PDA

View Full Version : How come Spurs did not sign Tim Thomas??

Jimcs50
06-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Phoenix would be dead without him signing with them in March. He is killing Dallas, had 26 pts so far( Six three pointers).

Spurs could have used him this year.

Kori Ellis
06-01-2006, 09:41 PM
He chose Phoenix.

picnroll
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
When Kurt Thomas got hurt Suns told him he'd get lots of playing time so he went with them. Otherwise he likley would have signed with the Spurs. I'm still pissed.

T Park
06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Cause, he said

"Im signing with Phoenix"

Any more gems senor jinx?

milkyway21
06-01-2006, 09:45 PM
he wants MORE MINUTES :D

Leetonidas
06-01-2006, 09:46 PM
He fits better in Phoenix and he knew that.

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 09:49 PM
He refused to consider the Spurs because he knows Pop can't coach. :rolleyes

SPARKY
06-01-2006, 09:52 PM
They tried.

Dirk Nowitzki doesn't whine after foul calls.

Solid D
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
One of the regrets of the season, in my opinion. I don't know how seriously the Spurs looked at it, but Thomas felt he had more oppty. to play in PHX.

Solid D
06-01-2006, 09:55 PM

No...just when they DON'T call them on every trip.

T Park
06-01-2006, 09:57 PM
One of the regrets of the season, in my opinion

well

if he chose phoenix and the Spurs went after him, there IMO is no regrets.

Can't talk a guy into it.

strangeweather
06-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Dirk got called for a foul? When?!

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Tim Thomas has been the Mavs MVP so far...

Game 2 - Walks thru the Mavs huddle like a thug when the Suns had control of the game...Mavs completely turn it around and blast them the rest of the way

Game 5 - Thomas calls Dirk a pussy and blows him a kiss just before halftime...Dirk blows up in the 2nd half and outscores the Suns by himself in the 4th quarter. Dirk outscored Thomas 29-0 to end the game...

The Mavs also feed off his gay hand gesture after he hits a shot...ie, see the Rockettes lame hand gesture in last year's playoffs...

Jimcs50
06-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Phoenix would be dead without him signing with them in March. He is killing Dallas, had 26 pts so far( Six three pointers).

Spurs could have used him this year.

I am a jinx.

TT had 0 pts after my post.

:depressed

Solid D
06-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Funny, I thought the Dallas halftime adjustments, failure by PHX to run and their failure to exploit the Diaw/Marion matchup with Diop out on the floor were the primary reasons Dallas won.

Thomas' 6 threes weren't too shabby last night.

Jimcs50
06-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Funny, I thought the Dallas halftime adjustments, failure by PHX to run and their failure to exploit the Diaw/Marion matchup with Diop out on the floor were the primary reasons Dallas won.

I think Pop was a halftime consultant for Phoenix.

Pandaemonaeon
06-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Because you can't see him.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5416/olyfullgetty57561977mc021phoen.jpg

SenorSpur
06-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Dude has too much "dog" in his game. He can be a superstar one minute and a scrub the next.

timvp
06-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Spurs did all they could to get him. Even trade to make a trade with the Bulls for him before he was released.

Oh well. Should have signed someone like Matt Barnes, Noel Felix, Chuck Hayes, Theron Smith or any other number of decent long threes/power forwards to matchup with Dirk.

SenorSpur
06-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Spurs did all they could to get him. Even trade to make a trade with the Bulls for him before he was released.

Oh well. Should have signed someone like Matt Barnes, Noel Felix, Chuck Hayes, Theron Smith or any other number of decent long threes/power forwards to matchup with Dirk.

Don't forget Maurice Evans. Spurs could have signed him before Detroit snagged him.

polandprzem
06-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Tell me why Finley picked SA instead of Miami huh?

BillsCarnage
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
When Kurt Thomas got hurt Suns told him he'd get lots of playing time so he went with them. Otherwise he likley would have signed with the Spurs. I'm still pissed.

That's it. He's playing for his next contract and has stepped up huge in the PO's. He would have been buried on the Spurs bench at 15-18min/game; if that.

Spurs wanted him, but it was a better situaton once KT went down.

picnroll
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Actually he would have ended up getting a ton of playing time for the Spurs and it likley would have guaranteed him and the Spurs a berth in the finals. But he and the Spurs wouldn't have known that he'd end up with all that playng time when he signed with the Suns.

SIgning Thomas for next year still wouldn't be the Spurs worst option.

MannyIsGod
06-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Cause, he said

"Im signing with Phoenix"

Any more gems senor jinx?
http://hometown.aol.com/mrjmtchr/myhomepage/parrot%20pic.jpg

Melmart1
06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
:lmao at Manny and the parrots!

AMOS7
06-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Tim Thomas is a BAD man

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-57561977mc011_phoenix_suns_.jpg

Get this done, Phoenix. Shut up Cuban.

Bob Lanier
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Don't forget Maurice Evans. Spurs could have signed him before Detroit snagged him.
With the money they spent on Michael Finley, who's three inches taller and many times the defender that Evans is (not to mention much, much, much better offensively)? They made the best choice they could.

Tim Thomas would probably be a good fit with San Antonio next year, particularly if Horry continues his downward slide. He's definitely a "long 3", and he can play decent defense every now and then.

DubMcDub
06-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Actually he would have ended up getting a ton of playing time for the Spurs and it likley would have guaranteed him and the Spurs a berth in the finals. But he and the Spurs wouldn't have known that he'd end up with all that playng time when he signed with the Suns.

SIgning Thomas for next year still wouldn't be the Spurs worst option.

Yeah...Tim Thomas was obviously the missing link in this years Spurs title quest. :lol

Spurologist
06-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah...Tim Thomas was obviously the missing link in this years Spurs title quest. :lol

I don't think the mavs are exactly stopping him. No one person will get you a ring. That's why it's called a hypothetical. Comprender?

DubMcDub
06-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't think the mavs are exactly stopping him. No one person will get you a ring. That's why it's called a hypothetical. Comprender?

What does the Mavs stopping him have anything to do with the point of this post? I'm pretty sure I never said Tim Thomas is a terrible player. I simply laughed at the absurd notion that his presence on the Spurs roster would have ensured a trip to the Finals.

Pretty funny how you try to start an argument with me over nothing, though.

strangeweather
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
If you watched the same series I did, maybe you noticed it was actually kind of close.

We were playing Finley at the 4 in order to try to match up, but Thomas has 3 inches on him and is a better rebounder. Let Finley come off the bench, have Barry back up Parker, and park NVE on the bench, and that could easily have been the difference.

We'll never know of course, and it doesn't really change anything, but it's the kind of thing we're prone to think about when we try to assemble a team to take your asses down next year.

DubMcDub
06-02-2006, 06:14 PM
If you watched the same series I did, maybe you noticed it was actually kind of close.

We were playing Finley at the 4 in order to try to match up, but Thomas has 3 inches on him and is a better rebounder. Let Finley come off the bench, have Barry back up Parker, and park NVE on the bench, and that could easily have been the difference.

We'll never know of course, and it doesn't really change anything, but it's the kind of thing we're prone to think about when we try to assemble a team to take your asses down next year.

It's quite suspect to assume that Tim Thomas would have made any difference on a Spurs team built like it was.

Besides, I'd take Finley as a starter over him 7 days a week, and not just because Finley used to be a Mav. It's really not even close.

Spurologist
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
What does the Mavs stopping him have anything to do with the point of this post? I'm pretty sure I never said Tim Thomas is a terrible player. I simply laughed at the absurd notion that his presence on the Spurs roster would have ensured a trip to the Finals.

Pretty funny how you try to start an argument with me over nothing, though.

Hello. Remember. We played against the mavs, right? Right now Thomas is playing against the mavs and playing well. Put two and two together.

strangeweather
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
It's quite suspect to assume that Tim Thomas would have made any difference on a Spurs team built like it was.

Besides, I'd take Finley as a starter over him 7 days a week, and not just because Finley used to be a Mav. It's really not even close.
Understandable. But you guys killed us on the boards. Thomas likely would have helped with that.

As I said, we'll never know.

DubMcDub
06-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello. Remember. We played against the mavs, right? Right now Thomas is playing against the mavs and playing well. Put two and two together.

Yeah, that's obviously the same. I hear the Spurs and the Suns play pretty similar styles and have pretty similar personnel :lol :lol :lol.

Plus, given the undeniable fact that Thomas has been equally good on all the other teams he's played for before the Suns, you clearly have a worthwhile point that he would have been a difference-maker for the Spurs so much so that they walk right into the NBA finals. :rolleyes

...Seriously, you need to quit being so damn desperate to try and prove me wrong about anything and everything you can find.

picnroll
06-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Excellent use of emoticoms DubMcDub. Really helps you make your argument. Fact is Spurs were essentially going with six players. Check the number of minutes logged by the starters and Finley in game seven. They also were getting very little scoring off the bench. If you don't think Thomas and his length, defense, rebounding, scoring wouldn't have likely tipped the scales in a sereis where all but one game was essentially decided by one point you better find an emoticom for "gee I'm dumb". I guess you just figure the Mavs were just plain invincible.

Spurologist
06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah, that's obviously the same. I hear the Spurs and the Suns play pretty similar styles and have pretty similar personnel :lol :lol :lol.

Plus, given the undeniable fact that Thomas has been equally good on all the other teams he's played for before the Suns, you clearly have a worthwhile point that he would have been a difference-maker for the Spurs so much so that they walk right into the NBA finals. :rolleyes

...Seriously, you need to quit being so damn desperate to try and prove me wrong about anything and everything you can find.

you can just call me the troll eradicator.

FIN would have started against the mavs and manu would have come off the bench. He would clearly have the open shots. He's hot in the playoffs, plain and simple.

DubMcDub
06-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Excellent use of emoticoms DubMcDub. Really helps you make your argument. Fact is Spurs were essentially going with six players. Check the number of minutes logged by the starters and Finley in game seven. They also were getting very little scoring off the bench. If you don't think Thomas and his length, defense, rebounding, scoring wouldn't have likely tipped the scales in a sereis where all but one game was essentially decided by one point you better find an emoticom for "gee I'm dumb". I guess you just figure the Mavs were just plain invincible.

No. Just no. :lol

I figure the Mavs were a better team than the Spurs and a scrub-ass spare like Tim Thomas (no I'm not impressed by his 26 points in a 16 point loss for his team) wouldn't have made a difference.

Thomas is a piece of shit and he's incredibly overrated. Throw some more numbers around though--he's definitely not a product of the Suns system at all. :rolleyes

exstatic
06-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Tim Thomas is a tool, albeit a talented one. He can help your team if:

1) you don't over pay him.
2) he isn't option one or two.

He's kind of like an immature Lamar Odom. I can't believe he's still pulling shit like walking thru other team's huddles.

FromWayDowntown
06-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't buy that Tim Thomas would have guaranteed a trip to the Finals.

I'm pretty sure, though, that a backup point guard who could contribute more than 1.1 ppg, 1.3 apg in 10 minutes per game would have. :)

picnroll
06-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Actually that scrubass is averaging over 16 PPG on .528 shooting against your invincible team, .577 from the three point line. Mavs' fans have gotten incredibly cocky in a hurry. Shouldn't they win at least one title before you act like annoit them the greatest?

FromWayDowntown
06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Actually that scrubass is averaging over 16 PPG on .528 shooting against your invincible team, .577 from the three point line. Mavs' fans have gotten incredibly cocky in a hurry. Shouldn't they win at least one title before you act like annoit them the greatest?

The point is, though, that the Suns system makes those opportunities for him. I'd be skeptical that the Spurs system would do the same, and I doubt that Popovich would have dramatically altered things just to accommodate Tim Thomas.

Might Thomas have helped the Spurs? Sure, it's possible. But he also might have hurt more -- he might have deprived Manu, Parker, and Finley of shots that they made and Thomas might have missed. I don't think you can assume that his numbers would be the same if he had come here -- if you could, there'd be no rational explanation for why Thomas isn't a max player and why he wasn't in greater demand after he was released (if you could explain why he was released in the first place).

picnroll
06-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Thomas is a spot up three point shooter who can shoot pretty much around the perimeter, top of key or side, particularly top of key. Spurs do pretty well on getting shots for spot up shooters. Horry his supposed conterpart on the Spurs shot .250 and .143 from the 3 against the Mavs and by his own admission is no longer quick enough to play small ball. That was the Spurs greatest failing, counting on having a small ball lineup with Horry as their second big when he could no longer get it done. Second greatest failing, but much further down the line, was having to count on Nick the Quicksand as a backup PG.

Thomas was released because they wanted to develop Deng nad Nocionni and didn't want around a disgruntled Thomas who was not getting playing time in a contract year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Mavs' fans have gotten incredibly cocky in a hurry. Shouldn't they win at least one title before you act like annoit them the greatest?

Welcome to Dallas, TX, the city that thinks it's too good for the rest of the state of Texas.