PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

superfedja
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Here's my perfect off-season for the Spurs.

1) Get rid of these people/contracts : Rasho (costs too much), Barry (weak defender), Van Exel (I hope I don't have to explain this one), Nazr, Oberto (too weak for the NBA), Horry (gettin old), Beno (same as Oberto, not athletic enough to play his position in the NBA) ... This will free a total of 25,8 million dollars

2) Sign free agent Tayshaun Prince ( this guy is so underrated and he's the perfect choice for replacing Bowen ... he's a great defender , a great rebounder and a great shot-blocker and only 27... need I say more?) ... I think if we give him 10 millions dollars a year he will accept ... anyways I don't think he's going to get more than that from Detroit and he's not that happy in Detroit neither is Ben or Chauncey right now... so 25.8 - 10 leaves us with 15.8 millions

3) Acquire Tyson Chandler from the Chicago Bulls through either sign&trade (Nazr) or a 3-way, 4-way, 5-way-deal. I don't care what it takes to get Tayshaun and Chandler here ... they are perfect for us ... with them we will win many championships. Don't forget we got rid of half of our roster ( 25.8 million dollars) so we can get them here. Chicago aren't that happy with Chandler's production.

4) Bring in Luis Scola ( He's the best player in Europe right now... the last 2 guys that were considered as the best in Europe before joinning the NBA were Predrag Stojakovic and Dirk Nowitzki and look how they've done in the NBA). We can give him up to 4 millions a year ( which is a great boost from what he was earnning in Europe) but I don't think he will get above 3.5 millions.

5) fill up the roster with cheap guys like Javtokas or veterans who will take the minimum to get a chance at the title

Now that's what I would try to do AT ALL COST if I were Pop/Holt. That's what I think would be the ''realistical'' perfect off-season for the Spurs.

Some of the pistons aren't happy right now ( including Tayshaun ). And I don't care if they haven't went public with it or not ... of course they won't go public with it cuz then u're considered an ass and u don't get as big contracts... just look at their facial expressions during time-outs, interviews, etc... look in their eyes and u will see how happy they really are in Detroit ( I'm not saying they're sad in Detroit ... I'm just saying that they will explore the market before taking their decision and that migh lead them elsewhere cuz I sincerely don't believe that Detroit has enough cash and good arguments to keep Big Ben and Tayshaun this year and then get to keep Chauncey the next year... one of them will go and I believe it will be either Ben ( not happy with Flip's system cuz he's a defensive-minded player ) or Prince ( he will get great offers that Pistons won't be able to match if they intend to keep Ben and Chauncey) ... If the Pistons pull this off they will be incredibly good for the years to come but I doubt it.

Tayshaun would be perfect for us cuz he is a match-up nightmare at both ends of the floor. He would come cheap since he might not even get 10 million and he's worth more ( Yeah I said it). He will get great offers but he is still underrated so he still won't get what he really deserves. He and Chandler would solve our rebounding problems.

Just imagine this frontcourt :

SF - Tayshaun Prince ( Awesome defender, great rebounder and shot-blocker, has good potential)
PF - Tim Duncan ( Awesome defender, great rebounder and awesome shot-blocker, entering his prime)
C - Tyson Chandler ( Great defender, awesome rebounder and good shot-blocker, has awesome potential)

You think someone can score against that type of shot-blocking? and then hope to get a second chance basket? No way.

This is what our rotation would look like come playoff time:

Parker
Ginobili
Tayshaun
TD
Chandler

Bench: Bowen, Finley, Scola + a backup pg who just needs to know how to cross the court without turning over the ball and then giving the ball into someone else's (ginobili's, finley's, tayshaun's, bowen's, Tim's) hands + another frontcourt player ( a veteran signed for the minimum or Javtokas).

With that line-up we are unstoppable.

Can u say 3-peat?

Now the real question is whether this is possible or not, I believe it's unlikely it will happen but I think it's possible and I would go for it no matter the cost if I was Pop.

So what do you guys think am I crazy or not?

DarrinS
06-01-2006, 11:48 AM
The only crazy part is some other team actually wanting the services of Rasho.

Sorry Rasho fans.

FromWayDowntown
06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure (http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/tprince_051031.html) that Prince signed a long extension with the Pistons before the season began. I don't think Detroit has any intention of letting him go.

Mr. Body
1) The team will do most of those things, or try. Udrih stays. Rasho stays, as is unwanted at his price. The rest - NVE will be gone, Barry will likely be traded.

4) Scola comes over, whether a Spur or not.

5) Javtokas comes over.

The rest is utterly ludicrous. Chicago is not giving up Chandler. Besides, he makes insanely too much money for his talents. And Tayshaun Prince isn't even a free agent.

WalterBenitez

Not sure if you are crazy ... we should call a second opionion in this issue, but ... the only question mark I have about your proposal is Chandler ... are you serious about him?

About getting Prince, yeah I can imagine him playing with TD, TP, Finley and Scola ... sending Manu to the Bench .... SuperManu coming from the bench is good.

Streakyshooter08
06-01-2006, 11:50 AM
It may be just a feeling, but I highly doubt it will happen...

DarrinS
06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure (http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/tprince_051031.html) that Prince signed a long extension with the Pistons before the season began. I don't think Detroit has any intention of letting him go.

Oops. Didn't realize that. I wonder if he was thinking of Ben Wallace being a free agent?

Texas_Ranger
06-01-2006, 11:53 AM
It may be just a feeling, but I highly doubt it will happen...

Me too

DarrinS
06-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Also, the Spurs are in DIRE need of a backup PG !!!

angel_luv
06-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Get rid of these people/contracts : Rasho (costs too much), Barry (weak defender), Van Exel (I hope I don't have to explain this one), Nazr, Oberto (too weak for the NBA), Horry (gettin old), Beno (same as Oberto, not athletic enough to play his position in the NBA) ... This will free a total of 25,8 million dollars

I think you are in for some serious chemisty issues if you trade/ release all those people. That is half of our team. Do you really want half a dozen guys on our squad trying to learn Pop's system at once?

As for my personal views on those you mentioned:

Van Exel is retiring. Correct?

Oberto and Beno are progressing/don't hurt us and deserve a chance to show their stuff next season.

I have confidence in Barry. I hope he is on the team again next season.

If Big Shot is going to play, I want it to be for us.

I am hoping Nazr goes to Chicago the way people say he wants to. I think that would be best for everyone.

And of course, keep the Sho! :)

superfedja
06-01-2006, 12:05 PM
????? Tayshaun signed an extension???? I don't think so ... well at least it's not updated on hoopshype.com... well if he's signed an extension with the Pistons we should at least try to get him through a sign-and-trade cuz I sincerely believe the Spurs should absolutely do everything that's in their power to get this guy over here ... he just fits so well with the Spurs.

Someone please give me details on his extention ( if it indeed is signed).

DarinS ... the spurs do need a backup PG but just one who can cross the court without turnion over the ball and is willing to share the ball (and at least know how to spell the word defense cuz he won't play big minutes anyway). And if manu ever comes off the bench he can do some PG time also with finley starting as SG.

Mr.Body ... chicago said they aren't happy with Chandler ( and they didn't need to say anything look at their actions ... putting a 10 million dollar guy on the bench... just like the spurs are doing with Rasho and u're not saying Spurs are happy with Rasho aren't you?) and they also said they were searching for a big man ( Nazr stays an interesting option with them ... I mean he did help us win a championship).

1Parker1
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
:lmao I love how people want to get rid of Horry all of a sudden. Spurs fans are so fickle. In 2004, when he had a similiarly bad postseason, everyone wanted to trade him then also. Then in 2005, when he saved our asses in Game 5, everyone said we need to pay him whatever he wants to keep him, and now people want to trade him again. Horry does more than just make big shots. He's usually a pretty smart defender, and brings many intangible things. He'll bounce back and even if he doesn't.....the fact that he could at any time hit a big shot makes me not want to see him on any other team that could hurt us. :lol

superfedja
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
No.

not good enough. You have to back-up what u say... elaborate a little bit.

rayweb_on
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
are you serius when you said chandler is an awesome rebounder??? i mean he is just avg rebounder and by the way ..all the bulls fans want him out of chicago cus he is overpaid and cus he never will developt aaallll jajaja his potential so ..no way chandler in a spurs uniform

superfedja
06-01-2006, 12:11 PM
are you serius when you said chandler is an awesome rebounder??? i mean he is just avg rebounder and by the way ..all the bulls fans want him out of chicago cus he is overpaid and cus he never will developt aaallll jajaja his potential so ..no way chandler in a spurs uniform

not an awesome rebounder? are you joking?.... he leads the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. the problem is the bulls are just playing him something like 25 minutes ( If I remember right it's something more like 28.5 minutes a game)... u play this guy 35 minutes a game and hes a rebounding monster ... check your facts before posting

FromWayDowntown
06-01-2006, 12:13 PM
????? Tayshaun signed an extension???? I don't think so ... well at least it's not updated on hoopshype.com... well if he's signed an extension with the Pistons we should at least try to get him through a sign-and-trade cuz I sincerely believe the Spurs should absolutely do everything that's in their power to get this guy over here ... he just fits so well with the Spurs.

At the end of October 2005, he signed a 5 year extension worth $47 million. That means that on top of his contract for the 2005-06 season, Prince is now under contract with Detroit through 2010-2011.

Do you have any conception whatsoever about how the cap works? Since he's signed, there is no sign-and-trade possibility. It's rather simple. You can't force the Pistons to sign Nazr and then try to force some sort of trade involving Prince.

And are you aware of the fact that the Detroit Pistons certainly will believe that they can compete for a title in 06-07 and need Tayshaun Prince in order to do that. Besides, what can the Spurs offer to Detroit (other than Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker) that would make them think even for one second about giving up Tayshaun Prince?

superfedja
06-01-2006, 12:29 PM
well if what u say is true ''FromWayDownTown'' then u're right. I didn't know he signed an extension I though it would have said it on hoopshype.com ... but I believe that if Tayshaun says he wants to play with the Spurs ... if Pop goes after him real hard... then there's nothing the pistons can do about it but to trade him ... and why would they allow the spurs to get stronger? so they can get some trading material inr eturn ( something they can trade /..r.asho, berry, etc are worth something to some teams) and even if they refuse to give us tayshaun ( that's always if he's willing to play with the spurs cuz I don't believe he's happy under this new Flip offensive regime) then they will have to trade him somewhere else where we could get him ... cuz they wouldn't keep an unhappy player on their roster of course... but u're right ... there's too many if's in this situation... it won't happen... but if I were Pop I would go hard as hell after him and Chandler and try to get them here at any cost... ( except Finley, TD and Manu). I wouldn't mind trading Parker if I get something awesome for him. Parker is too much of a scorer ... we have lots of scorers (manu , TD , finley) who would benefit a lot from a PG that's a playmaker and ot a scorer.... TP would be awesome if he could read the defense like manu does and I sure hope he develops it otherwise.... he's tradeable/replacable.

FreshPrince22
06-01-2006, 12:30 PM
2) Sign free agent Tayshaun Prince ( this guy is so underrated and he's the perfect choice for replacing Bowen ... he's a great defender , a great rebounder and a great shot-blocker and only 27... need I say more?) ... I think if we give him 10 millions dollars a year he will accept ... anyways I don't think he's going to get more than that from Detroit and he's not that happy in Detroit neither is Ben or Chauncey right now... so 25.8 - 10 leaves us with 15.8 millions

Pure genius. :rolleyes

1. He signed a 5 year extension already. He's locked up.
2. He just turned 26.
3. He's not a "Great rebounder". Good when he wants to be. Bowen-esque at times.
4. When has he ever said he wasn't "happy in detroit"? Same with Chauncey and Ben. I've never seen them once imply they aren't happy in Detroit. At worst you can say they disagree with a few decisions from the coach. But that happens all the time. It happend with Carlisle, LB, etc. The difference is Flip is under the microscope, so it's being made public.
5. You can't just hand a guy 10 million a year. There are salary cap restrictions.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2006, 12:31 PM
We need a salary cap and CBA for dummies stickie, and all the noobs should be required to read it and pass a test on it before they can post things like the original poster.

WalterBenitez
06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
We need a salary cap and CBA for dummies stickie, and all the noobs should be required to read it and pass a test on it before they can post things like the original poster.

You also need to point out that money and other GM counts in every equation, also this site should requiere an anti doping test.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-01-2006, 12:41 PM
other GM counts in every equation

Well, except for the Knicks :lol

Slinkyman
06-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I honestly don't think that shit would fly in NBA Live much less real life.

WalterBenitez
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, except for the Knicks :lol :lmao

da_suns_fan__
06-01-2006, 12:54 PM

1) Get rid of these people/contracts : Rasho (costs too much), Barry (weak defender), Van Exel (I hope I don't have to explain this one), Nazr, Oberto (too weak for the NBA), Horry (gettin old), Beno (same as Oberto, not athletic enough to play his position in the NBA) ... This will free a total of 25,8 million dollars

3) Acquire Tyson Chandler from the Chicago Bulls through either sign&trade (Nazr) or a 3-way, 4-way, 5-way-deal. I don't care what it takes to get Tayshaun and Chandler here ... they are perfect for us ... with them we will win many championships. Don't forget we got rid of half of our roster ( 25.8 million dollars) so we can get them here. Chicago aren't that happy with Chandler's production.

4) Bring in Luis Scola ( He's the best player in Europe right now... the last 2 guys that were considered as the best in Europe before joinning the NBA were Predrag Stojakovic and Dirk Nowitzki and look how they've done in the NBA). We can give him up to 4 millions a year ( which is a great boost from what he was earnning in Europe) but I don't think he will get above 3.5 millions.

5) fill up the roster with cheap guys like Javtokas or veterans who will take the minimum to get a chance at the title

Now that's what I would try to do AT ALL COST if I were Pop/Holt. That's what I think would be the ''realistical'' perfect off-season for the Spurs.

Some of the pistons aren't happy right now ( including Tayshaun ). And I don't care if they haven't went public with it or not ... of course they won't go public with it cuz then u're considered an ass and u don't get as big contracts... just look at their facial expressions during time-outs, interviews, etc... look in their eyes and u will see how happy they really are in Detroit ( I'm not saying they're sad in Detroit ... I'm just saying that they will explore the market before taking their decision and that migh lead them elsewhere cuz I sincerely don't believe that Detroit has enough cash and good arguments to keep Big Ben and Tayshaun this year and then get to keep Chauncey the next year... one of them will go and I believe it will be either Ben ( not happy with Flip's system cuz he's a defensive-minded player ) or Prince ( he will get great offers that Pistons won't be able to match if they intend to keep Ben and Chauncey) ... If the Pistons pull this off they will be incredibly good for the years to come but I doubt it.

Tayshaun would be perfect for us cuz he is a match-up nightmare at both ends of the floor. He would come cheap since he might not even get 10 million and he's worth more ( Yeah I said it). He will get great offers but he is still underrated so he still won't get what he really deserves. He and Chandler would solve our rebounding problems.

SF - Tayshaun Prince ( Awesome defender, great rebounder and shot-blocker, has good potential)
PF - Tim Duncan ( Awesome defender, great rebounder and awesome shot-blocker, entering his prime)
C - Tyson Chandler ( Great defender, awesome rebounder and good shot-blocker, has awesome potential)

You think someone can score against that type of shot-blocking? and then hope to get a second chance basket? No way.

Parker
Ginobili
Tayshaun
TD
Chandler

Bench: Bowen, Finley, Scola + a backup pg who just needs to know how to cross the court without turning over the ball and then giving the ball into someone else's (ginobili's, finley's, tayshaun's, bowen's, Tim's) hands + another frontcourt player ( a veteran signed for the minimum or Javtokas).

Can u say 3-peat?

Now the real question is whether this is possible or not, I believe it's unlikely it will happen but I think it's possible and I would go for it no matter the cost if I was Pop.

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Another kid actually taking the time to type out what he did as GM on NBA Live 2006.

1) Tayshawn Prince isn't a free agent. He got a 50 million dollar extention from the Pistons last October..
http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/tprince_051031.html

2) Even if the Spurs managed to dump the contracts of Rasho, Barry and Horry for expiring contracts, they wouldn't be able to reap the benefits until the next year (when the contracts expired). The only possibility of getting rid of all that payroll and not taking any in return is trading them to a team like Atlanta or Chicago with plenty of cap space.

3) Do you really believe that John Paxon would agree to a Nazr/Chandler swap? I guess you think that dude is quite the moron.

Spurs should just keep the team they have....the got screwed on a few bad calls at the end of games.

fyatuk
06-01-2006, 01:13 PM

This will free a total of 25,8 million dollars

Not really given the Spurs are what, 15 mil over the cap. That'd mean they could sign 1 max contract, use the MLE, and would have to fill out the rest with league minimum players.

At least if you could actually get rid of the contracts effective immediately. You'd pretty much have to trade for near equal value in terms of contract, and that usually means the team trying to dump salary gets the short end of the talent stick.

Really the Spurs just need to use the MLE wisely, and maybe make a single trade or two, and that's mostly to get some more youth, and fix some matchup problems with teams like the Suns and Mavs.

Extra Stout
06-01-2006, 02:50 PM
but I believe that if Tayshaun says he wants to play with the Spurs ... if Pop goes after him real hard... then there's nothing the pistons can do about it but to trade him ...
Well shit, by that logic, why settle for Tayshaun Prince? Go convince LeBron James that he really wants to play with the Spurs, and have Pop go after him real hard. Clearly, then Cleveland will have no choice but to trade him. It's foolproof. We Spurs fans are geniuses.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
So lose roughly $50 million of multiyear deals for nothing and sign a player who has already signed a long-term extension.

I've got our GM on the line right now....

http://home.kc.rr.com/dturner/dream/b-eden01.jpg

JamStone
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I think Joe Dumars would have no problem trading Tayshaun Prince for Fabrico Oberto and Beno Udrih. He would probably even throw in Orlando's first round pick for next year. But, if Dumars gives up Rip Hamilton in that trade as well, that might be too much.

Gummi
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Thread starter! If you look at hoopshype.com and see that after Tayshaun's 05/06 salary, it's just a white line through the 10/11 season, that means that the player has signed a contract through tthat season, but it's not known how much each season.

Axl Van Dam
06-08-2006, 05:28 AM
:td Tyson Chandler? Hell NO!!!! He's way overrated. :nope :nope :nope :nope :nope As for Tayshaun Prince I doubt if Joe D. trades him. :( :( :( :( :(

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Parker
Ginobili
Tayshaun
TD
Chandler

Can u say 3-peat?

First off, Tayshaun Prince isn't a free agent. Second, even if he was we would not sign him because then he would replace Bruce Bowen and no way that's gonna happen. Third, getting Tyson Chandler isn't that easy and if we can get him it's gonna take more than just Nazr and if you want a three-way trade you could at least say who would be the third and the players. Fourth, Robertas Javtokas is not cheap. In my opinion, he's even better than Luis Scola. Last, if you wanna get rid of all those people, even thought I think we should keep Horry and Beno, tell us HOW! And by the way, you are crazy.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-08-2006, 11:06 AM
I think Joe Dumars would have no problem trading Tayshaun Prince for Fabrico Oberto and Beno Udrih. He would probably even throw in Orlando's first round pick for next year. But, if Dumars gives up Rip Hamilton in that trade as well, that might be too much.
Totally!

DirkAB
06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
well if what u say is true ''FromWayDownTown'' then u're right. I didn't know he signed an extension I though it would have said it on hoopshype.com ... but I believe that if Tayshaun says he wants to play with the Spurs ... if Pop goes after him real hard... then there's nothing the pistons can do about it but to trade him ... and why would they allow the spurs to get stronger? so they can get some trading material inr eturn ( something they can trade /..r.asho, berry, etc are worth something to some teams) and even if they refuse to give us tayshaun ( that's always if he's willing to play with the spurs cuz I don't believe he's happy under this new Flip offensive regime) then they will have to trade him somewhere else where we could get him .

You're dreamin'.

Leetonidas
06-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Here is what I realistically think will happen this offseason...

1. Nazr will leave.
2. Barry will be traded for JR Smith and Arvydas Macijauskas.
3. Javtokas will be brought over.
4. The Spurs will trade Scola for a pick in the first round and draft a SF OR they will package a deal of Udrih + Rasho + Scola's rights to perhaps Chicago for Luol Deng or another team. (This one may not be as realistic)
5. The Spurs will sign Bobby Jackson for the vet minimum