PDA

View Full Version : WTF My Garage Door Just Opened !!

Chief
06-01-2006, 03:46 AM
ok it's like 3 a.m., I'm online in my room on my bed . I heard the garage door opening. I'm like , it's 3 a.m. , all people who drive cars are home already, trash has already been put out (we keep our trash cans in the garage) so I yell to my brother who's in the next room if he knows who opened it, he's then asks my mom and my brother who are downstairs, and they're like "ummm no we haven't opened it". so me and my next oldest brother go outside w/ a few weapons of course to see what's going on. no one there

We check the front yard along with the sides, the backyard, the laundry room (next room after garage), no one there

something opened my Garage Door !

what the hell's going on ?

Shaolin-Style
06-01-2006, 04:01 AM
May have been a malfunction, otherwise pack some heat

Please_dont_ban_me
06-01-2006, 04:18 AM
That's some funky shit.

I would shit my pants if that happened to me.

ShoogarBear
06-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Sounds like that commercial

Marklar MM
06-01-2006, 07:44 AM
The question is...what is your entire family doing up at 3 in the morning?

Buddy Holly
06-01-2006, 07:46 AM

:lol :lol

DannyT
06-01-2006, 08:07 AM
watch out for the terrorist son....THE TERRORIST!!!!!

batman2883
06-01-2006, 08:09 AM
i wonder what this switch does?

pache100
06-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Sounds like that commercial

Exactly.

i wonder what this switch does?

On...off...on...off...are you looking? :lol

I'd be willing to bet that someone near you, or someone driving down your street, has their door set on the same frequency and opened it inadvertently with a remote.

I used to stay with some kids in Miller's Point when their parents were out of town. Their garage door opener was set to the same frequency as the house three doors up the street. You had to wait until after you had passed that house before you could punch the button to open the garage door, otherwise, you opened these people's door, too. It was the craziest thing. Luckily, their remote range didn't cover this house that I was staying at because most people punch the button BEFORE they get to their house. I stayed at that house two times before they ever got that dang thing fixed and on a different frequency.

DannyT
06-01-2006, 08:43 AM
i just load COMSEC into my remote and garage reciever...that way i can use whatever freq i want!!!!!

TheRage
06-01-2006, 08:54 AM
IT's a Ghost man. Your house is haunted and the donkey lady is coming for your asses!

pache100
06-01-2006, 08:55 AM
i just load COMSEC into my remote and garage reciever...that way i can use whatever freq i want!!!!!

I know you can do that now; this was a long time ago (mid-80s). It was a pain in the butt to reprogram your remote back then.

boutons_
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Sitting in my garage or in the driveway, on a cold night, no wind, my car alarm goes off, blasting the horn. An alarm circuit probably activated by metal contracting in the cold and opening of switch contacts, somwhere.

I also had a badly lubricated garage door that would open by itself. In the closed position, eg, like when I was gone, it would open by itself. The closer had a safety pressure switch such that when the closing force was too great (like closing down a kid or animal or a car), it would stop and reverse to open.

What was the source of the excessive force? The hinges between the sections of the ancient door were totally dry. The tipoff was that eventually when closing the door, it would stop and reverse before closing all the way, so I'd have to click it closed 2 o 3 times to get it all the way down. WD40 in all the hinges, garage only opens when commanded, and closes reliably first time.

ShoogarBear
06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I've seen car door openers open other people's cars.

And I had a rental car once, couldn't remember exactly where I parked or the license plate, and ended up getting in another car of the same model and color because the key worked in the door.

themvp
06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

sa_butta
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM

And I had a rental car once, couldn't remember exactly where I parked or the license plate, and ended up getting in another car of the same model and color because the key worked in the door.So if your car is lost or stolen just find another one that looks just like it.

pache100
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
So if your car is lost or stolen just find another one that looks just like it.

That reminds me of a commercial, too...the people come out and can't get in their car so they try to break a window out...another dude walks up and says "What are you doing to my car?" and they look up to see theirs (just like his) sitting one row away. The look on that guy's face when he sees these people banging on his car window is priceless.

Old School Chic
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM

And I had a rental car once, couldn't remember exactly where I parked or the license plate, and ended up getting in another car of the same model and color because the key worked in the door.

Sureeeeeeeeee :lol

pache100
06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
When I first moved to McQueeney, I was coming out of a little store up there and saw a guy with long blond hair getting into my Nissan Pulsar, which was sitting right in front of the door. My first thought was, "Oh shit! I'm getting carjacked!" Just as I started back into the store to use the phone, the guy realized he was in the wrong car...his identical blue Nissan Pulsar was sitting about two spaces away from mine :lol . But, the look on his face was the funniest...I take my cat with me to my Mom's every day (Grandma's daycare) and he was sitting in his carrier on the other front seat. He weighed 22 lbs at that time, and he was looking up at this guy through the holes in his box. I thought that guy was gonna crap his pants when he turned to set his bag down in the seat and saw Dudley! http://i3.tinypic.com/11bnklf.gif

He jumped out of that car as fast as he could and said, "I'm sorry ma'am, I'm so sorry...I thought this was my car." I still laugh about that. :lol

SpursWoman
06-01-2006, 01:25 PM

:tu :lol

ShoogarBear
06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Sureeeeeeeeee :lol

No, that actually happened. I was told they only make a finite number of different keys for a particular model. So if you go around and try your key in every other car with a similar model to yours, eventually you will find one that works.

At least, that's what I told the officer.

xrayzebra
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Okay, another reason it could open. Do you have a home security
system. If so, on the remotes that they give you with the system
many have a button that will open the garage door. Sometimes......
.........it get depressed while in your pants pocket and what happens
the door opens......happened to me. Freaked me out, until I figured
out what was going.

Chief
06-02-2006, 02:09 AM
I did some research and there's like 30 different reasons as to why it could've opened.
Main ones include nearby radio tower, planes, signals, frequency's, similiar door openers , etc.....

so yeah, no donkey lady :lol.....yet

oh, and they were up cuz they're going on vacation soon so doing last minute packing etc......

Shaolin-Style
06-02-2006, 02:53 AM
yeah electronic garage doors sometimes have malfunctions due to a number of reasons.

if it was a manual one though then you gotta go outside and yell "where are you mfer!?"

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 02:59 AM
PUSSY!

Getting my ass beat, I can handle. Beating someones ass, I can handle. But something about the supernatural ... unexplainable ... just irks me. So yes, I'm a pussy. =(

Solid D
06-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Someone in the house may be lying. Were there any lights on that aren't usually on at 3 AM?