PDA

View Full Version : Potential Acquisition: J.R. Smith

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 01:01 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jr_smith.jpghttp://www.nba.com/hornets/images/hornets_logo.gif

J.R. Smith | 23
Position: G
Born: Sep 9, 1985
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
High School : St. Benedict's Prep (Newark, NJ)

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jr_smith/index.html)

Almost a Spur last February, his situation with the Hornets does not appear to have changed. Moving Barry for him would be ideal this offseason.

Winnipeg_Spur
06-03-2006, 01:03 AM
http://www.ladonmortgage.com/cms/sold-sign.gif

I'll take it...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-03-2006, 01:08 AM
No Problems there, he'll just add the depth as another solid guard with youth. We need to get rid of Barry, his time is up.

yourtehclay
06-03-2006, 02:11 AM
this deal would make me excited..................

Gummi
06-03-2006, 03:07 AM
The only thing I'm afraid of is that he'll bitch and moan when he doesn't get his minutes. That's what he did in New Orleans and that's why Byron Scott decided to let him stay on the bench for second half of the season.

He's still young and raw but he expects his minutes on a nightly basis, but with guys like Manu, Bowen, Finley ahead of him, I can't see him satisfied with 10-15 minutes a night.

That's why I like Barry and his attitude. He knows what's best for the team is best for him as well and if he doesn't get the minutes he wants he accepts that for the sake of the team. Also we can't afford to loose one of the best pure shooters in the league for a very inconsistant shooter in J.R. Smith.

It's a tough situation for the Spurs, they need to get younger but they still need to have shooters on the team and Barry is our best three point shooter.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 04:09 AM
What do the Hornets see in Barry? Take him. Please.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 04:34 AM
PT whiners have a habit of shutting up when they are on a team full of players who are better then they are,

Pull the trigger.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 04:55 AM
A multiplayer deal -

The Spurs send Barry and Rasho

The Hornet send Marc Jackson, JR Smith, a resigned Speedy Claxton, Rasual Bulter and also Marcus Fizer just for kicks.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 04:57 AM
The hell would we want Marc Jackson?

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:01 AM
The hell would we want Marc Jackson?

WE don't, but the numbers gotta work and he's only got a year left on his deal.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:03 AM
Numbers don't have to work since they'll probably be under the cap, we would prefer they didn't for the Barry trade.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:05 AM
Numbers don't have to work since they'll probably be under the cap, we would prefer they didn't for the Barry trade.

I've run that scenario at RealGM trade checker and there would have to be other considerations.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Marc Jackson isn't that bad, at the right price.

He could be a physical presence down low.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:08 AM
RealGM isn't using 2006-07 numbers because those numbers do not yet exist.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:09 AM
However, with cap space being at a premium, I'm more inclined that NO would go for the deal if we took one of their scrub players instead of their cap space.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:11 AM
However, with cap space being at a premium, I'm more inclined that NO would go for the deal if we took one of their scrub players instead of their cap space.And get Rasho and Barry in return? How is that in any way cap conscious?

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:14 AM
If Rasho is a starter, he's a bargain at $7, Brent Barry becomes trade bait after this year for teams looking to clear cap space.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:17 AM
And Jeff Bower loses his job in August. Get real.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:23 AM
And Jeff Bower loses his job in August. Get real.

Yeah, it's much better for NO to keep signing these raw, young players at $2.5-$3 a year and watching them never do a damn thing. What kind of center are they going to get for $7 million? Even Dampier and Adonal Foyle make much, much more than that, and they really suck.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:28 AM
So they should pay the same money for someone who is argualbly worse? If they can't sign anyone outright with their cap space -- and there are some guys better than Rasho they could get for the same or less money -- they'll just get another PF at #12 and roll with that. If those guys are such hot shit, why don't we keep them?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-03-2006, 05:28 AM
The only thing I'm afraid of is that he'll bitch and moan when he doesn't get his minutes. That's what he did in New Orleans and that's why Byron Scott decided to let him stay on the bench for second half of the season.

He's still young and raw but he expects his minutes on a nightly basis, but with guys like Manu, Bowen, Finley ahead of him, I can't see him satisfied with 10-15 minutes a night.

That's why I like Barry and his attitude. He knows what's best for the team is best for him as well and if he doesn't get the minutes he wants he accepts that for the sake of the team. Also we can't afford to loose one of the best pure shooters in the league for a very inconsistant shooter in J.R. Smith.

It's a tough situation for the Spurs, they need to get younger but they still need to have shooters on the team and Barry is our best three point shooter.You make a good point about Barry fitting in with the Spurs mentality of doing the job for the team and with J.R. smith potentially being another NBA brat complaining about entitled minutes.
But that stuff is the Pop's job to address and he usually does a good job in opening players eyes at taking on a more mature attitude towards one goal and not individual crap. If it's an true issue I don't think the Spurs woulda
considered getting the guy in mid-season. Allowing his dissatisfaction for minutes has to do with the coaching staff at New Orleans.

Barry IS a pure shooter. But pure shooters don't show any value when they're not aggressive enough to insist on the open shot. Barry didn't throw Horry Bombs like he should have in the Mavs series. We were severely lacking beyond the arc that whole series from him, while Finley actually was the only one to come through. Barry's Bouncer three in the Sac series is forgotten now. I liked Barry, but his upside left this year. J.R. Smith is around age 21 and athletic. He woulda done nicely against the Mavs actually as far as staying in front of his man goes. A lot more than Barry did.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:29 AM
Would PJ Brown, Butler and Smith be better for you?

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:31 AM
I don't see Lord Byron giving up PJ for any of our scrubs.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:33 AM
So they should pay the same money for someone who is argualbly worse? If they can't sign anyone outright with their cap space -- and there are some guys better than Rasho they could get for the same or less money -- they'll just get another PF at #12 and roll with that. If those guys are such hot shit, why don't we keep them?

Hey, I'm not in any way a Rasho lover, but if you haven't noticed, under-talented centers tend to get over paid in the NBA. Rasho is not a lot of things, but one thing he is is consistant. At least you know what your gonna get from him and he's not a nut case like Foyle.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Hey, I'm not in any way a Rasho lover, but if you haven't noticed, under-talented centers tend to get over paid in the NBA.Agreed. I simply think NOLA will overpay a free agent on its own.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:36 AM
I don't see Lord Byron giving up PJ for any of our scrubs.

Seeing as he's on the final year of his contract, that makes him trade bait.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Agreed. I simply think NOLA will overpay a free agent on its own.

Unproven talent. Once again, Rasho has been consistant his whole career.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Seeing as he's on the final year of his contract, that makes him trade bait.Why? The Hornets will have alot of cap room this season and potentially even more next summer if they keep Brown his last year.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Unproven talent. Once again, Rasho has been consistant his whole career.Bower would say "Why don't you keep him then?"

Expensive consistent mediocrity is a hard sell.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Why? The Hornets will have alot of cap room this season and potentially even more next summer if they keep Brown his last year.

Money for whom? It's not like any great centers are flocking to play in NO with Chris Paul at any money, at least, not yet. Rasho would give the Hornets a locked center for the next few years.

Nbadan
06-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Bower would say "Why don't you keep him then?"

Expensive consistent mediocrity is a hard sell.

Rasho is what he is, but there no gamble there. Bower could gamble on a younger center and maybe he'll luck out and find a undiscovered Boris Diaw, but I doubt. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers Nazr attracts.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 05:48 AM
It's not like any great centers are flocking to play in NO with Chris Paul at any money, at least, not yet.Seeing as it was Paul's FIRST YEAR, you really can't say that with any certainty. Rasho simply doesn't strike me as the kind of player Scott would even consider taking on. Ever. Maybe some greener coach who thinks he can work with anyone -- Sam Mitchell comes to mind.

What would you rather have for $24 million:

Rasho for three seasons

or

Joel Przybilla for four/five seasons?

or

someone else entirely and run with PJ Brown/West and #16?

Be honest.

picnroll
06-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Has JR Smith got a basketball IQ or is he just another leaper? He hasn't shown he's any better rebounder than Bowen. Not a shotblocker for his position, poor assist numbers, lousy FG%. Don't see the attraction.

Doc Jerome
06-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Barry gave the Spurs 2 memorable performances in the post season and a championship effort in 1 game of last year's finals. His shot has been very suspect outside of that.

Get some new, young-athletic blood on the team. I the Spurs are the professionals everyone touts them to be, J. R. Smith will only learn and eventually blossom into a great pickup.

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Byron Scott giftwraps another young athletic swingman for the Spurs?

:smokin

Rescueone
06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Byron Scott giftwraps another young athletic swingman for the Spurs?

:smokin

Who's the first???

genghisrex
06-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Stephen Jackson.

Rescueone
06-03-2006, 09:43 AM
ha ha ha.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2006, 09:59 AM

It's a tough situation for the Spurs, they need to get younger but they still need to have shooters on the team and Barry is our best three point shooter. He better not start about his playing time.He's only gonna be a 3rd year player. If he does start with that, he's gonna be the Terrell Owens of the NBA.(No offense to Terrell Owens.) But he's gonna be even worse because T.O. had time to prove himself, he hasn't.

SPARKY
06-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Jack was a malcontent too who clashed with Scott. I think the Spurs could handle Smith.

djohn14
06-03-2006, 10:36 AM
I like Barry but we need youth on this team.Smith can play so id do the deal in a heartbeat.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 11:45 AM
If we could get Barry for Smith straight up, I'd take it. For that matter, if we could get Speedy in a S&T, that would be really nice.

But if we're going to have to take back cap filler, I'd rather keep Brent and try and move him somewhere else.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 01:01 PM
We don't necessarily have to take filler, although NOLA might want to throw in Macijauskas again. That still wouldn't be that bad.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 01:59 PM
We don't necessarily have to take filler, although NOLA might want to throw in Macijauskas again. That still wouldn't be that bad.
I know we don't have to take filler for cap reasons, but if the Hornets make Macijauskas a condition of the deal, I'm not that thrilled with it. I'd rather either do a deal that holds down the luxury tax (hopefully so we can use the money elsewhere) or get back someone that's worth the cap dollars.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 02:30 PM
if the Hornets make Macijauskas a condition of the deal, I'm not that thrilled with it.

Yeah, another three point shooter for a squad that is reliant on three point shooters to give Tim room to operate is a horrible idea.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Between having one guy you know you'll never use and two guys you might use, I'll take the latter.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I know we don't have to take filler for cap reasons, but if the Hornets make Macijauskas a condition of the deal, I'm not that thrilled with it. I'd rather either do a deal that holds down the luxury tax (hopefully so we can use the money elsewhere) or get back someone that's worth the cap dollars.

It's exactly my thought on that trade.
Barry for Smith : great.
Barry for Smith+Macijauskas : not that great.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah, another three point shooter for a squad that is reliant on three point shooters to give Tim room to operate is a horrible idea.
Macijauskas is an epically bad defender, but I suppose that doesn't matter, because we have a system, and players don't actually matter.

velik_m
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Macas whined about playing time with hornets.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 02:58 PM
If he whines enough, he'll just go back Europe.

superfedja

It's a tough situation for the Spurs, they need to get younger but they still need to have shooters on the team and Barry is our best three point shooter.

1) i like finley and manu a lot more shooting the ball then barry
2) if J.R. Smith doesn't work out ... it's perfect cuz he's one hell of a trading asset ... a lot more then Barry...he's worth more then Barry and more teams will be interested in him plus we get to dump Barry's contract :)
3) so this is a win-win situation for the spurs all the way...

ducks
young guy could with chip learn the three ball

look barry,horry are not going to be around for ever
yes tp said he was going to work on his three point shot but until I see it I am not going to say it is good enough

barry might even be gone for him that takes his three point shooting with him

mike and bowen are still here

if he could hit the three now spurs would have no chance at him

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Bring him in with Arvydas Macijauskas and maybe some picks for Brent and Rasho.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Macijauskas is an epically bad defender, but I suppose that doesn't matter, because we have a system, and players don't actually matter.

Steve Kerr was never known for his defense yet he was able to get by against a Dallas Mavericks team playing small ball two years ago, even on several occassions where because of switches he ended up on Dirk Nowitzki. :rolleyes

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Steve Kerr was never known for his defense yet he was able to get by against a Dallas Mavericks team playing small ball two years ago, even on several occassions where because of switches he ended up on Dirk Nowitzki. :rolleyes
Your idea of who we should acquire this offseason is Steve Kerr without the Finals experience or rings?

I guess I don't see our needs the same way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Your idea of who we should acquire this offseason is Steve Kerr without the Finals experience or rings?

I guess I don't see our needs the same way.

Where did I say that? I said given the most likely combinations of players NO would like to send us, I'd rather take a Smith/Macijauskas combo than some of the other stiffs mentioned in this thread.

Man you are dense.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Where did I say that?
Maybe when you compared Macijauskas to Kerr.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Um, I'll type this really slow.

People were saying Maci is too slow and small to play defense. I was merely pointing out that Steve Kerr, who's even shorter than Maci, managed to get by defensively, even when he had to guard a seven footer.

Nowhere did I say that Maci is the clutch Finals winning type like Steve Kerr, merely that the complaining about his size as a limiting factor to his defensive capabilities is a reach.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Um, I'll type this really slow.

I like when people are arrogant while they are so clueless about BB and Spurs needs.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Nowhere did I say that Maci is the clutch Finals winning type like Steve Kerr, merely that the complaining about his size as a limiting factor to his defensive capabilities is a reach.
His size, his speed, his complete lack of athleticism.

Steve Kerr was an incredibly weak, though certainly willing, defender. His mitigating factor was his proven ability to hit clutch shots in the playoffs, and the rings.

When you take away the clutch factor that Kerr had, for the life of me, I have trouble seeing why Macijauskas can help us.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I like when people are arrogant while they are so clueless about BB and Spurs needs.

Look in the mirror Bruno. And show me where I ever said that Maci filled a need. The guy would be trade filler that would have potential to hit a three for us here and there.

People are talking about us getting Marc Jackson and Marcus fucking Fizer as trade filler earlier in this thread. I'd much rather take a gamble on Maci than some of that shit.

JR Smith would be the prize of any trade with NO, I just like the potential of Maci being a spot minutes shooter for us over 86 year old Marc Jackson or super scrub Marcus Fizer.

As to strangeweather, no one really knows what Maci is capable of because Lord Byron won't give the guy any run.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM
People are talking about us getting Marc Jackson and Marcus fucking Fizer as trade filler earlier in this thread. I'd much rather take a gamble on Maci than some of that shit.

JR Smith would be the prize of any trade with NO, I just like the potential of Maci being a spot minutes shooter for us over 86 year old Marc Jackson or super scrub Marcus Fizer.
Given that SG is probably the position we need the least help at, I don't think we should take back any cap filler to get JR Smth.

As to strangeweather, no one really knows what Maci is capable of because Lord Byron won't give the guy any run.
Well, he's unlikely to get taller, faster, or more athletic no matter how much run he gets.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Given that SG is probably the position we need the least help at, I don't think we should take back any cap filler to get JR Smth.

Right, it's not like Finley and Manu didn't spend time on the IL this season, and that Finley's got a good 8-10 years left in him.

We were down to Brent Barry at SG at one point with Pop flipping a coin as to whether Beno or Nick would be backing him up. Not exactly my idea of depth.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Look in the mirror Bruno.

The thing I don't like about you isn't that you are clueless but it's that you insult people when they are disagree with you. You say that people are slow, stupid and moron.
I know that I'm not the more knowledagable guy about BB on this board. Guys like Fromwaydowntown, Whott, Timvp, Kori have a better BB knowledge than me but I don't insult everybody.
Courtesy and respect aren't bad thing.

And show me where I ever said that Maci filled a need. The guy would be trade filler that would have potential to hit a three for us here and there.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=995239&highlight=moron#post995239

Our needs:

Youth at the SF and SG spots, more shooters to space the floor for TD, an athletic big man, and a backup PG.

Smith and Maci address two of our four needs this off-season.

I rather trade Barry for a trade exception than for Smith+Macijauskas but you will call me again a moron.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Right, it's not like Finley and Manu didn't spend time on the IL this season, and that Finley's got a good 8-10 years left in him.

We were down to Brent Barry at SG at one point with Pop flipping a coin as to whether Beno or Nick would be backing him up. Not exactly my idea of depth.
Well, you're talking about keeping Manu and Finley and adding Smith and Macijauskas. How many pure shooting guards do you want to carry?

We potentially have lots of options at SG. If we find the SF we're looking for, Bowen can spend time at the 2, or even start there, if we get a rash of injuries. Likewise, depending on the SF we find, that guy may be able to split time there as well. If we get a backup point, he may also be able to play 2 guard.

When Nazr leaves, our big man rotation is down to Duncan, Rasho, Horry, and Oberto. Not exactly a murderers row after Duncan. If we trade Barry and NVE retires, the only guys we'll have that can play point are Tony and Beno. Not the best backups there either. Bowen and Finley, neither of which has ideal size, are our only guys who can play SF -- Smith would add another undersized guy to that depth chart.

So why is landing two shooting guards more important than our other needs?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 06:43 PM
strangeweather, Finley plays the 3 as well. Are you telling me you consider him a 'pure' SG?

Bowen and Finley, neither of which has ideal size, are our only guys who can play SF -- Smith would add another undersized guy to that depth chart.

This is more than a one year fix (hopefully). Finley won't be around forever, you know, and Bowen is no spring chicken either.

I rather trade Barry for a trade exception than for Smith+Macijauskas but you will call me again a moron.

I'm not going to call you a moron, but what makes you so sure that New Orleans is ready to just eat some cap space and not expect us to take back another player?

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
JR Smith would be a good backup 2. He's not the long athletic forward the Spurs are looking for. They are likely looking for a guy who is primarily a small forward but can play power forward too. JR Smith is like 6'5 or something.

Bruno
06-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm not going to call you a moron, but what makes you so sure that New Orleans is ready to just eat some cap space and not expect us to take back another player?

I haven't said I will do the trade with Hornets.
Barry has been quite good since the ASG, I don't think he has a negative trade value. Utah and Charlotte are two teams that I can see do a Barry for TE trade.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 06:56 PM
strangeweather, Finley plays the 3 as well. Are you telling me you consider him a 'pure' SG?
Finley's natural position is the 2, but there's no question he can be effective at the 3. But like our other undersized guys who play the 3, we don't get the rebounding we would get if we had a rebounding forward with good size out there. I think SF is the higher priority.

This is more than a one year fix (hopefully). Finley won't be around forever, you know, and Bowen is no spring chicken either.
Granted. And I don't just want quick fix guys. But there's only 15 spots on the roster, and probably only 13 or 14 given that we're up against the luxury tax again this year. If we carry 4 SGs, none of them at minimum salaries, that means fewer roster spots and less cap to go elsewhere on the roster.

PG: Tony, Beno
SG: Manu, Finley, Smith, Macijauskjas
SF: Bowen
PF: Duncan, Horry
C: Rasho, Oberto

That's 11 spots right there. We can obviously move Finley over to the 3, but that either means we don't get the long 3 everyone wants, or if we do, it means he, Finley, and Smith are all fighting for minutes, mostly at two positions.

And Macijauskas probably doesn't get significant minutes under any scenario -- he's the 5th swingman even if we don't get anyone else. He might not even be active for games, which means he's being paid over $2M a year to show up and wear a suit.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 06:59 PM
I haven't said I will do the trade with Hornets.
Barry has been quite good since the ASG, I don't think he has a negative trade value. Utah and Charlotte are two teams that I can see do a Barry for TE trade.
Another possible Utah deal would be McLeod + TE for Barry. That would give us another inexpensive guy to compete with Beno for the backup spot at the point.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-03-2006, 07:09 PM
We can obviously move Finley over to the 3, but that either means we don't get the long 3 everyone wants

I think barring a trade that the long three issue will still be unresolved at end of summer. Which is why I'm thinking about things like Fin at the three.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I think barring a trade that the long three issue will still be unresolved at end of summer. Which is why I'm thinking about things like Fin at the three.
I hope not -- even if we can't get premium guys like Jeffries, I'd like to think we could at least get a guy like Jumaine Jones. But you could end up being right.

But again, even with Fin at the 3, I'm not sure Macijauskas can stay active for games.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Another possible Utah deal would be McLeod + TE for Barry. That would give us another inexpensive guy to compete with Beno for the backup spot at the point. I think Utah would have to renounce too many decent players to get under the cap any worthwhile amount..

picnroll
06-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Has anyone had the misfortune of seeing Macijauskas in a game? If he were good enough to make the Spurs' active roster that would be a horrible indictment of Buford and Presti.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I think Utah would have to renounce too many decent players to get under the cap any worthwhile amount..
Maybe so, but they have an uphill battle finding FAs who want to be there. I figured that they might stay under just enough to work a deal like that.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Maybe so, but they have an uphill battle finding FAs who want to be there. I figured that they might stay under just enough to work a deal like that.I think it would be easier for them to deal halfway desirable FAs like Harpring or Collins, if they wanted to go that route. Keeping the rights to Harp alone would make the cap space evaporate.

And keeping those rights would allow Utah to end up over the cap if they wanted. It just seems that renouncing all those guys for a couple million over the MLE would limit them this summer unless they were going to threaten overpaying for a restricted FA.

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I guess I should add the caveat that I have no idea what the cap is supposed to be next year -- I always play like it's going to be flat until I hear otherwise.

strangeweather
06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
I think it would be easier for them to deal halfway desirable FAs like Harpring or Collins, if they wanted to go that route. Keeping the rights to Harp alone would make the cap space evaporate.

And keeping those rights would allow Utah to end up over the cap if they wanted. It just seems that renouncing all those guys for a couple million over the MLE would limit them this summer unless they were going to threaten overpaying for a restricted FA.
Makes sense.

picnroll
06-14-2006, 08:50 AM
In the Rumor Mill . . .

The Magic could have interest in New Orleans Hornets shooting guard J.R. Smith, who likely will be on the trading block. He and Hornets Coach Byron Scott apparently have had a falling-out. . . . Rumor Mill II: Do the Magic and the Houston Rockets have a draft-day deal in the works? That seems to be the scuttlebutt at the Finals. . . . Rumor Mill III: Apparently Magic forward Trevor Ariza, a restricted free agent, has no interest in playing for the club's summer-league team if he's re-signed. . . .

link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-nbanotes1306jun13,0,7528740.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines)

SenorSpur
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Spurs better not go to sleep on this one

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I think the Spurs will visit this trade again. I know he wants out. The Hornets would like to have a veteran who has an outside shot. They are trying to build a good team and seem like they are on their way. Paul is an awesome PG and David West is a good inside force. They have Mason to creat. Barry would fill that outside shooting they're looking for.

SenorSpur
06-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I sincerely hope they get this deal done as soon as the offseason begins July 1st.

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 04:18 PM
For some reason I think it will get done. Barry is a fine player. Very good in the locker room and what not, but its not like he really produced this past season. He had his good moments.
The Spurs would like to get rid of his contract and take on someone like JR Smith and his contract.

Bruno
06-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I think Barry will be trade but not for Smith.

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Who do you think they want to get for Barry? I would think they'd want to get something they need like a small four or rid of his contract.

Bruno
06-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Who do you think they want to get for Barry? I would think they'd want to get something they need like a small four or rid of his contract.

Salary dump move.

And I don't see Hornets re-do this deal because:
- They will maybe look for a long term solution
- A resaon for Hornets to do this deal was to dump Macijauskas' contract.
This dump sweeten barry's salary. Now it seems that they have a better way to dump it : Last news are that Macijauskas want to come back in europe. I can see a small buyout (around $2M while he has $5M left on his contract) between Macijauskas and Hornets. Macijauskas won't lose money at all because he will get a big contract in europe.

venitian navigator
06-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Salary dump move.

And I don't see Hornets re-do this deal because:
- They will maybe look for a long term solution
- A resaon for Hornets to do this deal was to dump Macijauskas' contract.
This dump sweeten barry's salary. Now it seems that they have a better way to dump it : Last news are that Macijauskas want to come back in europe. I can see a small buyout (around $2M while he has $5M left on his contract) between Macijauskas and Hornets. Macijauskas won't lose money at all because he will get a big contract in europe.

I don't think anybody likes to bpay a buy out...and I hope ther's still the chance to make the deal like it was originally thought (Barry for JR Smith and Macijauskas).
If we sign scola, two ex Tau players could re-meet in our team... I don't know the relationship between the two ex teammates, but they were the best weapons of the Tau just two years ago!

Bruno
06-15-2006, 05:05 AM
I don't think anybody likes to bpay a buy out...and I hope ther's still the chance to make the deal like it was originally thought (Barry for JR Smith and Macijauskas).

Everybody like to turn a $5M loss into a $2M loss. (Macijauskas contribution is null)

anyway, I won't re-do this deal.
Spurs needs are a backup PG, a long SF who can defend and rebound and big men helps.
Smith and Macijauskas are 2 backups SG and will cost $3.5M a year. Spurs are close to the Luxury tax that is almost a hard cap for us. I rather spend these $3.5M on a player who fills a need.

I rather trade Barry for nothing to a team like Charlotte (and I think they will gladly do it : they need experience, a SG, shooters, Barry's contract length is perfect for them and Barry won't maybe cost them money with the minimum salary rule).

SA Gunslinger
06-15-2006, 05:37 AM
Keeping Barry might not be a bad thing. He can shoot and he is a killer against the Suns.

Barry>>>Hedo & Steve Smith