has also been considered a possibility.

d'oh

T Park
05-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Good.

Spend all that money on Clemens, and leave the available hitters for the Cardinals to get :)

leemajors
05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
why would the card need any hitters? rolen, edmonds, pujols is enough for anyone.

Spurminator
05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
The Cards are planning some high dollar mid-season acquisitions?

Who?

DannyT
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
shit fat albert is enough for them right now ....i just hope homeboy dont get hurt

cause that boy is strrrrrrreakin !!!!!

DannyT
05-31-2006, 11:03 AM
ITS OFFICIAL ROCKET SIGNED A MINOR LEAGUE THEN A MAJOR LEAGUE CONTRACT FOR H-TOWN....WE SEE WHAT HE DOES FOR THEIR SEASON!!!!

13mil for HALF a season

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2464315

NEW YORK -- The Houston Astros called a news conference Wednesday to announce that Roger Clemens is rejoining the team.

A source familiar with the negotiations said the Astros and Clemens have agreed on a one-year (or four-month) contract, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported.

Clemens' annual salary will be a prorated $22,000,022 -- meaning that when he returns to the Astros (around June 22), he'll make slightly under $13 million the rest of the year.

He is signing a minor-league contract for now, so he can make three minor-league tuneup starts without being formally optioned to the minors. His prorated minor-league salary is $322,000 per year.

Clemens is scheduled to make three minor-league starts: June 6 for Lexington (pitching to his son, Koby), June 11 for Double-A Corpus Christi and June 16 for Triple-A Round Rock.

Randy Hendricks, Clemens' agent, reiterated Wednesday that earlier reports of a deal were premature. Hendricks said Astros GM Tim Purpura went to Hendricks' house last night and met with Hendricks and his brother, Alan. Owner Drayton McLane also took part in the talks by phone, Hendricks said, and they worked out the terms "after midnight."

The Astros were 27-26 and 6½ games behind the NL Central-leading Cardinals after Tuesday night's 6-3 victory over St. Louis.

Clemens pitched for the Astros last season and helped them reach the World Series for the first time. Houston, the New York Yankees, Boston and Texas all tried to lure Clemens to pitch this season.

Clemens last pitched competitively in the World Baseball Classic, where he beat South Africa for the United States in the first round and lost to Mexico 2-1 in the second on March 16.

In Detroit, New York Yankees manager Joe Torre heard the report Tuesday that Clemens was returning to Houston.

"I'm not at all surprised," he said. "I didn't think that him coming back here was ever going to happen. Houston's just such a perfect fit for him -- he lives there and Andy (Pettitte)'s on the team. That's why he came back before, and the circumstances haven't changed."

Texas owner Tom Hicks was told last week by the Hendricks brothers that the Rangers were out of consideration, GM Jon Daniels said.

"Tom got the call on Friday that we were no longer in the running for his services," Daniels said Tuesday. "The way we looked at it was, it would be an honor to be associated with him but we've continued to focus on the 25 guys here. It would have been nice, but we weren't planning on it from the get-go."

Clemens retired after the 2003 season, then changed his mind and joined his hometown Astros after former Yankees teammate Andy Pettitte left New York to sign with Houston.

Clemens won his seventh Cy Young Award in 2004, going 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA. He went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA last year, winning the major league ERA title for the first time since 1990.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

sa_butta
05-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I was sure he was done.

Horry For 3!
05-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I knew he would sign with the 'Stros for sure, just didn't know when.

Horry For 3!
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Since Clemens is back, Nieve is gone. I wonder what will happen when Backe comes back, if they will send Buchholz to the minors or not. He has been pitching pretty good.

T Park
05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
why would the card need any hitters? rolen, edmonds, pujols is enough for anyone

edmonds is hitting 240 and is on the downside.

Encarnacion has stunk.

They have minor leaguers playing left.

Second base is just a defensive position now, and because they HAVE to send up 9 guys to bat.

The Cards are planning some high dollar mid-season acquisitions?

Who

theyve been scouting Aubrey Huff
Tori Hunter, Shannon Stewart, Miguel Cabrera, and whatever good hitter is available on bad teams during the midseason.

Id like for them to go back after Grudz for second base.

At least get someone thats over the height of 5'2 for second.

T Park
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
also

teams are pitching around Pujols now and forcing guys like Encarnacion, Bigbie, and other stiffs to get hits, when they cant

Hence the need for more big bats.

At least 2.

2 good bats, improve second base.

They are gonna dangle Mark Mulder I assume.

leemajors
05-31-2006, 11:04 PM
i wouldn't get rid of edmonds, he's still a damn good defensive cf even if he has lost a step.

ducks
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
he is a freaking losser for doing this

play half a season
loser

T Park
06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
i wouldn't get rid of edmonds

Uh, they aren't talking about getting rid of him.

But hes not worth 15 million a year, and hes prb out for a while too.

GrandeDavid
06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Thank God!