PDA

View Full Version : "Hard work" doesn't pay

JohnnyMarzetti
10-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Fighting in Iraq is 'hard work' as George W. stated in the debate recently but he's not willing to reward the soldiers for their efforts....fucking hypocrite.

Wounded Marine feels cuts; Rep. fights for full pay for injured troops
By Jill Casey
Tuesday, October 12, 2004
SAUGUS -- When Marine Lance Cpl. James Crosby was struck by enemy fire in Iraq last winter, his war duty came to an end, and so did the income that his family depended on.
Crosby sustained severe leg injuries from a piece of shrapnel that left him paralyzed from the waist down. After the March 18 incident, the Winthrop native who now lives with his wife in Saugus, underwent 14 surgeries.
He is continuing his physical recovery today, but now faces the equally daunting burden of a financial hardship, after his military pay was cut from $2,500 to $1,300 a month.
U.S. Rep Ed Markey (D-Malden) was joined by the Purple Heart honoree on
Monday morning at a press conference at Avalon at Stevens Pond in Saugus. They were in Saugus to support a bill Markey is co-sponsoring that would ensure troops wounded in combat continue to receive full pay and benefits while they recuperate from their injuries.
"We are here today, because the moment James was transported out of the combat zone in Iraq, his pay was cut immediately. He didn't stop fighting when he left the combat zone - first he was fighting for his life, and now he's fighting for his health. And he's a heck of a fighter as you all can see," Markey said.
Markey said the bill would ensure that a soldier wounded in combat would continue to be paid the same amount that a soldier still in the line of duty would receive. Markey also wants to ensure that soldiers do not lose the tax credits and pay allowances soldiers are entitled to under military wage standards, as Crosby did when he returned, Markey said.
The bill would ensure that a soldiers' pay would continue until he/she was reassigned, or discharged from the armed services.
"James eagerly wants to work to help other members of our nation's armed services that are in a similar situation," Markey said. "We are determined to fix this problem so that all of James brothers and sisters in arms will know that the additional monetary support they received for risking their lives in combat does not just disappear once they are fighting for their lives in a hospital."
Crosby has relied on friends and family to help him pay for a handicapped accessible apartment in Saugus since arriving home.
"This is a point in your life where you need all the help you can get," said Crosby, who said he intends to do everything he can to recover from the accident. "You just got to do what you got to do to make them work again and get out of bed. If I were to give up now, I wouldn't be here today. And I would be stuck in this chair my whole life."
The Crosby-Puller Combat Wounds Compensation Act is named after Crosby, and Lt. General Lewis Chesty Puller of the U.S Marines Corp, at Crosby's request. Crosby first met Markey when he was honored with a Purple Heart for his heroism, at a ceremony at a military hospital in Maryland in April.
Marky said his bill doesn't apply to veterans who have been discharged from the military. If Crosby were to be discharged from the U.S Marines, he would be eligible for Veterans benefits, which he isn't qualified for right now.
"This policy makes no sense," said Markey, about the pay cut, "the legislation that have introduced, honoring the fighting spirit of James Crosby, will correct this problem," Markey said.

Kerry, having actually been in a war would never allow our veterans to be treated this way. (http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/news/view.bg?articleid=7364)

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Kerry, having actually been in a war would never allow our veterans to be treated this way.

Well, he's had two decades in the Senate to do something about it.

JohnnyMarzetti
10-13-2004, 02:24 PM
And Dubya has been the Commander in Chief for 4 years and hasn't done squat.

But I see you can't say shit about that.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 02:29 PM
You're right. Kerry has had 16 more years than Bush to do something about this.

JohnnyMarzetti
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Kerry supports Veterans.
Perhaps if Bush were a "real" veteran he would understand.
And I still see you can't defend Bush. Thanks for proving my point.

CommanderMcBragg
10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I wanted to add something. If President Bush can spend more time on vacation than any other President in US history, at the same time extending the tours of troops eligible to retire, and extending the foreign tours of National Guardsman (who historically were meant to defend the Nation here at home while the regular troops are sent overseas, as President Bush supposedly did during the Vietnam War); exactly which part of all of this has been "hard work" for President Bush?

Not only does he not financially protect the troops and their families, he doesn't even acknowledge troop casualties or deaths.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Why didn't Kerry 'support' veterans and get this taken care of during his two decade long stint in the Senate?

You want to blame Bush for this yet Kerry was in federal office for 16 years prior and he certainly had ample opportunity to address this problem.

travis2
10-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Kerry supports Veterans.

Based on what? Hasn't done anything yet...

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Plus, to solve that problem it takes an act of Congress.

CommanderMcBragg
10-13-2004, 02:51 PM
So now it is the republican led congress' fault?

Samurai Jane
10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't understand why that guy's pay was cut so dramatically when the "imminent danger pay" raise is only what $300 a month. Somebody please explain that to me.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2004, 02:54 PM
So now it is the republican led congress' fault?

Perhaps. Of course if Kerry was an effective legislator who was doing so much for military personnel perhaps he could have gotten something done. Also, Kerry definitely was a senator when his party was the majority party (the last time was fairly recent).

ClintSquint
10-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Go ahead, make my pay.

Samurai Jane
10-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Perhaps. Of course if Kerry was an effective legislator who was doing so much for military personnel perhaps he could have gotten something done. Also, Kerry definitely was a senator when his party was the majority party (the last time was fairly recent).

Which begs another question.. how do you expect Kerry to be so effective in getting foreign allies to work with him when he was completely ineffective in getting Senators in his own country to work with him?

bigzak25
10-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Bush needs to take care of our troops financially and for there healthcare. He should be doing more. Hopefully, the issue comes up as I want to hear what he has to say about it.