PDA

View Full Version : Mavs will ask NBA to review Marion elbow

ducks
06-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Notebook: Mavs will ask NBA to review Marion elbow

12:26 AM CDT on Friday, June 2, 2006
From Staff Reports

The Mavericks will ask the league to review an elbow thrown by the Phoenix Suns' Shawn Marion early in the fourth quarter.

TNT replays seemed to show Marion catching the Mavericks' Adrian Griffin in the face or neck area.

"We'll see what the league says. Who knows?" Cuban said. "It's not like throwing a punch. ... But Griff came up to us and said, 'He got me good. Is there anything we can do?'

At that point, Cuban decided to send a video clip to the NBA.

"Marion, I've got a lot of respect for him," Griffin said. "He plays hard, and I was just playing hard defense. Sometimes, emotions get the best of us. ... He caught me a little bit in the chin. We'll see."

Chuck Carlton

Mavericks continue to make adjustments
The Mavericks had planned on making the adjustment, anyway, but when Devin Harris picked up two fouls in the first four minutes, it facilitated the Mavs' game plan of not playing Harris and Jason Terry together for long stretches.

That tandem had been very effective in the San Antonio series. Against the Suns, not so much.

Avery Johnson wanted to get Jerry Stackhouse on the court with either Terry or Harris but not both, and he stuck with that rotation through the first half, partially because Harris remained in foul trouble.

Eddie Sefko

Phoenix technicals spur Mavericks' run
If there was a turning point in Game 5, it came after Phoenix guard Raja Bell was called for a foul against a driving Josh Howard with 8:55 remaining and the Mavericks leading, 89-88.

Bell picked up a technical foul for arguing the play, and that was followed by another called on Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni. Dirk Nowitzki made both free throws, beginning a 28-10 run.

"One technical can change a game," Mavericks swingman Adrian Griffin said. "But if you get two, that's two points and the ball. That's a big momentum swing."

A good ribbing never hurt anybody
Dirk Nowitzki has been getting an earful from his teammates for the last couple of days.

Sort of.

The star took some good-natured ribbing about his 11-point outing in Game 4.

"Everybody kind of got on him," Josh Howard said. "Everybody had a say. But Dirk's good at taking criticism."

Eddie Sefko

Suns' offense grinds to a first-quarter halt
Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said he wanted his team to take shots seven to 10 seconds into possessions in an attempt to dictate tempo. The Mavericks defense had other ideas in Game 5.

The Suns were called for three 24-second violations in the first 8:29, one of the contributing factors as the Mavericks built an early 10-point lead.

Chuck Carlton

Thomas, Nowitzki receive technical fouls
Dirk Nowitzki of the Mavericks and Tim Thomas of the Suns were assessed a double technical with 40.9 seconds remaining in the first half.

The two jawed at each other for several seconds, and Thomas appeared to blow a kiss to Nowitzki at the end.

At halftime, Suns assistant coach Alvin Gentry exchanged words with referee Jack Nies as the teams left the court.

Chuck Carlton

Bell feeling better, still not 100 percent
Raja Bell said he was making progress in his recovery from a partially torn left calf muscle.

He estimated that he was 75 percent before his dramatic return in Game 4 and about 85 percent before Game 5.

But Bell didn't have the initial impact in Game 5 that he did in Phoenix. He missed his first two shots before hitting a 3-pointer and drawing an offensive foul from Jerry Stackhouse.

Chuck Carlton

Dinner for two: Nash, Nowitzki have plans
Phoenix guard Steve Nash said he and buddy Dirk Nowitzki have continued their tradition of dinner on the days between games.

Nash even had Nowitzki to his house in Phoenix before Game 4. But basketball is off limits, for the most part.

"Sometimes you can't help it," Nash said, "but not so much about our series."

Chuck Carlton

Briefly ...
With Game 5, the Mavs made only their second playoff appearance in June. Games 6 and 7 of the 1988 Western Conference finals against the LA Lakers came in June, with the series ending June 4. ... Devin Harris picked up two fouls in the first 3:16 trying to defend Steve Nash and was replaced by Jerry Stackhouse. Harris' third came with 9:07 remaining in the first half, again guarding Nash. ... The Mavs also used Jason Terry and Darrell Armstrong against Nash in the first half. ... The Mavs made only one of their first seven shots.
http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/bi/gold_print.cgi

BillsCarnage
06-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Notebook: Mavs will ask NBA to review Marion elbow..

The Mavericks will ask the league to review an elbow thrown by the Phoenix Suns' Shawn Marion early in the fourth quarter.

It's the fookin PO's for cryin out loud!!

06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
"Marion, I've got a lot of respect for him," Griffin said. "He plays hard, and I was just playing hard defense. Sometimes, emotions get the best of us. ... He caught me a little bit in the chin. We'll see."

So the league is supposed to review the play and do what? Suspend Marion for catching Griffin a little bit in the chin?

Let me know how that works out for you, Cuban. :rolleyes

MadDog73
06-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Wait, wasn't Cuban complaining about the Spurs sending the punch in?

I guess it's OK when he does it...

shelshor
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
:madrun Typical whining BS from Cuban and the Mavs :madrun

BillsCarnage
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
So the league is supposed to review the play and do what? Suspend Marion for catching Griffin a little bit in the chin?

No, it means that Cuban will bitch and whine to the league and force the refs to call closer fouls - probably more in the Mavs favor. The Refs probably get tired of Stern calling them saying, "Well Mark send it another tape, lets review it..."

The refs as a whole have to be getting tired of that.

mabber
06-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Assess him a flagrant foul. Every friggin team does this but Cuban just admits to it. I agree, that's it's the playoffs and is silly but all teams do this crap. Players only get so many flagrant fouls before they get suspended for a game. I could halfway understand it with any team but the Suns. No player on the Suns is ever gonna get too many flagrant fouls on him. They play very soft just like the Mavs used to.

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Marion should get at least 6 games...way worse than what DJ Moose did!!

ace3g
06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Marion should get at least 6 games...way worse than what DJ Moose did!!

Leonard that is gay, you want the suns to lose one of their best players, you definitely want the *************** going your way this year in the playoffs; its not like the elbow was intentional, like a certain mavs player who punched a certain spurs player in the nuts, and he only got suspended for 1 game, so are you saying that a punch to the nuts only deserves a 1 game suspension but a inadvertant elbow deserves 6? Come on Leonard, think straight

mabber
06-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Leonard that is gay, you want the suns to lose one of their best players, you definitely want the *************** going your way this year in the playoffs; its not like the elbow was intentional, like a certain mavs player who punched a certain spurs player in the nuts, and he only got suspended for 1 game, so are you saying that a punch to the nuts only deserves a 1 game suspension but a inadvertant elbow deserves 6? Come on Leonard, think straight

I'm pretty sure Leonard was kidding

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Leonard was kidding

:lol

:fro

Holmes_Fans
06-02-2006, 01:04 PM
:madrun Typical whining BS from Cuban and the Mavs :madrun
Because spurs fans never whine about anything. This is the first tape Cuban has sent in since the rockets series last year. Teams send it tapes all the time. You spurs fans are fucking idiots, it's hilarious how you bash a team and your own team does the exact same thing. The whining, the sending in tapes, people in SA media bashing Dallas which is why Cuba said stuff about the riverwalk.

Trainwreck2100
06-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Because spurs fans never whine about anything. This is the first tape Cuban has sent in since the rockets series last year. Teams send it tapes all the time. You spurs fans are fucking idiots, it's hilarious how you bash a team and your own team does the exact same thing. The whining, the sending in tapes, people in SA media bashing Dallas which is why Cuba said stuff about the riverwalk.

huh?

JHoLove
06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
This is so dumb. They were just fighting for position.

ballhog
06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
No call. Didn't Nash catch an elbow in game 4?

Shank
06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
huh?

It's actually true. After the Terry suspension, Cuban came out and said he had not sent in a tape since the Rockets series last year (Yao's screens tape).

Trainwreck2100
06-02-2006, 01:39 PM
It's actually true. After the Terry suspension, Cuban came out and said he had not sent in a tape since the Rockets series last year (Yao's screens tape).

Just because Cube's says he doesn't, doesn't mean Dallas hasn't.

Shank
06-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Just because Cube's says he doesn't, doesn't mean Dallas hasn't.

Oh, that's very true. I'm sure they send in the same number of tapes as every other team. The myth of Cuban's massive tape mailings needs to be dispelled, though. I'd love to see something Seinfeld-esque where Cuban accidentally puts a copy of "Cabana Boys 3: Shower Time" in a case addressed to the league.

1Parker1
06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
:lol I love how Cuban called the Spurs whiners for reporting the Finley/Terry incident the NBA, when he's now doing the same exact thing.

BillsCarnage
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
The myth of Cuban's massive tape mailings needs to be dispelled, though.

Only Cube can dispell this. He makes such a big deal about it - more than any other owner.

There is a notion around the league (fans, refs, players, coaches, etc) that when a questionable call is made, or not made, Cuban is going to send a tape in. He's his own worse enemy at times.

Shank
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
He's doing it because Griff and some of the coaches likely wanted to. If it wasn't for that, I don't think he'd be taking the time to be criticized by everyone for wanting to send in a tape. The Terry/Fin thing was a little more evident and really, I don't think anything will come from this.

pache100
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
No, it means that Cuban will bitch and whine to the league and force the refs to call closer fouls - probably more in the Mavs favor.

BINGO.

This is the first tape Cuban has sent in since the rockets series last year.

That is not true. Have you been under a rock since then?

Then he was lying. Not surprisingly.

Only Cube can dispell this. He makes such a big deal about it - more than any other owner.

There is a notion around the league (fans, refs, players, coaches, etc) that when a questionable call is made, or not made, Cuban is going to send a tape in. He's his own worse enemy at times.

He may not be actually physically mailing the tapes in...but I don't see the difference in him calling up the league and requesting that they review tape. In a way, that's even more chickenshit...because then he can stand up there and say, "I haven't mailed any tapes in since the Houston series last year."; and the Mavericks fans eat that shit up like candy. Gullible idiots.

RonMexico
06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
I've watched the play over and over again - I still see no elbow to neck/face contact and I'm not just being a homer. What I do see is Griffin pushing Marion and staring him down after the whistle was blown, which is the same reason Raja Bell received a technical later in the quarter... C'mon, Mark, when newfound Mavs homers Steve Kerr and Doug Collins are saying that you don't have a case with that play, then you can be a little off-base...

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I've watched the play over and over again - I still see no elbow to neck/face contact and I'm not just being a homer. What I do see is Griffin pushing Marion and staring him down after the whistle was blown, which is the same reason Raja Bell received a technical later in the quarter... C'mon, Mark, when newfound Mavs homers Steve Kerr and Doug Collins are saying that you don't have a case with that play, then you can be a little off-base...

LMAO..."staring him down"... :lol

RonMexico
06-02-2006, 02:01 PM
LMAO..."staring him down"... :lol

What's so funny about an objective observation? Here... give me your address - I'll send you the clip...

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
What's so funny about an objective observation? Here... give me your address - I'll send you the clip...

I saw the game man...the last thing Griffin did was stare him down. He just has bug-eyes like Tim Duncan...

JMarkJohns
06-02-2006, 02:07 PM
There's a little rhyme I remember from my Sunday School days...

It went something like this.

"Sin is a monster of such great means, that but to be hated, first has to be seen. But seen to often, with familier a face, first we endure, then pity, then embrace."

It's a little corny, but it fits here. When Cuban first broke onto the scene, his constant babbling about the refs only seemed to bring about scorn and punishment from the League's office. That was the first step of endure. For the last couple years, those fines have been lessoned while the bitch sessons have become more and more abundant. It seems after every single game there's something knew Cuban is complaining about, yet those $500,000 dollar fines aren't being assessed any longer. This is the second step of pity. For the last two series, it's become pretty clear that unless Dallas holds a lopsided edge in FT attempts, Cuban says the reffing was atrocious. Any non-Mavs fan could watch last night's game and count a total of 10 or more times the Mavericks got the "close" calls and yet Cuban is still looking to fix something. This is the final step. Seems the League can't figure out what to do with Cuban, so it is appeasing him. He's officially (pun intended) embraced.

RonMexico
06-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I saw the game man...the last thing Griffin did was stare him down. He just has bug-eyes like Tim Duncan...

I don't think you did - I'll forward it to you when I send it to the league office... you don't have to be a homer to realize it was a stare-down... what's next, you're going to tell me that Dirk isn't sticking his tongue out but he's actually part German Shepard and can't help it?

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think you did - I'll forward it to you when I send it to the league office... you don't have to be a homer to realize it was a stare-down... what's next, you're going to tell me that Dirk isn't sticking his tongue out but he's actually part German Shepard and can't help it?

Dirk does stick his tongue out...

The last thing GRIFFIN would do is stare somebody down :lol

He was just trying to look innocent in the situation, since he and SM were going at it. A stare down is something people do out of anger, or with the intent to intimidate...definitely doesn't apply here, holmes...

pache100
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
what's next, you're going to tell me that Dirk isn't sticking his tongue out but he's actually part German Shepard and can't help it?

:lmao

RonMexico
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Dirk does stick his tongue out...

The last thing GRIFFIN would do is stare somebody down :lol

He was just trying to look innocent in the situation, since he and SM were going at it. A stare down is something people do out of anger, or with the intent to intimidate...definitely doesn't apply here, holmes...

His entire point was intimidation!! I'm a lazy stoner college student and your stupidity is almost motivating me enough to take the time to get the video off my tivo, take a screen shot, and post it on here for you... His first point was intimidation and then his second point was "I'm a huge fat bitch... wahhhhh, he got me good, Mark, he got me good! :( Let's send a tape!"

mabber
06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm a lazy stoner college student and your stupidity is almost motivating me enough to take the time to the video off my tivo, take a screen shot, and post it on here for you

Don't do it, just sit back and take another bong hit :lol :hat

RonMexico
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Don't do it, just sit back and take another bong hit :lol :hat

1 step ahead of you... :smokin :smokin :elephant :spin

LEONARD
06-02-2006, 02:29 PM
His entire point was intimidation!! I'm a lazy stoner college student and your stupidity is almost motivating me enough to take the time to get the video off my tivo, take a screen shot, and post it on here for you... His first point was intimidation and then his second point was "I'm a huge fat bitch... wahhhhh, he got me good, Mark, he got me good! :( Let's send a tape!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol