PDA

View Full Version : The AJ Curse

scott
06-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Sorry if something similar has been posted... I haven't seen it though.

Whether or not you consider him one of the best Spurs of all time, the fact is that Avery Johnson was a huge part of this franchise, and a huge part of the 99 Championship team.

The way SpursFans have turned on AJ for having the <gasp> audacity to play and coach for another team reflect the type of utter classlessness that the Basketball Gods frown upon.

I hereby predict that the Spurs will never defeat an Avery Johnson coached team in the playoffs until the disrespect shown towards him is countered by the ultimate show of respect for his contributions to this franchise and city: #6 retired.

ducks
06-03-2006, 10:28 PM
go jump off a cliff number 6 should never have been retired in the first place
after what he has done now with his behavior he does not desever it

next year clippers will beat the mavs in the playoff so they will not face them

Solid D
I hereby predict we haven't heard the last from AJ about the Bearhug Defense.

Tobias
while, he may not have been head coaching, he was an assistant when we beat em in' 03...

Emeyin
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
No

Leetonidas
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
We all respected him just fine. Then he started whining after the game.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 10:32 PM
:lmao @ the curse

His number will get retired whether people in this forum hate him or not.

But I'll give him some props for getting Dirk and the Mavs into the Finals.

timvp
06-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm damn proud of AJ. Yeah, it's tough because he knocked out the Spurs, but getting past the bitterness, I'm proud of him making the Finals.

I think he's already a top five coach in the league. Probably top three. If I had to pick a coach for the Spurs, my final three would be Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich and Avery Johnson.

AJ lives to win basketball games. He lives to win championships.

I've never seen a player with as much heart as he had. And now, I've never seen a coach do his job as well in their first full season as AJ has.

If the Mavs win the championship, it'll be one of the best coaching jobs of all-time ... if not the best.

scott
06-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Hey... Cubs fans are still waiting around for their championship all because of a stupid goat. The Sports Gods are Fickle, but forgiving.

angel_luv
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
At this point, I am still to disappointed in A.J. and his relentless whining to root for him.
If his jersey ceremony was tomorrow, I would not go.

Given time the bold may change, but for now that is the story I am sticking to.

ducks
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
timvp be honest now
take those three coaches out
and put in each one
do you think with that group of people for 1 and half years of being head coach and being an assist for how logn aj was
that pop would not had that team to the finals?

mavs have a very deep team deeper then spurs really due to that high payroll
not taking that away from aj

it is not like aj was not familar with these players for a very long time before being actually name of the coach nelson even let him be the head coach before he took over

timvp
06-03-2006, 10:43 PM
timvp be honest now
take those three coaches out
and put in each one
do you think with that group of people for 1 and half years of being head coach and being an assist for how logn aj was
that pop would not had that team to the finals?

mavs have a very deep team deeper then spurs really due to that high payroll
not taking that away from aj

it is not like aj was not familar with these players for a very long time before being actually name of the coach nelson even let him be the head coach before he took over

I've only seen two coaches outcoach Pop.

Phil Jackson and Avery Johnson. I've also seen Pop outcoach PJax. Hopefully Pop gets his revenge on AJ next year.

Fishing sucks.

J.T.
06-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I hope all his Spurs records are shattered by other players so that we have no reason to retire his number. Bruce already busted his record for consecutive games played. Maybe Tony will bust his assists record.

spurs_in_7
06-03-2006, 10:45 PM
the f refs and pop's small balls are who knocked out the spurs

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Stop with the lame ref talk, thanks.

ponky
06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm sooooooo proud of Avery, I'm happy for eveything good that happens to him.

conneaut615
06-03-2006, 10:56 PM

Also props to Joe Prunty. His role in the Mavs success should not be underestimated.

timvp
06-03-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm sooooooo proud of Avery, I'm happy for eveything good that happens to him.

:rolleyes

AJ learned his craft in San Antonio. This is where he learned to win and where he got the respect of the NBA.

If you want to be proud of anyone with the Mavs, be proud of whoever was in charge of hiring AJ to bring a Spurs Basketball attitude to Dallas.

CAGE
06-03-2006, 10:57 PM

AJ learned his craft in San Antonio. This is where he learned to win and where he got the respect of the NBA.

If you want to be proud of anyone with the Mavs, be proud of whoever was in charge of hiring AJ to bring a Spurs Basketball attitude to Dallas.

:tu

ponky
06-03-2006, 10:59 PM

I never dissed Avery for being a Spurs, I think it's a huge perk that he studied under Pop and learned all about the "D." I had fun watching the Mavs run and gun all those years but I was never a huge Nellie fan, especially the last two years before AJ took over. Run and gun will only get you so far, I'm not delusional about all those years in the past. No need to roll your eyes at me, Avery's a Maverick now, his past is important but that doesn't mean that the Spurs get a ring too just because AJ is part of their history. BTW, defense is not a *spurs* basketball attitude, you act like the NBA was created in 1999.

boutons_
06-03-2006, 11:10 PM
What fucking stupid idea.

AJ is the enemy now.

He eliminated the Spurs from repeating.

Spurs and fans owe him absolutely nothing as long as he's the enemy.

Go Heat Go.

ploto
06-03-2006, 11:13 PM
AJ didn't learn class here.

Holmes_Fans
06-03-2006, 11:22 PM
We all respected him just fine. Then he started whining after the game.
Because Tim D, Manu or Greg P never ever whine about anything. :lol

Holmes_Fans
06-03-2006, 11:23 PM
What fucking stupid idea.

AJ is the enemy now.

He eliminated the Spurs from repeating.

Spurs and fans owe him absolutely nothing as long as he's the enemy.

Go Heat Go.
That's not the tune yall were singing when we booed finley. If we boo an explayer it's classless, if spurs fans do it it's perfectly ok. Double standard once again for the spurs hypocrites.

conneaut615
06-03-2006, 11:38 PM

It was kind of fun watching him and Nash post-game. Remember when they clashed and Avery issued his famous line: "I will not be mishandled."

Leetonidas
06-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Because Tim D, Manu or Greg P never ever whine about anything. :lol

Not to the media, no.

ponky
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Not to the media, no.

You're right, they make silly quotes about glaring.

scott
06-04-2006, 12:29 AM
The fact boutons disagrees with me pretty much means I'm right.

baseline bum
06-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm happy for AJ. Actually, I like most of Dallas' players a lot. I'll always have a lot of respect for Nowitzki after he went and shaved his head as a show of support for Don Nelson's wife in 2001, when she was undergoing chemotherapy. Josh Howard is one of my 15 favorite players in the game, and I think he'll be an all-star next year. I've also liked Terry since he came in the league... but I'll absolutely never forgive Cuban for his classless bullshit in 2001. I don't care if he talks bad about the Riverwalk, or sends 1000 tapes to the commisioner, or any of that crap... but to whine about Juwan Howard getting ejected when he put one of the most brutal hits in NBA Playoff history on Derek Anderson (a hit that basically ruined his career) is unforgivable. That is just the most low-class thing I've ever seen from anyone not named Stephen Jackson in an NBA game. He was running around and screaming about his soft-ass dirty bitch Howard getting ejected while Anderson's couldn't even hold his arm upright without using his left to support it. I'll never forgive Cuban so long as I live for that, I hope he never raises a banner in the AAC. If he sold the team tomorrow they'd become my third favorite team (Philly will always be #2, because I've loved AI since he was in Georgetown). It's really hard to dislike any of their players, other than when they're playing the Spurs. Yeah, Dirk flops, but Manu does it just as well, and if you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Das Texan
06-04-2006, 01:24 AM
The way Cuban treated Michael Finley in this year's playoffs was the kind of low class shit that Cuban does.

The only reason I hope the Mavs crash and burn is that fucking piece of trash Mark Cuban.

Ya he has done some great things for the league in terms of visibility.

But you know what? He can goto fucking hell.

His constant whining about everything when he isnt winning is hilarious. Why he is allowed to do the shit he does is beyond me.

So as long as he is in charge, fuck him and fuck the Dallas Mavericks. I wish Donald Carter owned this team still so I could respect that organzation. But Donald Carter is a fucking idiot for not recognizing the business side of basketball but at least to his credit he got out when that got in the way of how he did things.

In sum. Fuck Mark Cuban and everything he does.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 10:32 AM
The way SpursFans have turned on AJ for having the <gasp> audacity to play and coach for another team reflect the type of utter classlessness that the Basketball Gods frown upon.

I hereby predict that the Spurs will never defeat an Avery Johnson coached team in the playoffs until the disrespect shown towards him is countered by the ultimate show of respect for his contributions to this franchise and city: #6 retired.

The only curse is the fans of this city and guys like Pop being so proud of Avery for all his work in Dallas that they overlook the fact the little fucker is stabbing them and the Spurs in the back at every opportunity (see bearhug defense, whining for one) to get his team to a title.

The sooner the fans and franchise realize he's the enemy now instead of their prodigal son that's all grown up, the sooner the Spurs can go about getting back where they belong - as NBA champions.

The amount of love shown Avery, particularly after he had just beaten us in game 7, sickened me. Pop *smiling* and hugging the guy, telling him how proud he was of AJ.

Fuck that. The playoffs are a fucking war, and if you aren't prepared to eat your young to win the title, it's time for your ass to get out of coaching and let someone else coach the team who is more likely to kick AJ in the junk than smile and give him a hug after he just coached his team to a series win over us.

Totally lame. Totally bullshit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Oh, and as for the Mavs, I second what Das Texan said. Cuban is a punk ass bitch, and doesn't deserve to win a thing.

Plus, I'll have to put up with obnoxious Mavs fans at work every day for the next year, and that sucks ass. I've already got some texting and calling me telling me that the great DeSagana Diop is going to lock down Shaq like a little girl in the Finals. Come on Miami, make it end!!!!!

scott
06-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Mark Cuban runs his team like any fan would. And he cries about refs like any Spurstalk.com poster would... I find this forum's hatred for him to be highly ironic.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
The only curse is the fans of this city and guys like Pop being so proud of Avery for all his work in Dallas that they overlook the fact the little fucker is stabbing them and the Spurs in the back at every opportunity (see bearhug defense, whining for one) to get his team to a title.

The sooner the fans and franchise realize he's the enemy now instead of their prodigal son that's all grown up, the sooner the Spurs can go about getting back where they belong - as NBA champions.

The amount of love shown Avery, particularly after he had just beaten us in game 7, sickened me. Pop *smiling* and hugging the guy, telling him how proud he was of AJ.

Fuck that. The playoffs are a fucking war, and if you aren't prepared to eat your young to win the title, it's time for your ass to get out of coaching and let someone else coach the team who is more likely to kick AJ in the junk than smile and give him a hug after he just coached his team to a series win over us.

Totally lame. Totally bullshit.

Spoken like a true Spurs fan. Ungrateful for past Spurs who helped this team win a championship or two. Why is it that after a player leaves the Spurs he sucks?

I wanted AJ to lose the series in embarrassing fashion but I don't have a hatred for the man. He was a big part of that first championship.

The way I look at it, the Mavs had to go to a disciple of Pop to get to where they are. This was after years of Cuban swearing by Nellie and dismissing the importance of defense for winning in the postseason.

You can't fault AJ for jumping on the coaching opportunity with the Mavs. Pop doesn't seem likely to relinquish the reins in SA anytime soon.

Spurminator
06-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Whether or not you consider him one of the best Spurs of all time, the fact is that Avery Johnson was a huge part of this franchise, and a huge part of the 99 Championship team.

Interesting Theory. I've never been on the "We Must Retire AJ's Number" Wagon (I never had much of an opinion either way), but I'd be willing to try this just in case.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Ungrateful for past Spurs who helped this team win a championship or two. Why is it that after a player leaves the Spurs he sucks?

I'm grateful for what AJ did when he was here, but now he's the enemy. He had no problem standing up on the podium after game one and crying about everything under the sun to help his team get an advantage in the series with the officiating, but I guess when you're living in 1999 you overlook the current.

Willinsa
06-04-2006, 04:18 PM

I hearby predict that you are a dumbass.

whottt
06-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Let's see...

Give up AJ hate or no more titles...

AJ hate...titles.

AJ hate...titles.

Damn...and I really liked winning titles too. Don't worry Scott...you'll learn to like not winning titles. And you'll thank me for this someday.

Seriously...this bush league scare and intimidation tactic is typical of the AJ fan mindest. He's trying to scare and intimidate Spursfans into rooting for the little fuckwad that just bounced us from the playoffs.

I'll counter that and say that too many Spursfans had split loyalties and elected to remain loyal to an enemy of the franchise at the expense of their own franchise, during a pivotal moment in our series and that is why we lost.

I remember as AJ was whining to the refs scores of Spursfans defendign him against their own team.

If you took a poll outside of this forum...most people would approve AJ's jersey retirement...perhaps that was the problem, perhaps that is what needs to be changed.

I mean face it...anyone that is proud of AJ right now...isn't feeling the pain over this loss like they should. And that's what's caused us to lose...

The AJ fans...

Either you are a Spursfan, or you an AJ fan, you can no longer be both, it is an absolute perversion of sports fandom to even attempt it...if you think we need to be celebrating AJ right now...You just don't understand pro sports fandom in America...

I suggest tennis is more up your alley.

And we won't win a title until those that don't get it, either becomes Mavsfans proper...or get their heads scrwed on straight.

Want to win a title? Stop defending AJ.

I am glad you guys are proud of AJ...but don't sit there and jock your loyalty to an ememy of the franchise and advocate others do the same.

Any Spursfan, any sportsfan, has a right to despise and hate the coach of an opposing team, especially an instate rival, without legitimate reason or cause and definitely when there is a cause.

It's your weakmindednness...don't spread it. Telling us we can't hate the opposing coach...GTFO here and go retake Sports fandom 101.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 04:52 PM
I think I'd prefer to retire his number so I don't have to see threads like this anymore.

whottt
06-04-2006, 04:57 PM
So tell me Scott...if the Spurs retire AJ's jersey next year and he runs up the score against us by keeping his starters in against us to the final seconds, a 30 point blowout, Jason Terry can hit Manu in the balls, Mark Cuban can talk about what a POS town SA is, Griffin can dunk on us in the final seconds, and AJ goes on to dis Parker, Manu, Drob as he whines about the officiating...That loss still won't hurt quite as bad for you will it?

Because you're an AJ fan more than a Spursfan...You'll stay and cheer his name won't you?

There is no I in team...the team is alway greater than the individual. Remember that as you cheer an enemy of the franchise and advocate fan cowardice.

whottt
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I think I'd prefer to retire his number so I don't have to see threads like this anymore.

Just shut the fuck up Chump...after a brilliant run of posts during the Mavs series you have slipped back to DA form.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Appreciating what AJ did as a Spur doesn't mean anything else.

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Cue passionless post by Chump in

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Just shut the fuck up Chump...after a brilliant run of posts during the Mavs series you have slipped back to DA form.Think about it. There's no standard for having a number retired. If Negele Knight had died in a car crash in SA, God forbid, his number would be up there as well. It is you who has given too much importance to the retirement, and by extension, AJ himself.

Congratulations.

If you can show me any real criteria for retiring a number, I might get passionate about it.

ducks
06-04-2006, 05:09 PM
If Tim Duncan Took Aj Out To Dinner During The Mavs And Spurs Series
You Aj Lovers Would Be Ticked
Admit It

ducks
06-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Aj Lost My Respect When He Punched Rose Naked In The Shower
When He Called Tp A Kid Trying To Do A Man's Work
When He Whinned To The Press
When He Can Not Control His Wife
When He Can Not Take To His Wife On Game Days
Mavs Play Like 90-100 Games
Why Does He Even Bother Being Married?

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Think about it. There's no standard for having a number retired. If Negele Knight had died in a car crash in SA, God forbid, his number would be up there as well. It is you who has given too much importance to the retirement, and by extension, AJ himself.

Congratulations.

If you can show me any real criteria for retiring a number, I might get passionate about it.

False...it was those that wanted to retire his jersey that did so...I am the voice of reason in an othewise insane movement.

And you? You are merely an innocent bystander unable to enjoy sports with the prerequisite emotional attatchment and investment...

The word fan comes from the word fanaticism...

Does that word describe you? Does it decscribe Scott in the team sense? Or even sadly...Marcus Bryant and TimVP? No it does not. Were they fans when AJ whined in the media? Or did they defend in an emotional response to the attacks on their favorite under the guise of openmindedness and sportsmanship?

The only traces of observable fanatcism on their part were in the extremes they would go to in rationalizing the acts of franchise enemy #1.

Who is truly fanatical on the part of the Spurs here?

You? Who would sign anyone in the NBA if a logical reason for it existed...no matter their pass transgressions?

Scott? Who seems only fanatical about Avery Johnson, since his prmary concern is the status of AJ's jersey retirement, 2 weeks after we got bounced by him, as opposed to fixing the team and exacting vengeance upon our transgressors.

Or me?

True Spurs fans won't be siding with AJ on this subject. They won't be claiming that honoring the individual has more karmic power than honoring the team. The team will always be greater than the individual.

Do you get it? Is it in you?

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Liar...your next passionate Spurs related post will be your first.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 05:19 PM
So you have no criteria for retiring a number.

Understood.

Fan is not derived from the word "superstitious."

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for proving my point....

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 05:24 PM
This is what it's come to?

Passion smack?

Now I can't even get passionate about arguing with you.

I now wholeheartedly support the retirement of AJ's jersey.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2006, 05:25 PM
I like all Dallas teams.

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Why not post the full quote?

Why twist, Knickfan?

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:30 PM
This is what it's come to?

Passion smack?

Now I can't even get passionate about arguing with you.

I now wholeheartedly support the retirement of AJ's jersey.

Cue passionless post by Chump in

I think I''ll add that to my sig.

gtownspur
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
All aj lovers can toss my salad

-gtownspur' has spoken.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I think I''ll add that to my sig.I have sigs turned off, but feel free to indulge your passion.

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
More info than I needed, GM wannabe....

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 05:39 PM
You're so passionate, you don't even make sense anymore.

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:45 PM
What's sad is that you deign passionate sports fandom and attempt an intellectual sort...sadly lacking the intellectual ability to even pull that off effectively...as is evidenced by you completely whiffing on the self asskicking you just dispensed, as well as the one I dealt.

In short...you couldn't refute my, accurate and truthful, passionless criticism even if you tried.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Whottt worries more about AJ than AJ himself.

ducks
06-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Aj Will Be Fine He Got His Raises Since Mavs Made It To The Finals
See Thread In Nba Forum

Last Time I Checked Cuban Checks Did Not Bounce

ducks
06-04-2006, 05:51 PM
"I have a lifetime contract with Mark Cuban," was Johnson's only comment when asked about the contract.

FORGET ABOUT HIM COACHING THE SPURS EVER

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 05:53 PM
What's sad is that you deign passionate sports fandom and attempt an intellectual sort.There's nothing intellectual about me. You are really overly interested in my personality. Passionate, even. And I guess you're still trying to get even with me or something because of the title that was bestowed upon me or some previous argument that I have forgotten.

That would probably bug me too, perhaps to the point of passion.

You, however, have fallen off my radar for he most part. I have better ways to waste my time. It's not my problem that you can't stop being angry and that I won't get angry when poked at with an insult on the internets.

Good day.

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Whottt worries more about AJ than AJ himself.

Shouldn't you be joining ponky at the AJ rally?

I know you'd rather be sitting here ripping Spurs ownership more than celebrating Cuban's triumph...but it really is time you realized the sort of fan you are and started acting accordingly.

whottt
06-04-2006, 05:55 PM
There's nothing intellectual about me. You are really overly interested in my personality. Passionate, even. And I guess you're still trying to get even with me or something because of the title that was bestowed upon me or some previous argument that I have forgotten.

That would probably bug me too, perhaps to the point of passion.

You, however, have fallen off my radar for he most part. I have better ways to waste my time.

Good day.

LMAO...after all these years you mean all it took was calling a Spock a Spock?

BTW, I'd never even noticed your title before....I bet TimVP's sense of humor(and chagrin over my AJ stance) has been a great source of pride for you.

Sorry.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Shouldn't you be joining ponky at the AJ rally?

I know you'd rather be sitting here ripping Spurs ownership more than celebrating Cuban's triumph...but it really is time you realized the sort of fan you are and started acting accordingly.

Yeah, I'm the sort of fan who likes to place blame where it lies. You just seem to like to carry on Quixotic grudges.

scott
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
How many exclamation points should I use in this response to ensure I meet the Whottt Passion Quotient?

!!!

whottt, I'm sorry if your mental capacity is so limited to the point where you are unable to maintain two discrete thoughts simultaneously (being a Spurs fan, appreciating what AJ did as a Spur). Some of us however can read and think beyond a second grade level. Perhaps you should have spent less time re-taking “Sports Fandom 101” and put a forth a little more effort in getting out of elementary school.

!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whottt
06-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Some of us however can read and think beyond a second grade level.

And would these be the same ones that claim the Spurs' future title success will be determined by whether or not a certain players jersey is retired?

If so I find that incredibly ironic...in my own elementary little way.

whottt
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'm the sort of fan who likes to place blame where it lies. You just seem to like to carry on Quixotic grudges.

Quixotic grudges are the very foundation of everything great about pro and team sports. But I'm not surprised you don't get that...Ghostwriter's bitch.

Uncle Donnie
06-04-2006, 07:07 PM

That is some shameful shit right there. Just bend over for AJ and be done with it.

Regardless of how you feel about the little cockroach, he was coaching against us. In the playoffs. Whining about the officiating after every loss. Running on the damn court during jump balls. Calling out Bruce Bowen.

WTF are we supposed to do, cheer him on?

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah whottt, carrying a grudge against a player who helped you win a championship is what's great about pro sports.

ducks
06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
What Is Jaren Jackson Doing Sparky? Since He Helped The Spurs Win The 99 Title? I Mean You Should Be Followering Him He Helped The Spurs To A Title?

whottt
06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah whottt, carrying a grudge against a player who helped you win a championship is what's great about pro sports.

No one forced him to talk trash and become Mr. Mav after leaving here...

He chose his own path and if you take the time to lift his nuts off your eyelids you'll see that he isn't exactly Mr. Spur, the major thing his jersey retirement fans like to claim...and he never was. He's always been about AJ, making AJ look good, and doing what's best for AJ...he's never been a team first guy...he only operated under the guise of one because he lacked the acvtual talent to justify his overinflated opinion of himself.

Steve Smith also showed leadership and helped us win a title(by not shooting) and he's also the Spurs career leader in FT%...Retire his jersey.

scott
06-04-2006, 07:48 PM
And would these be the same ones that claim the Spurs' future title success will be determined by whether or not a certain players jersey is retired?

If so I find that incredibly ironic...in my own elementary little way.

Yeah, because I literally believe in curses. I wasn't at all being facetious in poking fun at all the SpursFans who now hate Avery Johnson because he does things that they all do in exponentially larger quantities (namely, bitch about officiating) or because he went on to coach another team and be successful at it.

scott
06-04-2006, 07:49 PM

Yeah, he should have just stayed at home and waited for Holt to call him up and offer him a job instead.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 07:53 PM

He chose his own path and if you take the time to lift his nuts off your eyelids you'll see that he isn't exactly Mr. Spur, the major thing his jersey retirement fans like to claim...and he never was. He's always been about AJ, making AJ look good, and doing what's best for AJ...he's never been a team first guy...he only operated under the guise of one because he lacked the acvtual talent to justify his overinflated opinion of himself.

Steve Smith also showed leadership and helped us win a title(by not shooting) and he's also the Spurs career leader in FT%...Retire his jersey.

Goodness. You're about as insane as the Mavs fan who keeps PMing me from his trailer home. AJ didn't insult anyone. He took a coaching opportunity and went with it.

whottt
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM
The fuck he didn't...

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 07:58 PM
What was the grievious insult?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Aj Lost My Respect When He Punched Rose Naked In The Shower
When He Called Tp A Kid Trying To Do A Man's Work
When He Whinned To The Press
When He Can Not Control His Wife
When He Can Not Take To His Wife On Game Days
Mavs Play Like 90-100 Games
Why Does He Even Bother Being Married?
yeah me too. I didn't know bout that stuff. In 99 I thought he was pretty "humble, down to earth" but he ended up showing he's kinda weird. I think that one game 6 loss interview where he started yapping bout being stabbed on Christmas Mornin'...Oh yeah and the attacking a naked Malik Rose.

Also hearing how Timmy didn't like this guy and wanted to get rid of him--it all made me go "eh, as a fan I don't care to root for this guy "

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 12:57 AM
ducks likes his womens to know their place.

scott
01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
More evidence for the file.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Pop should let PJ coach the team against the Mavs. Avery lives inside his head.

scott
01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Pop should let PJ coach the team against the Mavs. Avery lives inside his head.

It won't make any difference until #6 hangs from the rafters.

MannyIsGod
01-06-2007, 12:44 AM
It won't make any difference until #6 hangs from the rafters.Well then long live the fucking curse. I hate that roach bastard.

stretch
01-06-2007, 12:51 AM

dude. no disrespect to the Spurs and their organization, but its not like the Spurs were the first team to ever have a mentally strong team, that plays hardnosed defense, has great teamwork, and makes plays when the team needs them. thats been going on for years... pretty much as long as professional basketball has existed. all teams that have won a championship had this so-called "Spurs Basketball Attitude". but its not like the Spurs invented that type of playing or anything. if playing that style of basketball should have a name, it should simply be "championship basketball attitude", because that is what championship teams do.

Nero
01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
yeah me too. I didn't know bout that stuff. In 99 I thought he was pretty "humble, down to earth" but he ended up showing he's kinda weird. I think that one game 6 loss interview where he started yapping bout being stabbed on Christmas Mornin'...Oh yeah and the attacking a naked Malik Rose.

Also hearing how Timmy didn't like this guy and wanted to get rid of him--it all made me go "eh, as a fan I don't care to root for this guy "

Huh, what's this story about him attacking Malik in the shower and what about his wife?
He doesn't seem like the type of guy TD would like. Very pushy and religious. TD is a laid back Caribbean dude who doesn't need anyone's pushing or preaching.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Well then long live the fucking curse. I hate that roach bastard.

One of the best parts of the game tonight was hearing some folks boo him in the introductions. 'Bout fucking time, San Antonio. :clap

timvp
01-06-2007, 02:02 AM
I want the Spurs to beat the Mavs as much as anybody, but that doesn't stop me from recognizing that Avery Johnson is the best coach in the league. He has Pop's defensive philosophy mixed with Phil Jackson's ability to gameplan and find weaknesses. AJ, Phil and Pop are probably the three best coaches in the game right now ... but right now AJ is just pushing all the right buttons and has that team playing like a well oiled machine.

That doesn't take away from the fact that AJ helped invent Spurs Basketball and coached the team to a 1999 championship.

SenorSpur
01-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm damn proud of AJ. Yeah, it's tough because he knocked out the Spurs, but getting past the bitterness, I'm proud of him making the Finals.

I think he's already a top five coach in the league. Probably top three. If I had to pick a coach for the Spurs, my final three would be Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich and Avery Johnson.

I've never seen a player with as much heart as he had. And now, I've never seen a coach do his job as well in their first full season as AJ has.

If the Mavs win the championship, it'll be one of the best coaching jobs of all-time ... if not the best.

Probably because AJ coaches perfection and details.. Sure he is intense as hell, but his players believe in him and they believe in his system.

He's got players on his squad that seemingly now are tough minded, they play smart and for the first time they play together. They rebound, they scrap for loose balls, they take charges and they are very AGGRESSIVE. The Mavs are very, very hungry and it shows. They are not leaving anything to chance. They are clearly playing with a sense of urgency.

In contrast, the Spurs sometimes act as though they are entitled to loose balls, entitled to officials calls, entitled to a championship. All the whining and bitching when meanwhile they are getting outhustled, outplayed and outcoached. When is the last time you've seen a Spur player, other than Manu, dive for a loose ball? Think about it.

SenorSpur
01-06-2007, 09:00 AM
dude. no disrespect to the Spurs and their organization, but its not like the Spurs were the first team to ever have a mentally strong team, that plays hardnosed defense, has great teamwork, and makes plays when the team needs them. thats been going on for years... pretty much as long as professional basketball has existed. all teams that have won a championship had this so-called "Spurs Basketball Attitude". but its not like the Spurs invented that type of playing or anything. if playing that style of basketball should have a name, it should simply be "championship basketball attitude", because that is what championship teams do.

Good point.

The difference is the Mavs have that attitude. The Spurs do not - at least not right now.

I've said this before, compare the way the two teams are playing.

The Spurs have had losses hung on them recently by very inferior teams (Wolves, Bucks, Sixers, Lakers, Bobtails, Rockets)

Meanwhile the Mavs have strung together their 2nd winning streak of 13-14 games or more. They do not allow inferior teams to beat them. They mentally and physically "squeeze" the life out of teams when necessary.

Hook Dem
01-06-2007, 01:48 PM
One of the best parts of the game tonight was hearing some folks boo him in the introductions. 'Bout fucking time, San Antonio. :clap
I agree!!!!!!

dirk4mvp
01-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Well then long live the fucking curse. I hate that roach bastard.

hate is kind of a strong word. Why the strong feelings toward AJ? Just because he's part of the team up the road?

DubMcDub
01-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Pathetic.

smeagol
01-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Pathetic.
I know Finley was given a standing ovation the day he returned to Dallas playing for the SPurs but I heard some boos in the playoffs, especially when he was playing well.

Get over it. It's human nature.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 04:41 PM
hate is kind of a strong word. Why the strong feelings toward AJ? Just because he's part of the team up the road?

Because he's a prick. To top it all off there was the whole Pop being "happy to see AJ doing well", meanwhile AJ was crying like a little bitch to the media about the fouls in our series, which led (predictably) to Duncan getting into foul trouble the next two games because of it.

Pop was sitting there with his arm around AJ talking about family and being proud of the 'prodigial son', meanwhile AJ was stabbing Pop in the back.

Fuck the roach.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Pathetic.

If you don't like it, no one said you had to post here.

It's a fucking rivalry. Every single fucker on that Dallas sideline should be booed, and that goes for AJ too.

If you want kumbaya shit, go join the Girl Scouts or hang out with first graders at field day.

dirk4mvp
01-07-2007, 05:27 AM
he's gotta change his hair.

mabber
01-07-2007, 09:54 AM

While Avery is the best thing that's ever happened to the Mavs in regards to coaches, I believe it's much more about his ability to get players to buy into a defensive mindset than his ability with X's & O's and game coaching. Yes, he's getting much better at the latter but a lot of people don't realize how much Del Harris has helped him and been involved in all of that. Regardless, it's amazing to me that he got these guys to "care" about defensive after they were coached by Don Nelson for several years. They rarely practiced defense under Nellie. In fact, Cuban made Nellie coach more defense his last full year there.