PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Delfino to be traded

Duncanoypi
06-04-2006, 02:55 AM
from the hoopshype

Kelvin Cato will not be re-signed. The Pistons likely will look to trade Delfino, who wants to be moved to a situation where he has a chance to play.

how about him?...for Brent Barry...
(my apology if there's an existing thread same as this one)

ABDENOUR POWER
06-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Delfino for Manu straight up.

Duncanoypi
06-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Delfino for Oberto...plus cash...

mike detroit
06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
delfino for a magic dog that grants wishes

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't see Delfino coming here, he'll probably go to Atlanta (or whatever team) if they offer him minutes, is the same situation that Darko had ... It was mentioned here in ARG that he offered to play the South American Tournament to have minutes on court, since he's tired of watching NBA games from the 1st row.

I really don't understand why DET didn't send Darko, Arroyo, Delfino to Europe to develop them (why bring them here for not playing), take the spurs example.

Leetonidas
06-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Delfino isn't going to play second fiddle to Manu. Guy has an enormous ego.

picnroll
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
A team like Denver could use Delfino. Doubt the Pistons can get a whole lot back for him.

exstatic
06-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I don't see Delfino coming here, he'll probably go to Atlanta (or whatever team) if they offer him minutes, is the same situation that Darko had ... It was mentioned here in ARG that he offered to play the South American Tournament to have minutes on court, since he's tired of watching NBA games from the 1st row.

I really don't understand why DET didn't send Darko, Arroyo, Delfino to Europe to develop them (why bring them here for not playing), take the spurs example.
ATL would be the LAST place he would go if he wants minutes. They are fucking loaded at the swing positions.

FreshPrince22
06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
This is bullshit. Flip needs to get his head out of his ass and promise him 15-20 minutes per game next year. Or better yet, Flip needs to quit, and bring in a coach who will play our young players.

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 11:23 AM
ATL would be the LAST place he would go if he wants minutes. They are fucking loaded at the swing positions.

I was only making my point, probably ORL ... sounds better :sleep

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 11:24 AM
This is bullshit. Flip needs to get his head out of his ass and promise him 15-20 minutes per game next year. Or better yet, Flip needs to quit, and bring in a coach who will play our young players.

Flip needs to save his ass for next season, btw too many egos in DET, am I rigth?

smdanss
06-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Delfino for Manu straight up.
Barry , Udrih, Rasho or Nazr are available. Not Manu.

FreshPrince22
06-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Barry , Udrih, Rasho or Nazr are available. Not Manu.

Mahinmi?

FreshPrince22
06-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Flip needs to save his ass for next season, btw too many egos in DET, am I rigth?

I don't think it's egos. I think Ben just hates Flip. That is the only reason he would leave.

....which drives me fucking nuts.

Spurologist
06-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Barry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Delfino

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't think it's egos. I think Ben just hates Flip. That is the only reason he would leave....which drives me fucking nuts.

Okey strong personalities! I am one of those who think that DET does'nt have a good rotation, you see that in playoffs ... the rotation was good to take the 1st spot in regular season but your boys look tired in playoff.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Arroyo is a veteran player who was the starting PG for the Jazz. The Pistons couldn't exactly void his contract and send him back to Puerto Rico. Delfino was widely projected as the sixth man going into the 2005 season, and was getting 20 minutes every night from LB before the knee injury. I believe that Dumars thought Flip would actually play him this season, but as with a number of other issues, it seems that Joe D. and our beloved head coach weren't exactly seeing eye to eye.

In any case, Delfino is close to fully developed right now, and definitely filled a need for Detroit right now.

Milicic was just a fucked up situation all around. It was a mistake for Detroit to draft him, and a mistake for him to act the way he did, and a mistake for the Pistons to treat him the way they did, and now it seems the biggest mistake of all was trading him just before Ben leaves town.

Mavschick
06-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I like Delfino because he's fearless driving the net like Manu. He's also pretty muscular and athletic, can take his man off the dribble, and is a decent perimeter shooter. He'll never get any PT in DET with Hamilton and Prince entrenched at the 2 and 3 spots. I wouldn't be surprised if a team lacking a SG like HOU (McGrady can play SG but he's more of a SF) or CHA looked into a trade for him. He'd make a nice fit with the Bobcats as they're a really young team that's athletic and likes to go uptempo a lot.

Leetonidas
06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Mahinmi?

He'll probably be our future. So, no.

Spurologist
06-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Arroyo is a veteran player who was the starting PG for the Jazz. The Pistons couldn't exactly void his contract and send him back to Puerto Rico. Delfino was widely projected as the sixth man going into the 2005 season, and was getting 20 minutes every night from LB before the knee injury. I believe that Dumars thought Flip would actually play him this season, but as with a number of other issues, it seems that Joe D. and our beloved head coach weren't exactly seeing eye to eye.

In any case, Delfino is close to fully developed right now, and definitely filled a need for Detroit right now.

Milicic was just a fucked up situation all around. It was a mistake for Detroit to draft him, and a mistake for him to act the way he did, and a mistake for the Pistons to treat him the way they did, and now it seems the biggest mistake of all was trading him just before Ben leaves town.

Arroyo was a major part of your implosion. Everyone on pistons were going to Dallas' offense 101: Get it to someone and everyone else back off. The result was always a contested jumper.

Arroyo is a distributor first. He didn't play particularly well for the pistons in the playoffs but he provided a free flowing offense. He's a passer first. Hunter was garbage because his shooting was pathetic, his defense was average at best, and he probably got a total of ZERO assists in entire playoffs. Arroyo had a lot of Alley hoop passes that were momentum changers. Some of those were to Ben Wallace. That made Wallace happier because he like to score every now and then.

I didn't think the pistons letting him go would have much of an impact but in retrospect, it was a HUGE part of pistons failure in the playoffs

Bob Lanier
06-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I agree about Arroyo. I disagree about Hunter. In my opinion, Hunter outplayed Billups in more than half of the playoff games during this run.

But my point was that neither Arroyo was as good as he was going to get and acquired in a trade anyway; the Pistons couldn't have sent him to another league to develop him. Of the Pistons' picks in the last three drafts, "development" in a lesser league wasn't a viable option for most - they're good to go, now.
2002 - #23: Tayshaun Prince. Four-year college player, fully developed. Signs immediately, rides pine because Rick Carlisle had a fetishistic attachment to Michael Curry.
2003 - #2: Darko Milicic. Almost completely undeveloped. A series of unfortunate events. Maybe keeping him in Europe would have been a better option; maybe not. You know the rest.
2003 - #25: Carlos Delfino. Almost fully developed. Waited a year with his European team before signing with Detroit. Went into debt to buy out his contract. A rotation player before knee injury. While recovering from knee injury, was publicly insulted by Larry Brown, was left off playoff roster in favor of Darvin Ham, and subsequently said that he would never play for LB again. This season, rides pine because Flip Saunders had a fetishistic attachment to Maurice Evans.
2003 - #58: Andreas Glyniadakis. Stays in Europe, eventual bust.
2004 - #54: Ricky Paulding. Goes to Europe, eventual bust.
2005 - #26: Jason Maxiell. Four-year college player, almost fully developed. Never given chance; rides pine.
2005 - #56: Amir Johnson. Almost completely undeveloped. Rides pine for good reason. A D-League project for the next few seasons.
2005 - #60: Alex Acker. Apparently partially developed. Pistons beat writer (Blakely) says after Arroyo trade that Pistons brass are pleased with his development and could possibly overtake Hunter for the #1 backup PG spot by the playoffs. That never ends up happening; rides pine.

Except for Johnson, these aren't 19-year-old kids who have yet to grow into their bodies and learn the game. At least a few of them can contribute but have just yet to get a chance - and if they continue not to get chances, will bolt at the first opportunity to immediate success elsewhere.

Solid D
06-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Carlos is the Detroit equivalent of Melvin Sanders this year, or Seanie Marks the year before. Although a player with decent skills, he has been the odd-man out come playoff time. He would have been the first 1st-rounder of the 2003 Draft to make it to the NBA Finals, instead of D-Wade, if he had made the Playoff Roster in 2004 or 2005.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2006, 03:19 PM
He would have been the first 1st-rounder of the 2003 Draft to make it to the NBA Finals, instead of D-Wade, if he had made the Playoff Roster in 2004 or 2005.
Darko Milicic and Brian Cook made it to the NBA Finals in 2004, their first season in the league. Darko Milicic won the NBA Finals in 2004. Wade was misinformed.

Delfino isn't really the equivalent of any Spurs player; he's been the "odd man-out" all year long for reasons that nobody but Flip Saunders really understands.

Solid D
06-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Good clarifications and good points, Bob.

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 05:24 PM
I think drafting kids and having LB and Flip on the Bench isn't a good combination,
I remember that year when Melo, Wade was selected after Darko!? and after didn't give him a good environment to develop.

My mistake about Arroyo, I forgot he was contribuiting in Utah.

Lp26
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't think it's egos. I think Ben just hates Flip. That is the only reason he would leave.

....which drives me fucking nuts.

You and me both.

Also, it's going to be fun watching Delfino become a solid player . . . on ANOTHER team

:depressed

picnroll
06-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Delfino and Darko on the Magic taking a title. :smokin

Solid D
06-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Not out of the question, picnroll. Too bad Orlando didn't make the trade sooner this year. They were playing outstanding basketball at the end of the season.

Lp26
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Delfino and Darko on the Magic taking a title. :smokin

That was low :lol

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=picnroll]Delfino and Darko on the Magic taking a title. :smokin /QUOTE]

It could be worse ... I heard Ben will go there (just kidding :D)

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM

I agree with that.

I think he's just pissed about the fact that defense doesn't matter anymore, or at least not as much, and it's all offense now.

Taking it to the Hole
06-04-2006, 11:27 PM
So the real question is......is this the end of the Piston era of playoff supremacy? We know the Spurs will rebuild and more than likely make it back again, but with the Pistons potentially losing Big Ben which really is their heart and soul of the defense and a franchise player. I think it doesn't look good right now in Motown and I really hope that the team doesn't break up after Ben leaves, because they were our toughest challenge I think of any of the teams we have played and I respect the Pistons for their competitve nature and respect for the game, just I think they lost alot of the mystique that made them a feared team last year and this year as well. I guess we will see what happens?

Typhoon
06-05-2006, 02:33 AM
This guy is a really good player .. finally he can go to a team where he can get minutes and treat him well.

bdubya
06-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Barry>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Delfino

Sure, in the Old NBA. New NBA, Delfino>>>>Barry.

Mavschick
06-05-2006, 09:18 AM
So the real question is......is this the end of the Piston era of playoff supremacy? We know the Spurs will rebuild and more than likely make it back again, but with the Pistons potentially losing Big Ben which really is their heart and soul of the defense and a franchise player. I think it doesn't look good right now in Motown and I really hope that the team doesn't break up after Ben leaves, because they were our toughest challenge I think of any of the teams we have played and I respect the Pistons for their competitve nature and respect for the game, just I think they lost alot of the mystique that made them a feared team last year and this year as well. I guess we will see what happens?

It's iffy whether the Pistons will be able to re-sign Wallace. Guys like Cato, Delk, and Hunter will all be off the books next season which frees up about $11 million, but DET really needs to add some more depth. Since they don't have a 1st-rounder this year, they're basically going to have add guys through FA. It might come down to them choosing to add FA C Nazr M. + 3 cheap FA's to fill the backup PG and SF and C positions instead of re-signing Ben and not being able to do much else in terms of adding depth because of all the dough tied up in Ben.

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 09:36 AM
The Pistons likely will look to trade Delfino, who wants to be moved to a situation where he has a chance to play.

So, not in the Spurs

picnroll
06-05-2006, 09:58 AM
waly.mg I get the feeling Manu, maybe some of the other Argentines, is not too impressed with Delfino as a team chemistry guy. Is that right?

DarkReign
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
So the real question is......is this the end of the Piston era of playoff supremacy? We know the Spurs will rebuild and more than likely make it back again....

Thats really easy to say when you have a Tim Duncan. Unfortunately for 25 other teams, they dont have him to just say "Fuck it, there is always next years Finals to play for."

I say 25 because 5 teams have low-post guys to really compete for titles.
In order:

Amare
KG
Shaq (questionable, but dont tell me that shit, see 06 playoffs.)
Brand
CB4 (I know, he isnt really in this league yet, but I think he is one of those guys you can say "Pffft, fuck it, we're good for next year.")

Every other team doesnt have the presence these fortunate teams do. Sure, theres the Kobe/Wade/LeBrons of the world. But they dont play back to the basket.

So, yeah, Pistons...Im sure they'll contend next year. But winning it all? This offensive system that Flop runs tells me "No".

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 01:26 PM
When Manu played in Detroit last season, in the regular season, he meet with DElfino and his Girl Friend, who is Italian

Delfino is a couple of year younger than Manu and is the last in Join the national team, so heīs not a close friend than other Like, Oberto, Scola, Pepe and the others but heīs Manuīs Friend

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Both Delfino and Manu played in the same teams in Italy, but Delfino signed in Reggio Calabria the same year when Manu signed with the Kinder, and Delfino signed with the Kinder the same year when Manu signed with the Spurs

So heīs behind his Steps, if thatīs correct he can Sign with the Spurs

theMUHMEshow
06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
from the hoopshype

how about him?...for Brent Barry...
(my apology if there's an existing thread same as this one)

Good...get Carlos' ass outta here...Hate his whiney attitude

theMUHMEshow
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Dumars said today in his presser that DELFINO WILL be back.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
possible that he might have one. What are you basing this on??

I think his complaints had more to do with him wanting to play the game and not just sit on the bench for huge stretches with the Darko treatment when he could have fit in their rotation easily, not entitlement--also him being a bit younger/less mature which is probably why he was all vocal about it.

Ariel
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM
possible that he might have one. What are you basing this on??

I think his complaints had more to do with him wanting to play the game and not just sit on the bench for huge stretches with the Darko treatment when he could have fit in their rotation easily, not entitlement--also him being a bit younger/less mature which is probably why he was all vocal about it.
Seriously. That quote was total BS. His beef with Larry Brown was not about minutes, but about having your coach trash you, and not being able to respond because of something foreign to your will (a knee injury). And despite Flip didn't give him a fair chance, there was no issue with him.

Delfino would have no problem playing behind Manu, because he already does in Argentina's NT. If anything, playing behind Manu in the Spurs would ensure Delfino about 20 minutes, which is more than he said he'd settle for.

Not that it would matter though, as neither the Spurs need him, nor will the Pistons give him up to a direct rival, and risk the deal blowing up on their faces.

himat
06-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Joe Dumars said he wants him back and he wants him to play. :tu :fro

FreshPrince22
06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
From Mlive.com

"I don't want another season like that," said Delfino, who will play for Argentina's National Team this summer. However,he said he has not talked to the Pistons about trading him. "I want to be here. I expect to be here," Delfino said. "I want to play here".

That rumor was just speculation that somehow people love turning into fact. Same with the Ben Wallace contract stuff.

EDIT: Dumars also said on the radio that he was unhappy that Flip didn't play Delfino more, and that he let Flip know about it. He said he expects him to be a big part of the team next year.

ALVAREZ6
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Well that's good news that Delfino will now play more next year. Hopefully he can get some more experience and become a key role player for Detroit. I expect Detroit Basketball to be back in the Finals in 07.

JamStone
06-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Not to be too argumentative, but what makes it so much more of a certainty that the Spurs will be able to rebuild and make it back than it is for the Pistons. I just want to hear the argument.

Tim Duncan is still the key. And, he's no longer in his mid-20s when D-Rob left. And, in the salary cap era, it's not as easy to rebuild when you have large contracts like Duncan, Manu, and Parker have.

I think San Antonio will be back, but you wrote that as if it is guaranteed and the Spurs are immune to getting old or falling off.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
For anyone other than Finley/Parker/Manu/TD sure. Why the hell not?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Isn't he that "long 3" you guys have been looking for the past few weeks?

I still think we should for a bakup PG though.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 07:55 PM
For anyone other than Finley/Parker/Manu/TD sure. Why the hell not?
Bah! That's just the Piston fan trying to make themselves feel better because Spurs still have a pretty solid core that needs retweaking, but still remain on the level of being in contention towards the title...
...while Pistons future right now is much more uncertain than us.

Take your pessimism elsewhere, we're still in a good place and that's not just being rosey-eyed either. Just a solid core in Tim, Manu, Tony and we were 30 seconds away from advancing to make it to the Finals again...I don't think we need to do what Riley did to make it next year with an Older Shaq and an inferior bench/starting 5 of 2005 Miami, we still Got Finley, Bowen, Horry, all we need is a young guy here and a Long SF/ C athletic big or long there.. Good role players/hustle players, nothing too hard to afford.

Nothing is ever guaranteed in the league, it's hard to win titles even when you' like you're pretty much set. If it were, Pistons and Spurs would have had enough to be playing on Thursday.

FreshPrince22
06-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Bah! That's just the Piston fan trying to make themselves feel better because Spurs still have a pretty solid core that needs retweaking, but still remain on the level of being in contention towards the title...

Take your pessimism elsewhere, we're still in a good place and that's not just being rosey-eyed either. Just a solid core in Tim, Manu, Tony and we were 30 seconds away from advancing to make it to the Finals again...I don't think we need to do what Riley did to make it next year with an Older Shaq and an inferior bench/starting 5 of 2005 Miami, we still Got Finley, Bowen, Horry, all we need is a young guy here and a Long SF/ C athletic big or long there.. Good role players/hustle players, nothing too hard to afford.

Nothing is ever guaranteed in the league, it's hard to win titles even when you' like you're pretty much set. If it were, Pistons and Spurs would have had enough to be playing on Thursday.

uhh... not to nit-pick, but I don't think he was replying to the "Spurs will be back" thing. He was talking about trading for Delfino. As for the "will they be back thing"... I think the Piston fan was more referring to the future, as in 5-6 years down the road when the Spurs don't have Duncan or Manu, and the Pistons don't have the same core. The Spurs fan sounded like they were talking about next year. As for that, both teams will be back. It's not like the talent isn't there. 63 and 64 win teams don't just disappear overnight.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Huh?

I simply said I'd take him for anyone other than our core. I guess you could throw Bowen into that mix, too. That's not pessimism that's being realistic and forward-minded.

Darrin
06-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Tell me this isn't true! The guy is a stud, and should get some heavy minutes in the Pistons rotation if they plan on having any depth. He's the best untapped resource on the team. Maybe the best rebounder and perimeter defender off the bench. His shooting comes and goes with his confidence. But Flip's got to let him fight through that adversity in order to be a good player in this league.

WalterBenitez
06-06-2006, 08:10 AM
But Flip's got to let him fight through that adversity in order to be a good player in this league.

Yeap ... you know with Darko didn't work, neither with Delfino ... so what?

Darrin
06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Yeap ... you know with Darko didn't work, neither with Delfino ... so what?

Darko has never won a game for the Pistons, or helped them win a game. The same cannot be said for Carlos Delfino, who not only had huge performances down the stretch of last season, but came up huge in games in Chicago and against Milwaukee.

He's a $900,000 contributor on a team approaching the luxury tax. He's 24-years-old.

It matters because I want this team to continue to compete for Championships after Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace retire.

WalterBenitez
06-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Darko has never won a game for the Pistons, or helped them win a game. The same cannot be said for Carlos Delfino, who not only had huge performances down the stretch of last season, but came up huge in games in Chicago and against Milwaukee.
He's a $900,000 contributor on a team approaching the luxury tax. He's 24-years-old.
It matters because I want this team to continue to compete for Championships after Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace retire.

Okey but he can't replace both Wallaces, he only played in Prince and Rip's place; I think he's asking about minute not necesssarily money.