PDA

View Full Version : A complet list of NBA 7'ers that play worse defense then Dirk

picnroll
05-31-2006, 12:14 PM
A complet list of NBA 7'ers that play worse defense then Dirk

1. ?

MoSpur
05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Rasho

AZLouis
05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
1. Nikoloz Tskitishvili

Bruno
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
2. Mark Blount

picnroll
05-31-2006, 12:18 PM
I was thinking of Skita but does he actually play in the NBA? If I ws Dirk I'd be rooting for Skita getting playing time.

Rasho? No way. _irk dreams of playing D like Rasho.

TDMVPDPOY
05-31-2006, 12:20 PM
I was thinking of Skita but does he actually play in the NBA? If I ws Dirk I'd be rooting for Skita getting playing time.

Rasho? No way. _irk dreams of playing D like Rasho.
his on the suns bench

JamStone
05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Most 7-footers are centers so don't need as much athleticism or mobility to be effective at defense because they just stay downlow and protect the basket. Dirk generally defends more mobile and agile power forwards.

But, among those 7-footers that actually get some playing time?

Andrew Bogut, Jerome James, Michael Olowokandi, Jake Voskuhl, Rafael Araujo ... maybe a few more.

Could definitely add guys like Ervin Johnson, Mario Kasun, Pat Burke, Ha Seung Jin, among others that don't really play.

Shank
05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Wait. Height equals defense?

Then Manute Bol needs to come out of retirement.

picnroll
05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Actually Manute was a pretty decent defender. Most of the guys on JamStones list are capable of playing better D then _irk. _irk can't guard the perimeter and he can't guard the basket.

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 01:07 PM
List of Spurs 7 footers NOT sitting on their couch right now..

1. ???

Dirk is what he is...a PF with a 7' frame that shoots like a SG. He definitely gets ZERO credit for at least improving his defense over the years...

and I know he did this just a couple weeks ago...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ce013_mavs_spurs.jpg

breaking the hearts of Spurs fans all over the world...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ge003_mavs_spurs.jpg

GO CUBAN GO!!! :fro

CosmicCowboy
05-31-2006, 01:14 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ge003_mavs_spurs.jpg

notice the wet spot on his jeans from dry humping Howard?

TheSanityAnnex
05-31-2006, 01:14 PM
1. Brad Miller

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 01:16 PM
notice the wet spot on his jeans from dry humping Howard?

I didn't notice...

Spurs fans would all dry-hump Howard too if it meant him becoming a Spur...hahaha

All I can see is a bunch of 1 sport town havin' hearts simultaneously breaking in the background... :lol

picnroll
05-31-2006, 01:19 PM
1. Brad Miller

That's one.

strangeweather
05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
All I can see is a bunch of 1 sport town havin' hearts simultaneously breaking in the background... :lol
Yeah, must be nice having all those teams... especially since it's May, so the Rangers are still in it. :lol

Of course, the Stars got eliminated in the first round, and the Cowboys haven't won a playoff series in a decade.

Well, at least your Arena League team is still in things, right?

I take it back -- maybe it's not so great having all those teams. :spin

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, must be nice having all those teams... especially since it's May, so the Rangers are still in it. :lol

Of course, the Stars got eliminated in the first round, and the Cowboys haven't won a playoff series in a decade.

LMAO...you got me there!! Having 1 team > 4 teams... :lol
Nothing > Rangers
Nothing > Stars
Nothing > Cowboys

If the Cowboys wanted to relocate to SA, I'm sure the people of SA would riot in disgust, right?? :lol

Sorry dude, but that's the worst argument in the history of ever...

and the Desperados will win the AFL this year :fro

TheSanityAnnex
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
That's one.No need to post anymore. Brad Miller takes the cake.

strangeweather
05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Nothing > Rangers
Actually, I'm pretty sure this one is true. :)

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure this one is true. :)

Thare ARE in first place right now... :hat

and they do have some guys that are fun to watch...

Michael Young - the most under-rated player in MLB
Mark Texiera
Hank Blalock

which is, I think, much > nothing

fyatuk
05-31-2006, 02:04 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57534035ce013_mavs_spurs.jpg

LOL! Bowen looks completely surprised! Dirk? Going to the hoop? Where's Rod Sterling?

Some people need to chill. Dallas is one of the best sports towns in the world. That very fact is one reason SA gets shitted on when it comes to sports.

Though the Rangers are quite the aggravating team to be a fan of...

strangeweather
05-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Thare ARE in first place right now... :hat

and they do have some guys that are fun to watch...

Michael Young - the most under-rated player in MLB
Mark Texiera
Hank Blalock

which is, I think, much > nothing
Oh, I know.

And anyway, I live in Wyoming these days, where we don't have any teams at all. :)

DubMcDub
05-31-2006, 02:11 PM

You post a lot of stuff I find to be quite intelligent and reasonable, but this here is a bit daft.

It seems you're implying it's better to not have a team at all than have a team that hasn't won a championship in the last few years (Stars, Cowboys) or at all (Rangers)? Seems a bit contradictory to the way the entire town of SA rallied like hell around the Saints...when's the last time they won anything? My impression is that SA would desperately love to have more pro sports teams. I bet there would be very few protests if it was announced that the Rangers were moving to SA tomorrow.

Just wondering exactly what you mean by this. Or maybe you just weren't being serious at all? :spin

MadDog73
05-31-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't know about defense, but I would love to have another 7 footer to pull down double digit rebounds each night...

strangeweather
05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
You post a lot of stuff I find to be quite intelligent and reasonable, but this here is a bit daft.

It seems you're implying it's better to not have a team at all than have a team that hasn't won a championship in the last few years (Stars, Cowboys) or at all (Rangers)? Seems a bit contradictory to the way the entire town of SA rallied like hell around the Saints...when's the last time they won anything? My impression is that SA would desperately love to have more pro sports teams. I bet there would be very few protests if it was announced that the Rangers were moving to SA tomorrow.

Just wondering exactly what you mean by this. Or maybe you just weren't being serious at all? :spin
Relax, I was just kidding. :)

And actually, I'm a Cowboys fan anyway, though the Stars are dead to me ever since they relocated away from Minnesota.

jcrod
05-31-2006, 02:17 PM
This a basketball forum, Spurs to be exact. Its really stupid to bring that this lovely city only has one sport. Moronic take, Dallas finally wins one series and Mavs fans act like they've OWNED the Spurs everytime. Go gloat about them on Mavs forums.

MadDog73
05-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Most people living in San Antonio are Cowboy fans, so the Hate for Dallas is hilarious...

I guess the good thing about not having a baseball, football, or hockey team is we can root for whoever we want....

like the Saints. :rolleyes

DubMcDub
05-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Most people living in San Antonio are Cowboy fans, so the Hate for Dallas is hilarious...

I guess the good thing about not having a baseball, football, or hockey team is we can root for whoever we want....

like the Saints. :rolleyes

Yeah I know a lot of people from SA and they are all fans of the following 3 teams: The Spurs (obviously), the Cowboys, and the Astros.

Never fails. I dont know if that's just the norm for SA residents or what. Though I can't blame them for picking the Cowboys--who in their right mind would root for the Texans outside of Houston?

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 03:15 PM
This a basketball forum, Spurs to be exact. Its really stupid to bring that this lovely city only has one sport. Moronic take, Dallas finally wins one series and Mavs fans act like they've OWNED the Spurs everytime. Go gloat about them on Mavs forums.

Nope, just that the Mavs are the better team right NOW which is all that matters :fro

This thread was idiotic, so I figured I'd throw in my own idiotic shot...

If Spurs fans are STILL going to take shots at Dirk now, they'll always take shots at him...unless of course he was on their team and they'd realize his greatness... :fro

fyatuk
05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah I know a lot of people from SA and they are all fans of the following 3 teams: The Spurs (obviously), the Cowboys, and the Astros.

Never fails. I dont know if that's just the norm for SA residents or what. Though I can't blame them for picking the Cowboys--who in their right mind would root for the Texans outside of Houston?

Personally I prefer the Rangers to the Astros. Then again, I like Dallas as a city more than Houston, and I started following baseball in the year I lived in Denton...

fyatuk
05-31-2006, 03:25 PM
If Spurs fans are STILL going to take shots at Dirk now, they'll always take shots at him...unless of course he was on their team and they'd realize his greatness... :fro

I'd still take shots at him. To me, the epitome of Dirk is him standing 5' from Duncan, waving for someone 30' away to come guard Tim, with the ball in the corner after a steal. He's got all the talent in the world, and is certainly a force, but he's a spoiled prima-donna chicken.

Not that the big 3 for the Spurs aren't spoled prima-donnas...

sickdsm
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Most 7-footers are centers so don't need as much athleticism or mobility to be effective at defense because they just stay downlow and protect the basket. Dirk generally defends more mobile and agile power forwards.

But, among those 7-footers that actually get some playing time?

Andrew Bogut, Jerome James, Michael Olowokandi, Jake Voskuhl, Rafael Araujo ... maybe a few more.

Could definitely add guys like Ervin Johnson, Mario Kasun, Pat Burke, Ha Seung Jin, among others that don't really play.

You can take Kandi and Earv out of that mix right now. Earv was VERY solid when he was with the wolves, without him and Trenton they don't make WCF that year. Its a shame to get old but you can't point to that. Kandi can play some good D but he fouls quite a bit.

SlovenianGuy
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Primoz Brezec.

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd still take shots at him. To me, the epitome of Dirk is him standing 5' from Duncan, waving for someone 30' away to come guard Tim, with the ball in the corner after a steal. He's got all the talent in the world, and is certainly a force, but he's a spoiled prima-donna chicken.

Not that the big 3 for the Spurs aren't spoled prima-donnas...

LOL...chicken?? :lol

Wow...

fyatuk
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
LOL...chicken?? :lol

Wow...

He is. He could have put up unheard of numbers in the SA-Mavs series if he was going towards the hoop aggressively. Instead until game 7 he drove from side to side and shot from the wings because he didn't want to face a shot blocker. Just imagine what would have happened if he took the ball straight into Tim and got him in foul trouble on a regular basis.

And that BS on defense was just pathetic. I respect Dirks skills, but I don't respect his game.

picnroll
05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Dirk's very good on offense obviously. He flails to get calls but it works for him. He rebounds well. His defense sucks ass.

exstatic
05-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Nazr Mohammed.
Worst
Spurs
Starting
Pivot
"Defender"
EVER

T Park
05-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Ex beat me to it.

Nazr Mohammed makes Dirk Nowitzki look like Dennis Rodman.

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
He is. He could have put up unheard of numbers in the SA-Mavs series if he was going towards the hoop aggressively. Instead until game 7 he drove from side to side and shot from the wings because he didn't want to face a shot blocker. Just imagine what would have happened if he took the ball straight into Tim and got him in foul trouble on a regular basis.

And that BS on defense was just pathetic. I respect Dirks skills, but I don't respect his game.

So you're saying that Dirk only drove to the rim in game 7???

maddnezz
06-01-2006, 08:31 AM
I didn't notice...

Spurs fans would all dry-hump Howard too if it meant him becoming a Spur...hahaha

TOOL :madrun

maddnezz
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Nope, just that the Mavs are the better team right NOW which is all that matters :fro

This thread was idiotic, so I figured I'd throw in my own idiotic shot...

Dirk got a nice jumper however his D sucks. Lets be truthful about that. We shit on our teams shortcomings and mistakes, can you say the same, LEONARD?????????? :fro

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
TOOL :madrun

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/60996.jpg

:lol

Dirk got a nice jumper however his D sucks. Lets be truthful about that. We shit on our teams shortcomings and mistakes, can you say the same, LEONARD?????????? :fro

I have NO PROBLEM with Dirk's defense, or lack of...he's improved it 10 fold over the years and he is what he is, which is one of the top players in the league that led his team past the mighty Spurs this year... :fro

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I have NO PROBLEM with Dirk's defense, or lack of...he's improved it 10 fold over the years
And we all know what 10 * 0 is, right? :spin

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
And we all know what 10 * 0 is, right? :spin

*score*

fyatuk
06-01-2006, 02:12 PM
So you're saying that Dirk only drove to the rim in game 7???

When Tim was in the game guarding the rim, pretty much.

waly.mg
06-01-2006, 02:21 PM
The problem of somes 7 Footer is that

They only are in the NBA because they have 6 Fouls, if they are in Foul troubles isnīt any problem, so they make fouls and you can see defense

Irk canīt make fouls, because his team need him and do anything, Like a Player who is with 5 Fouls

picnroll
06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Only trouble with that is guys like Duncan, Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Brand, Rasheed Wallace can do both. That's why they are great two way players and _irk isn't.

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Only trouble with that is guys like Duncan, Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Brand, Rasheed Wallace can do both. That's why they are great two way players and _irk isn't.

He may not be a GREAT defender, but he's a more versatile offensive player than any of those guys...

Duncan - Dirk - Brand - Garnett - O'Neal - Wallace would be my order of ranking them as far as guys I'd want on my team...

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
He may not be a GREAT defender, but he's a more versatile offensive player than any of those guys...

Duncan - Dirk - Brand - Garnett - O'Neal - Wallace would be my order of ranking them as far as guys I'd want on my team...
Garnett is one of those guys whose stock is bizarrely low thanks to a worthless front office. It's sort of like when T-Mac got traded for Steve Francis plus pocket change, or Vince Carter got dumped for a case of Natty Light and some dryer lint.

I don't mean this as an attack on Dirk, but if you guys could swap Dirk for KG straight up, you would be an even better team.

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Garnett is one of those guys whose stock is bizarrely low thanks to a worthless front office. It's sort of like when T-Mac got traded for Steve Francis plus pocket change, or Vince Carter got dumped for a case of Natty Light and some dryer lint.

I don't mean this as an attack on Dirk, but if you guys could swap Dirk for KG straight up, you would be an even better team.

Right now, maybe so...but in 2 or 3 years??? I factored good years left into my ranking of those players...

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Right now, maybe so...but in 2 or 3 years??? I factored good years left into my ranking of those players...
Remember, he's only 2 years older than Dirk.

Granted he's racked up a lot of regular season games over the years (though, uh, not as many playoff games).

DarrinS
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Dirk's not really called upon to play defense, the way other "bigs" are expected to.

One 7+ footer that immediately sprung to my mind was Shawn Bradley. I think he led the league in blocks one season. But, his "D" was always questionable when they played the Spurs -- IMO.

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 07:26 AM
F all the Dirk haters!!! hahahahahaha

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060602/capt.762b80dc1059434abffbb0706e5f9192.suns_maveric ks__basketball_dna116.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060602/capt.f5d0eb5589a34758854c73102c513afd.suns_maveric ks__basketball_dna107.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57561977th016_suns_mavs.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060602/capt.eae8c95370ea49a09253789da86f723f.suns_maveric ks__basketball_dna106.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57561977mc037_phoenix_suns_.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57561977mc029_phoenix_suns_.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57561977th009_suns_mavs.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060602/capt.65c17780e026424a9811bb1925e894f3.suns_maveric ks__basketball_dna119.jpg

themvp
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Props to Dirk...