PDA

View Full Version : Touchdown Arlington!

jalbre6
10-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm sure a bunch of you folks know that the city of Arlington has a vote in the November elections whether to raise $325 million in taxes to go towards a new Cowboys stadium. Now, I haven't checked my mail in about a week until yesterday. When I opened the box up, I had four very professional color booklets from some organization called Vote Yes, which is affiliated with the Touchdown Arlington Jerry Jones group. I have also been called five times at home regarding this, three from polling organizations and two from Vote Yes and Touchdown Arlington. When I tell them of my intent to vote no, even the polling people ask, "Why?". The lady from TD Arlington was really tenacious, talking about how it will add $230 million dollars annually to the suburb's economy, and that how I don't want all that money going to Irving or Dallas. Uhhh, all the other cities already voted no.

Even Dallas' mayor calls the deal Arlington is offering "flabbergastingly generous." The worst part for me in all this is that I live less than a mile from the proposed site, and they plan on turning the street that I live off of into an eight lane (four and four) road.

I can't see how eight home games, plus one preseason game (since the other one usually is somewhere else) and maybe playoff games are gonna raise $230 million bucks. They might be able to lure another second tier bowl, and UT-OU in a longshot. Maybe the Big 12 title game too. But still, there's no way that adds up. The Rangers play 81 home games a year in a gem of a park that only cost $130 million. Of course, there's no retractable roof.

Louae
10-14-2004, 11:14 AM
The UT-OU game will not be a long shot. Mark my words, when the new Cowboys Stadium is built, the stadium will be host to the Super Bowl. It will be host to the Big 12 championship game and it will become the new home of the UT-OU game.

jalbre6
10-15-2004, 10:10 AM
I dunno if the UT-OU game will be there immediately, because of the agreement between the two schools, the State Fair, the city, and the Cotton Bowl. But if it is built, I'm sure the game will wind up there eventually. As far as the Big 12 title game goes, I think they rotate it now anyway. It's been in the dome in St Louis, at Arrowhead this year, in Houston, and in San Antonio a couple of times.

Hey, I just wish they'd renovate one of the stadiums in town that are built already. Or convert the Ballpark/Ameriquest Field to multiuse. Or something besides this.

scott
10-17-2004, 09:34 AM
The current agreement with the Cotton Bowl only has a few years left and there is already talk of not extending the deal and not having it be a nuetral site game. The New Cowboys stadium would rectify this situation.