PDA

View Full Version : SJax: playing w/JON like being w/Duncan again

ducks
10-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Jackson Quickly Weaving into Team Fabric

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_jackson_041006.html
By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 6, 2004

Among the many things the Pacers are learning about the new guy is this: Stephen Jackson isn’t the kind of guy who waits to be introduced. Because of his outgoing, engaging and intense presence, Jackson has woven himself quickly into the fabric of the team.
If there was any uncertainty in the locker room about the price paid to acquire Jackson from Atlanta – forward Al Harrington -- it exists no longer.

“I love Al to death, like a brother,” said Jermaine O’Neal. “It was a situation where he wanted to be the guy on a team and that’s a perfect situation for him. Wins and losses is a whole other argument, but if we were going to trade a guy like Al Harrington it had to be for a guy like Stephen Jackson.

“He brings a lot of toughness like Al did but he brings it another position, the 2-3 combo rather than the 3-4 combo. That’s kind of where Al got caught up, playing behind me and Ron. I think it’s going to be one of those situations where we can go real big at multiple positions. We can throw a lot of bodies that can cause huge matchup problems for a lot of teams.”

The players have embraced Jackson not only for his personality, but what he can mean on the court. A slashing scorer with a propensity for taking big shots with the game on the line, he promises to strengthen the backcourt both offensively and defensively.

“I think it only makes us a better team,” said Reggie Miller. “The ultimate goal is to build a team that can potentially win a championship. I’ve played against him for a number of years, and I understand what he can do on the floor, and that’s only going to help us ultimately become the best team.

“You know, I’ve seen the other teams in our division, and Detroit added some pieces, especially at the shooting guard and small forward. We have to keep up with the Joneses. Right now we’re chasing them. They are the team to beat. We feel we are the better team, and I think adding him will only help us out.”

Because Jackson was the lone major acquisition of the offseason, it could be interpreted that there is a high level of expectation for him to push the team to another level in the postseason. He doesn’t shy away from that pressure.

“I make love to pressure,” he said. “I’ve been doing that my whole career. Pressure finds me. I caress pressure. I love pressure. This is what I was put on this Earth to do, so bring it on. I’m ready for it.”

A starter all of last season, when he averaged a career-high 18.1 points with Atlanta, and most of the previous season in San Antonio, Jackson has willingly accepted a backup role behind Miller. The 26-year-old shows an unusual maturity for a young veteran, perhaps borne from the path he had to take to get here. Three years after being drafted in the second round by Phoenix in 1997, Jackson finally broke into the league in 2000. Three years after that, he had won his first NBA championship ring as a key role-player for San Antonio.

He has seen both the depths and the heights of the professional basketball world, and understands that any role on a contender is more desirable than a leading role on a lottery team.

“Going from San Antonio to Atlanta was a setback, but it was also a blessing in disguise,” Jackson said. “To come here and play with Jermaine O’Neal feels like I’m with Tim Duncan again. I honestly feel better than the way I felt coming into the year we won a championship in San Antonio.

“I’m just excited, man, because this is something I want to be a part of. I’ve got a great opportunity to learn from Reggie. This is a chance of a lifetime for me that I’ve got to take advantage of and I’m ready to get started.”

Jackson emerged as an explosive scorer last season, averaging 27.3 points in the final 10 games of the season. He expects to assume a more general-purpose role with the Pacers, who have O’Neal and Ron Artest as the primary scorers.

“My role in Atlanta was scoring,” he said. “Here, I have to do a lot of little things. We have two All-Stars and a Hall-of-Famer so my goal is to do the little things that help us win games. Regardless of whatever it is, I’m willing to do it.”

Jackson’s leadership skills and infectious personality have impressed Coach Rick Carlisle.

Carlisle

“He’s been a player at the championship level, and that was a huge factor with us pursuing the opportunity to get him,” he said. “He’s a good pressure player. He’s hit big shots at the championship level. And he’s a guy who brings great energy.

“He’s going to juice our locker room, we think. He’s going to push the guys on our team to get better and that’s what being a top team is about.”

A lot of guys say they’re willing to do whatever they can to help the team win. Jackson is all about backing it up.

“I’m going to knock somebody out for Jermaine,” he said. “I’m going knock somebody out for Ron, just like I’d knock somebody out for the guys on I.R. I’m willing to give everything I can for this team.”

As the Pacers already are learning, this is a guy with a lot to give.