PDA

View Full Version : Fending off Spurs withdrawal

Kori Ellis
05-31-2006, 12:16 AM
The Water Cooler: Fending off Spurs withdrawal

Web Posted: 05/31/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA053106.2C.COLwatercooler.page2.17b225c7.html

The collective ennui that has pervaded San Antonio in the past few days is a noticeable reminder of life without the Spurs.

A playoff march that was expected to last for several more weeks ended w-a-a-a-a-y too soon for most Alamo City residents.

The team's second-round exit in the Western Conference finals was hard for most fans to accept.

Don't believe it? Just listen to the local radio talk shows and watch the TV sports shows. Stories that wouldn't be considered two or three weeks ago now are being talked about.

And watching NBA playoff games without the Spurs' involvement? It's about as palatable to the San Antonio faithful as eating one of those cholesterol-busting fried chicken-gravy-cheese-and-corn mashed potato bowls being served up at a major fast-food chain.

Even the presence of former Spurs coaching both teams in the West finals hasn't piqued the interest. So much for Avery Johnson's heroics in winning the team's first championship in 1999. And Mike D'Antoni is just another guy who grabbed a cup of coffee with the Spurs in 1976-77.

So it means that fans are left in a dull stupor, wondering what to do during the month of June.

There's always the Missions. And the Silver Stars should remain in the playoff hunt for at least the first few weeks of the season.

Father's Day is approaching in a couple of weeks. And summer vacation for the kids should make it fun for most families over the next few weeks.

But no Silver and Black means that the "Go Spurs Go" signs have been taken down for another season. The videos of the Spurs' stunning Game 7 overtime collapse against Dallas have been erased — or worse.

No more "Big Shot Rob" commercials. No more lining up in the middle of the night for commemorative T-shirts. No river parades. And the Tim Duncan-Brent Barry reading lessons have ended for the summer.

But salvation will come before too long for those fans who absolutely must have the team in their lives.

Don't worry. The NBA draft is only a few weeks away. And the team still might consider stocking a team in the Rocky Mountain Revue this summer.

Trainwreck2100
05-31-2006, 12:18 AM
I want to try one of those KFC chicken bowls

Duncanoypi
05-31-2006, 12:18 AM
wake me up when october ends...

ChumpDumper
05-31-2006, 12:24 AM
I almost wish we had a USBL or WBA team around here.

We do! The Spurs!

MissAllThat
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
I guess I'm the only one that isn't really feeling withdrawals from the Spurs. I usually start to feel basketball withdrawals in July/early August, and then I get impatient in October, but thats about it. There are other sports out there. UT is starting up CWS play this weekend. We've got a baseball/softball title to go after. I'm looking forward to watching team USA compete in the World Cup, and then there's football in late August to keep me busy. Its just that month of July that gets kind of boring. I can only take so much golf and tennis.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2006, 12:33 AM
I think July is one of the best months because of free agency.
August will be okay this year because of the World Championships, etc.
I think September should be the only month that sucks in regards to lack of basketball.

spurs=bling
05-31-2006, 12:34 AM
wake me up when october ends...
ditto

MissAllThat
05-31-2006, 12:38 AM
I think July is one of the best months because of free agency.
I think September should be the only month that sucks in regards to lack of basketball.

I like all the talk, but sometimes I just want to watch a game. All the free agent stuff coupled with who the teams picked up in the draft just makes me want to see them play more. This year August should be ok with the World Championships, and as for me and September, it's a good football month, especially since we have an extra game now and no by-week. Ohio State comes to town. That should be enough to entertain me.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 12:58 AM
we only have one pick, is there anything to feel happy about?

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 04:46 AM
july is the month duncan n bowens kid turn 1 :D

SpursWoman
05-31-2006, 06:01 AM

They are disgustingly good. :drunk

kalikot_boy_kr
05-31-2006, 06:19 AM
off my t.v till nov......waiting next yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

leemajors
05-31-2006, 07:39 AM

i thought for sure the first time i saw that commercial it would have mac and cheese in it too.

Bartzini
05-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Omg...that chickbowl commercial makes me wanna puke.

I couldnt imagine those things being popular. My wife and i gag each time that commercial comes on.

PS: to add, i am having spurs withdrawls. I hate the off season. I am really looking forward to the worldcup this summer, but lack of coverage in the US makes it not as exciting as when i used to live in germany.

CubanMustGo
05-31-2006, 09:00 AM
The german restaurant/bierhaus I frequent is opening up early to telecast WC games, especially those involving Germany.

One good thing about Dallas ... more places to find good German bier than SA.

angel_luv
05-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Was that article supposed to cheer us up?

:hang :lol

angel_luv
05-31-2006, 09:44 AM

And it's my birthday!

Go Slovenia! And Argentina. And the U.S. and France... did I forget anybody? :lol

SpurYank
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Every year is a different feeling. Of course it's better when we have the NBA championship trophy. For some reason, that last game left me with a feeling of satisfaction. Must have been the way we came back and really had the game won, except for having to play those last few seconds that let the game slip away. After the dust settled a day or two after that last game, I began to feel excited about the next season. I have no doubt whatsoever that Pop and his coaching staff will figure out how to get back on top of those Mavericks.

With that good feeling of anticipation, I am enjoying everything else in life that sort of took a backseat while the Spurs were still in it.

MadDog73
05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Omg...that chickbowl commercial makes me wanna puke.

I couldnt imagine those things being popular. My wife and i gag each time that commercial comes on.

I thought it was a joke, like the Taco Town sketch on SNL.

But nope, It's Real. :spless:

texlawman
05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
The Dallas Cowboy Season is around the corner. We'll be happy to share ownership of that franchise since I doubt anyone wants to be associated with the other "team" in Texas.

Perhaps Dallas can win two championships this year.

LilMissSPURfect
05-31-2006, 03:15 PM
my signs are still up and my kids are careful to whisper "SPURS" in front of me :P
they don't want to wake up the giant crybaby in me....

dknights411
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm playing NBA Live non-stop to get over the withdrawl. Now THAT'S an escape.

SA Gunslinger
05-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Spurs will be back.

In the meantime, the orange wedges are sliced and the Caprisuns are on ice in preparation for the World Cup.

spurs=bling
05-31-2006, 05:09 PM
And it's my birthday!

Go Slovenia! And Argentina. And the U.S. and France... did I forget anybody? :lol
my birthday is in august too :depressed

Cant_Be_Faded
05-31-2006, 06:37 PM
ehhhh our drafts lately seem to be 6 year projects, plus we dont even have a first round pick, i think that we are well into the spurs' darkest hour

tlongII
05-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Will the Spurs have a team in the Las Vegas summer league?

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 09:15 PM
My Spurs withdrawal solution:
1 bottle of Amadale vodka
1 bottle of Bloody Mary mix
1 24 oz. bone in ribeye with mushrooms and asparagus
Another bottole of Amadale vodka and bloody mary mix...

Repeat above once a week until I see 12 pink elephants!!! :rollin