PDA

View Full Version : Indiana coach Carlisle feels secure despite Bird's comments

ducks
06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Indiana coach Carlisle feels secure despite Bird's comments
By CLIFF BRUNT, Associated Press Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle doesn't feel like his job is in danger.

After the Pacers finished a 41-41 season by losing in the first round of the playoffs, team president Larry Bird said Carlisle should expect more of his players and that, at times, he lost control of the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
Carlisle has spoken with Bird and CEO Donnie Walsh since the news conference, and said Thursday he feels secure about his status.

"We've had a lot of conversations since the season ended, and all of them are optimistic," Carlisle said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "As difficult as the last few seasons have been, we all think we're a lot closer to being right back in the thick of things in the Eastern Conference than a lot of people think."

Carlisle said he never approached Bird about his comments.

"I've talked to both of those guys (Bird and Walsh) extensively and it never came up," he said. "I didn't bring it up and they didn't bring it up. Our conversations have been constructive and upbeat."

Indiana entered the season with championship aspirations, but the Ron Artest trade and injuries to Jermaine O'Neal, Peja Stojakovic, Jamaal Tinsley and others were hard to overcome. The Pacers lost to New Jersey in the first round of the playoffs.

Walsh said he carefully listened to Bird's comments and had no problem with them.

"Larry Bird made it very clear that Rick's our coach," Walsh said. "He wasn't laying anything off on Rick. He took responsibility, as well as I do, for the way our team is."

One change that will come, Walsh said, is that players will know for certain which behaviors are unacceptable. He said he will join Bird in helping Carlisle with disciplinary matters.

"I think our involvement is we set the rules on how we want the team to conduct itself and make it clear what we expect," he said.

Carlisle has a regular-season record of 146-100 in three years with the Pacers. He has made the playoffs each season and reached the Eastern Conference finals in 2004.

"I feel very good about being here and very good about what has been accomplished," he said.

ShoogarBear
06-01-2006, 09:27 PM
"Jermaine, Isiah will be your coach next year, you can be sure of that. Now sign this contract."

T Park
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
:lol no shit.

Hey, if they still don't want Stephen Jackson

Id be more than willing to ask them what it would take to get him back in black and silver.