PDA

View Full Version : Dissappointment

pseudofan
06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Honestly....

Today I was at a graduation ceremony for a local high school. First of all, when they sang the national anthem so many people didn't remove their hats or place their hand over their heart. Secondly, and really the most annoying and dissapointing thing of all ....... SOME F-ING IDIOT BEHIND US WAS TALKING VERY LOUDLY ON HIS CELL PHONE during the national anthem.

After the national anthem was over, I turned around and loudly said " I love how people just talk on their cell phones during the national anthem. I guess their not Americans :rolleyes " to which my lovely daughter replied "Yeah, that was pretty rude." So the idiot's wife obviously heard and told him to get off the cell phone. Too late.... I already think you're morons!

Oh well.... I guess.... whatever......

ChumpDumper
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Why didn't Sequ punch him in the jimmy?

pseudofan
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
He wasn't with me.

Melmart1
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
People do that at sporting events all the time, or don't take their hats off. Pisses me off. Assholes.

timvp
06-03-2006, 10:41 PM
People do that at sporting events all the time, or don't take their hats off. Pisses me off. Assholes.

Spurs games are the only place where I've seen 99.9% of the fans take off their hats and STFU.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Spurs games are the only place where I've seen 99.9% of the fans take off their hats and STFU.

Military Town, USA

pseudofan
06-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Maybe I never really noticed it before. I just felt really sad afterward. I felt like, no wonder so many kids are dumb asses.... look at their parents....

timvp
06-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Maybe I never really noticed it before. I just felt really sad afterward. I felt like, no wonder so many kids are dumb asses.... look at their parents....

During All-Star weekend in LA, the national anthem is the background noise for people to talk on their cellphones or order beer. People looked at me like I was a freak when I stood up for the national anthem. I had to sit back down :lol

I didn't see one person take off their hat.

Kori Ellis
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
During All-Star weekend in LA, the national anthem is the background noise for people to talk on their cellphones or order beer. People looked at me like I was a freak when I stood up for the national anthem. I had to sit back down :lol

I didn't see one person take off their hat.

That was horrible. That was the worst I'd ever seen. Literally no one in LJ's section stood up.

CAGE
06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
It's hard to believe how some people don't care about the national anthem

Solid D
06-03-2006, 10:55 PM
You were justified in your reaction and he deserved being shamed. Good for you...and your daugher!

Zombie
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
It's a song! :rolleyes
I bet 6 years ago no one would have cared about it. :rolleyes

Solid D
06-04-2006, 12:16 AM
The majority of US Citizens have cared about it for decades...for many reasons.

T Park
06-04-2006, 12:26 AM
It's a song!
I bet 6 years ago no one would have cared about it

congrats

with that single stupid fuck post,

youve made yourself the worst poster here.

:applause

fuckin moron.

Solid D
06-04-2006, 12:33 AM
From what I understand, Francis Scott Key was against the premise of that particular war with Brittain (War of 1812) but he still served his country and wrote the song watching the British attack Ft. McHenry.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 02:48 AM
Spurfans keep their hats off for "Get Ready for This."

xcoriate
06-04-2006, 03:47 AM
I get shutting th fuck up.

You do it our of respect no matter which anthem is being played. For whatever country.

However I do not understand the hand over heart thing? Is there a specific reason for it? I'm pretty sure the US is the only country that does it.

Slomo
06-04-2006, 03:49 AM
It's a song! :rolleyes
I bet 6 years ago no one would have cared about it. :rolleyesFunny, you said that. Because I would have. I've been brought up that it's one of the main symbols of a sovereign country/state. People will always stand up and shut up during others country anthems because that is a sign of respect.

There are cases where fans will boo the visiting team anthem, and that's the ultimate offense. There will be mentions of it in the news and quite often fines by the sport's governing body. In a way they are proving how important it is since they know it's probably the worst thing they can do - and they go for it.

To disrespect it out of apathy or mental lazyness is just weak (and I don't even care about which anthem we are speaking about).

I did get into a funny situation though at one of the Spurs games. The anthem was being sung and I was standing, with my hands in front of me holding my hat. This older guy standing next to me says to me sort of whispering (but not really) "put your hand over your heart", to which I responded "It's not my anthem".
After it was over the guy looks at me and says (calmly - almost saddly) "I wish you people would leave your politics outside of events like this". To which I responded "You do realize I'm a foreigner?". The expression on his face was priceless - he never thought about that possibility :lol. After another 5 minutes of shock he started to apologize profusely for several minutes.

Slomo
06-04-2006, 04:01 AM
However I do not understand the hand over heart thing? Is there a specific reason for it? I'm pretty sure the US is the only country that does it.It seems it's the law:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode36/usc_sec_36_00000301----000-.html

§ 301. National anthem

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. I always understood the gesture as a pledge of loyalty/devotion to the country the flag represents. It's actually becoming the form in Europe more and more - I noticed people started doing it over here like 10 years ago. I'm not aware of any European legislation specifying it though.

MannyIsGod
06-04-2006, 05:18 AM
During the 50s, there was a lot of legislation written of that sort here Slomo. It was a time when the country was very fearfull and paranoid of communism and the like. I'm not a fan whatsoever of if, but it is what it is.

I respect the anthem because I do love this country. I'm not a fan of the shouting at the end of one either. I don't think its the place for people to make themselves part of the show.

I'm glad Lori said something. People and their cell phones piss me off in general.

Slomo
06-04-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm not a fan of the shouting at the end of one either. I don't think its the place for people to make themselves part of the show.Yes, that's weird :)

Melmart1
06-04-2006, 05:36 AM
During the 50s, there was a lot of legislation written of that sort here Slomo. It was a time when the country was very fearfull and paranoid of communism and the like. I'm not a fan whatsoever of if, but it is what it is.

Not to make this political, but that is also when the words "under God" came into play for the Pledge. They were never there before the 50s. Those times really fascinate me.

Jekka
06-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Not to make this political, but that is also when the words "under God" came into play for the Pledge. They were never there before the 50s. Those times really fascinate me.

Yeah, it was a great time if you were a white Christian male, but sucky for everyone else. I think it's ironic that so many people look at it as "the good ole days" for that reason.

Melmart1
06-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Ohhh, you misunderstand me! I think in general it was a horrible time! I am fascinated for that reason, though- that so much could be censored and changed in the name of widespread panic and fear.

Trust me, I am no proponent of 1950s witch hunts.

Jekka
06-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Ohhh, you misunderstand me! I think in general it was a horrible time! I am fascinated for that reason, though- that so much could be censored and changed in the name of widespread panic and fear.

Trust me, I am no proponent of 1950s witch hunts.

I didn't mean to look as though I was disagreeing with you :lol I think it's a pretty fascinating time in history, too, and it was really that way globally - comparative 1950s history is pretty interesting thanks to the Cold War.

Melmart1
06-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Ah, ok! :lol My bad.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Were the "pinkos" an issue in the '50s or was it the '60s?

AmericanWoman
06-04-2006, 06:00 AM
I always stand for the National Anthem.

Solid D
06-04-2006, 02:33 PM
On a slightly different point than Manny's, there are fans of certain sports teams who take a word in the National Anthem and emphasize it or change it to plural during the singing of it.

Examples: Atlanta Braves fans, at the end of the song at Turner Field will sing..."o'er the land of the free, and the home of the BRAVES."

Houston: "ROCKETs red glare"

Dallas: "Oh say does that STARS spangled banner yet wave".

Fans seem to get away with it, without much consternation or criticism, although some people verbally disapprove. I've never heard a team publish a policy or make an announcement to discourage people from doing it.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm fundamentally against screwing around with the National Anthem. I respect art, but I wish people who sing the Anthem would stop with the American Idol wannabe schtick and just sing the damned song -- and bother to get the words right. By most reports, Jose Feliciano started the whole arted-up rendition thing, but did so as a form of protest during the 1968 World Series in the social tinderbox that was late-60's Detroit. Marvin Gaye took it up a notch at the 83 NBA All-Star game, and since then, many who sing the National Anthem before sporting events sings as though a talent scout is surely in the audience. It's ridiculous. In my mind, the National Anthem is not (and should not be) a vehicle for entertaining a crowd.

DannyT
06-04-2006, 06:12 PM
D-Rob showed true pride by always standing at attention during the anthem...just another act of true class by the legend....

RashoFan
06-05-2006, 07:38 AM
D-Rob showed true pride by always standing at attention during the anthem...just another act of true class by the legend....
I do that too...GO NAVY!!!

travis2
06-05-2006, 07:42 AM
After being in the military for a while...it just becomes an ingrained habit. Hear the music, come to attention, turn towards the flag (or the music) and salute appropriately.

SpursWoman
06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
User constantly bitches about people *pimping* the National Anthem...as in, it's not a hip-hop song. :fro

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-05-2006, 10:22 AM
The worst hell is sitting through 70-80 of them a year when some people try to make it their demo CD.

When I was covering the Missions, we used to plead that somebody would finish it in under 2:00 and would welcome those who would. I think the longest we had was approaching 3:30-3:45.

tlongII
06-05-2006, 10:30 AM
What exactly does the national anthem have to do with basketball games anyway? I respect the anthem, but it's over-played.