PDA

View Full Version : Nash out as Blazers GM

ducks
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Nash out as Blazers GM
By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- With the NBA draft looming and uncertainty surrounding the franchise's ownership, the Portland Trail Blazers decided not to extend general manager John Nash's contract.

President Steve Patterson will serve as interim general manager. Kevin Pritchard, director of player personnel, had his contract extended for next season, Patterson said Wednesday in a brief news conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
Pritchard, who will handle the June 28 draft, is a candidate for general manager.

The Blazers get the fourth pick in the draft following an NBA-season worst 21-61 record.

"Although we shared some successes as an organization, I wish we could have made more rapid progress on the court," Nash said in a statement.

The team announced the Nash decision late Tuesday. His contract was to expire June 30.

Patterson said that despite the impending draft and owner Paul Allen's announcement that he could sell the team, there was no sense in "delaying artificially" a decision on Nash.

Patterson refused to label Nash as the scapegoat for the team's performance. The Blazers lost 19 of their last 20 games.

"I think we all accept responsibility for a ballclub that won only 21 games last year," he said.

Patterson set no timeline for naming Nash's successor and said he didn't expect it before the draft.

Nash, a former GM with New Jersey, Philadelphia and Washington, joined the Trail Blazers three years ago.

The Trail Blazers finished 41-41 in Nash's first season, snapping a streak of 21 consecutive playoff appearances. In 2004-05, the Trail Blazers had their first losing season since 1988-89. The fall to the bottom of the NBA was completed this season.

Nash initially was credited with getting rid of the players seen as troublesome for the Blazers, including Rasheed Wallace and Bonzi Wells.

But he was criticized for using high draft picks on high school players Sebastian Telfair and Martell Webster and for signing forwards Darius Miles and Zach Randolph to expensive, long-term contracts.

Adding to the team's woes was Allen's assertion in February that the team was a financial disaster in need of public assistance. The Microsoft co-founder had given up ownership of the Rose Garden arena in 2004, meaning the team no longer generated revenue from sources such as luxury suites.

Patterson said he did not think the ownership situation would deter GM candidates.

"I think ultimately it's an attractive market, it's a great town, and I think we're going to have success here," Patterson said.

Kori Ellis
05-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Hopefully they don't come after Presti.

nbascribe
05-31-2006, 09:17 PM
I think Presti is on their hot list.....

The boy genius is the NBA's Theo Epstien....young, talented and down right gifted at assessing talent.

ducks
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
no talking to spurs front office about this whole!

Bob Lanier
06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
:lmao

Spurologist
06-02-2006, 04:37 PM
no talking to spurs front office about this whole!

:lol is that on purpose