PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Jared Jeffries

SPARKY
06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jared_jeffries.jpghttp://www.nba.com/wizards/images/wizards_logo.gif

Jared Jeffries | 1
Position: F
Born: Nov 25, 1981
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
College : Indiana

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jared_jeffries/index.html)

Great size at the 3, can play some 4. Good range on his shot and fine on the glass. Restricted free agent though Wiz might not match.

intlspurshk
06-03-2006, 12:17 AM
He is the missing piece.

mother
06-03-2006, 12:18 AM
6-11..wow

jcrod
06-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Wizards would match, especially since we have nothing but the mid level, and the Spurs won't use it all on one player. Unless they're sure they can trade Rasho or Nazr for some value back.

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Would they match if the Spurs gave him the years?

Ariel
06-03-2006, 02:12 AM
He'd be a terrific fit, and I'd list him as a higher priority than both Scola and / or Javtokas. I wouldn't be so sure about Washington matching, particularly considering they have a lot of money already invested in Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison (SF/PF tweener).

Streakyshooter08
06-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Would Washington be interested in Scola or Nazr? How about some kind of trade to lure him away from Washington?

venitian navigator
06-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Would Washington be interested in Scola or Nazr? How about some kind of trade to lure him away from Washington?

I think that a switch between jaffries and nazr could be in the best interest of both teams...
They have a lot of outside shooters and an offensive rebounder like nazr could be one of the best assets for them...and we need the long small forward that Jeffries is (this is thinking we should replace Nazr with Javtokas...that is quite like the some kind of player)!

milkyway21
06-03-2006, 03:50 AM
FG% and rbds/game pls?

we need a rebounder badly next yr.

milkyway21
06-03-2006, 04:01 AM
all i know is this guy had 15 rbds against Detroit 4/19/06 in 34 min of play & can block.

nothing more.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Jeffries will get the full MLE.
Jumaine Jones for $10M/3 years >>>>>>> Jeffries for $31M/5 years

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 04:08 AM
They could use a big man. :D I think we have a few we can throw there way.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 04:12 AM
Well he's not a true big man. He's pretty much a tall small forward.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Well he's not a true big man. He's pretty much a tall small forward.

That's wha I meant...

They could use a Nazr type player down low. :D Sign and trade, anybody?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Wait

That would be a sign and sign and trade =/

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 04:17 AM
That's wha I meant...

They could use a Nazr type player down low. :D Sign and trade, anybody?

He'd probably be a good fit here but I don't think a sign and trade would happen. And the Spurs don't have the money to overbid and just sign him.

wildbill2u
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
6'11' small forward...but...but...I thought we were going to small ball with the rest of the league.

Big guys are so passe'. Basketball is a game for small guys. [sarcasm/]

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 11:14 AM
It would have to be part of a deal. If we offered him the full MLE, even if we gave him the max years, I think Washington would match and send a thank you note to RC and Pop.

picnroll
06-03-2006, 11:16 AM
How many teams with more than MLE to offer have a long 3 as their main target?

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Jared Jeffries is the player I have been touting all along as the Spurs big acquisition.

His stats are nothing great throughout the season, but he did come through in the playoffs for Washington. He played good defense (agile enough to run the floor, and arms long enough to block shots...think Tayshaun Prince) on LeBron James.

As of now, most Wizard fan's claim that Jeffries won't be back. The Wizards have money tied up in Arena's, Daniels, Butler, Eaton, Brendan Haywood, Jamison, and will have to resign Jarvis Hayes soon.....thus, they think the team will not offer Jamison the MLE off the bat......and when he tests the waters, they don't expect him to sign a contract such as Bobby Simmons because Jeffries was no 6th man......Therefore, if they feel comfortable with the offer Jeffries will get from another team......then they will decide to match or not....with the outcome more than likely being not.....

Jeffries won't command the full MLE....he did not have a breakout season, nor did he excell in anything in particular; however, his physical tools do make his stock rise....and of course the hidden potential.....ala Boris Diaw....

Now, ideally he is exactly what the Spurs need. A 6-10 SF, who is versatile enough to play big SG, SF, and PF's who are perimeter oriented. He's athletic enough to dunk, slash, and with Chip Engelland on board....to gain a consistent jump shot. His long arm's do not only help with his own defender, but it helps with rebounding and the passing lanes.

The Wizard's might want to stay away from a sign and trade with Mohammed because they already have a lot of money due to other players. Now, they might be interested in Scola, but that might not be enough.

The best chance is the Spurs to sign him outright with the MLE, which I am for.

ducks
06-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I want him

trade barry for him!

timvp
06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm searching for a reason to like this guy. His stats are so nothing. He doesn't do anything well :lol

I love his height for being a small forward. But that's it.

Maybe the Spurs think that putting him on a team that actually passes could help him. If there is a Derrick McKey type player on the market, this guy fits the bill because of his size and unselfish style.

mookie2001
06-03-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm searching for a reason to like this guy. His stats are so nothing. He doesn't do anything well :lol

I love his height for being a small forward. But that's it.

Maybe the Spurs think that putting him on a team that actually passes could help him. If there is a Derrick McKey type player on the market, this guy fits the bill because of his size and unselfish style.hes the original tyrus thomas though

not even 1 good year, just 1 good tournament that ended in no championship, led to being overchoderated

ducks
06-03-2006, 01:10 PM
spurs coaches are better then washington

can he defend is the question? spurs really do not need alot of o out of this spot right now

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm sure there was a lot of people who could not see a reason to want Boris Diaw. Although, someone took a gamble because he had the physical tools they needed...and that do you know....his poor stats, limited playing time, and apparent to passive style....all flipped around. Playing with solid teams, MVP's, and good coaching can do that to a player.

Can he defend? Yes.

Tyrus Thomas? I can see what you're talking about....Freshmen leading his team to the final four,etc...Jeffries was still raw when he came into the league, got injured, and next thing you know Washington deals for Caron Butler and his minutes just shrink....

Personally, I rather invest in this kid. Who is versatile enough to play 3 positions and guard three positions, does a bit of everything, has the physical tools we need, and has played in the league.....than give the majority of the MLE to luis scola.

SilverPlayer
06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
The more imporatant question is can he hit the three. With our offense we have to have guys able to make the outside shot to keep the defenses honest. Can he do that?

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Hit the three?

WTF?

We already have one the league's elite 3point shooters in Bowen....most teams rarely even have that.....We have Manu, Michael, and Brent who can shoot the rock....and Tony Parker will be working on a 3 this summer....

Jeffries can not shoot the three consistently.....and that's not the important thing.

The important thing is a versatile 3, who is long enough to guard big SG, SF's, and perimeter oriented PF's and who on the offensive end can cause matchup problems of his own.....thats the important thing.....and yes, he does fit that bill.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hit the three?

WTF?

We already have one the league's elite 3point shooters in Bowen....most teams rarely even have that.....We have Manu, Michael, and Brent who can shoot the rock....and Tony Parker will be working on a 3 this summer....

Jeffries can not shoot the three consistently.....and that's not the important thing.

The important thing is a versatile 3, who is long enough to guard big SG, SF's, and perimeter oriented PF's and who on the offensive end can cause matchup problems of his own.....thats the important thing.....and yes, he does fit that bill.

On offense, range is important to space the floor, whether at the 3 or the 4. Tim plays inside, and both Tony and Manu are slashers who can shoot somewhat rather than pure shooters. We need guys with as much range as possible to keep other teams from sagging the defense into the lane.

Having said that, Jeffries at least has a midrange jumper -- though not a great one -- which is probably good enough.

SilverPlayer
06-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Hit the three?

WTF?

Have you seen guys sag off a player who can't hit a jumpshot. It's very very critical that someone can hit the three in our offense otherwise it is too easy to sag off that guy and double guys like Manu. Now it might work if you change Horry to the three on offense and put him out on the wing. But Horry won't be around forever.

Ariel
06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
The more imporatant question is can he hit the three. With our offense we have to have guys able to make the outside shot to keep the defenses honest. Can he do that?

On offense, range is important to space the floor, whether at the 3 or the 4. Tim plays inside, and both Tony and Manu are slashers who can shoot somewhat rather than pure shooters. We need guys with as much range as possible to keep other teams from sagging the defense into the lane.
Show me a guy who can do it all, and I'll show you a guy out of the Spurs' budget.

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Jared Jeffries does not need a three point shot to be a threat.

Jared Jeffries can shoot a jump shot. When players come at him, he is capable of creating his own shot off the dribble....due to his good handles for a player his size. He can also pose matchup problems by posting up undersized SG's, SF's, and PF's....because he can play to his back to the basket and his size is nearly the size of most Centers.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Show me a guy who can do it all, and I'll show you a guy out of the Spurs' budget.
I don't disagree, and I think Jeffries would be a fine addition if we could get him this offseason.

ducks
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
chip can fix his three point shooting

exstatic
06-03-2006, 03:12 PM
WTF? If Jared is our other "big" during smallball stretches, he doesn't have to hit the three ball, just a consistant 15 footer.

SilverPlayer
06-03-2006, 03:18 PM
WTF? If Jared is our other "big" during smallball stretches, he doesn't have to hit the three ball, just a consistant 15 footer.

Not according to Pop's version of small ball, but I see your point.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 03:26 PM

That's what I think too.
He is very average and will cost the full MLE. I'm not sold on it for this price.

exstatic
06-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I think he's a few steps ahead of your Ndudi Ebis, your Qyntel Woods, your Eddie Griffins if for no other reason than you don't need to pull up the airline baggage cart to pick him up. I think by the end of your fourth year, if your team is playing you only a shade over half a game, they ain't sold on you, but I've never heard anything bad from an attitude or trouble standpoint, either.

intlspurshk
06-03-2006, 04:06 PM
He can at least drive and dunk, make tip-in, rebound etc. It is ten times the contribution from our centers

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't see how people say Jared is going to go around commanding the Full MLE or thats what it will take to sign him.

For instance, last year free Agent Rajah Bell signed a very decent contract with Phoenix....5 years 24million........look at how well he has repaid him. Another, Donyell Marshall scored a contract with Cleveland for 4 years 22 million.

Jeffries did not have a 6th man season, or have a break out season.....ala....Bobby Simmon's.....5years, 47 million (MLE).....

Like I said, Jeffries can come to the Spurs for something similar to the contracts of Marshalls and Bell's.

Personally, those don't seem like bad deals to me.....especially when the player is stocked with basketball talent, gifted physical tools, great team here in SA to make him better, and a great coaching staff....

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Mago,

The difference is those guys (Marshall and Bell) were unrestricted free agents, and free to go where they wanted.

Jeffries is a restricted free agent, so unless you can swing a deal with the Wizards you're going to have to overpay to the extent that Washington won't match.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Jeffries did not have a 6th man season, or have a break out season.....ala....Bobby Simmon's.....5years, 47 million (MLE).....

It's not a full MLE deal.
A full MLE deal last summer was $30M/5 years.

The full MLE for Jeffries is overpaid but I think he will get that and that's why I don't want him.

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Aggie, I fully understand that Jeffries is restricted.

However, I also understand that not every team will go ahead and match an offer.

Last year, Miami did not want to dish out the money that Cleveland was willing to dish out for Damon Jones. I believe it was like a 3 year deal for about 17 million. Miami did not feel comfortable with that amount for Damon, and they had other plans for their cash as well.

Washington could be in the same dilema. They are already tied up with a lot of money with other players, and they will soon have to resign Jarvis Hayes. Just last year they gave 30 million to Daniels for 5 years....already have Arenas maxed out, along with Jamison, and they extended Caron....and were not even talking about the contracts of Thomas and Haywood either.....

Just like we could possibly let Nazr walk if someone gives him too much then we think he's worth...the same can be said for Jeffries......both possibilities are extremely likely.

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Sorry, when looking at the deals from last summer, I got Simmons deal mistaken with Daniels.

I had forgotten the Bucks had all that cap.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
However, I also understand that not every team will go ahead and match an offer.

My point is that to get a guy like Jeffries away, you're going to have to figure out what it will take to get outside of what Washington wants to pay him and feels he's worth, and after you roll the dice with that gamble, you've still got to tie up your money for him for two weeks.

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, I think the Spurs brass (RC and Presti) are smart enough to not only calculate their own numbers, but Washington's as well to where the offer they offerfor Jeffries, they can pretty much make sure it will be painful for Washington to match.

Ariel
06-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Mago,

The difference is those guys (Marshall and Bell) were unrestricted free agents, and free to go where they wanted.

Jeffries is a restricted free agent, so unless you can swing a deal with the Wizards you're going to have to overpay to the extent that Washington won't match.
So what?

First, you talk to him and figure out what he's expecting, and whether it makes sense for the Spurs. If he isn't willing to play for the Spurs (unlikely), or he demands more than the FO is willing to pay (possibly, but I don't think so), then it's irrelevant whether Washington would match or not.

If it's all good, then you talk to the Wiz. If their demands are reasonable, you do a S&T. If they're not, you figure out a contract that would hurt them and sign him anyway. Worst case scenario, you're tied for 7 days and end up just where you were before. And, as I've said before, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a lock they match, since they have a lot of money invested, even at his position (Butler, even Jamison is a SF tweener).

If you play your cards right, I don't think his RFA status is a dead end for him to become a Spur.

Ariel
06-03-2006, 05:19 PM
you've still got to tie up your money for him for two weeks.
Nope, it's 7 days per the 2005 CBA (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#36):

When another team wants to sign a restricted free agent, it signs the player to an offer sheet, the principal terms of which the original team is given seven days to match.

El_Mago
06-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Amen.

Believe me, Washington won't match....they can not afford to.....they are looking for an offensive down low presence.....

They have Jamison, but he is not cutting it.....

exstatic
06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't know why people think that WAS is such a lock to match. They have 13 guaranteed contracts already for next year, and some of them are fairly large, at least from a Spurs fan's perspective. However, Abe Polian has never been known for bottomless pockets, and he's already got three players, Hayes, Butler, and Jamison with contracts totalling $133M over their lengths for players playing either forward position.

Their big problem is that Arenas isn't much of a PG. That's why they signed AD, and also why he plays more minutes than Jared. When he comes in, Arenas slides to the two, Butler to the three, Jamison to the 4, and they have to have a center in there, so that leaves Jared as the odd man out.

Washington Wizards Date # of total
Player signed years salary misc FA
Calvin Booth .......... 9/7/05 2 ??? p-opt '06
Jared Jeffries ........ 7/10/02 4 $7,577,264 rc '06
Awvee Storey .......... 10/3/05 1 minimum '06
Billy Thomas .......... 2/24/06 1 minimum '06
Andray Blatche ........ 8/9/05 2 minimum '07
Jarvis Hayes .......... 8/20/03 4 $8,203,887 rc '07
Antwan Jamison ........ 1/21/99,8/28/01 4+6 $10,899,456+$79.3+mill p-opt '07
Peter John Ramos ...... 7/23/04 3 $2 million '07
Michael Ruffin ........ 8/2/05 2 $2 million '07
Gilbert Arenas ........ 7/22/03 6 $64 million p-opt '08
Etan Thomas ........... 7/29/04 6 $36.77 million p-opt '09
Antonio Daniels ....... 8/2/05 5 $30 million '10
Brendan Haywood ....... 8/3/01,11/1/04 4+5 $4,891,185 + $25 mill '10
Caron Butler .......... 7/3/02,10/31/05 4+5 $7,875,777+$46 mill '11
Donell Taylor ......... 8/16/05 ?? ??? '??

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Looks like they have 9 guaranteed contracts not 13.

Jamison, Arenas, EThomas, Daniels, Haywood, Hayes, Ruffin, Ramos, and Butler.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/washington.htm

exstatic
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
That was from Patricia's site. Let me try to find something elsewhere. Her infomation is usually accurate, but not always complete.

RealGM's trade checker shows 12 non-expired contracts, plus their first rounder. Booth has a player option, but at this point, he'd be foolish to exercise it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Washington's as well to where the offer they offerfor Jeffries, they can pretty much make sure it will be painful for Washington to match.

We're talking a maximum delta here of two million dollars. What do you guys think he's worth? You say not the max. Fine.

So what do you want to offer him? 2 million? 2.5? If Washington thinks he can contribute for them (which he did this year when Jamison went out), if they only think he's worth 1.5 or so, do you really think they kick the dirt, say aw shucks, and let him walk for $500K a year?

The other kicker is Washington can offer one more year than we can. So say we make him an offer, and it's within a million of what Washington thinks he's worth. They can just stay with their same offer and give him the extra year, and he's got an extra year of income coming in.

I'm sorry, my experience in watching restricted free agents the last several years is that there is very little possibility of prying them away from their teams with an offer.

Like I said, I think you're looking at a sign and trade if it's gonna happen.

Slinkyman
06-03-2006, 06:43 PM
I think the question is not how much is this guy worth in money, but how much is he worth to our team and how much would he have helped against dallas. Would Fin and Bruce have to play PF if Jeffries was on the team? Would we have to go so small that we couldn't keep guys out of the lane and off the glass? Would we still be playing right now if we had a guy like him on our team this year.

If the spurs think that he is the guy who can match up with the dirks of this league then they need to do whatever it takes, trade whoever you have to or guarantee how ever many years it takes to make it happen.

timvp
06-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Has anyone found what this guy does well? The best thing I can say for him is he's a decent offensive rebound.

Beyond standard numbers, he's still nothing. In +/-, he was last on the Wizards for anyone who played decent minutes. In the playoffs, second to last. Last year, last for anyone who played at least half the minutes in the season.

He's a pretty decent defender, can pull down some offensive rebounds but that's all I see. I don't want the Spurs to sign a 6-foot-11 small forward just because they are a 6-foot-11 small forward.

He also has a torn ACL to his credit.

I just don't see what he brings to the table.

exstatic
06-03-2006, 07:27 PM
If you subtract his horrible second year, his FG% is pretty damn good, like 45-46% off the top of my head.

His career postseason numbers are also better than his career numbers. That's good.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Has anyone found what this guy does well? The best thing I can say for him is he's a decent offensive rebound.

Beyond standard numbers, he's still nothing. In +/-, he was last on the Wizards for anyone who played decent minutes. In the playoffs, second to last. Last year, last for anyone who played at least half the minutes in the season.

He's a pretty decent defender, can pull down some offensive rebounds but that's all I see. I don't want the Spurs to sign a 6-foot-11 small forward just because they are a 6-foot-11 small forward.

He also has a torn ACL to his credit.

I just don't see what he brings to the table.
Jack of all trades, master of none. There's no one thing (like Bowen's lockdown defense or Evans's rebounding) where he's at the top of the league. But he's versatile as hell.

Decent defender, okay rebounder, mobile, athletic, good size, has some range, can also score inside. Can play both the 3 and the 4 without being out of position, so he can play effective minutes whether we have a small or a big lineup.

Realistically, we probably have both a power forward and a small forward on our shopping list this offseason. Jeffries is one of the few guys who could do both effectively.

picnroll
06-03-2006, 08:45 PM
How well does Jeffries move his feet? Can he stay in front of guys like Howard, Prince?

timvp
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
His jumper is being way overrated in this thread. In shots outside of the paint, he shot 30% this season.

30%.

The reason why his field goal percentage is good is because around 10% of his shots are dunks.

I just don't think he fits.

timvp
06-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Actually, 30% is impressive for JJ. In 2004-05, he shot 25% on jumpers.

In this years playoffs, he shot 19% on jumpers.

Suddenly, 30% doesn't looking that bad.

:smokin

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 08:54 PM
His jumper is being way overrated in this thread. In shots outside of the paint, he shot 30% this season.

30%.

The reason why his field goal percentage is good is because around 10% of his shots are dunks.

I just don't think he fits.
I know, and I'm not overrating his jumper -- it's nothing great, but he has more of a jumper than Nazr or Evans or a lot of guys who we could get to play PF or C for us. Even Malik's streaky jumper was better than we have now.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Actually, 30% is impressive for JJ. In 2004-05, he shot 25% on jumpers.

In this years playoffs, he shot 19% on jumpers.

Suddenly, 30% doesn't looking that bad.

:smokin
I didn't see the 19%. Ouch.

timvp
06-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I know, and I'm not overrating his jumper -- it's nothing great, but he has more of a jumper than Nazr or Evans or a lot of guys who we could get to play PF or C for us. Even Malik's streaky jumper was better than we have now.

Jeffries would have the worst jumper on the team. Rasho and Nazr have much better percentages on jumpers. Even Reggie Evans has him beat.

To say Jeffries can't shoot is the understatement of the day.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Jeffries would have the worst jumper on the team. Rasho and Nazr have much better percentages on jumpers. Even Reggie Evans has him beat.
I stand corrected -- I had no idea it was worse than theirs. Wow. So much for Jeffries.

By the way, Oberto rates at a whopping 25%.

Edited to add: it was a small sample, but Oberto managed to make a stunning 0% of his jumpers in the playoffs. 20% were blocked.

Slinkyman
06-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Derrick Mckey wasn't a good 3pt shooter either