PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Disneyworld?

Ballcox
05-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm taking the 'family unit' to Disneyworld in Orlando in a couple of weeks and have been studying up on tips, hints, places to see, etc. I'm already buying park tickets ahead of time to save some $, and we're staying in a condo right down in the middle of all the Disney hoopla. Any other tips and/or ideas from others who have been there would be helpful, especially if you've been there with kids. Thanks! :spin

baseline bum
05-31-2006, 01:31 PM
The Star Wars ride is amazing, as are Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. The whole park is outstanding, except for the lame 1950 rides of the future concentrated in one part of the Magic Kingdom I think. Get a wheelcahair for one of the kids or the wife so you can go to the front of every line. ;)

Dumbass
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Leave your testicles at home, you'll have much more fun.

SpursWoman
05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Get a wheelcahair for one of the kids or the wife so you can go to the front of every line. ;)

:lmao :lmao

We're flirting with the idea of making that trek, too ... have a great time!

Ballcox
05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Honest to God, this trip is freaking me out. We're drving all the way out there, stopping in Alabama to see the wife's relatives (just hum the theme song to Deliverance at this point), and then hitting Disneyworld for 6 damn days. I know, it's all about the kids and this trip is really more for them, I'm just hoping to get one day of golf in while I'm there. Problem is I've got a 12 yr. old and then 3 yr. old twins, so I've got to figure out what parks/rides, etc. will work best for the different ages, any advice or helpful tips is much appreciated!

CubanMustGo
05-31-2006, 03:04 PM
The "Mission to Mars" is an awesome simulator where they actually spin you up to 1G. My company sponsors the ride so we got to go to the head of the line. Not good for real young kids.

Space Mountain and Splash Mountain are great fun for all ages and well-executed.

I liked the GM ride (Epcot), it's kind of kitchy and you end up going at a pretty decent pace towards the end. I was very disappointed in what used to be the AT&T ride in the big ball at the front of Epcot. It has aged, not terribly gracefully, and they GOT RID OF THE WALTER CRONKITE VOICEOVER. Horrors!!

Going in the "single" line will save you a lot of time when available, but be aware they WILL split you up when you get to the boarding area.

Take advantage of the rides that have the FastPass ticket reservation system, tho you can only get one ticket/person at a time. You can go ride something with a shorter line while all the buffoons are waiting in the regular line. When your time comes you go straight to the front with much shorter lines.

The Space Ranger ride (WTH is the guy's name, Woody's friend in Toy Story) is fun for families.

Avoid the Snow White and Dumbo rides. Lame stuff you get in any decent carny show (sans Disney characters) and long long waits.

If you go to Epcot be aware it's more educational than fun, especially the International Showcase which is mostly exhibits, shops, and restauraunts. Younger kids will prolly get bored. On the plus side you can get all sorts of beer and wine in the International Showcase ...

Star Wars and Tower of Terror (MGM) are awesome.

There are some rides with height limitations (e.g. must be 48" tall to ride). If the rest of the family wants to go on the ride you can do something called the "Baby Swap" where parent 1 stays with the kiddo while the family rides, then parent 2 gets to ride after parent 1 shows up.

Highly recommend the "Unofficial Guide to WDW." Good advice on where to eat, where not to eat as well as everything else.

05-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Since you're staying on the property, if you can, get on the meal plan. The wife and kids came down here a few weeks ago and we more than made out for the better by going that way.

For your twins, I'd say Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Also, if one of the twins is a girl, make reservations early for either the "Cinderella Dinner" or the "Princess Storybook Dinner". We went to the latter and it's in Epcot at the Norwegian restaurant. It's damn good food, the daughter was awestruck that ALL the Princesses were there to see her, the boy threw food on the floor and loaded his britches (But he did grab Sleeping Beauty's bodice and have a gander to see if she was really smuggling pencil erasers, that's my boy) and the wife had a few shots of Aquavit (sp?) which in due course led to me getting a vacation shot of leg since both kids were wiped out by 9:00.

Yea, I like Disneyworld.

Jimcs50
05-31-2006, 03:54 PM
I have been to Orlando about 15 times, so I pretty much know everything there is to know about Disney and Universal Studios.

If kids are older than 10, do not even go to Disney. Go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure instead. They blow Disney away. They are rated the best theme parks in the world. Also if you stay at Hard Rock or one of the 3 hotels there, you get to use your room key and get in every fast line, so you never wait more than 10 mins for any ride. At Disney, you will be waiting in line for everything, sometimes up to 1 1/2 hrs, which totally blows.

You can get Fast passes at Disney, but only one per 2 hrs or so.

If you go to Disney, then here are my recommendations:

1. Downtown Disney is cool and they have great restaurants. Portabella's is the best restaurant. They also have The Rainforrest Cafe. There is a huge Legos store there and the kids can play with them outside for hours.

2. Epcot is nice and they have rides too, but more for kids over 8. Test Track is the coolest ride.

The best countries to eat are Morocco and France. They have belly dancers at Morocco restaurant.

3. Magic Kingdom is good for kids 12 and under.

Best rides are Space Mountain, Run away Mine Train, The Haunted Mansion, and my favorite is the Splash Mountain ride.

Eat at The California Grill at night which is at Contemporary Resort next to Magic Kingdom. It is on roof and you can watch the fireworks from roof after you eat. It is a bit pricey, but worth it.

4. Animal Kingdom is fun too and go see A Bugs Life, and Count down to Extinction the kids will like it a lot.

Have fun!

2centsworth
05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Forget Golf, enjoy the parks. 6 days is not enough to do it all.

You and your family will have an amazing time.

UtownSpur
05-31-2006, 06:12 PM
great info...i may go with the g/f and 3 year old in august.

Carie
05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
My #1 piece of advice is always to stay on site so that you can go back in the middle of the afternoon and rest. And the busses drop you off at the front door anywhere you want to go.

The water parks are a lot of fun also, didn't see those mentioned.

Probably not a lot for the 3 yr olds to enjoy at Epcot.

xcoriate
06-01-2006, 06:09 AM
sounds like you could use some exposure.

gay abc
06-01-2006, 07:08 AM
I'll be there next monday.....good advice thanks.

Homesexual days are this weekend:flypig :cheer :spless: ...hopefully when I get there on monday all the homosexuals will have gone home because I'm uncomfortable with my manhood.

I booked our vacation between june5-june9.....whew! I almost fucked up this vacation before it even started:lol

well damn... you gonna miss Gloria Gaynor (http://www.onemightyweekend.com/) :lol

why are you uncomfortable with your manhood? :spin

travis2
06-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I love Epcot. Of course, Kori called me a geek, so you should expect that. I liked the Norwegian restaurant.

If you're going to be there...then staying on site is the way to go, definitely.

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2006, 08:25 AM
ON PARKING
if you're not staying on Disney World property.. the nthis is what you do:
drive up to the gate and act like you are just arriving for your resort stay, tell them you are staying at the Polynesian but don't know where it is.
they will direct you to right around the corner.
park at the polynesian, go into the hotel, and get on the train.
bingo, free parkign and it brings you right to the front door of whichever park you are going to.

I LOVE EPCOT!!
epcot was awesome... you really have to look into it! China and Germany were the best... not to mention the whole Mission Spoace and Test Trak...
they used to have this really interesting thing with Bill nye the science guy and a bunch of dinosaurs. dont; know if that is still there.
I really liked the Innventions place.. they cooked liek 13 dozen cookies in an oven in 4 min.s... and then I got to eat most of them. Free food is hard to come by there so that was super cool.

as far as the Kingdom:
the tiki birds, the hall of presidents and it;s a small world are the suckiest things of all time. Seriously. I could not get out of the tiki bird hut fast enough.
Splash Mountain was cool - but ride it very early like ASAP becasue I waited in line for 3 hours.. on a tuesday..... in february.

there is an excellent book that maps out how you can get thru the park and do what you want to do based on what your interests are and the age level of the people in your group.
I forget the name but I'll see if we still have it.
it was an awesome book! It shoudl you all kinds of shortcuts and tips and hints. Wonderfull.

We;ll be going again in fall 2007 so i really need to find that book again.

Oh- and if you;re not sure where you are staying and you haven't bought the tix yet: definatly book a resort stay @ the disney web site.
I was pricing it & was able to get a 6 ngiht 7 day stay with 5 day tickets (we want to do other orlando stuff too) for $1250. Including food would be $1800.

have fun!

CubanMustGo
06-01-2006, 08:31 AM
there is an excellent book that maps out how you can get thru the park and do what you want to do based on what your interests are and the age level of the people in your group.
I forget the name but I'll see if we still have it.
it was an awesome book! It shoudl you all kinds of shortcuts and tips and hints. Wonderfull.

This sounds like the "unofficial guide" that I was talking about. There is a version for people with kids (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764537261/qid=1149168525/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-7121920-0027358?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) and a more general version (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764583417/ref=pd_sim_b_1/102-7121920-0027358?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155).

Someone else talked about Universal. While the rides are arguably better (when they aren't broke down), I find the Universal experience overall to be much less compelling, and the little details not nearly as well executed as WDW.

Taco
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm taking the 'family unit' to Disneyworld ..Advice for Disneyworld?

Just remember

Mickey didn't leave Minnie because she's Fucking Crazy!!

It's because she's Fucking Goofy!!!

Taco
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
^^old Joke

Mickey Mouse was trying to convince a judge to give him a divorce from
Minnie Mouse:

Judge: "I'm sorry Mickey, but you claiming Minnie is crazy is not a valid
reason for me to grant a divorce."

Mickey: "I didn't say she was crazy, I said she was fucking Goofy!"

gay abc
06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I am uncomfortable with fags.

usually means you are one deep down inside yourself :rolleyes

ObiwanGinobili
06-01-2006, 06:54 PM
:corn:
usually means you are one deep down inside yourself :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I am uncomfortable with fags.

I guess you are also uncomfortable with posting on the forum.

Good bye.

It seems that someone would be smart enough to figure out when I go in and edit a word out, that I don't want you to repeat it.

:shootme

kris
06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
I guess you are also uncomfortable with posting on the forum.

Good bye.

It seems that someone would be smart enough to figure out when I go in and edit a word out, that I don't want you to repeat it.

:shootme

Busted.