PDA

View Full Version : Should Larry Brown coach the Spurs?

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-31-2006, 01:26 PM
maybe he could help the Spurs play defense again

*thinks back to king/Mavs series and watching a Spurs team giving up 50%+ FG a night*

ducks
05-31-2006, 01:27 PM
your title is a little misleading

RON ARTEST
05-31-2006, 01:33 PM
your title is stupid. your gonna scare spurs fans to death if your not careful. :lol

pache100
05-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Larry who?

(Larry will be lucky to be coaching the Knicks next season, let alone the Spurs)

sa_butta
05-31-2006, 01:46 PM

*thinks back to king/Mavs series and watching a Spurs team giving up 50%+ FG a night*Is he going to suit up with the players and shoot better too?

Texas_Ranger
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
I would like to see if he would be an assistand coach, but I know that is not going to happen

Slomo
05-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Who do you mean?
Larry "I'm open for job discussions after the All Star break" Brown?

CubanMustGo
05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Larry's goin' to Sacto

Budkin
05-31-2006, 01:56 PM
NO NO NO. That is all.

gtownspur
05-31-2006, 01:59 PM
larry is going to coach at CU.

Go buffs!!

Vashner
05-31-2006, 02:02 PM
We been there.. done that....

CosmicCowboy
05-31-2006, 02:06 PM
:lmao

Damn we get some crazy threads started in here.

Jimcs50
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Larry will be coaching Golden State next year.

whottt
05-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Larry's nagging and media ambush tactics would make him hated by just about every guy on the roster, and IMO, especially Tim Duncan.

This isn't really speculation...it's what happened the last time Brown coached here....even Drob, the good soldier, was happy to see him go.

LB is a great coach, but he's also a flakey raving egomanica that considers himself beyond blame...and seems more concerned with how many different teams it is possible for him to be getting paid by at one time...

I have lost a ton of respect for Larry Brown after what he pulled in Detroit and have no desire to ever see him him coach the Spurs again.

RON ARTEST
05-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Larry's goin' to Sacto
what gives you that idea?

RON ARTEST
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Larry will be coaching Golden State next year.
cris mullin said hes sticking with mike montgomery.

angel_luv
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
I like to keep Coach Pop, thank you.

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Larry ain't coaching the pros if he gets his butt fired in NY. If anything he's better off coaching a college team; something that he has COMPLETE control over.

He's pretty much passed his usefulness in the league. Whines to damn much. Got more baggage than a Samsonite outlet store in San Marcos.

milkyway21
05-31-2006, 09:24 PM

*thinks back to king/Mavs series and watching a Spurs team giving up 50%+ FG a night*

NO!

i don't know if somebody already posted this article but Pops really is a good person and cares about San Antonio Spurs players, community, and fans...

David Flores: Pop's note pulls at heartstrings

The envelope bearing the Spurs' logo immediately caught the attention of Conrado Perez Jr. as he went through his mail Friday in Eagle Pass.

"When I saw it was addressed to me, I wondered, 'Why are the Spurs writing to me?'" Perez said Tuesday.

Perez, whose youngest son was killed in Iraq last month, hardly could believe it when he discovered the envelope contained a letter of condolence from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"The tears started coming when I read it," Perez said. "For him to take time off from the rigors of the playoffs to write to me, well, I was overwhelmed. It made me feel like I'm important instead of an insignificant human being."

Marine Lance Cpl. Stephen Joseph Perez, a 2002 St. Anthony High School graduate, was killed April 13 by shrapnel from an explosion in Al Anbar Province.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2005-2006/0524stephen_perez.jpg

Stephen Perez, photographed at home last year, wears his Spurs allegiance proudly.

He was 22.

Perez, who played football and baseball at St. Anthony, was an avid Spurs fan who usually asked about the team when he called or wrote his family. One of the first things Perez did when he came home on leave last June was change into his Tim Duncan jersey.

Popovich's letter to Perez's father was dated May 18, the day before the Spurs beat the Dallas Mavericks in Dallas to force a seventh game in the Western Conference semifinals.

The complete text of the letter follows:

Dear Mr. Perez,

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I cannot imagine how much you miss Stephen, knowing how much he must have meant to your family.

It is obvious that he was a die-hard Spurs fan, no matter what the situation. What we do here is quite insignificant compared to the job he was doing in Iraq. The daily danger and pressure he had to endure is hard to even contemplate, and he and his colleagues are the ones who should be held up as heroes.

All of us here hope time will diminish the pain you must feel.

We will do our best to make both Stephen and your family proud.

Most sincerely,
Gregg Popovich

Give Popovich credit for taking time to recognize the sacrifice of a true hero with such eloquence.

Some might be surprised by Popovich's gesture, but not those familiar with his background. He graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1970 and served five years in the Air Force.

"My dad got a little choked up when he read me the letter over the phone," said Kenny Perez, Stephen's only sibling. "All I could say was, 'Wow, that's special.' Everybody portrays Gregg Popovich as a hard-nosed guy with no heart, but he doesn't forget what's going on in the world."

Kenny said his mother, Diana, who lives in San Antonio, is also "very grateful" to Popovich for writing the letter. His parents divorced when Stephen was an infant.

Stephen Perez was home last June when the Spurs beat the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, watching Game 7 of the hard-fought series on television with his brother and friends John Martinez, Mike Sorola and Matt Sorola.

"I'll always treasure those memories," Kenny said.

While he cheered all the Spurs, Stephen respected and admired Duncan most.

"He really liked the way Tim Duncan handled himself," Kenny said. "Tim Duncan was an inspiration to him."

Kenny sees several similarities between his brother and Duncan. He cited them in a letter he wrote Duncan two days after Stephen's funeral.

"I just wanted Tim to know how much my brother looked up to him," Kenny said. "There are three things that I think he demonstrates — dignity, respect and leadership. I saw a lot of those qualities in my brother."

Understandably, Spurs fans are in a funk after their team lost a heartbreaker to the Mavericks in the decisive game of the series Monday night. But it's important to remember that we're talking about a game here, not life or death.

Conrado Perez Jr. appreciates the perspective reflected in Popovich's letter.

"I would like to meet him someday," Perez said. "But even if I don't, God bless him and his family. He's a class act."

The coach's letter to the grieving father of a war casualty says so.

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 09:34 PM
NO!

i don't know if somebody already posted this article but Pops really is a good person and cares about San Antonio Spurs players, community, and fans...

David Flores: Pop's note pulls at heartstrings

The envelope bearing the Spurs' logo immediately caught the attention of Conrado Perez Jr. as he went through his mail Friday in Eagle Pass.

"When I saw it was addressed to me, I wondered, 'Why are the Spurs writing to me?'" Perez said Tuesday.

Perez, whose youngest son was killed in Iraq last month, hardly could believe it when he discovered the envelope contained a letter of condolence from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"The tears started coming when I read it," Perez said. "For him to take time off from the rigors of the playoffs to write to me, well, I was overwhelmed. It made me feel like I'm important instead of an insignificant human being."

Marine Lance Cpl. Stephen Joseph Perez, a 2002 St. Anthony High School graduate, was killed April 13 by shrapnel from an explosion in Al Anbar Province.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2005-2006/0524stephen_perez.jpg

Stephen Perez, photographed at home last year, wears his Spurs allegiance proudly.

He was 22.

Perez, who played football and baseball at St. Anthony, was an avid Spurs fan who usually asked about the team when he called or wrote his family. One of the first things Perez did when he came home on leave last June was change into his Tim Duncan jersey.

Popovich's letter to Perez's father was dated May 18, the day before the Spurs beat the Dallas Mavericks in Dallas to force a seventh game in the Western Conference semifinals.

The complete text of the letter follows:

Dear Mr. Perez,

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I cannot imagine how much you miss Stephen, knowing how much he must have meant to your family.

It is obvious that he was a die-hard Spurs fan, no matter what the situation. What we do here is quite insignificant compared to the job he was doing in Iraq. The daily danger and pressure he had to endure is hard to even contemplate, and he and his colleagues are the ones who should be held up as heroes.

All of us here hope time will diminish the pain you must feel.

We will do our best to make both Stephen and your family proud.

Most sincerely,
Gregg Popovich

Give Popovich credit for taking time to recognize the sacrifice of a true hero with such eloquence.

Some might be surprised by Popovich's gesture, but not those familiar with his background. He graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1970 and served five years in the Air Force.

"My dad got a little choked up when he read me the letter over the phone," said Kenny Perez, Stephen's only sibling. "All I could say was, 'Wow, that's special.' Everybody portrays Gregg Popovich as a hard-nosed guy with no heart, but he doesn't forget what's going on in the world."

Kenny said his mother, Diana, who lives in San Antonio, is also "very grateful" to Popovich for writing the letter. His parents divorced when Stephen was an infant.

Stephen Perez was home last June when the Spurs beat the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, watching Game 7 of the hard-fought series on television with his brother and friends John Martinez, Mike Sorola and Matt Sorola.

"I'll always treasure those memories," Kenny said.

While he cheered all the Spurs, Stephen respected and admired Duncan most.

"He really liked the way Tim Duncan handled himself," Kenny said. "Tim Duncan was an inspiration to him."

Kenny sees several similarities between his brother and Duncan. He cited them in a letter he wrote Duncan two days after Stephen's funeral.

"I just wanted Tim to know how much my brother looked up to him," Kenny said. "There are three things that I think he demonstrates — dignity, respect and leadership. I saw a lot of those qualities in my brother."

Understandably, Spurs fans are in a funk after their team lost a heartbreaker to the Mavericks in the decisive game of the series Monday night. But it's important to remember that we're talking about a game here, not life or death.

Conrado Perez Jr. appreciates the perspective reflected in Popovich's letter.

"I would like to meet him someday," Perez said. "But even if I don't, God bless him and his family. He's a class act."

The coach's letter to the grieving father of a war casualty says so.

Okay thi is a little over the top to prove your point.....just say HELL NAW LARRY AIN'T COMING HERE.

exstatic
05-31-2006, 09:38 PM
I really think Larry has gone over the edge. He sniffs at any job like a dog sniffs ass. I think it's a psycholgical problem that we need no part of. Besides, he's never gone back to a previous job.

Spurologist
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM

http://www.thethirteenthstep.com/stfu/goodidea2.JPG

bendmz
05-31-2006, 09:54 PM
I will never understand why people want to bring back "Out of Date Personnel". let us move on and plan for the future... stop carrying all the old baggage and invest on things to come, useless players do not contribute. for the love of God.LET THEM GO !!!!
as for Larry Brown, treat him like an old soldier and let him just FADE AWAY.

milkyway21
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Okay thi is a little over the top to prove your point.....just say HELL NAW LARRY AIN'T COMING HERE.Okay! :lol

the only Larry we want is the trophy! Stay out of San Antonio, Larry Brown! :madrun

angel_luv
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Okay! :lol

the only Larry we want is the trophy!

Cute. :)

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 10:02 PM
I will never understand why people want to bring back "Out of Date Personnel". let us move on and plan for the future... stop carrying all the old baggage and invest on things to come, useless players do not contribute. for the love of God.LET THEM GO !!!!
as for Larry Brown, treat him like an old soldier and let him just FADE AWAY.
^^^^^^
DING, DING, DING, DING!!! Best point made in the thread. Static is right too.

Let's let Suitcase Larry land someplace OUTSIDE THE NBA. Mike Montgomery is fine in GS, Sactown is either going to nab PJ or Eric Musseman. The only team left for Larry to coach that is a 'problem' is the Atlanta Hawks.

CubanMustGo
05-31-2006, 10:07 PM
According to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2464945) Mussleman has a second interview tomorrow.

BTW Ron A, I was just pulling your leg. No way LB and your namesake would get along.

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 10:18 PM
According to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2464945) Mussleman has a second interview tomorrow.
^^^^^
Kind of ruins' ur Larry to Sacto theory doesn't it?

The Maloofs want a proven coach who doesn't mind getting his fingers dirty but they also want a coach that can kind of relate to the players. Larry Brown is almost approaching senility as far as handling pro players.

Not saying he's a good coach but he's had a serious melt down in two years now. Not good when an employer wants you removed after a year of work but had claimed you were the savior of MSG.

milkyway21
05-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Cute. :):lol