PDA

View Full Version : Silver Stars hold off defending champ Sacramento

spurschick
06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
The Maloofs were in attendance. I'm sure they loved watching a San Antonio team beat them again.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA060306.6C.BKLstars.monarchs.35abe78.html
Web Posted: 06/03/2006 01:40 AM CDT
Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Vickie Johnson scored 22 points and made two big free throws late in the game, and the Silver Stars held off the Sacramento Monarchs 74-71 on Friday night.

The Silver Stars (3-2), who have won their three road games while losing twice at home, snapped a six-game losing streak against the defending WNBA champion Monarchs.

A year ago San Antonio had the worst record in the Western Conference at 7-27.

"I don't know if we've been taken lightly so far,but if that is the case I hope they keep overlooking us," Silver Stars coach Dan Hughes said. "But they really made it a game late. Sacramento competes like a champion."

Kendra Wecker scored 16 points for the Silver Stars and LaToya Thomas had nine points and nine rebounds.

Sophia Young also scored nine points, but her biggest contribution came on a blocked shot on Kara Lawson's drive with 18 seconds left and the Silver Stars clinging to a 72-71 lead.

"That was an unbelievable play, that block was huge," Hughes said.

Vickie Johnson made two free throws with 15.8 seconds left for a 74-71 lead, and Sacramento missed three 3-pointers in the final 9 seconds.

"I had two good looks. I rushed the first one, but we got the rebound and kicked it right back to me," Lawson said. "I got a good look at the second one, too."

Lawson had 15 points, Kristin Haynie had nine and Rebekkah Brunson added seven points and 10 rebounds for Sacramento (3-2).

Trailing by 14 points early in the fourth quarter, the Monarchs got back in the game as their bench began to force a series of turnovers and Sacramento capitalized at the other end, eventually pulling to 72-69 on Lawson's 3-pointer with 2:30 remaining.