PDA

View Full Version : Malik Rose...

greens
06-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi, I just found this OLD video while randomly checking out the YouTube site...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83cWEZkVzk&search=San%20Antonio%20Spurs

So my question is...Why was Malik Rose traded? I mean he did not want to leave San Antonio. He has played there for eight years...Sorry that this might be a very old question but I truly became a Spurs fan in 2004-2005 season...and don't know much about 2003 or anything before that. Malik seems like a really nice and genuine guy who fit in well with all the other Spurs players...Just wondering, why he was traded?

And in this video, he's really crying...and looks devastated.

Melmart1
06-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Is it Free Agency time yet? :bang

Spurologist
06-04-2006, 12:58 AM
A day late and a dollar short

baseline bum
06-04-2006, 01:05 AM
He sealed his fate in game against Sacramento where he threw a pass like 5 rows into the stands and pulled his jersey over his head in frustration, to allow an uncontested fast break basket to Darius Songalia. He was moved a couple of days later.

xcoriate
06-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah that was the nail in the coffin for sure.

Not since Chris Webbers Time out in Michigan has there been such a stupid play.

greens
06-04-2006, 01:53 AM
So one bad play? I hope they don't trade Manu after his bad foul on Dirk that sealed their loss...I'm sure there had to be other reasons to trade Malik...

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 02:28 AM
He sealed his fate in game against Sacramento where he threw a pass like 5 rows into the stands and pulled his jersey over his head in frustration, to allow an uncontested fast break basket to Darius Songalia. He was moved a couple of days later.He sealed his fate when he signed a $42 million contract and failed to grow 5 inches thereafter.

jman3000
06-04-2006, 02:29 AM
I was at that game... the crowd was in a half boo - half "wtf just happened". You could tell that pretty much everyone in the arena (including Malik) was pissed at Malik.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Rose sealed his fate when he signed that contract.

I know I was glad to see Nazr Mohammed the spectator in the Dallas series. I know I am glad to see the Spurs without a 1st round pick in this month's draft.

The plan was never to actually re-sign Mohammed. It was to let him walk.

Yeah, Malik was a bit surly at times. Not hard to see why. He read the writing on the wall. The Spurs wanted him out because of his contract. So Holt Cat got his wish.

I know I enjoyed seeing the Spurs starting a guard at the 4 spot in a playoff series. Awesome defense.

Holt Cat fans should be happy.

Tobias
06-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Rose sealed his fate when he signed that contract.
For truth. When he signed that, I knew he was gone sooner or later.
Ponying up that cash for Malik was the worst Laker play we fell for all season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 10:13 AM
He sealed his fate when he signed his new contract and became a black hole on offense. The ball got passed to him, but it never got passed to anyone else. He started thinking he could pass like Manu and score like Tim, but couldn't do either.

That, and other teams' hustle players started out-hustling him on the boards and on the court for loose balls. End of story.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
So the Spurs give up one of the best reserve bigs in the league, one who played well in the playoffs year after year, and one whose game is tailor made for "small ball" for a year's lease of Nazr Mohammed and two 1st round picks. Yeah, that was an awesome trade.

Go Holt. Cat.

timvp
06-04-2006, 11:27 AM
http://www.fairfaxea.org/join_fea/images/Dollar%20Sign.jpg

The day after Malik signed his contract, the Spurs were planning on how to trade him. The only reasons the Spurs gave him the deal were:

1) The Lakers were closing in on getting him. They were actually offering more.

2) Duncan could opt-out of his contract, so the Spurs were showing him that they were willing to spend money. If the Spurs let Duncan's best friend leave to their biggest rival over money, Duncan was probably next out of the door.

spurs=bling
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
:bang
not this again.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:34 AM
:bang
not this again.

Why not? That trade was one of the worst recent decisions this team has made, right up there with passing on Howard and Barbosa in the draft.

Now the Spurs are on the hunt for a player like, well, Rose and they also don't have a 1st round pick for one of the top talent evaluation staffs in pro basketball to use to find another hidden draft gem.

I hope all of the mofos who defended placing something else above winning have enjoyed this postseason.

spurs=bling
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Why not? That trade was one of the worst recent decisions this team has made, right up there with passing on Howard and Barbosa in the draft.

Now the Spurs are on the hunt for a player like, well, Rose and they also don't have a 1st round pick for one of the top talent evaluation staffs in pro basketball to use to find another hidden draft gem.

I hope all of the mofos who defended placing something else above winning have enjoyed this postseason.

that is why i posted what i posted.

upTD
06-04-2006, 11:42 AM
He sealed his fate when he signed his new contract and became a black hole on offense. The ball got passed to him, but it never got passed to anyone else. He started thinking he could pass like Manu and score like Tim, but couldn't do either.

That, and other teams' hustle players started out-hustling him on the boards and on the court for loose balls. End of story.

If he could block like manu in 7th of semifinal, what the word to him?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-04-2006, 11:43 AM
green power

Old School Chic
06-04-2006, 11:47 AM
http://www.fairfaxea.org/join_fea/images/Dollar%20Sign.jpg

The day after Malik signed his contract, the Spurs were planning on how to trade him. The only reasons the Spurs gave him the deal were:

1) The Lakers were closing in on getting him. They were actually offering more.

2) Duncan could opt-out of his contract, so the Spurs were showing him that they were willing to spend money. If the Spurs let Duncan's best friend leave to their biggest rival over money, Duncan was probably next out of the door.

:lol @ the little dollar sign

I agree with Timvp. Unfortunately, It was just a matter of time for the Spurs Org to turn around and get rid of Malik whether he was good friends with Timmy or not.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 11:50 AM
not this again.

It wouldn't be an off-season without Marcus/Spurs Fan/Sparky/Peter/any of his other 86 aliases bitching about us trading away our 6'4" power forward whose best days of play were behind him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
In lamence terms, he fuckin sucked ass in the 03-04 season.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Whatever you say, King of Repetitive Forum Bitching.

At least my gripes actually deal with real team fuckups.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:56 AM
In lamence terms, he fuckin sucked ass in the 03-04 season.

"lamence"? Hope I don't catch that. Sounds nasty.

What sucked ass was the organization's treatment of Rose in 2003-04 and thereafter. They practically hung that contract around his neck.

They got their just rewards this postseason.

Extra Stout
06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
If isiah were to buy out Malik's contract, who here would want Malik back?

Nbadan
06-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Malik's long-term contract was enough reason for the Spurs to move him, but many people are ignoring that Malik was in POP's doghouse for the last 2 years he was a Spur.

Solid D
06-04-2006, 03:16 PM
If isiah were to buy out Malik's contract, who here would want Malik back?

Me.

1Parker1
06-04-2006, 03:39 PM
After the Dallas the series...me too. :lol

spurs=bling
06-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Me.

ditto

MissAllThat
06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Screw the Malik trade. I'm still wondering why we traded Barbosa for nothing.

NCaliSpurs
06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
We traded Barbosa for Cap Space, who turned out to be the MVP last season.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Malik had like one promising 22, 24 point game then I guess we found out he was overachieving in that. His window of opportunity slowly closed shortly after to never really proving his worth for being undersized for his position (and outworked by the opponents), basically Mohammed trade was really great and ensured a better chance in 2005 towards the ring. Mohammed did more good and bad that year. Just cuz you like someone cuz they seem like they'd be a good friend doesn't mean we're supposed to overlook their shortcomings and keep them. He ended up useless. The ideas to get stronger, not trade for all of Timmy's friends.

(although I think we are trading for all of Manu's friends...:lol)

Nbadan
06-05-2006, 12:34 AM
:wtf

You must be mistaking Malik for Jaren Jackson. Malik was an important cog of the Spurs first Championship. T

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Malik had like one promising 22, 24 point game then I guess we found out he was overachieving in that. His window of opportunity slowly closed shortly after to never really proving his worth for being undersized for his position (and outworked by the opponents), basically Mohammed trade was really great and ensured a better chance in 2005 towards the ring. Mohammed did more good and bad that year. Just cuz you like someone cuz they seem like they'd be a good friend doesn't mean we're supposed to overlook their shortcomings and keep them. He ended up useless. The ideas to get stronger, not trade for all of Timmy's friends.

(although I think we are trading for all of Manu's friends...:lol)

Malik Rose had a rather significant hand in the '99 and '03 title runs. The Mohammed trade left the team without any big who could guard the perimeter, without two 1st round picks and, after this summer, without the guy the Spurs traded for, who Pop banished to the bench early on in the playoffs. As much as people want to give Mohammed credit for the '05 run he was just warming the spot for Horry's entrance. Great trade.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Malik Rose had a rather significant hand in the '99 and '03 title runs. The Mohammed trade left the team without any big who could guard the perimeter, without two 1st round picks and, after this summer, without the guy the Spurs traded for, who Pop banished to the bench early on in the playoffs. As much as people want to give Mohammed credit for the '05 run he was just warming the spot for Horry's entrance. Great trade.
Malik had a lot of heart and hustle but was he really that responsible as a key component or was he just there as a teammate and to smoothen some edges. I don't know what it is, but you guys act like he made all the difference in the world. In 99' you could name at least 5,6 players who brought more than he, Elie, Elliott, Duncan, Robinson, Avery. He was decent, he was good, but he wasn't any more than just a replaceable roleplayer. Bottomline was that he was undersized. That's why they got mohammed as a short term replacement because Bigs don't come around often and he was an improvement-- if just by a little. And Mohammed did a good job against Detroit and was a good option to have, that's why Pop started him instead of having Rasho who could do nothing or Horry start against the bigger centers all series we would not have won with Malik against the Wallaces rebounding. Nazr was aggressive in that Detroit series and most of last year's run. How was he keeping Horry's seat warm if he started all games in that series?

Of course he made flubs this year, showed inferior defense to Rasho, so Pop put him in the doghouse because of it.

Doug Collins
06-05-2006, 05:57 AM
So we dont win the championship this year and all of the sudden we need Malik Rose back? Are you guys fuckin nuts? Cant win the damn thing every year and Nazr played an important role in getting us the trophy last year, when we needed another actual big man to match up with Detroit. Seriously, you guys are complaining about not having Malik Rose just think about that for a second.

robb2676
06-05-2006, 06:11 AM
true story

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Mohammed didn't do jack against the Pistons in the '05 Finals.

Malik Rose tops AJ as the most underappreciated Spur ever.

Yeah, the Spurs didn't need Rose in the '03 run. They didn't need him in the Dallas series then. Silly me.

Doug Collins
06-05-2006, 08:05 AM

Yeah, the Spurs didn't need Rose in the '03 run. They didn't need him in the Dallas series then. Silly me.

You make it seem as if the team accomplished nothing in the post Malik era, oh yeah they won another title. Im sure we would´ve repeated had we still had Malik :spin I appreciate what he did for the team when he was here, but get off it already. :elephant

picnroll
06-05-2006, 08:09 AM

Take your pick Malik or the Spurs willing to go out this summer and use MLE and LLE to get a player/players. Can't have both.

boutons_
06-05-2006, 09:32 AM
"the Spurs didn't need Rose in the '03 run"

sure they did, because Malik really contributed heavily.

But after that, he just quit playing like that, got all screwed up in his relationship with Pop and basketball, and contributed almost nothing, so he's gone, and will stay gone.

MoSpur
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I guess a few people forgot who was a huge reason why the Spurs won it all in 04/05.

I'll refresh that memory. His name was something like Nazr.

my2sons
06-05-2006, 02:03 PM
i like malik and for a much lesser contract would love for him to come back to sa, but all you got to do is look at what he has done in new york and dumping his contract doesn't seem like a bad idea....the first round picks are another story, but its a late first rounder that nobody really seems to want due to the guaranteed monies and lack of gurantee in receiving a quality player with that pick...we got a title without him and were within reach again, would he really have made a difference against teflon dirk in these playoff series who knows, dirk was unstoppable due to a combination of officiating and the fact that he was on fire...its fun banter anyways

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM

What is this revisionist history? Many saw the noticeable difference in the roster because in 04 Spurs lacked a center big that was aggressive. At the time it looked like we had gotten a somewhat legitimate center back when 04' we were missing # 50 very sorely in the playoff run.

A lot of analysts commented that with Nazr in the rotation against Detroit it was Pop being smart about it and not using a useless Rasho at the time--too bad Rasho rebounded this year and unfortunate stuff happened to Nazr at the beginning of the season because had he continued to play somewhat decent like he did in the 05' run and improve especially on his help Defense and moving without the ball on offense, he might(and that's a big might because Pop insisted "just trust me they won't work against these small guys" and like 3,4 rebounds could have put us over the top) have seen light against Dallas but he was pretty much ineffective in Pop's eyes. But whatever we weren't gonna keep him long anyway--put Malik in there against Big Ben and Rasheed, who isn't as long as Nazr, or strong, and you don't get the 5-8 Rebounds Per Winning Game in that series. It was like around 3.7 RPG overall in that series. Nazr was a decent big to help out Timmy that's all, we're not talking about Manu-like contributions just someone to man-up the five and that's what we saw during the Finals an aggressive big. We see Timmy outrebounding both Wallaces because of two towers of our own on the floor again and you'll see both Ben and Rasheeds TR average drop a little compared to the previous series...

Anyway I don't know if Malik being back makes us win Dallas. Dallas 03 is VASTLY INFERIOR to this year's Dallas, 03 Dirk, (despite the injury too) is greatly improved than the previous years >05>04>03...by pulling the Malik card it's like you're basically ignoring this FACT.

OTH maybe his undersized frame coulda finally been put to use in smallball.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2006, 05:42 PM
As long as there is a luxury tax, you'll always have to look to dump players not living up to their deals. This goes for Malik, Rasho, Barry....

Please_dont_ban_me
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Malik was always in Pop's doghouse.

Nazr brought more length. Nazr provided some cap relief for us.

Solid D
06-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I miss Malik. I definitely missed him in the Mavs series...but let's face it, he was beaten out by Robert Horry. The other Big on the floor in closing out games changed from Malik Rose in 2003, to Robert Horry. Robert Horry was the other Big on the floor closing out games in the 2005 Finals and not Nazr Mohammed. Credit Nazr for 2 nice blocks on Ben Wallace in Game 7, one in the 3rd and one with about 7 min. remaining in the game to get a key stop when the Pistons had drawn within 3 pts. However, Nazr came out after that and didn't return. Big Shot Rob did.

The Mavs series was different. Big Shot Rob wasn't the factor the way the Mavs played him and the way Robert was mismatched trying to defend the Mavs.

It was just an awkward situation this year, so a new bullet or two needs to be added to the ammo belt.

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
What is this revisionist history?

Revisionist history is that Malik Rose was never important to Spurs' title runs and that Nazr Mohammed somehow was.

angel_luv
06-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I miss Malik too.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Revisionist history is that Malik Rose was never important to Spurs' title runs and that Nazr Mohammed somehow was.
I never said he wasn't apart of the success. I liked Malik when he was here. It's not like I said he was ever a negative for the team like I would say, a Nick Van Exel, or useless like Beno has been. He did his job, and always pitched in what his role required him to do so.

I'm just saying BEYOND THE EYES OF A FAN. He was too small and with Robinson retired and Horry stepping in the team had a better end of the deal if they traded him, and from a business standpoint, I can agree why the Spurs pulled the trigger in sending him to New York for Nazr. If he could be apart of the team and we still had Robinson or something then I wouldn' mind him being here over a lot of other guys I see as deadweight. But after that the trade for a bigger, legitimate BIG was reasonable and 05 Championship proved successful. I don't know what case you're trying to make, It is what it is. How can you argue Malik would help against Detroit better than Nazr did? You can't. That'd be more rebounds for Ben and Rasheed, and less position help for Timmy on the floor as a lone big man for long stretches.