PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Al Harrington

SPARKY
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/hawks/harrington_140_050630.jpghttp://www.nba.com/hawks/images/hawks_logo.gif

Al Harrington | 3
Position: F
Born: Feb 17, 1980
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 245 lbs. / 111,1 kg.
High School : St. Patrick's HS (NJ)

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/al_harrington/index.html?nav=page)

Would seem to fit the profile of the versatile forward who can play either the 3 or 4. Solid offensive game. Only 26 years old. Price tag will probably be at least $50 mil over 6 years or so.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 09:22 AM
The price tag you included in the end says it all.

WalterBenitez
06-01-2006, 09:28 AM
The price tag you included in the end says it all.

You mean Spurs will be over the cap for a while?

CosmicCowboy
06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
You mean Spurs will be over the cap for a while?

Spurs will be over the cap till Duncan retires.

George Gervin's Afro
06-01-2006, 09:35 AM
He would be a perfect fit..if it weren't for his salary requirements..

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 09:38 AM
He would be the ideal player to add to the roster, but its highly unlikely the Spurs will acquire him because of how much it will cost to get him.

Texas_Ranger
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
He would be a perfect fit..if it weren't for his salary requirements..

agree

Vinnie_Johnson
06-01-2006, 12:02 PM
How much cap space do the spurs have?

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
How much cap space do the spurs have?
The midlevel and the LLE.

The only way Harrington happens is if we have something Atlanta wants for a sign and trade or if we can somehow round up a massive trade exception in another trade.

Wildly unlikely.

Bruno
06-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I want Al Harrington and I think it's not a pipe dream.
Start him at PF : Parker/Manu/Bruce/Harrington/Duncan => my starting lineup for 2007.

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I want Al Harrington and I think it's not a pipe dream.
Start him at PF : Parker/Manu/Bruce/Harrington/Duncan => my starting lineup for 2007.
Man would I love for you to be right. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
The very obvious problem with Harrington is there's a good 6-8 teams looking for power forwards with more cap room than us.

SenorSpur
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
He's a good player and would fill a void, but not at that price. Spurs should consider if he would take less to come play for this organization.

Mavschick
06-01-2006, 02:00 PM
He's not Maurice Taylor-bad but he's not exactly the greatest rebounder either. I guess that can be partly be explained by the fact he played a ton of SF in ATL and IND. It'd be nice to have a PF like Harrington who has 3-point shooting range and can therefore play on the perimeter and draw the opposing PF away from the net. You'd also have 4 guys on the floor with 3-point range a la the Mavs and Suns.

SPARKY
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Sign & Trade.

Spurologist
06-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Holt should be counting the cash right now.

T Park
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
sign and trade for Mohammed?

have them both match up on money?

They need a big in the worst way.

Mr. Body
06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
The things people say on these boards... Al Harrington will not be a Spur. He's too expensive vs. our cap. And Atlanta will get far better offers than Mohammed or any other package the Spurs can put together.

Next.

RON ARTEST
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
some of you are so fucking stupid! you have no chance of getting him. stop posting these fantasies that have no chance of happening.

SPARKY
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
eh, you are fucking stupid.

SPARKY
06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
The things people say on these boards... Al Harrington will not be a Spur. He's too expensive vs. our cap. And Atlanta will get far better offers than Mohammed or any other package the Spurs can put together.

Next.

The people that try to patrol the internets....

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:13 PM

Next

no one wanted your opinion.

Next.

some of you are so fucking stupid! you have no chance of getting him. stop posting these fantasies that have no chance of happening

Your not wanted here, be fucking gone.

exstatic
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
sign and trade for Mohammed?

have them both match up on money?

They need a big in the worst way.
He's already had a stay in ATL.

They traded him.

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 10:17 PM

They traded him.
In fairness, he was an obscure backup when they traded him away, so it's not impossible that they might want him back now.

Plus, wasn't that like 3 GMs ago? :lol

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:21 PM

They traded him.

Different coach

different GM

wake up.

exstatic
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
In fairness, he was an obscure backup when they traded him away, so it's not impossible that they might want him back now.

Plus, wasn't that like 3 GMs ago? :lol
In his first partial season, he started 19/28 games
His next season he started 73/82
The next season: 0/35
The following partial season: 1/53 before the trade.

Do you see a pattern? He BECAME a backup after owning the starting job.

exstatic
06-01-2006, 10:26 PM
TPark, you know most of the time, I'm patient with your shit, but pull your head out of your fucking ass. If we got rid of Rasho by some miracle, do you think ANY subsequent mgt. team would entertain getting him back? ATL is NOT going to want Mohammed. Period. He sucks. They know it.

T Park
Your still missing on that there is different management.

They NEED a big, and Mohammed is prob the best they are gonna get.

strangeweather
In his first partial season, he started 19/28 games
His next season he started 73/82
The next season: 0/35
The following partial season: 1/53 before the trade.

Do you see a pattern? He BECAME a backup after owning the starting job.
My apologies.

Still, they have a new regime and a very different team. And IIRC, when they traded him they had a then-healthy Theo Ratliff starting for them, didn't they?

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:27 PM
If we got rid of Rasho by some miracle, do you think ANY subsequent mgt. team would entertain getting him back? ATL is NOT going to want Mohammed. Period. He sucks. They know it.

Well after your done with your childish hate against the guy let us know.

Till then, your blinded by it.

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Still, they have a new regime and a very different team. And IIRC, when they traded him they had a then-healthy Theo Ratliff starting for them, didn't they?

errr but, err, uh, he uh HE SUCKS

OUT!!

exstatic
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Your still missing on that there is different management.

They NEED a big, and Mohammed is prob the best they are gonna get.

?? Former NBA All Star Magliore is available via trade from MIL. Admittedly, the bad taste of Mohammed may have soured them on UK alumni, but I'll admit that may be a stretch. :lol

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Puhlease.

Harrington wont wnat what hes making.

Mohammed will command the same contract Harrington will.

EASY S&T.

COME ON.

exstatic
06-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Puhlease.

Harrington wont wnat what hes making.

Mohammed will command the same contract Harrington will.

EASY S&T.

COME ON.
Uh, OK. Call me at the beginning of next season and we'll compare notes on their respective contracts. My guess is that Mohammed gets somewhere between half and all of the MCE. Harrington will probably get MCE*1.5, or 7.5M to start with.

Magliore made $8.5 this year, so you're making my point by saying "Harrington won't want that". Harrington will get WAY more than Mohammed.

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:36 PM
They will both get 7

if you think a center like Mohammed will get only 2.5 to 5 your nuts.

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Uh, OK. Call me at the beginning of next season and we'll compare notes on their respective contracts. My guess is that Mohammed gets somewhere between half and all of the MCE. Harrington will probably get MCE*1.5, or 7.5M to start with.
Harrington should make a lot more, but you never know with centers. Two words: Jerome James.

exstatic
06-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Harrington should make a lot more, but you never know with centers. Two words: Jerome James.

Two more words: Isaiah Thomas. :lol:rollin

THE SIXTH MAN
06-01-2006, 11:31 PM
The very obvious problem with Harrington is there's a good 6-8 teams looking for power forwards with more cap room than us.
What teams would they be?

Nbadan
06-02-2006, 12:42 AM
What teams would they be?

charlotte
resigning with atlanta
Chicago
New Orleans
Seattle
Denver
Toranto....just to name a few...

RON ARTEST
06-02-2006, 12:49 AM
eh, you are fucking stupid.
not as stupid as most of you. nazr for harrington? :lmao

RON ARTEST
06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Your not wanted here, be fucking gone.
why because i just hit you with a dose of reality? nazr for harrington would never EVER happen you delusional piece of trash.

Spurologist
06-02-2006, 01:02 AM
If Harrington ever wants to get a ring, he has to do it now with the spurs or other contending teams. He will soon pass his prime. There money will be there after the ring.

Mavschick
06-02-2006, 08:45 AM
If Harrington ever wants to get a ring, he has to do it now with the spurs or other contending teams. He will soon pass his prime. There money will be there after the ring.

How is being 26 years old on the verge of being past your prime? Harrington at 26 has at least two contracts left before he calls it a career. Anyway, if he was smart, his next contract would see him toiling at PF/SF for an elite team like the Spurs. He has an ego though and likes being the big fish in a small pond. I wonder how he'd take to being the #3 or #4 scoring option in SA after having grown accustomed to being the 1st or 2nd in ATL and IND.

timvp
06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't get the love affiar with this guy. Sure he's pretty decent but I just don't like how his game would mix with the Spurs. He's not a very good defender. He's not that good a rebounder. He can't pass, block shots or shoot very well. Yeah, he's a good scorer but the Spurs have the scorers. The offense was fine in the playoffs.

Plus, I don't want to give $50M to a guy who has torn his ACL. That's just asking for trouble.

Mavschick
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Harrington isn't a good shooter? He put up a .452 shooting percentage and a .346 3-point percentage this past season so that kind of contradicts that thought. Plus, his career rebound numbers might not look that great, but that can be explained by the fact he started a ton of games at SF over his career. And don't you think his offensive production would go up with teams ignoring him to focus on doubling Duncan and to a lesser extent Parker and Ginobili subsequently leaving him more space on the floor to do his thing? He was THE man in ATL and teams therefore constantly doubled/ran help D at him. In SA, he'd face isolation D all the time and with his ball-handling skills, an ability to create his own shot, and a quick release on his shot, I think he'd put up some impressive numbers.

genghisrex
06-02-2006, 09:40 AM
And don't you think his offensive production would go up with teams ignoring him to focus on doubling Duncan and to a lesser extent Parker and Ginobili subsequently leaving him more space on the floor to do his thing?
No. Harrington wouldn't get nearly the number of touches that he gets in Atlanta. His efficiency might go up, but he wouldn't be a 19 ppg scorer here.

strangeweather
06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't get the love affiar with this guy. Sure he's pretty decent but I just don't like how his game would mix with the Spurs. He's not a very good defender. He's not that good a rebounder. He can't pass, block shots or shoot very well. Yeah, he's a good scorer but the Spurs have the scorers. The offense was fine in the playoffs.

Plus, I don't want to give $50M to a guy who has torn his ACL. That's just asking for trouble.
He'll never be a stopper, but he would be a much defender here than he was in Atlanta -- look at Finley.

His rebounding isn't all that great, but better than Rasho's, and miles ahead of the small ball lineup we fielded against Dallas.

Going by his 82games stats, his passing is a little below Brent's, but better than Finley's or Horry's, which is pretty sound for someone who will get a lot of minutes at PF.

The thing that would make him a game changer for the Spurs is that he has a legit game both inside and outside. He can score inside if we need him to, but he also has legit a 3-point shot as well as a midrange jump shot. That means that Tim will see a lot fewer double teams than he sees with Nazr or Rasho on the floor -- a problem that someone like Evans won't address.

The other thing that makes him an improvement over a lot of players we could get is that he's good enough that he's legit at the 3 or the 4, and he can defend either one. I like Jumaine Jones, but he's not really a 4, and Reggie Evans isn't a 3. Harrington can give us good minutes regardless of whether we play a center next to Duncan or not.

Bruno
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't get the love affiar with this guy.
I don't get the love affair with Evans. :spin

Sure he's pretty decent but I just don't like how his game would mix with the Spurs. He's not a very good defender.
He is a decent defender at PF but he is too slow to defend SF. I want him as starting PF with Spurs.

He's not that good a rebounder.

With Duncan at center and Parker/Manu/Bruce at PG/SG/SF, he will average at least 10 rbds/48 min.

He can't pass, block shots or shoot very well.

It's difficult to play team basketball with Hawks (cough...Diaw..cough).
He isn't a shotblocker but that's not big factor for me.
He shoots 35% from 3pt for the first season where he takes a lot of 3 pointers.

Yeah, he's a good scorer but the Spurs have the scorers. The offense was fine in the playoffs.

I disagree with that. I don't think that Parker/Manu/Duncan and 2 players who score less than 10 ppg is a good thing.
How many times have you see Spurs using a matchup mismatch to win a game ? Maybe one time (Nazr against Phoenix) ?
The truth is that it's easy to defend against Spurs because :
- As much as I like Bruce, 99% of the PG/SG/SF/PF can defend on him.
- 90% of the PF/C can defend the bigman who plays with Tim.
Even a team with 2 defensive liability can do a good job against Spurs.
Adding a good offensive PF will improve the defense because the opposite team will play less his defensive minded players.
It's time to put the other team in matchup trouble.
The offense agaisnt dallas was quite good but our big three won't be able to score 73ppg in every serie.

I can understand that. Maybe it's time to jump on the Scola bandwagon. :)

Melmart1
06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
bump

ducks
06-30-2006, 09:43 AM
The Mavs have every intention of re-signing Terry, while the Lakers have discussed bringing in Cassell. The Pacers want to re-sign Stojakovic, while the Hawks are hoping to pull off a sign-and-trade to move Harrington.

Several teams, including Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, the Clippers, Charlotte and New Orleans/Oklahoma City, will have money to spend as they will be under the projected $51million salary cap for next season. Although teams can reach verbal agreements with players starting tonight after midnight, the actual signings can't happen until July 12.

Mitch Lawrence
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...9p-363496c.html

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Harrington could start at the 3 or the 4 his versatility would be great for us, not a great rebounder for a 4 though. Complete Pipe dream however.

coopdogg3
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, yeah, it is a pipe dream, but what else is there to talk about?

S&T is possible if Atlanta doesn't want to resign him. Magloire would be a much better player at Center for them, but Nazr & Scola for Harrington would be a fair trade. Spurs dump 2 bigs that probably won't be able to play for them, Atlanta gets something back for the investment in Harrington. And all of a sudden Atlanta has some size to play with. Has about a .5% of happening, but what the heck. Hope springs eternal the day before free agency.

MI21
06-30-2006, 04:40 PM
I used to really like Al Harringtons' game but I have kind of faded on it over the last few years. Althought that 24 point quarter (i think, either 24 or 26) against the Spurs this past season was pretty amazing. Not often you see that sort of thing.

Anyway, he's your big 3 type, but he isn't that fast and doesnt shoot particuly well. He has developed a 3pt shot the last 2 years, but it isn't exactly great. He isn't a great defender and isn't a great rebounder either.

I think his role in Indiana suited him best. 28-30MPG player off of the bench where he can be the focal point of the offense for stretches too. I would like him on the Spurs, but he isn't the prototype big 3 that the Spurs would be coveting in my opinion and would be best suited to a bench role. He'll demand to much $$$ anyway.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 04:46 PM
I used to really like Al Harringtons' game but I have kind of faded on it over the last few years. Althought that 24 point quarter (i think, either 24 or 26) against the Spurs this past season was pretty amazing. Not often you see that sort of thing.

Anyway, he's your big 3 type, but he isn't that fast and doesnt shoot particuly well. He has developed a 3pt shot the last 2 years, but it isn't exactly great. He isn't a great defender and isn't a great rebounder either.

I think his role in Indiana suited him best. 28-30MPG player off of the bench where he can be the focal point of the offense for stretches too. I would like him on the Spurs, but he isn't the prototype big 3 that the Spurs would be coveting in my opinion and would be best suited to a bench role. He'll demand to much $$$ anyway.

I agree with everything you said but he is an above average defender by all accounts. I would like him on our team but it's a pipe dream.

MI21
06-30-2006, 04:48 PM
I agree with everything you said but he is an above average defender by all accounts. I would like him on our team but he isn't a franchise player and it's a pipe dream.

Hmmm, I would not call him above average by any standards. He's to slow to guard the quickest 3's and big guard types out there thats for sure. He is OK against PF's, but certainly not above average by any means.

Bruno
06-30-2006, 04:56 PM
If we get Harrington , I want him to play PF, not SF.
Tony/Manu/Bruce/Harrington/Duncan : my dream starting lineup.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, I would not call him above average by any standards. He's to slow to guard the quickest 3's and big guard types out there thats for sure. He is OK against PF's, but certainly not above average by any means.

ESPN Insider Analysis:

As I mentioned in the section on similarity scores, Al Harrington was the most "common" player in this season's book. Over the past 20 years 75 different players had a Similarity Score of 98 or greater when compared with Harrington, the most of any pro player. This fact should permanently end the "Harrington as rising star" discussion. He is what he is: a generic NBA forward who is decent at everything but truly good at nothing. His per-40-minute stats have never hinted at the star potential that his "tools" supposedly indicated he had, and in truth his physical skills hardly seem phenomenal either.

Harrington certainly has some positives, however. He can punish small forwards in the low post from the left block and is an above-average defensive player at either spot. He also has range out to the 3-point line and is capable of taking bigger players off the dribble when he plays the power forward spot. However, he lacks the go-to move of most top scorers and isn't athletic enough to leap over defenders in traffic to get himself easy shots. As a result, his PER hasn't climbed above the mid-teens.

Harrington is a free agent after the season and could be traded by Atlanta by the time this book is published. With Smith, Williams, and Childress making up the team's forward rotation for the foreseeable future, Harrington isn't filling a need anyway. The Hawks would be better off if they parlay him into a decent center or point guard.

MI21
06-30-2006, 05:28 PM
ESPN is full of shit, to put it politely :)

Spurs16212
06-30-2006, 05:32 PM
How about trading Barry and the expiring contract of Erik Williams with the second round draft pick acquired in the trade with Toronto. This will free up money for Atlanta in a year or so and the Spurs get a solid player in return.

Mr. Body
06-30-2006, 06:31 PM
If the Spurs manage to get a player of this quality without losing our big three/plus two (Fin, Bowen), they win Top Executives hand down.

exstatic
06-30-2006, 06:42 PM
How about trading Barry and the expiring contract of Erik Williams with the second round draft pick acquired in the trade with Toronto. This will free up money for Atlanta in a year or so and the Spurs get a solid player in return.
Uh, that's about $10M in contracts. Harrington ain't worth that.

Holt's Cat
06-30-2006, 07:08 PM
He can really break a player off.

T Park
06-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Lakers are thinking of bringing in Cassell?!?

Interesting.....

Please_dont_ban_me
06-30-2006, 07:27 PM
8-9 mill a year?

Nice player but that's too much for this team. Unless we traded one of the big 3 (in this case manu) which wouldn't make sense.