PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is "heartburn"?

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Yes, yes I know www.google.com.

But I've been a little sick the past day or so. My stomach feels like it's cramping up, and when I burp I get this awful smell in my mouth. Like food in my stomach is rotting. Is there a name for this?

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 12:52 AM
when food goes down and around the chest area feels like u cant breathe for 1 sec or 2.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 12:54 AM
It's called being in love. :lmao

E-love. :princess

I should go "stalk" her some more.

DannyT
05-31-2006, 12:55 AM
It's called being in love. :lmao

see what i mean and you said leave the kid alone ...... :depressed

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 12:55 AM
when food goes down and around the chest area feels like u cant breathe for 1 sec or 2.

Huh?

I don't mean when I eat. I mean in general. Like I got up this morning, and as soon as I got out of bed I could feel it. I didn't eat too much the night before either...and nobody else in my family had problems with it.

DannyT
05-31-2006, 12:58 AM
did you eat spicy food fool ?

if not then i dont know ....i know women that are prego sometimes have these symtoms ...so many they are symapthy symtopms for you hommie

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 01:04 AM
did you eat spicy food fool ?

if not then i dont know ....i know women that are prego sometimes have these symtoms ...so many they are symapthy symtopms for you hommie

Ya, but I have spicy food everyday. I'm Pakistani...that's how we do.

It's really annoying b/c it doesn't get any better until I puke. So this time I just enduced vomiting myself to spare myself another few hours of pain.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 01:23 AM
You might have an STD...(inside joke :lol)

My guess is that you smoke too much.

Son of a ... how'd you know that?

I was actually thinking that. I had about 4 cigs almost back to back to back. I didn't feel anything going to sleep though, slept like a baby.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 01:38 AM
Dude, I remember everything posted in this damn forum. You once said after the bball GTG that you played shitty because you had become a smoker. And the other day you said you wanted to blaze it up with Mouse. Those are good indications that you are a smoker. This is why you have that burning feeling.

You think so? There's a link between smoking and this?

I need to quit then. This shitty feeling is not something to look forward to. And I'm impressed you remember that shit. Are you in SA? You should come to one of the bball meets sometime.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 02:38 AM
if you keep on gettin it, you should go see ur doctor, thats what happen to me, i cant explain it in general how it happens, but when i was overseas, i kept on gettin heartburns after i eat, then there were times i couldnt breathe so the doctor gave me this shit that helps the food digest, something to do with fo'shizzle acid.

DannyT
05-31-2006, 05:51 AM
drink milk

SpursWoman
05-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Try an antacid like Tums or Pepto...if it persists, definitely see a doctor. If it's acid reflux, it could destroy your esophagus and all that good stuff. Plus, it sucks. :fro

travis2
05-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Yes, yes I know www.google.com.

But I've been a little sick the past day or so. My stomach feels like it's cramping up, and when I burp I get this awful smell in my mouth. Like food in my stomach is rotting. Is there a name for this?

I'd go see your doc anyway. It is possible that your digestive tract has (temporarily) stopped moving. (Happened to me once)

It usually clears itself up in a day or so. So why see the doc? (1) Just in case it doesn't, and (2) he/she might be able to deduce what it was that caused it in the first place (many possibilities).

ShoogarBear
05-31-2006, 08:46 AM
It could be gastroesophageal reflux or peptic ulcer disease. Smoking doesn't help. Something like over-the-counter Pepcid or Zantac may help, but for someone your age, I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

1Parker1
05-31-2006, 08:47 AM
^Damn, when'd you get so smart?

Old School Chic
05-31-2006, 08:54 AM

When he became a Spurs Fan

ShoogarBear
05-31-2006, 08:55 AM

Reflux = old guys disease

Old School Chic
05-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Reflux = old guys disease

I don't think you are old... :depressed

:D

ShoogarBear
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't think you are old...

:makeout

Some 1people1 around here have given me a complex . . . :angel

1Parker1
05-31-2006, 09:10 AM
I don't think you are old... :depressed

You're probably old too. :lol

I'm kidding, I love you OSC :makeout

Old School Chic
05-31-2006, 09:25 AM
:makeout

Some 1people1 around here have given me a complex . . . :angel

You are my favorite bear of all time http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/animal/animal-smiley-062.gif

Old School Chic
05-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Duh! My User name says it all :lol

TheRage
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM
stop guzzling man juice.

lilmads
05-31-2006, 09:44 AM

It's really annoying b/c it doesn't get any better until I puke. So this time I just enduced vomiting myself to spare myself another few hours of pain.

I had no clue you were Pakistani... :)
Yeah spicy food does it sometimes... But if you're used to it, then that's not the cause of it.

1Parker1
05-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Duh! My User name says it all :lol

:lol That's why you two get along so well! :angel

pache100
05-31-2006, 10:14 AM

You think so? There's a link between smoking and this?
I need to quit then. This shitty feeling is not something to look forward to. And I'm impressed you remember that shit. Are you in SA? You should come to one of the bball meets sometime.

It could be an ulcer, but probably not. It could be the beginnings of acid reflux. Or, it could just be plain old indigestion. Spicy foods, greasy or fried foods, and smoking definitely can be contributing factors. When you feel this way, try mixing a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drinking it. This should relieve your discomfort. Also, carry some Pepcid Complete with you in your pocket. They make them in little individual packages, so you don't have to carry the whole bottle. If you know ahead of time that you will be eating something that has caused you discomfort in the past, you can take a Pepcid AC ahead of time to prevent it. Note: Pepcid AC and Pepcid Complete are two different products, and they are a little expensive, but you don't have to use as much of them as you would Tums or Rolaids, so it balances out. Also, drink a lot of water (like at least 8 glasses a day) and don't drink sodas with food. This helps with the acid reduction because it dilutes it and helps flush it from your system.

drink milk

Don't drink milk when you have indigestion. It's an old wives tale that it relieves the symptoms. In actuality, the lactic acid in milk makes the problem worse. If you do drink milk, drink 2% or less, because it's the fat in the milk solids that cause the problem.

It could be gastroesophageal reflux or peptic ulcer disease. Smoking doesn't help. Something like over-the-counter Pepcid or Zantac may help, but for someone your age, I'd suggest seeing a doctor.

Definitely quitting smoking should help. I would see a doctor if the simple medications don't help. I recommend Pepcid because it works faster (I carry it with me all the time).

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 10:16 AM
if you eat alot of chilli expect heartbeart when u go take a dump :(

pache100
05-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Forgot to add: Eat at least one yogurt every day (make sure it's the kind with "live cultures", the other kind won't help). It will aid your digestion and it also boosts your immune system. If I eat a container of yogurt every day, I rarely have heartburn or indigestion, no matter what other foods I eat.

DannyT
05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
whatta clown

DannyT
05-31-2006, 10:20 AM
damn dude sounds like you should just starve yourself

pache100
05-31-2006, 10:43 AM
whatta clown

Who is a clown?

damn dude sounds like you should just starve yourself

Why?

DannyT
05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
TDMVPDPOY

and i was joking ...cause it seems like he has to go through sooo uch drama to eat

ashbeeigh
05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Don't die, the last time I felt like that I felt like crap for months everytime I ate the same thing, and then...bam. contusion on my left shoulder. Just avoid the food you had. Maybe that's all you can do?

Please_dont_ban_me
05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Don't die, the last time I felt like that I felt like crap for months everytime I ate the same thing, and then...bam. contusion on my left shoulder. Just avoid the food you had. Maybe that's all you can do?

That's the thing...I'm not sure what it was that caused it. I had rice, chicken and yogurt for dinner. I have that often,...so I don't know. I had some leftovers of Long John Silver earlier in te morning. Fish, friehs and hush puppies. Maybe it was that?

Anywho

Thanks to the guy with the paragraph of advice. The thing is, this doesn't happen often. It's like, every once in a while...to a point that each time I don't go to the doc and then the next time it happens I wish I had. About Pepcid AC I guess I ould carry it on me, but ti'll be months until the next time. :D (but I did wake up with it again today, which is 2 days in a row....which isn't normal. I felt better last night and had a normal dinner...bad idea apparently). Anywho, I'll grab some Pepcid Complete. Thanks.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
The standard non-medication recommendations are these: Elevate the head of the bed; reduce fat intake; quit smoking; remain upright three hours or more after meals.