PDA

View Full Version : Kemp may play in Europe randolph, who is seeking a deal worth

ducks
10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Blazers ready to shift focus
Players say they're on the same page as Maurice Cheeks as the exhibition season opens tonight
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
GEOFFREY C. ARNOLD

TUALATIN -- The Trail Blazers are eager to change the focus from the court of law to the basketball court tonight.
Advertisement

Against the backdrop of a house search, police interviews and the suspension of forward Qyntel Woods, the Blazers begin their exhibition schedule against Seattle at the Rose Garden.

The latest distractions and disappointments are nothing new.

"We've been here so many other times that I think that I have -- and the other players that are here now and have been here in the past -- learned how to put things in the right perspective," coach Maurice Cheeks said. "As I've said before, you just deal with the basketball issues and let other things take care of themselves."

The Blazers posted a 24-17 record after the midpoint of last season, fueling a sense of optimism that, after all the trades, turmoil and turbulence, the team finally was coming together.

"We had a good run at the end of the season," forward Zach Randolph said. "Everybody is on a mission and we're all on the same page."

Cheeks told the team from the opening of training camp that he wants it to play hard, fundamental basketball consistently, hoping the attitude will carry over into the regular season.

"Our biggest goal is to come out and set the right tone," forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim said. "We can't take any of these games lightly. How we play in the preseason and how we build from the preseason is what we want to take into the regular season."

Tonight's game will give Cheeks his first opportunity to evaluate players at certain positions in a game situation. Most eyes will be on the competition between Abdur-Rahim and Darius Miles at small forward. Abdur-Rahim emerged from training camp as the front-runner for the starting spot, and he wants to use the exhibitions to solidify his standing.

"It's important because it's different looks, different moves and different plays that I'm in," Abdur-Rahim said. "I'm getting more and more comfortable with the guys I'm playing with and the looks they want to give me."

Miles said he's not concerned about whether he starts or comes off the bench.

"I haven't tripped over the Shareef thing," Miles said. "I'm just trying to get my game going. If I start it's all right. If I don't, oh well."

Then there's Ruben Patterson, who proclaimed at the start of camp that he deserves consideration for minutes and backed up the claim by playing effectively during training camp.

Cheeks wants to take a long look at his guard rotation, with Damon Stoudamire, Derek Anderson and Nick Van Exel. Van Exel, still nursing an injured left knee, limited his workouts during training camp. Cheeks has said that the majority of the playing time will be divided among Stoudamire, Anderson and Van Exel, but the coach indicated he will take an extended look at the sharpshooting Richie Frahm.

Notes:

The Blazers cut rookie center James Lang. . . . Former Blazers forward Shawn Kemp is in Seattle and is exploring opportunities to play in Europe, according to his agent, Tony Dutt. . . . Randolph, who is seeking a deal worth $86 million over six years, said he has been offered $69 million over six years. If his contract is not extended by Oct. 31, he will become a free agent after the season.
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/10976690258100.xml
Jason Quick of The Oregonian staff contributed to this report. Geoffrey C. Arnold: 503-221-8556; [email protected]