PDA

View Full Version : What about Jay Williams?

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 11:58 AM
He was very promising before the accident. Don't know what type of shape he is in now, but I am sure he has tried and is trying to get back to what he use to be. I'm sure he'll never be the same, but if he gets close he could be a bargain.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Bobby Hurley comes to mind never the same after all that damage.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Last thing I could find written about him.

April 12, 2006 -- Larry Brown said as recently as Monday night the Knicks still need a pure point guard next season. And there's a famous one right in the Knicks' backyard.
Jay Williams, the former Duke star mounting a vigorous comeback attempt following a June 2003 motorcycle accident, is on the Knicks' radar, according to an industry source.

Williams, 24, the second overall pick of the 2002 draft, has been practicing at Basketball City at Chelsea Piers and also in Houston, along with ex-Knick Penny Hardaway.

Williams is looking to get invited to a summer-league team this July with plans of playing in the NBA next season, three years after tearing three ligaments in his left knee and severing a nerve in his leg.

The Knicks - who next play tomorrow night, at Cleveland - will play in the summer league in Las Vegas.

The 6-foot-2 PG out of Plainfield, N.J., is friends with Garden prez Steve Mills back from their Team USA days. Williams has attended a couple of Knick games in the past month, sitting in lower-level seats by the tunnel, where president Isiah Thomas hangs.

The Knicks have yet to work out Williams but could do so after the season ends in one week. Brown is looking for a character guy, a charismatic leader who can be an extension of himself on the court and an ally in the locker room.

The disgraceful scene in the locker room Monday night after getting blown out by Indiana - players laughing, joking and being loud - showed the desperate need to bring in guys with pride, who take winning and losing seriously.

Williams had a rep as one of the brightest guys entering the league in 2002. He showed promise as a rookie, averaging 9.5 points and 4.7 assists. Then the horrifying motorcycle accident postponed his career.

Williams is able to dunk again - a good sign his athleticism has returned. The Knicks have five talented guards, none of whom is the prototypical PG Brown seeks.

When free agency begins July 1, the Knicks are expected to go after Hornet point guard Speedy Claxton with their $5 million mid-level. Claxton may look to leave the Hornets because he will forever be backup to Rookie of the Year shoo-in Chris Paul.

Claxton, though, is being cited as a Sixth Man of the Year candidate, and the Knicks might have a lot of competition since the PG market is weak. On the Knicks' side is that Claxton is a former Hofstra guard and a Hempstead native who played for Brown with the Sixers for two seasons.

Claxton and Williams have the same agent, Bill Duffy, who did not return phone calls.

Steve Francis' comments Monday night in Indiana, blaming his awful start as a Knick on fluctuating minutes while taking no responsibility, could hurt his standing with Brown again.

"Stevie Franchise" has turned into "Stevie Fusspot." He has been sloppy with the ball, his unorthodox outside shot has been an eyesore and his defense has been mediocre. So he's fit in well with Team Titanic (22-55).

Francis, Stephon Marbury, Nate Robinson, Jamal Crawford can play the point but not in the traditional way Brown likes. Neither Francis nor Marbury will have much trade value this summer, though Minnesota's yen for Marbury might be enough to make a deal.

Marbury may have played his last game as a Knick. He appears unwilling to play through pain for Brown, repeatedly saying he'll only return when his sore knee "feels better." Marbury played through knee pain all last season for Lenny Wilkens and Herb Williams as he constructed a 280 games-played streak.

Today might be the season's last practice, and if Marbury does not participate, it seems highly unlikely he'll be back for any of the final five games.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-01-2006, 12:17 PM
He is a good kid I hope he can make it back.

Bruno
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
He was very promising before the accident. Don't know what type of shape he is in now, but I am sure he has tried and is trying to get back to what he use to be. I'm sure he'll never be the same, but if he gets close he could be a bargain.

I've read that he has made this week a workout with Marcus Williams (UConn point guard who is the best point guard in this draft) and that the better point guard during this workout was Jay Williams.
We should sign him.

SenorSpur
06-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I've read that he has made this week a workout with Marcus Williams (UConn point guard who is the best point guard in this draft) and that the better point guard during this workout was Jay Williams.
We should sign him.

If that is true, why would Williams want to be a backup? If he's good enough to get the better of Williams in a workout, he's probably good enough to start for some team next season.

Remember both the Hawks, Knicks and Rockets (among others) are in dire need of a starting PG. All could take a flyer on him and pay him more as a projected starter than the Spurs could as a backup.

JamStone
06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't give much credence to any reports about Jay Williams.

I mean having your pelvis crushed and shattered into a thousand pieces just makes me doubt he'll ever be an NBA player again.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I am sure Jay Will just wants to play. The guy got in a terrible accident and didn't know if he'd be able to run again. I'm sure he doesn't care where he plays, but money does factor in. A team may be dumb enough to throw a lot of money at him, but there are other options at the PG that draw more interest like Speedy and Mike James.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 12:26 PM

I mean having your pelvis crushed and shattered into a thousand pieces just makes me doubt he'll ever be an NBA player again.

So how do you feel about that Javkotas guy? He was in a motorcycle accident as well.

Bruno
06-01-2006, 12:28 PM

It was only a workout, there are a big difference between a workout and 82 games. I will try to re-find the place where I read this repport.

Bruno
06-01-2006, 12:34 PM
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=519435

JamStone
06-01-2006, 12:42 PM
So how do you feel about that Javkotas guy? He was in a motorcycle accident as well.

Was Javkotas' pelvis shattered into a thousand pieces? If not, it's not comparable.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
You'll see it in the interview, but as far as his game play, very little seperates these two and that is a good thing. The sooner teams stop looking at Jay Williams compared to what he was and start analyzing him for what he is, the quicker they'll realize that he can still be an impact PG in this league if given a couple of seasons to grow with a team.

Jay Williams is back--just no one knows it yet. Marcus is fabulous as well.

picnroll
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Spurs can't afford the luxury of going into the season with Beno and another question mark as the backuo PGs.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Spurs can't afford the luxury of going into the season with Beno and another question mark as the backuo PGs.

I agree with you somewhat, but they are doing somewhat the same thing when they bring that guy from Lithuania. Right? In a way?

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Was Javkotas' pelvis shattered into a thousand pieces? If not, it's not comparable.

San Antonio Express News - Robertas Javtokas, a second-round draft pick of the Spurs last summer, suffered potential career-ending injuries in a motorcycle accident in Lithuania on Wednesday.

Javtokas was in serious but stable condition Friday in a hospital in Vilnius, Lithuania. He crushed his thighbone and injured his shoulder, knee and kidneys after his motorcycle collided with a minivan at high speed, Dr. Manvilius Kocius of the Vilnius University Hospital told the Associated Press.

Its not the pelvis, but sounds pretty serious to me.

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I agree with you somewhat, but they are doing somewhat the same thing when they bring that guy from Lithuania. Right? In a way?
He's been playing for multiple seasons in Europe since the injury, so they have some idea what he can do.

Personally, I have no problem with bringing in Williams if he's really cheap and they think he can play. We don't have a lot of money to throw at a third PG this offseason, so even a risk guy might be better than the alternatives if it's a smart risk.

MoSpur
06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
He's been playing for multiple seasons in Europe since the injury, so they have some idea what he can do.

Personally, I have no problem with bringing in Williams if he's really cheap and they think he can play. We don't have a lot of money to throw at a third PG this offseason, so even a risk guy might be better than the alternatives if it's a smart risk.

I agree. He is a risk. Van Exel was a risk. There are a lot of risks out there. Williams just seems like a good fit. The price might be good. Teams might not want to throw guaranteed money at him, which is a way to go about it.

timvp
06-01-2006, 06:42 PM
This is comeback #532 for Jay Williams. If it's like the other, he'll announce in a few weeks that he's pushing back his comeback for another couple months.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, work him out if you think Beno is going to be the primary backup.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2006, 06:43 PM

He has?

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 06:54 PM
He has?

Javtokas, not Williams.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Javtokas, not Williams.

Oh okay, thanks.

I was confused. I didn't think Williams has been in Europe.

jochhejaam
06-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Recently posted on ESPN.

Updated: June 1, 2006, 7:22 PM ET

Healthy Jay Williams working out for RaptorsAssociated Press

TORONTO -- Jay Williams thinks he's ready to return to the NBA after sitting out three years while recovering from a motorcycle crash.

Williams, the former No. 2 NBA draft pick, is in Toronto working out for the Raptors, and likes what he sees in the young team and new general manager Bryan Colangelo.

"The thing I like about Toronto is the winning atmosphere," said Williams. "Guys want to win, guys want to be great players, and you can't say that about every franchise. They're definitely on the right path there to getting better.

"I love the style [Colangelo] brings to the team," he added. "We worked a lot pushing the ball, he wants to play that kind of fast tempo. And you've got guys like Chris Bosh on your wing and Mo Pete can stretch out the defense, and [Charlie] Villanueva can shoot the ball, the possibilities are exciting."

In June 2003, Williams crashed his new motorcycle into a light pole, fracturing his pelvis, tearing knee ligaments and damaging nerves in his left leg. He hasn't played in the NBA since.

The Chicago Bulls, who drafted Williams, honored one year of his contract even though he violated a standard clause. They waived him in February of 2004 after reaching a settlement on the remaining two years. The buyout was reportedly worth about $3 million.

Jim Kelly, the Raptors' director of player personnel, said while Williams is "very fit," it remains to be seen whether he's ready to return to the NBA.

"He's pressing for that, but to be honest, we haven't seen him in a full-court game," said Kelly.

Williams insists he's good to go.

"I actually think I'm ready to play now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2466984

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 10:07 PM
"The thing I like about Toronto is the winning atmosphere," said Williams.
:wow

T Park
06-01-2006, 10:09 PM
The thing I like about Toronto is the winning atmosphere," said Williams

Dude

they just won the lottery.......

Thats not the kind of winning you want to look for.

Bruno
06-02-2006, 04:06 AM
We should sign him.

A report of this workout :
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1321

MoSpur
06-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Toronto knows Mike James is leaving. If Jay Williams is NBA ready, its a good fit for both Jay Will and the Raptors.

Mavschick
06-02-2006, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't count CHI out yet. They could still package one of Duhon or Gordon in a trade for a stud big man, ie. Garnett, Odom, etc. and that would leave a vacancy in the backcourt that Williams could be used to fill.

Russ
06-02-2006, 10:01 AM
As I recall, Jay Williams was considered a bit of a bust even before his motorcycle accident. Hard to imagine he could be as good as before, much less better.

Mr. Body
06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
As I recall, Jay Williams was considered a bit of a bust even before his motorcycle accident. Hard to imagine he could be as good as before, much less better.

How was he a bust before playing even one minute? If anything, the knock on him was a terrible free throw percentage.

MoSpur
06-02-2006, 10:27 AM
A bust? I don't think you are talking about the same Jay Williams. He wasn't D-Wade or anything of that nature, but he was not a bust.

timvp
06-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Yeah, I agree with that. He was pretty horrible his first year in the league considering he was the second pick in the draft and was on a team where he could dominate. The Bulls were looking at getting another point guard even before his accident. As it turns out, Kirk Hinrich is a much, much better player.

Melmart1
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM

JamStone
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Jay Williams wasn't a bust in his rookie year. But, he wasn't as good as expected. He was far from a bust though, from what I recall. I do remember the one time he had a break-away dunk and he got hung by the rim and his teammates on the bench laughing at him for not finishing the dunk.

I haven't looked up his stats that season, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't a bust.

Kori Ellis
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I believe he shot sub 40% and looked pretty bad a lot of the time. I'm not sure if that qualifies as bust.

Bruno
06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Being a bust isn't an absolute notion, you are a bust towards people's expectation.
Jay Williams was maybe a bust for a 2nd pick.
Now, will he be a bust as backup PG sign with a minimum contract ?

picnroll
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
The report said that both guys he was working out with blew by him off the dribble. Sounds a lot like NVE.

jochhejaam
06-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Considering it was his first (and only) year in the NBA and was just 21 years old he didn't do too bad.
26 mins pg
9.5 pts
4.7 assists
2.2 turnovers
.399 from the field

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jay_williams/

He used to have a great vertical and no surprise that he admitted he doesn't have those hops anymore.

Trainwreck2100
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Is this the craka or the guy with the shotgun?

Kori Ellis
06-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Is this the craka or the guy with the shotgun?

Those two are Jason and Jayson. This is Jay.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I would be ashamed to see a player in silver n black who has been rejected by the rim on national television.

Mr. Body
06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
The Draftexpress guys were pretty high on him from the workout. They know their basketball but do tend to overrate some players. Or, at least, don't call them all correctly. (They are also very high on Scola.)

Williams' first year wasn't a bust, but he was drafted probably higher than he deserved. Judged on his own, he looks to project as a talented, productive point guard. Maybe a starter, definitely an excellent bench guy. What should be taken from the write up is that he's improved the rough edges of his game, he wants to play badly, has worked hard to get there, and most of all, has the personality of a good point.

Bruno
06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
They are also very high on Scola.

And I think they are right.
I'm not a great BB expert but after watching yesterday his last game with Tau, I find him damn good.

exstatic
06-02-2006, 06:31 PM
IIRC, he MAJORLY chafed under the motion offense in Chicago (they were still running triangle at the time). Since we run LARGE chunks of that offense, why would he prosper here? He hates that, and wants to run and dominate the ball, one of the reasons he's so high on Toronto.