PDA

View Full Version : Wolves selected Ndudi Ibi over wade and josh howard

ducks
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
One of two of the big stars of the NBA playoffs this season -- either Miami guard Dwyane Wade or Dallas forward Josh Howard -- could have been members of the Timberwolves in the 2003 draft. The Wolves talked to the Heat about including Wally Szczerbiak in a trade for the No. 5 overall pick, which Miami used to select Wade. Apparently, the Heat wasn't interested. Later in the first round, Howard was available when the Wolves selected Ndudi Ibi at No. 26. The Mavericks ended up taking Howard at No. 29. ... Free agent Marcus Banks won't play for the Wolves in the Las Vegas summer tournament, an indication the point guard won't be easy for the Wolves to re-sign.

sickdsm
06-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Nothing new there at all, that's widespread knowledge except the Banks part is somewhat new.

Let me guess, whas that Shooters' column? He's the stephen a smith of the Mps area. As much as I hate McHale, that was a pretty big risk at the time for Wade. He saw what basically NOONE else saw. As for the Banks part, i don't blame him, he doesn't want to get injured b4 his contract is signed, whereveer it may be.

JMarkJohns
06-03-2006, 03:55 PM
It's Ebi and if you saw him play in high school, you'd have picked him ahead of Howard as well. Kid has some of the best defensive instincts I've seen and has an all-around game that rivaled Garnett's of the same age. Reason he didn't go lottory was issues with his height and weight, as he measured just over 6-8 (more of a SF size) and around 190 pounds.

If he was a legit 6-10/6-11 and 215/225 pounds, he'd have been a top-10 pick.

Howard, coming out of college, did not have a good jumpshot, couldn't shoot the three at all and was a bit awkward off the dribble. He made an immediate impact becaue he was a great athlete and was smart, but I can't fault Minnesota for the pick.

pussyface
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
It's Ebi and if you saw him play in high school, you'd have picked him ahead of Howard as well. Kid has some of the best defensive instincts I've seen and has an all-around game that rivaled Garnett's of the same age. Reason he didn't go lottory was issues with his height and weight, as he measured just over 6-8 (more of a SF size) and around 190 pounds.

If he was a legit 6-10/6-11 and 215/225 pounds, he'd have been a top-10 pick.

Howard, coming out of college, did not have a good jumpshot, couldn't shoot the three at all and was a bit awkward off the dribble. He made an immediate impact becaue he was a great athlete and was smart, but I can't fault Minnesota for the pick.
gotta disagree with you on this one. im sure ebi looked to have some nice potential as a project/undersized forward, but I dont think its offbase to look back and say using that pick on him was a stretch when the ACC Player of the Year was still on the board. Howard was a truly special player in college, with obvious upside especially to his unusual length/defensive skills.

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
gotta disagree with you on this one. im sure ebi looked to have some nice potential as a project/undersized forward, but I dont think its offbase to look back and say using that pick on him was a stretch when the ACC Player of the Year was still on the board. Howard was a truly special player in college, with obvious upside especially to his unusual length/defensive skills.
I'm certainly not knocking Howard, but I think it's pretty obvious that not many people saw him coming at the time, or he would have gone a lot sooner.

pussyface
06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
yeah...but how did they miss him???
really weird, i agree. How does a guy who's the best player in the best conference in basketball as a senior fly so under the radar?

the teams that passed on him late in the first should feel stupid.

JMarkJohns
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Shocking. Pussyface taking exception with a post of mine. LMAO...

JMarkJohns
06-05-2006, 05:08 PM
However, it's all just speculation. As someone who saw plenthy of each player upon entering the draft, I can't fault Minnesota for taking him. He had lottory skills, first-round size and an undrafted attitude. Obviously we know what won out. Howard had lottory athleticism and mediocre skills coming in. Again, we know he was the ACC POY, but that doesn't mean that much in the board scheme of things. PJ Tucker is the Big12 POY and he's scratching and clawing for a top-40 selection.

This is my opinion. You have yours. Neither is right or wrong.

Shank
06-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Eh, it happens.

Ask the Trailblazers and Sam Bowie.

pussyface
06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
whoa jmark... i was just giving my opinion, not saying you were wrong.

...just talkin bball here.

i will take some exception though to you comparing this years big 12 to the acc the year jho came out.

tucker is one thing, howard another.

JMarkJohns
06-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I felt your point was a major conference POY should be drafted higher. Like I said, when it's all said and done, both Howard and Tucker will likely end up being drafted late first.

It's a crap shoot, for sure. Some draft on potential, others on impact.

Sometimes you get burned either way.

No doubt Howard is the better player now and probably upon entering the draft. However, back then, Ebi was the better prospect.

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah...but how did they miss him???
really weird, i agree. How does a guy who's the best player in the best conference in basketball as a senior fly so under the radar?

the teams that passed on him late in the first should feel stupid.
I think teams saw Howard as a basically sound role player with no upside, and teams tend to focus too much on upside at the draft.

Among other things, I don't think anyone ever thought he would consistently be able to score in the NBA. And really, I think the reason he can is because he has put in an unearthly amount of effort and practice time since he came to the Mavs.

Mavtek
06-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Howard was our lucky draft, as were Manu and Parker for you guys.

sickdsm
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
McHale is still being rediculed for taking Wally over Marion but AT THAT TIME, it would have been gaspworthy to do that swap.

There will be plenty more Arenas's in our day. Now if you gamble on a player when there's a better one on board and that one also develops better, there goes your GM'ing career.