PDA

View Full Version : Huh? Protesters to Call for Resignation of National Hurricane Center, NOAA Chiefs

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-31-2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm

SILVER SPRING, MD – Hundreds of concerned citizens and leaders from across the nation will join Hurricane Katrina survivors Wednesday to call for the resignation of the heads of the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) at the NOAA Headquarters just outside of Washington, D.C.During an 11 a.m. demonstration, advocates will demand that NOAA stop covering up the growing scientific link between severe hurricanes and global warming while insisting on real solutions to the problem of global warming.

The protest comes at the start of the 2006 Hurricane season, which officials at the NHC predict will be “a hectic, above-normal tropical storm season.” Speeches begin at 11 a.m. EDT and protestors will carry dramatic props and photographs of Hurricane Katrina. A 37-hour demonstration will follow, lasting until midnight on June 1st, with picketing during the day and a candlelight vigil by night.

After a record four major hurricanes hit Florida in 2004, the 2005 hurricane season was even more devastating. Of the six most powerful hurricanes ever to hit America in the past 150 years, three occurred within 52 days in 2005. Yet, despite a flurry of peer-reviewed scientific studies linking planetary warming to storms like Katrina, leaders at NOAA and the NHC continue to claim that the recent hurricane devastation is part of a "natural cycle."

WHEN: 11 A.M. EDT, Wednesday, May 31st thru midnight on Thursday, June 1st

WHO: The U.S. Climate Emergency Council, Katrina survivors and concerned citizens from across the nation

WHAT: Press conference and speeches at 11 a.m. followed by a 37-hour protest and vigil to condemn government the cover up of science linking hurricanes and global warming

WHERE: NOAA Headquarters, 1325 East/West Highway, Silver Spring, MD

For more information or to arrange an interview please contact Mike Tidwell at 240-460-5838 or Anne Havemann at 202-997-2466.

WTF? The National Hurricane Center director? He told all you dumbasses to get out of New Orleans. Now you want him to quit because you were too stupid to get out?

I'm tempted to call Mike and Anne and ask them WTF their problem is.

Guru of Nothing
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Sounds like sweeps week, for theonion.

xrayzebra
06-01-2006, 09:36 AM
And then you have this little article about the North Pole and
Miami. What do they have in common. Read on.

www.suntimes.com

North Pole once felt like Miami

June 1, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Scientists have found something about the North Pole that could send a shiver down Santa's spine: It used to be downright balmy.

In fact, 55 million years ago the Arctic was once a lot like Miami, with an average temperature of 74 degrees, alligator ancestors and palm trees, scientists say.

That conclusion, based on core samples extracted from more than 1,000 feet below the Arctic Ocean floor, is contained in three studies published in today's issue of the journal Nature.

Scientists say the findings are both a glimpse backward at a region heated by naturally produced greenhouse gases run amok and a sneak peek at what manmade global warming could do someday.

Scientists say a simple fern may have been responsible for cooling things back down by sucking up massive amounts of the carbon dioxide responsible for the warming. But this natural solution to global warming took about a million years.

AP

Copyright © The Sun-Times Company
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

============================================

Of course the litle article still wont let mankind off the hook.
Global warming is still all our fault, now. Wonder where I can
buy some of those ferns?

fyatuk
06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Of course the litle article still wont let mankind off the hook.
Global warming is still all our fault, now. Wonder where I can
buy some of those ferns?

Its amazing how much people think global warming is an unnatural phenomena when there's plenty of evidence of cycles of much worse temperatures and that we are actually colder than we should be.

And any fern will do. IIRC all ferns are the most prolific at processing CO2 into O2.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I particularly liked the article this week saying poison ivy was worse now than 10 years ago because of global warming :rolleyes

Right, a little plant evolved in the short span of ten years, a blip geologically speaking, because temperatures went up 1 degree over that time span. Dumbasses.

exstatic
06-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I particularly liked the article this week saying poison ivy was worse now than 10 years ago because of global warming :rolleyes

Right, a little plant evolved in the short span of ten years, a blip geologically speaking, because temperatures went up 1 degree over that time span. Dumbasses.
While I think the protest is stupid, there could be a nugget of truth in the poisin ivy thing.
A friend and I were at Jim's eating breakfast tacos a number of years back, and the hot sauce about burned his tongue out of his mouth. He talked to the manager to find out if they had changed the recipe, and was told that they didn't. What happened was that during hot, dry years, peppers are hotter because they have less water and more capsaicin oil. Since the "venom" mechanism of P.I. is also oil based...

MannyIsGod
06-01-2006, 10:33 PM
:lmao

Fucking idiots. There are ZERO peer reviewed papers out there linking Katrina to global warming.

Count them, ZERO.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 02:37 AM
That may be, but there are countless studies out there linking increased man-made CO2 levels to global warming. The earth is such a sophisticated machine, that we don't know exactly how it all works as a cohesive unit. We can theorize that global warming leads to higher average water temperature, and affects the earth's ability to produce sheer winds that typically shred hurricanes, but it would take years to collect enough data to say for sure whether there is really any cause and effect. However, as we learned in the existance of global warming debate, by the time we have enough data to establish that something really exsist, it may already be to late to do anything about it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Dear Lord...

xrayzebra
06-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Dear Lord...

And what in the world has this post got to do with the thread? If you
are the reporter "Rios" maybe you should ask your editor that question and
get some more pointers on sticking to the issues.
:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-03-2006, 08:35 PM
And what in the world has this post got to do with the thread? If you
are the reporter "Rios" maybe you should ask your editor that question and
get some more pointers on sticking to the issues.
:lol

What the fuck?

It's a shitty reason to call for those heads to resign.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Q. At least one weather forecasting service has suggested the East Coast of the United States will face the brunt of this year's hurricane season. Do you agree or disagree with that prediction? If not, which part of the United States, in your estimation, should keep a closer eye on the tropics?

A. The jet stream pattern controls where hurricanes recurve. Our ability to forecast the jet stream pattern is limited; the best we can do is about a one week forecast. At times, we can get a general idea out to two weeks. Thus, it is difficult to make a skilled forecast at this time about which parts of the U.S. are likely to face the brunt of this year's hurricane season. Dr. Gray and some other researchers have shown that one can use statistical methods to make a slightly skillful prediction several months in advance about what parts of the U.S. might get hit most. Dr. Gray is predicting that the U.S. East Coast is more likely to get hit by a major hurricane then the Gulf Coast this year, but forecasts of this nature are only a little better than chance. Note that between 1000 and 3400 years ago, sediment records along the Gulf Coast show that Category 4/5 hurricane landfalls were about three to five times more common that we've seen during the past 1000 years. It's possible, but unlikely, that the intense hurricanes we've seen in the Gulf the past few years mark a return to this hyperactive pattern. It is not yet known if the Eastern U.S. coast also experienced this same hyperactive pattern 1000 to 3400 years ago; the researchers haven't done a full study of the sediment records there yet. I speculate that the East Coast saw a drop in intense hurricane during the same 1000 to 3400 year period, since a shift in the Bermuda High position steered most of the hurricanes into the Gulf of Mexico, and relatively few into the East Coast.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

Most of the posters in here are smart enough to derive the reason for me posting this.

Nbadan
06-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Jeff Masters is certain that 2005 was a once-in-a-lifetime hurricane season, an anomaly that will not be repeated. So just keep buying that shorefront property, nothing to see here.

Masters says of 2005: it so greatly exceeds our meteorological understanding of what is possible, that I believe that was a once-in-500-years kind of season.

:rolleyes

xrayzebra
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
dan has made another predicition. And you know he is always right. Yeah, sure!

MannyIsGod
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Jeff Masters is certain that 2005 was a once-in-a-lifetime hurricane season, an anomaly that will not be repeated. So just keep buying that shorefront property, nothing to see here.

:rolleyesAnd the observatinos prove to be right. The conditions this year are no where near what they were last year. The SST maps don't corrolate at all. The winds are different. For one, there is an intense amount of wind shear over the Gulf of Mexico right now, which even though the Gulf is hotter than last year is the reason we're not going to see any development there for some time.

And its not just Masters, it is virtually every major meteorlogical organization out there from Dr Gray to the Cubans. I'm sure it is just some sort of coverup though. To be fair, last year they were all wrong in the amount of storms by a long shot so they could be wrong this year. But the fact is that the elements that led to last years season are not in place this year with the biggest being the SSTs and wind shear patterns.

Yes Yes, I understand that you think you know more about hurricanes than the people who have forcasted them all their lives for a living, but I think we'll see another season like last year right around the time the country gets around to impliment that draft you've been telling us about for years.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh, and I don't think theres any hurricane expert who advocates more people moving to the coasts. Even in a normal year, the amount of hurricane damange is going to be large simply due to the amount of people living near the coast. But that won't fit into your "The world is ending tomorrow" doomsday rants.

xrayzebra
06-05-2006, 02:13 PM
^^Manny, lived around South Padre some years ago. They told people then and
keep telling them, build here and you going to lose it all someday.

Hell, the barrier islands are only 4-6 feet above sea level and a good tropical storm,
much less a hurricane can cause a cut in the island.

My take. You want a house there, build the thing, but when you lose it, you
take the loss. Don't depend on anyone else to pickup the tab.

dan will always blame mankind of everything. Even though we are the most
puny things on this earth.

Nbadan
06-06-2006, 01:17 PM
"There is no debate among credible sceintists about whether global warming exists. Science magazine analyzed 928 peer-reviewed scientific papers on global warming published between 1993 and 2003. Not a single one challenged the scientific consensus the earth’s temperature is rising due to human activity."

Think Progress (http://thinkprogress.org/?tag=Global%20Warming)

As with the bogus 'Intelligent Design vs Evolution Debate', you can cite sources to back up your position, you just can't cite credible peer reviewed sources from the scientific community, as your position is irrational. What you can cite are the missives of disinformation from the paid skeptics working for exxonmobile and friends.

MannyIsGod
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
You want to do this again Dan? Fine, find me papers linking the last hurricane season with global warming. Lets do it. No one said shit about whether or not global warming exsists. Can you keep up or do we need to slow it down for you?

MannyIsGod
06-06-2006, 02:06 PM
You know what, lets keep it simple for you Dan.

Explain to me why SST in the Atlantic are cooler this year?

xrayzebra
06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Manny, be kind. You know he has trouble keeping up. He stays so busy making
predictions.

MannyIsGod
06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Dan?

Nbadan
06-07-2006, 05:42 AM
As we found out last year, SSTs can change dramatically in a two week period.

During the winter months of 2005/2006 we saw average air temperatures due to the weak La Nina conditions develop. This led to average SST's in the North Central, Northwestern, Northeastern Gulf of Mexico. Mostly, this occurred near the Central Gulf Coast and extended south to about 24N and from 85N - 95N respectively, known as the Gulf Loop.In time, we will continue to see the SST's increase on an average or slightly above average by June and July 2006, and continue to create areas of above average SST's in areas of the GOM through the rest of the season. This we saw last season, it can change dramatically over a period of a couple of weeks. I forecast average SST's in the Gulf of Mexico, with larger areas of above average SST's in the GOM.

Hurricane Hollow (http://www.hurricanehollow.org/index.php?pid=17)

xrayzebra
06-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Manny, look at the link below. You may have already heard of the new
technology, cloudsat.

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/060606_cloudsat_images.html

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey Dan, I understand after reading so much politics you don't remember how to answer a direct question, but try again.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 02:02 PM
BTW, and the only places they change that quickly are current fed locations, IE the loop current. Or after a large storm passes the area cools and warms drasticaly because fo the energy taken from the region.

Just how global warming scienteists love to use a global mean tempature, we can use a mean tempature for the Atlantic and in that we do not see any changes that quickly.

I'm still waiting on peer reviewed studies that show last hurricane seasons link to climate change.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 02:17 PM
As with a lot of things the truth sometimes lay in the middle.

Pollution is something we need to deal with. But just our thermal output from electicity is something... how could we ever change that? it's only going to get bigger.

Anyway.... The earth changes.. we know shit like California will fall into the ocean but we still build there.. Or that New Orleans is a bowl but we rebuild...

But it's great when people can just blame "Bush" for everything.. Bush did it.. built New Orleans himself and built the levy's and kept them from putting water and food in the dome.. yep.. He also caused the Tsunami, all volcanic eruptions and went back in time to invent electricity. Bush even gave Nobel the formula to make bombs so that IED's could later be invented with Nobels.. i mean Bush.