PDA

View Full Version : Theory on why we might have gone small-ball...

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 06:31 PM
You think Duncan went to Pop and suggested it?

I was thinking about it on the way home today. Maybe the combination of his foot problems, along with his lack of confidence in Nazr/Rasho made him think the best chance for him to be effective in the games was to have smaller players around him?

Maybe it wasn't Pop's idea. Pop's always been a twin towers guy. A "we play our way, so we'll win or lose our way" type of person, no? Just a thought.

Fabbs
06-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Just the opposite.
I was wondering if Duncan or any of the other 2003 and 2005 Champs went to Pop and said "can we give ball movement offense a try?"

Along with "Can we at least try tall ball Nazr/Rash for a spell and see if it works?"

Solid D
06-02-2006, 06:38 PM
It was all about who can guard Dirk. Are you new here Please_Don't_Clone_Me?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Just the opposite.
I was wondering if Duncan or any of the other 2003 and 2005 Champs went to Pop and said "can we give ball movement offense a try?"

Along with "Can we at least try tall ball Nazr/Rash for a spell and see if it works?"

I think if he said that, Pop would listen.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 06:45 PM

But in the past, we've never gone small-ball against the Dirk-led Mavs. What changed this year? I think it was a combination of Duncan's foot injury and not being able to keep up, as well as lack of confidence in Rasho/Nazr. I don't see Pop making a decision like that, he had to have people in his ear...like PJ and Duncan.

I've been around a while. I'm mostly in "the club" section b/c I can't handle the same old shit regurgitated in this section. Was on SpursReport before that as "northeastsida63" years ago.

Solid D
06-02-2006, 07:18 PM
It's been explained before but Dirk has upped his level of play. Tim got into foul trouble defending Dirk, therefore, Tim ended up on Diop/Dampier. Horry got into foul trouble guarding Dirk out on the floor. Rasho and Nazr couldn't guard Dirk out on the floor. Bowen and Fin could keep up with Dirk out on the floor without fouling, at least.

Malik Rose used to do a nice job on him and then Malik was a nice threat on offense, too.

Dirk was the whole reason the Spurs had to go small. The only thing the Spurs could try with 2 Bigs was either a zone (which didn't work) or the other big besides Tim trying to guard Howard or Stack. No-workie.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
It's been explained before but Dirk has upped his level of play. Tim got into foul trouble defending Dirk, therefore, Tim ended up on Diop/Dampier. Horry got into foul trouble guarding Dirk out on the floor. Rasho and Nazr couldn't guard Dirk out on the floor. Bowen and Fin could keep up with Dirk out on the floor without fouling, at least.

Malik Rose used to do a nice job on him and then Malik was a nice threat on offense, too.

Dirk was the whole reason the Spurs had to go small. The only thing the Spurs could try with 2 Bigs was either a zone (which didn't work) or the other big besides Tim trying to guard Howard or Stack. No-workie.

He has "upped" his play? If anything that upp'ing involved him being more of a post player. That should play into Timmy's hands, no? Also I think his upp'ing had more to do on the defensive end of the court.

I agree about Rose. He used to guard Dirk as well as anyone in the league.

I would rather have tried a zone. We don't play zone, but we dont' play small ball either. At least if we played zone we'd have 2 bigs in the game. I know it's harder to rebound ini a zone, but I don't care what you say Nazr/Ras > Finley/Bowen when going up for a rebound...boxed out, or not.

Solid D
06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
He wasn't a post player in the series, PDBM. They lifted Dirk and ran high screen/rolls all game long, every game. When the Spurs switched, and Dirk had an iso on a small player, that's when Dirk went to the mid or low block.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 07:28 PM
He wasn't a post player in the series, PDBM. They lifted Dirk and ran high screen/rolls all game long, every game. When the Spurs switched, and Dirk had an iso on a small player, that's when Dirk went to the mid or low block.

The majority of his shots were little turn around 12 footers.

In fact that's what so many people praised. His ability to finally play with his back to the basket. And his ability to make that little 12 footer almost every time.

Solid D
06-02-2006, 07:33 PM
If that's your take, then you aren't watching closely enough to what was and is going on with Dirk. He's not backing down a Big. He's going to the block when he has a small on him and he's lifted when he has a Big on him (out on the floor/lifted means beyond 15 feet or on the perimeter).

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 07:36 PM
If that's your take, then you aren't watching closely enough to what was and is going on with Dirk. He's not backing down a Big. He's going to the block when he has a small on him and he's lifted when he has a Big on him (out on the floor/lifted means beyond 15 feet or on the perimeter).

I love that argument. "You don't watch enough basketball".

I think I've watched about as much basketball as 90% of the people on these forums. If he's "lifted" why did he go something like 1-8 for 3's in the Spurs series?

Also, exactly when did you see him being "lifted" when he was being guarded by a big in our series. Other than the first half of the first game we pretty much played a small on him the whole series.

In the Grizzlies series it was Battier on him most the series. He's just a more physical Bowen.

Solid D
06-02-2006, 07:50 PM
My statement wasn't you don't watch enough basketball, it was that you aren't watching closely enough. The Mavs ran high and side screen/rolls with Dirk lifted time and time again. Whenever the Spurs switched, Dirk would shoot a mid-range over the smaller player or take the player to the mid-post or low-post.

Now the Spurs countered that in games 5, 6, and 7 by doubling Dirk when he got the ball inside 15 feet to get the ball out of his hands. It was somewhat effective when the other role players didn't convert on their chances. It allowed the Spurs to come back to tie the series.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I was thinking about it on the way home today. Maybe the combination of his foot problems, along with his lack of confidence in Nazr/Rasho made him think the best chance for him to be effective in the games was to have smaller players around him?

Right, a guy with a sore foot thought that getting into an up and down running game with average scores of 120-117 was a good idea :rolleyes

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
My statement wasn't you don't watch enough basketball, it was that you aren't watching closely enough. The Mavs ran high and side screen/rolls with Dirk lifted time and time again. Whenever the Spurs switched, Dirk would shoot a mid-range over the smaller player or take the player to the mid-post or low-post.

Now the Spurs countered that in games 5, 6, and 7 by doubling Dirk when he got the ball inside 15 feet to get the ball out of his hands. It was somewhat effective when the other role players didn't convert on their chances. It allowed the Spurs to come back to tie the series.

I think I watch it rather closely.

The original point was "I think it's about who can guard Dirk". In the past his game was more run-and-gun and he would spot up for 3's much more. This year his game is mostly inside the arc.

So if we didn't go small in the past, why did we go small now? I think we could've kept our bigs in there and put whoever wasn't on Dirk on Josh Howard or Diop, or another player (besides Terry/Harris) who you're not really afraid will just torch you. We did that against the Suns (as people have pointed out...with Duncan on Q Rich) and that worked well.

Why did we change our identity now, when we never have before? It just baffles me. It's easy to look at this in hindsight, I'm not questioning Pop or anything...but I'm thinking maybe this was more Duncan's decision than it was Pops. I don't see Pop changing our style of play now when he never has before.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Right, a guy with a sore foot thought that getting into an up and down running game with average scores of 120-117 was a good idea :rolleyes

Maybe he thought him being effective, regardless the score, gave the Spurs the best chance to win.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Have to go to a dinner. Will reply when I get back, Solid D.

Solid D
06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Okay, no problem.

If you have a DVR or VHS recording of any of the Spurs/Mavs games, review some of the two-man game plays the Mavs ran. The high screen/rolls or pick and pops and how the Spurs handled them. They tried lots of different techniques and players.

Then let's talk again, so that we can at least agree on what the Mavs were doing with Dirk.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe he thought him being effective, regardless the score, gave the Spurs the best chance to win.

Okay, lemme rephrase. Do you think a guy with a bum wheel thought he could be most effective when constantly being asked to get out and run in 120-117 games?

boutons_
06-02-2006, 08:36 PM
"with a bum wheel "

Already at the end of the season, and clearly shown in his monstrous playoff output, Tim's PF had diminished to insignificance.

Slinkyman
06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Okay, lemme rephrase. Do you think a guy with a bum wheel thought he could be most effective when constantly being asked to get out and run in 120-117 games?

Tim had 32/11 and 2.5 block per game against dallas, do you really think he was working with a 'bum wheel'?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey, I'm just working off the OP's post.

Maybe the combination of his foot problems

Solid D
06-03-2006, 12:16 AM
I just watched quite a bit of Game 6. Dirk set up on the perimeter most of the time and worked from there via screens/rolls or pops. Finley and Bowen defended him most of the time.

Most people who wanted the Spurs to go with 2 Bigs, and go with the look that got them where they are, base that on offensive basketball strategy. The 2-Bigs proponents say...let Dallas get theirs, but "make Dallas adjust to us" when "we" are on offense.

The problem I have with that is how do you get stops? Getting stops is the key to winning close games, isn't it? With Dirk on the floor and the complement of scorers around Dirk, it's tough to play with 2 Bigs against the Mavs unless the "other" Big besides Tim is mobile. If you don't have quick feet against Dirk, you are most likely going to foul trying to keep him from going by you. Horry said he felt like a dinosaur out on the perimeter.

Oh and another thing, the Spurs have had trouble with 2 Bigs against Dallas in years past. In 2003 when the Spurs beat the Mavs in 6 games, the Spurs played Malik Rose twice as many minutes as David Robinson. In game 6, Malik defended Dirk and played 32 minutes, while D-Rob cheered and played 16 minutes.

If you want to say focus on offense and hope the Spurs can outscore Dallas, I guess you could try it and see, but I don't really think it would work against Dallas like it did against PHX, a team that doesn't even try to get stops.

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 12:17 AM
So bring Malik back.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I just watched quite a bit of Game 6. Dirk set up on the perimeter most of the time and worked from there via screens/rolls or pops. Finley and Bowen defended him most of the time.

Most people who wanted the Spurs to go with 2 Bigs, and go with the look that got them where they are, base that on offensive basketball strategy. The 2-Bigs proponents say...let Dallas get theirs, but "make Dallas adjust to us" when "we" are on offense.

The problem I have with that is how do you get stops? Getting stops is the key to winning close games, isn't it? With Dirk on the floor and the complement of scorers around Dirk, it's tough to play with 2 Bigs against the Mavs unless the "other" Big besides Tim is mobile. If you don't have quick feet against Dirk, you are most likely going to foul trying to keep him from going by you. Horry said he felt like a dinosaur out on the perimeter.

Oh and another thing, the Spurs have had trouble with 2 Bigs against Dallas in years past. In 2003 when the Spurs beat the Mavs in 6 games, the Spurs played Malik Rose twice as many minutes as David Robinson. In game 6, Malik defended Dirk and played 32 minutes, while D-Rob cheered and played 16 minutes.

If you want to say focus on offense and hope the Spurs can outscore Dallas, I guess you could try it and see, but I don't really think it would work against Dallas like it did against PHX, a team that doesn't even try to get stops.

Have we gone small ball in the past? Malik doesn't count. He's a different defender than Finley/Bowen.

Malike played more minutes because DRob's back wasn't 100%. If DRob was healthy and had his mobility you think Malik would have played as much?

As for it being about offense, it totally is not. It's about rebounding and defense. Those 2 things defined the Spurs before this series. We did that with 2 bigs. We've done that since we got Duncan. Hell we even went to 3 bigs. But we never went to just 1 big. Even when DRob retired. Why in the hell did we fuck with that this late in the season? I just don't get it.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
So bring Malik back.

Sure.

If he promises to donate half of his yearly salary back to our salary cap. :fro

Solid D
06-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Pop does need to evaluate what style he wants to play to get out of the West. Once the Spurs get out of the West, their Bigs come in handy as Mohammed did in 2005. They would come in handy vs. Miami.

Basketball has been moving to smaller lineups in general. Look at the NCAAs the past few years. Illinois had a 3-guard lineup against a not-so big UNC in the Finals (Scott May isn't that big). Villanova went with 4-guards and upset a Big Florida in the 2nd round (2005). In 2006, Florida (Noah inside, Brewer outside) and LSU had size, but very mobile size and therefore, they were able to give small-ball a bit of a set-back.

There is a place for size and defense at the top of basketball, but only if that size can move.

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 12:33 AM
The Spurs have the guys who can give up fouls on Shaq and Rasho is enough for Yao. At this point Mohammed is superfluous.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Pop does need to evaluate what style he wants to play to get out of the West. Once the Spurs get out of the West, their Bigs come in handy as Mohammed did in 2005. They would come in handy vs. Miami.

Basketball has been moving to smaller lineups in general. Look at the NCAAs the past few years. Illinois had a 3-guard lineup against a not-so big UNC in the Finals (Scott May isn't that big). Villanova went with 4-guards and upset a Big Florida in the 2nd round (2005). In 2006, Florida (Noah inside, Brewer outside) and LSU had size, but very mobile size and therefore, they were able to give small-ball a bit of a set-back.

There is a place for size and defense at the top of basketball, but only if that size can move.

Sean May*

I think we need to stick with the 2 bigs. Make Dallas adjust to us.

ploto
06-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Hate to beat a dead horse- alot has to do with who else Dallas has on the floor. In game 1, Avery stuck with Griffin- who was not an offensive threat whatsoever, and we often "hid" a big guy on him. When AJ switched his line-up, it would not work for two bigs out there. Are you really proposing a line-up where Nazr covers Dirk or Howard??

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Hate to beat a dead horse- alot has to do with who else Dallas has on the floor. In game 1, Avery stuck with Griffin- who was not an offensive threat whatsoever, and we often "hid" a big guy on him. When AJ switched his line-up, it would not work for two bigs out there. Are you really proposing a line-up where Nazr covers Dirk or Howard??

I would rather have Nazr on Howard than play small ball.

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 12:47 AM
The argument for the 2nd big is that at least you have another rebounder on the floor. Dirk goes off, but at least you aren't as weak on the glass and in the interior.

Solid D
06-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Sean May*

Yeah, Scott was Sean's dad. Sorry.

I think we need to stick with the 2 bigs. Make Dallas adjust to us.

That's offense-only thinking. So how and why would that strategy work?

Please_dont_ban_me
The argument for the 2nd big is that at least you have another rebounder on the floor. Dirk goes off, but at least you aren't as weak on the glass and in the interior.

Not to mention that's our style of play. Our identity.

Please_dont_ban_me
That's offense-only thinking. So how and why would that strategy work?

The same way it did last year?

Solid D
06-03-2006, 12:52 AM
They didn't play Dallas in the playoffs last year. The Spurs beat PHX because PHX played no defense whatsoever, as I mentioned before.

Case in point, the report from last year's WCFs with the Suns
http://www.nba.com/games/20050601/SASPHO/recap.html

"For us to beat them (the Suns), we have to make some stops because we are not as good as them offensively," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They are better than us offensively, so that's what they try to do."

Nazr Mohammed played only 17 minutes in the close-out game and Rasho was a DNP. Spurs played small-ball. The more Stephen Hunter played the more Nazr played, the less Hunter played, the less Nazr played. Spurs played small with the Suns but got the stops when they needed to.

ploto
06-03-2006, 01:03 AM
I would rather have Nazr on Howard than play small ball.
:lmao :lmao
You realize Howard went off when Tim guarded him this season and you want to put Nazr on him!!

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 01:41 AM
:lmao :lmao
You realize Howard went off when Tim guarded him this season and you want to put Nazr on him!!

Nazr's elbows are Mutombo'esque. :D Plus he has good wheels.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 01:43 AM
They didn't play Dallas in the playoffs last year. The Spurs beat PHX because PHX played no defense whatsoever, as I mentioned before.

Case in point, the report from last year's WCFs with the Suns
http://www.nba.com/games/20050601/SASPHO/recap.html

"For us to beat them (the Suns), we have to make some stops because we are not as good as them offensively," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They are better than us offensively, so that's what they try to do."

Nazr Mohammed played only 17 minutes in the close-out game and Rasho was a DNP. Spurs played small-ball. The more Stephen Hunter played the more Nazr played, the less Hunter played, the less Nazr played. Spurs played small with the Suns but got the stops when they needed to.

Isn't "making stops" synonymous with pushing the driver to the baseline where there's a big man waiting? That's what the Spurs always do. No matter which side of the floor the balls on. How do you do that when the guy helping is Michael Finley. =/

As for us not playing the Mavs last year, I know...but generally speaking, we have a decent record against the Mavs the past few years. When have we ever gone small-ball on them? I can't recall.

Solid D
06-03-2006, 01:53 PM
As for us not playing the Mavs last year, I know...but generally speaking, we have a decent record against the Mavs the past few years. When have we ever gone small-ball on them? I can't recall.

Like I said earlier...in '03.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Like I said earlier...in '03.

Malik Rose is not small ball.

The guy is a Power Forward. Finley and Bowen are Shooting Guards and Small Forwards.

1Parker1
06-06-2006, 02:53 PM

:lmao :lmao Solid D's been on a roll lately with his one-liners.

spur219
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
After reading all this thread Please Don't Ban Me has a point. The Spurs have always gone big. And always made Dallas adjust to the Spurs. Why do you think Dallas went off and got Dampier and Diop. Because they needed bigs to play against the Spurs. To me it does not make sense on why they had gone small.

polandprzem
06-06-2006, 03:16 PM
After reading all this thread Please Don't Ban Me has a point. The Spurs have always gone big. And always made Dallas adjust to the Spurs. Why do you think Dallas went off and got Dampier and Diop. Because they needed bigs to play against the Spurs. To me it does not make sense on why they had gone small.

I do not see nazr being so great and offensive and defensive force same rasho. maybe better D. But hopw would our transition D looked like?

spurster
06-06-2006, 03:17 PM
In addition,

Nazr and Rasho couldn't get back fast enough on transition defense.

Neither Nazr nor Rasho were much of an offensive threat. Some responsibility for that is on Pop, I think.

Even when Nazr or Rasho were out there, the Spurs were being outrebounded anyway.

Basically, it came down to Rasho not playing quick enough and Nazr not playing smart enough. Also, while TD found his power game on the offensive end, he still didn't have much lateral quickness on the defensive end.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
In addition,

Nazr and Rasho couldn't get back fast enough on transition defense.

Neither Nazr nor Rasho were much of an offensive threat. Some responsibility for that is on Pop, I think.

Even when Nazr or Rasho were out there, the Spurs were being outrebounded anyway.

Basically, it came down to Rasho not playing quick enough and Nazr not playing smart enough. Also, while TD found his power game on the offensive end, he still didn't have much lateral quickness on the defensive end.

They would be in there to rebound.

Plus you still have your 1,2 and 3 to get back on D.

Dallas isn't the run-and-gun team we're used to in the past. Also, Nazr has done decent against teams that do run in the past, the Phoenix's and the Denver's of the world.

DarrinS
06-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh, Great Odin's Raven! Not another thread on the dreaded "small ball".

If Pop had played "big", Dirk kills us. If Nazr/Rasho come into the game, Dirk is drooling because he knows either a) Timmy is gonna get into early foul trouble or b) he's going to have a cement-footed Frankenstein trying to guard him.

NEXT

Zarko
06-06-2006, 03:36 PM
The main reason I am for trying to sign Scola is because I think the only way to beat the small ball is to get the critical player (dirk in this case) in foul trouble. If you have a starting lineup of scola (who can post up nicely and draw contact) and duncan there will be significant mismatches to our advantage on the offensive end. Avery will have to put Dirk on either of those players on defense or risk getting murdered on the boards because dirk would be forced to guard a player along the arc. If he is in foul trouble, we have our mission accomplished. They will be forced to play a more traditional lineup.

Our problem this year is the deficiency of Rasho and Nazr on offense coupled with Horry's offensive demise. None of the three were talented enough to warrant keeping in the game.

Scola may not be the answer, but he seems to be the most viable option (even though its a risk) than anyone we can pick up in a trade or free agency.

leemajors
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Nazr's elbows are Mutombo'esque. :D Plus he has good wheels.

nazr is one of the worst defenders on the roster, and does not have "wheels" to stay with howard. it would be a nightmare matchup.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
nazr is one of the worst defenders on the roster, and does not have "wheels" to stay with howard. it would be a nightmare matchup.

Nazr is one of the worst defenders on our roster?

I disagree. Saying he's not mobile and can't get up and down the court is one thing, but this year and last he has come through for us against other teams bigs. In fact, if anything his OFFENSE is limited, it's his defense that gets him on the floor.

leemajors
06-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Nazr is one of the worst defenders on our roster?

I disagree. Saying he's not mobile and can't get up and down the court is one thing, but this year and last he has come through for us against other teams bigs. In fact, if anything his OFFENSE is limited, it's his defense that gets him on the floor.

he's out there to rebound. he can't rotate, block shots, or defend in general. if he could do any of those things, he would have earned some playing time. he was benched because his defense blows.

leemajors
06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
and he can't hold on to a pass to save his life.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
he's out there to rebound. he can't rotate, block shots, or defend in general. if he could do any of those things, he would have earned some playing time. he was benched because his defense blows.

He's not as quick rotating adn helping as we'd like him to be, but he's not as bad as you make him out to be either. He's a decent long big.

But yes, he can't hold on to a pass for shit.

pjjrfan
06-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Nowitski might have been the reason for Pop going to the small ball, but it was their guards that found lay-up heaven throughout the series. Especially when Tim was on the bench, a gimpy Manu, a gimpy Tony and an old Van Exel couldn't stay in front of anyone. The Spurs defense has always been programed to lead people to the baseline and to have one of the bigs back up the perimeter defense with shot blocking and position defense. The mavs were continually going down the middle on everyone including Duncan, who more often than not even when he would make people miss would give up offensive rebounds. I go back to what Darrel Royal used to say, "you dance with the one who brung you." The Spurs defense brung us 3 titles and either the best defense or one of the best defenses year after year, then just to give up on it because some kid gets by Tony and Van Exel is something I just can't understand. In years past Pop would have cussed out both Tony and Van Exel, both got a pass, he did however jump all over Bruce and Manu for their mental mistakes throughout the playoff run. I believe Tony leg injuries slowed him down and obviously Nick was done, but Pop stuck with him sink or swim. We sank.

Anyway I still love my Spurs and I am even more excited about next year because I'm hoping that Tony will only get better and that Manu will get back to his 2005 excellence. Tim sure looked good, he reminded me of the 2003 TD.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Nowitski might have been the reason for Pop going to the small ball, but it was their guards that found lay-up heaven throughout the series. Especially when Tim was on the bench, a gimpy Manu, a gimpy Tony and an old Van Exel couldn't stay in front of anyone. The Spurs defense has always been programed to lead people to the baseline and to have one of the bigs back up the perimeter defense with shot blocking and position defense. The mavs were continually going down the middle on everyone including Duncan, who more often than not even when he would make people miss would give up offensive rebounds. I go back to what Darrel Royal used to say, "you dance with the one who brung you." The Spurs defense brung us 3 titles and either the best defense or one of the best defenses year after year, then just to give up on it because some kid gets by Tony and Van Exel is something I just can't understand. In years past Pop would have cussed out both Tony and Van Exel, both got a pass, he did however jump all over Bruce and Manu for their mental mistakes throughout the playoff run. I believe Tony leg injuries slowed him down and obviously Nick was done, but Pop stuck with him sink or swim. We sank.

Anyway I still love my Spurs and I am even more excited about next year because I'm hoping that Tony will only get better and that Manu will get back to his 2005 excellence. Tim sure looked good, he reminded me of the 2003 TD.

Finding "layup heaven" might have to do with Duncan being the only big. He can't play help defense on both sides of the court all the time. We definately would have stuck with the ugly bitch that we came to the dance with, dammit!

Kori Ellis
06-06-2006, 04:32 PM
He's not as quick rotating adn helping as we'd like him to be, but he's not as bad as you make him out to be either. He's a decent long big.

But yes, he can't hold on to a pass for shit.

He's as bad as he's making him out to be. Nazr is probably the worst defender on the team. He misses almost all his rotations, was horrible at helping, after a year and a half couldn't figure out where to be, and was constantly in everyone's way. With Nazr on the court, Bowen and Manu spent a lot of energy on the court just yelling at him on defense, and Tony, Manu, and Tim spent a lot of time yelling at him on offense.

Nazr was horrible this season for the Spurs.

Solid D
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Dallas has so many good outside shooters and they lift everyone to the perimeter, including Dirk and Diop/Dampier. They opened the floor and ran high screens off that to create better one-on-one scenarios The Spurs tried to zone up and keep their bigs in but the Mavs either hit from the outside or moved the zone around by passing it around the perimeter and then penetrated to the middle seams, particularly with Josh Howard, for short jumpers in the lane (which Dallas seemed to never miss on).

The only way to do what PDBM and pjjrfan and Sequ and AHF and others have said is to play a hybrid, sagging zone. I just got the impression in watching the Spurs try it a few times, that it did not work 90% of the time.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
He's as bad as he's making him out to be. Nazr is probably the worst defender on the team. He misses almost all his rotations, was horrible at helping, after a year and a half couldn't figure out where to be, and was constantly in everyone's way. With Nazr on the court, Bowen and Manu spent a lot of energy on the court just yelling at him on defense, and Tony, Manu, and Tim spent a lot of time yelling at him on offense.

Nazr was horrible this season for the Spurs.

When he man'd up last year in the playoffs, we sung his praises.

How'd he forget to play defense? I think it had more to do with him getting back in the lineup and getting adjusted this year b/c of his personal family problems. He's a good shot blocker, I think...well I hope...he learns his rotations.

He's probbaly our most physical inside player. On defense and offense.

Kori Ellis
06-06-2006, 04:39 PM
He was never good defensively. He just did enough to get by on D in the 2005 playoffs. Everyone (within the Spurs) thought he'd improve the following year. Instead he regressed :( I think it just comes down to him not being smart. Because it seems that he can't even remember the basics.

I like his rebounding and his physicality at times. But that's not enough to pay him the contract he's going to get this summer.

leemajors
06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
When he man'd up last year in the playoffs, we sung his praises.

How'd he forget to play defense? I think it had more to do with him getting back in the lineup and getting adjusted this year b/c of his personal family problems. He's a good shot blocker, I think...well I hope...he learns his rotations.

He's probbaly our most physical inside player. On defense and offense.

if you think being physical is pump faking and getting blocked. he does do a decent job on offensive boards - well, at least he did in late 05. not this year for sure.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Vegas needs to look into creating a line for the over/under on Oberto's vertical game to game.

ploto
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
He's probably our most physical inside player. On defense...
I guess this is one of those things that people think that if they keep repeating it, then it will be true. I never once saw Nazr in a Spurs uniform commit a hard foul on anyone.

As for blocks, it might surprise some people to know that Tim and Rasho tied this season in blocks per 48 minutes in the NBA at #10 (2.79). Nazr's not even close to that.

mavsfan1000
06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
1. Small gave you 4 scorers on the court instead of 3.
2. Small ball gave you 3 3 point shooters instead of 2.
3. Small ball made Howard have to play more defense instead of resting on Bowen.
4. Small ball was the best chance that the spurs had against guarding Dirk and Howard.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I guess this is one of those things that people think that if they keep repeating it, then it will be true. I never once saw Nazr in a Spurs uniform commit a hard foul on anyone.

As for blocks, it might surprise some people to know that Tim and Rasho tied this season in blocks per 48 minutes in the NBA at #10 (2.79). Nazr's not even close to that.

He wouldn't be bullied.

He planted more than a few elbows into peoples grills. One hard foul that comes to mind is the one he put on Mutombo when Deek kept trying to get physical with Nazr.

Nero
06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
TD could have guarded Stack/Quis/Horn/Griffen, whichever one of them was on the floor like he did against Q. All of them except Horn are non-scoring threats. Yes, I know Stack likes to think he's an offensive star, but him being the focal point of the Mavs O and shooting his dismal 27% treys, and ruining any flow in the offense would have been perfect for the Spurs.
Small ball was a panic reaction to a couple of poor minutes played by Rasho/Nazr starting in the Sac series.

ploto
06-06-2006, 09:49 PM
One hard foul that comes to mind is the one he put on Mutombo when Deek kept trying to get physical with Nazr.
You mean the technical that got him put back on the bench in Houston? Not the same thing at all.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-06-2006, 11:16 PM
You mean the technical that got him put back on the bench in Houston? Not the same thing at all.

He didn't get the technical for having his thumb up his butt.

Fabbs
06-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Nazr played as many minutes vs Phx as he did in all the other 2005 Champ playoff series. In fact in the 111-108 barnburner he played 28 minutes and played great D, 3 steals and a couple blocks, several of those coming in a one minute stretch.

I do hear you that Phxs D is not what Dallas is.