PDA

View Full Version : A Good Book To Read for Conservatives...

JoeChalupa
10-13-2004, 12:37 PM
http://www.spinsanity.org/ATPSspinsanityBorder1.gif

In an attempt to use John Kerry's words against him, the Bush/Cheney campaign has taken two words uttered by him at Thursday's presidential debate and distorted them in a way that contradicts the Democratic presidential candidate's position.

The deceptive attack is best captured in a new ad released by the Bush/Cheney campaign, which features the following script:

He said he'd attack terrorists who threaten America. But at the debate, John Kerry said America must pass a "global test" before we protect ourselves.
The Kerry doctrine: A global test.
So we must seek permission from foreign governments before protecting America?
A global test?
So America will be forced to wait while threats gather?
President Bush believes decisions about protecting America should be made in the Oval Office, not foreign capitals.
Kerry did say that he believes a preemptive war waged by the US should pass a "global test." But in context, his meaning was quite different than what the Bush campaign is claiming: "But if and when you do it, Jim," Kerry said to Jim Lehrer of PBS, the debate moderator, "you have to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons."

Clearly, Kerry meant that a President must be able to demonstrate to the world that the preemptive war is being waged for legitimate reasons, not that foreign governments must provide "permission."

In fact, Kerry said the exact opposite at another point in the debate. In his very first answer of the night, the Democratic candidate said, "I'll never give a veto to any country over our security."

The misleading quote isn't only being used in a Bush ad. The President has also made it part of his stump speech. Speaking October 1, the day after the debate, in Lehigh, Pennsylvania, he said, "One other point I want to make about the debate last night. Senator Kerry last night said that America has to pass some sort of global test before we can use American troops to defend ourselves. He wants our national security decisions subject to the approval of a foreign government."

The President has even gone so far as to call this out-of-context quote the "Kerry doctrine."

And Vice President Cheney made a similar accusation at a rally immediately following the debate. "[Kerry] says that in response to the question on preemptive action, he would support it as long as it passed some kind of global test," Cheney stated, adding soon thereafter, "[W]e're prepared to work to lead a coalition, but we will never submit to the objections of a few. We will never seek a permission slip to defend the United States of America."

Journalists should debunk this misleading attack, which only distracts from the substantive issues debated by the candidates.

--Get the facts.

Hook Dem
10-13-2004, 12:42 PM
"Clearly, Kerry meant that a President must be able to demonstrate to the world that the preemptive war is being waged for legitimate reasons, not that foreign governments must provide "permission." ....................Really???? Why????? Just because you say so???? :lol

bigzak25
10-13-2004, 12:43 PM
as the wind blows, kerry goes.........this is not ideal for the leader of our country.

JoeChalupa
10-13-2004, 12:49 PM
So if the president simply blows?
Is there anything that could come out of Dubya's piehole that you all wouldn't believe?

LandShark
10-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Is there anything that could come out of Dubya's piehole that you all wouldn't believe?
You don't seem to have had that problem with Clinton. :blah

JoeChalupa
10-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey, I've admitted that Clinton lied....about a freakin' BLOW JOB.

But I see you've adopted the "I am with Dubya no matter what" attitude.

Blind allegiance to any leader is very alarming.

Samurai Jane
10-13-2004, 12:57 PM

But I see you've adopted the "I am with Dubya no matter what" attitude.

Blind allegiance to any leader is very alarming.

Indeed. So explain to me again, why exactly are you voting for Kerry?

LandShark
10-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Committing perjury in federal court is a serious matter no matter what was being lied about. But Clinton also lied about a great number of other matters such as middle class tax cuts and the true nature of terrorist threats facing our country during his administration, among others.

LandShark
10-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Indeed. So explain to me again, why exactly are you voting for Kerry?
Good question.

Hook Dem
10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Is it just because you're a Democrat Joe? Hell, I used to be one.