PDA

View Full Version : Florida Media...Ben Wallace a Spur????

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Now before ya'll go crazy on me, listen to what I heard today.

Now, I'm still calling bullshit.

My wives uncle who's from Florida was in town today for her birthday and we were all re-living the horror of the Spurs meltdown. Well he said "did you here what Ben Wallace said". He said he was qouted as saying that if they loose to the Heat, he does not want to play for Flip anymore.

He would want to play for either the Knicks with Larry Brown or play next to TIM DUNCAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like Bullshit, he didn't say that. No way the Spurs can afford him and he's not going to turn down a max contract. But apparently Ben said he didn't care about the money and he doesn't like playing for Flip.

Anybody else in Florida her this????

Melmart1
06-04-2006, 03:09 AM
My best friend lives in Florida, I will ask him tomorrow. But I highly doubt it.

Despot
06-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Ben cares about the money, it's his last chance, and he was willing to sign a contract with the Pistons W/O an agent so that he did not have to pay the fee.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Ben and Bruce as our starters..
Shit thats lockdown defense.
But god would they suck on the offense. :lol

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 03:16 AM
This wouldn't happen to be your "weird" uncle, would it?

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:20 AM
Now before ya'll go crazy on me, listen to what I heard today.

Now, I'm still calling bullshit.

My wives uncle who's from Florida was in town today for her birthday and we were all re-living the horror of the Spurs meltdown. Well he said "did you here what Ben Wallace said". He said he was qouted as saying that if they loose to the Heat, he does not want to play for Flip anymore.
He would want to play for either the Knicks with Larry Brown or play next to TIM DUNCAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like Bullshit, he didn't say that. No way the Spurs can afford him and he's not going to turn down a max contract. But apparently Ben said he didn't care about the money and he doesn't like playing for Flip.

Anybody else in Florida her this????

The only problem I got with this is that he said this DURING the playoffs. So i think its bullshit.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:21 AM
This wouldn't happen to be your "weird" uncle, would it?

:lol Well yes, he is weird and we were all calling bullshit. But he was very adamant about it, so I don't know. Thats why i'm asking.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Did your "weird" uncle mention where he heard this from?
the paper? the news?
At least tell us where he lives, that way I can do some research.

Despot
06-04-2006, 03:25 AM
No mention of the Spurs, but I am sure everyone feels that the players are upset with flip. Especially when he makes these comments.before the playoffs I would have said it was 100% certain that Ben would stay put, now, there is a good chance he will seriously shop around.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14735183.htm

Pistons center Ben Wallace may have few options in free agency
BY IRA WINDERMAN
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace made some noise a few weeks back when he announced he had hired high-powered agent Arn Tellem to handle his impending free agency.

Ultimately, the process could turn into a silent auction, with Detroit merely bidding against itself.

For all Wallace has accomplished in recent years, including the Defensive Player award four of the past five seasons, his value to any other team would not be nearly as consequential as his value to the Pistons.

The reported desire is something starting in excess of $10 million, for at least four seasons, likely more.

Yet the resume doesn't appear to merit the pay:

"Ferocious-but-undersized rebounder ... Meticulous team defender who tends to get overwhelmed by the premier center in his own conference, the Heat's Shaquille O'Neal ... No discernible offensive skills ... Lousy foul shooter ... Voiced displeasure over direction of team in midst of Eastern Conference finals ... Refused to enter late-season game in Orlando in snit over playing time."

And yet, to the Pistons, Wallace is as close to indispensable as any player on the roster, the ultimate link to the defensive system installed by Larry Brown.

Pistons President Joe Dumars has no choice but to bid high. But against whom?

Yes, Chicago has free-agent cash and a need in its power rotation. But the Bulls also need a post scorer, and that is something Wallace certainly is not.

Atlanta also could use the upgrade. But, again, a post scorer would be the preference, not another Zaza Pachulia.

Toronto, which also has cap space, is an intriguing possibility, matching Wallace's muscle and defensive bent with the front-line athleticism and scoring of Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva.

But Wallace will be 32 at the start of next season, likely to be well past his prime by the time Toronto gets it sorted out to a playoff level.

Without Wallace, the Pistons' already thin power rotation is reduced to the bare-bones rotation of Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess, with Kelvin Cato and Dale Davis soon to empty their Pistons lockers for the final time.

Had Darko Milicic worked out, there at least would have been leverage. Had Troy Murphy or even Jason Collins been the pick in 2001 instead of Rodney White, there could have been an additional frontcourt option.

Then there is the reality that the game is changing, that perimeter players are the difference-makers, that the bump-and-grinders continue to be legislated out of dominance.

Based on what the Heat did last summer with Shaquille O'Neal - a $100 million, five-year package that basically came with an expectation of three seasons of productivity and a $40 million parting gift - a similar honorarium-type deal likely is looming for Wallace.

If Tellem and Wallace are smart, they'll take an amicable, non-confrontational approach and stay clear of any shopping, lest word leaks back of just how soft the market stands.

Wallace is coming off a six-year, $30 million contract, one that paid $7.4 million this season. A token raise might be merited, based on his importance to the Pistons. Anything beyond that and it becomes a tribute detrimental to the salary cap and luxury tax.

Understand, until Game 5 against the Heat, Wallace had only one block in the series.

And just before that, coach Flip Saunders had to deal with Wallace's aggravation over the team's offensive bent that delivered 64 regular-season victories.

"We all know how Ben gets at times," Saunders said.

What he gets this summer is the next issue. For Dumars, it will be a delicate proposition.

Despot
06-04-2006, 03:31 AM
If there is any truth to this whatsoever, I would say it had something to do with that player poll about where players would like to play, other than their own team. Timing of the supposed remark would fit.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Yeah i think flip is gonna be out of the picture in order for wallace to come back with the pistons.
Dog looking bastard. :lol

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:33 AM
Did your "weird" uncle mention where he heard this from?
the paper? the news?
At least tell us where he lives, that way I can do some research.

Ft. Lauderdale. Shit I don't remember, been drinking. I want to say paper, but I don't know.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Ft. Lauderdale. Shit I don't remember, been drinking. I want to say paper, but I don't know.
That would explain it.
In reality, Ben Wallace will not come to San Antonio.

Despot
06-04-2006, 03:37 AM
I predict that this thread will get very ugly by mid morning.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:41 AM
That would explain it.
In reality, Ben Wallace will not come to San Antonio.

That would explain what?????????? :lol

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:42 AM
That you were drinking.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:43 AM
You know what, don't even worry about RayRay, your team is the Phx.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:44 AM
You know what, don't even worry about RayRay, your team is the Phx.
:lol
If you only knew. :rolleyes

jcrod
AND???????????? what does that have to do what somebody else said?

jcrod
:lol
If you only knew. :rolleyes

:rolleyes

Dude, shut up, if you only knew :rolleyes .

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:45 AM
There.. Check it.
Get the picture?
Besides.
Look what it says under my name. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2006, 03:48 AM
i dont think its a bad investment 50-60mill for ben, at least he provides sumthing unlike dampier or the centers in the league who are earnin 10mill aseason

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Check it, check my join date. Look at my posts, check with anybody who's been her long. I don't post bullshit, shit, it took me over 3 yrs to get 1000. I'm just checking to see if anybody else heard this in FL.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:49 AM
i dont think its a bad investment 50-60mill for ben, at least he provides sumthing unlike dampier or the centers in the league who are earnin 10mill aseason
True..
But the spurs would go over the cap if they pursued Wallace.

I dont think piston fans are gonna be to happy when they see this during the day.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:51 AM
Check it, check my join date. Look at my posts, check with anybody who's been her long. I don't post bullshit, shit, it took me over 3 yrs to get 1000. I'm just checking to see if anybody else heard this in FL.
Im not saying that your full of shit, though im close to accusing you of that. :lol
Im just wishing you had proof to back this up..
Thats all.

Dont get me wrong. I dont think theres any spurs fan in here that WOULDNT take him in a heartbeat.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 03:53 AM
Im not saying that your full of shit, though im close to accusing you of that. :lol
Im just wishing you had proof to back this up..
Thats all.

Dont get me wrong. I dont think theres any spurs fan in here that WOULDNT take him in a heartbeat.

:lol Dude, i guess you don't know how to read.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 03:56 AM
:lol Dude, i guess you don't know how to read.

Neither could you dork. You couldnt figure out I was a spurs fan, without me pointing out to you the "in manu we trust" tag under my name. :lol

I wasnt just referring to you Jcrod.
Otherwise, why would you be asking if you knew? I fucking got it man. :rolleyes

themvp
06-04-2006, 03:57 AM
Hey! You two! Stop it! :lol

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Hey! You two! Stop it! :lol
He started it!! :oops

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:01 AM
Neither could you dork. You couldnt figure out I was a spurs fan, without me pointing out to you the "in manu we trust" tag under my name. :lol

I wasnt just referring to you Jcrod.
Otherwise, why would you be asking if you knew? I fucking got it man. :rolleyes

:lmao

How many times are you going to change your response. :blah :blah

Despot
06-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Spurs do not have the cap room to pay him. Period. And I would not hold out hope that cap room will open up. There is nothing that we would give Detroit that they would want for a sign and trade.

The only way that Ben being unhappy would effect the Spurs is if he were to go to say Chicago. That scenario MAY make Deng or Chandler available and open a small window for us to acquire him.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 04:03 AM

How many times are you going to change your response. :blah :blah
Till you change your thread to "I heard my uncle say ben was coming but I dont remember cuz I was drunk". :lol

Despot
06-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Till you change your thread to "I heard my uncle say ben was coming but I dont remember cuz I was drunk". :lol

ok, that was funny. :lmao

Ariel
06-04-2006, 04:06 AM
San Antonio can offer a 5 year, 30M contract at most, as Detroit would never entertain the idea of a S&T with the Spurs. Ben will likely receive a starting offer of at least the 4 years and 47M the Pistons gave Rasheed last season, likely significantly more than that.

This has about as much chance of happening as me doing Eva Longoria.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:07 AM

:lol Got me!

Despot
06-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Maybe your uncle was talking about this guy. Doesn't look like he can rebound or block very well.

Ben Wallace - UK (http://politics.guardian.co.uk/person/0,,-9272,00.html)

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:10 AM
But I was only buzzing, if I was drunk I wouldn't be up right now. And i just don't remember if it was Television or paper.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Look Jcrod, im not trying to pick a fight with you, but you have to understand that the current salary cap the spurs have, doesnt allow them in having a player of Ben's caliber to come into the team.
Unless he takes the minimum.
Which I doubt that will happen.

themvp
06-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Maybe your uncle was talking about this guy. Doesn't look like he can rebound or block very well.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/person/0,,-9272,00.html

Ariel
06-04-2006, 04:12 AM
The MLE, not the minimum. Though for practical purposes it wouldn't make much difference.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Look Jcrod, im not trying to pick a fight with you, but you have to understand that the current salary cap the spurs have, doesnt allow them in having a player of Ben's caliber to come into the team.
Which I doubt that will happen.

Look RayRay, this is why I said you don't know how to read.

I said the Spurs can't afford him and he wouldn't turn down a Max contract. I said I told him bullshit, what else do you want from me. Thats why I'm asking anyone from FL heard this.

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 04:16 AM
The MLE, not the minimum. Though for practical purposes it wouldn't make much difference.
In conclusion,
This proves that having Ben Wallace as a Spur is highly unlikely. :depressed

rayray2k8
06-04-2006, 04:16 AM
Look RayRay, this is why I said you don't know how to read.

I said the Spurs can't afford him and he wouldn't turn down a Max contract. I said I told him bullshit, what else do you want from me. Thats why I'm asking anyone from FL heard this.

I...
am going to bed. :lol

Ariel
06-04-2006, 04:17 AM
In conclusion,
This proves that having Ben Wallace as a Spur is highly unlikely. :depressed
Yes, I guess if you're optimistic about it you could depict it as 'highly unlikely'.

MissAllThat
06-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Wow, look at this thread. Calm down Spurs fans. He wasn't saying Ben Wallace for sure said this. He was just asking if anyone else heard the rumor his crazy weird uncle heard. So far no one from Florida has responded to either confirm or deny this insanity.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:18 AM
I...
am going to bed. :lol

Good, bye.

Despot
06-04-2006, 04:19 AM
I...
am tempted to stay up so that I can witness firsthand what everyone does when they wake up and see this thread title. Jcrod, you'll be responsible for reimbursements for all the coffee damage. New keyboards and monitors for everyone.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Wow, look at this thread. Calm down Spurs fans. He wasn't saying Ben Wallace for sure said this. He was just asking if anyone else heard the rumor his crazy weird uncle heard. So far no one from Florida has responded to either confirm or deny this insanity.

Wow, someone who can read. Thank you Missy.

Despot
06-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Wow, someone who can read. Thank you Missy.

Of course, she's a Cavs fan, your aren't playing with her emotions.

jcrod
06-04-2006, 04:22 AM
I...
am tempted to stay up so that I can witness firsthand what everyone does when they wake up and see this thread title. Jcrod, you'll be responsible for reimbursements for all the coffee damage. New keyboards and monitors for everyone.

:lol yeah, tomorrow morning this will be 15 pages and I hate reading through that many pages.

Streakyshooter08
06-04-2006, 04:41 AM
Well, I think there is only one chance that Ben even considers leaving Detroit: If he really hates Saunders. But if he leaves, he will not join the Spurs. I believe he will retire a Piston. I also doubt that he said sth. like that at all because it would have made a big headline and there is no article saying that Ben considers joining the Spurs.

But imagine this lineup:

Ben/ Javtokas/ Rasho
TD/ Evans/ Horry
Bowen/ Jeffries
Manu/ Finley/ Smith
Parker/ Udrih

P.S. I KNOW this is not gonna happen!... just a lineup that would really kick ass...

velik_m
06-04-2006, 07:03 AM
He said he was qouted as saying ...

you don't say...

WalterBenitez
06-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Ben and Bruce as our starters.. Shit thats lockdown defense. But god would they suck on the offense. :lol

Ben is in my whish list :elephant , the problem is the money I wouldn't like Spurs becoming Lakers 2 with too many stars but hey ... Ben is great rebounder, good kid to receive Dallas.:D

What about the new punisment trend in NBA, offense oriented team are well received!? :angel

Basketball Jones
06-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Ben ain't coming to SA

Streakyshooter08
06-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I just found an intersting article, but it does not mention the Spurs. It is just saying that Ben's future is up in the air...

Big Ben's Piston time may be up
Published June 4, 2006

MIAMI -- There is a reason -- a good reason -- Ben Wallace recently hired high-powered agent Arn Tellem to represent him this summer in free agency.

Wallace wants to find his true worth.

And surprisingly, the Detroit Pistons might not be the team to provide that opportunity.

In a league struggling to find enough decent centers and with teams dying to build a championship contender, someone will be willing to break the bank for Wallace.

Wallace might be a four-time Defensive Player of the Year, hailed as the anchor to the amazing run the Pistons have made in the past three seasons, but there is nothing certain about his re-signing in Detroit.

For a guy who never was drafted, signed for the minimum with the Washington Wizards, was traded to the Orlando Magic for Ike Austin and later found fame and fortune in Detroit, the world doesn't always turn smoothly.

"Nothing in this league is automatic,'' Wallace said last week in Miami when asked about his pending free agency. "I was never supposed to leave Washington. I was supposed to retire in Orlando.

"Strange things happen. It's not automatic [that he will re-sign in Detroit]. You just never know what might happen.''

The Pistons and the city of Detroit love Wallace and his blue-collar work ethic -- he has become a folk hero there -- but is it wise for the Pistons to give him one of those maximum contracts (six years, $132 million)?

Is it wise to commit so much to a player who is not involved in the offense, who relies so much on pure athleticism and whose athleticism will start diminishing soon (he turns 32 in September)?

It's a quandary the Pistons will face July 1 when he officially becomes a free agent.

Yet he is the only star among a generally weak free-agent crop, making him an attractive alternative this summer for anyone with major room under the salary cap.

Only the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks, Toronto Raptors and Charlotte Bobcats would be able to clear enough space to afford him, but others could acquire him with a sign-and-trade deal, which might interest the Pistons.

"You have to listen to hear what opportunities are out there,'' Wallace said. "You have to weigh your options.

"And it's not always just about money. It's about having the opportunity to do what you're comfortable doing.''

Imagine what the centerless Bulls and Coach Scott Skiles could do if they signed Wallace, putting him in the midst of all their young, talented perimeter players. They might be playing next season in the NBA Finals.

Atlanta will find him attractive, too, bringing Wallace back toward his roots in Alabama, where his family can see him shine every game, where he could anchor a budding team.

And what better way for Toronto to regain its NBA luster than by putting Wallace between young forwards Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva.

Either way, Wallace has found himself in a very enviable situation, but the Pistons are in a sticky one.

Wallace just completed the six-year, $30 million contract he signed when he left the Magic, but this summer, he will sign another contract that could be three times as large.

Like many that win championships or contend seriously, the salary structure of the Pistons is changing rapidly. By keeping Wallace, they almost certainly will be paying the luxury tax for many years.

Not only that, the contract of point guard Chauncey Billups will be up for renewal after the upcoming season or the one after that.

Re-signing Wallace, at his price, isn't as certain as it would be if this was just a basketball decision.

It was a brilliant decision for the Pistons to have him the past six seasons -- prime years of his wonderful career.

It might not be the same with the next six years.

Cato is a free agent

Veteran center Kelvin Cato was on the Detroit playoff roster, but he was so far out of the picture that his name was spelled wrong (Kato) in the game program Monday and Friday.

He was sitting patiently on the Pistons' bench, just waiting for the season to end. He was bored.

"Detroit is a nice place, the players are nice guys, but I don't think the coaches had any confidence to use me,'' he said. "I'm healthy, but I don't get much work.''

Cato and his expiring contract were obtained from Orlando at midseason for point guard Carlos Arroyo and power forward/center Darko Milicic.

Detroit made the trade to help ease the payroll for next season, hoping it would help make room to re-sign Wallace.

Cato, who was paid $8 million this season, played in only four games for 34 minutes during the regular season. He played in only four playoff games for 15 total minutes this postseason.

"It just didn't work for me here,'' he said before Game 4 in Miami. "They just never really had any confidence to use me.''

Cato, 31, will become a free agent this summer, confident that he still will be in the league somewhere next season.

"There are just so few big guys available now, and a lot of teams are looking for centers,'' he said.

"I can still help someone -- Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, L.A., Seattle, they all need another center. I hope I have a decision to make this summer.''

Aroundthe Rim

Sometimes the generation gap is a little too much to overcome for some coaches, even the best ones. Among the motivational tools Miami Heat Coach Pat Riley used during the Detroit series was a Yogi Berra quote he taped to each player's locker. Power forward Udonis Haslem misunderstood. "He gave us a Yogi Bear quote,'' Haslem told reporters in South Florida. "I can't remember what it was, but he said it was something from Yogi Bear. To be honest, I don't even know too much about Yogi Bear. How old is that cartoon? I know a little about it, but not much.''

Eric Musselman, who missed out on a chance at his second NBA head-coaching job last year when the Magic rehired Brian Hill, is getting his opportunity with the Sacramento Kings. Owners Joe and Gavin Maloof wanted a coach with a defensive background who also is outgoing, and they chose Musselman. "I can't imagine a whole lot better situation for a coach than this," Musselman said Saturday at a news conference.

Anyone who doubted that Scott Skiles would become a successful NBA coach really didn't understand him as a player with the Magic. Skiles is in his second NBA head-coaching position in Chicago, and he is convincing some that he might become an elite coach soon. "I've played for a lot of coaches in my career,'' said guard Randy Livingston, who is retiring after playing for nine teams in his 10 seasons, the final one with the Bulls. "I'd put Scott in the top three among all the coaches right now. And there is nobody better now at drawing up the right play in a key situation.''

Karl Malone might return to the league in some capacity, but he isn't sure as what. The Jazz brought him to Salt Lake City recently to help evaluate potential draft picks.

A Final Thought: Tim Thomas may have fired up Dirk Nowitzki more than taunted him when he blew a kiss at him.

Tim Povtak can be reached at [email protected].

Hey Pistons fans: What is your opinion about re-signing Wallace? Would you give him the max? Would you trade him? Just you curious how you are feeling about his future.

exstatic
06-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Arn Tellem as his agent GUARANTEES this will never happen, number one, just because he finally hired an agent, and number two, because it's Arn Tellem.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 10:07 AM
But the spurs would go over the cap if they pursued Wallace.

We're already over the cap, rayray.

Regardless, this is all just so Ben and his agent can get more money out of Detroit.

Plus, Pop has embraced small ball, what would we do with a center who can't shoot the three? :rolleyes

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
The 2007 All-Defensive First Team:
C Ben Wallace
PF Tim Duncan
SF Bruce Bowen
SG Manu Ginobili
PG Tony Parker
It WILL happen.

Streakyshooter08
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
C Ben Wallace
PF Tim Duncan
SF Bruce Bowen
SG Manu Ginobili
PG Tony Parker
It WILL happen.

Would be cool, but it won't happen...

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I pray to God this happens

Trainwreck2100
06-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Enough with this pipedream

Mr. Body
06-04-2006, 01:09 PM
C Ben Wallace
PF Tim Duncan
SF Bruce Bowen
SG Manu Ginobili
PG Tony Parker
It WILL happen.

No, it won't.

dknights411
06-04-2006, 01:19 PM
This is all just one fan's wet dream. Even IF we get Big Ben, who would we cut to make room for his contract?

Spurminator
06-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Everybody WANTS to play next to Tim Duncan... Doesn't mean it's logistically possible.

Spurologist
06-04-2006, 02:33 PM
http://www.thethirteenthstep.com/stfu/callbs.jpg

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 03:01 PM
The only way this happens is if we overpay Ben and the Pistons overpay Nazr in a trade.

AMOS7
06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Ben Wallace is the key to the puzzle. Defensive and offensive rebounding will be more consistant. They have to do what they can do to attempt to sign up, it seems impossible, but why not give it a shot? They would have won a title this year if they had better rebounding (that was the thing of the Mavs series they couldn't do). Forget Reggie Evans if you can try to get Big Ben on your side. Spurs management needs to look into this, and not just go "it won't work, ever" without even trying.

There's hardly any good centers anymore, Ben is the best behind Shaq.

Ben obviously is a team player that wants to win a ring, not many teams are able to go all the way... only about 5 teams I can see that have a shot at that in the near future: Spurs, Mavs, Suns, Pistons, and Heat.

MissAllThat
06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Unless we can trade him for Rasho, its not worth it. Now if Rasho is involved...then I'm all for it.

clubalien
06-04-2006, 06:41 PM
this just adds more support for the quote in my sig. I would love to have ben wallace here. then we would have a defence player of the year ever year

Big P
06-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I know its from hoopsworld, but take it for what its worth...

link (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_17616.shtml)

SAN ANTONIO SHAKE-UP: Don’t be surprised to see the Spurs make a “daring” move this off-season. Rasho Nesterovic is likely gone in trade, and Nazr Mohammed is expected to walk as an unrestricted free agent – there is an absolutely insane notion that the Spurs could be in the running for Ben Wallace if things go south for Big Ben in Detroit as many are speculating they will. The Piston players made a hard “sales pitch” on the flight back from Miami, but Ben was very non-committal. A Spurs source said if Ben will take the phone call, the Spurs will make the phone call – the real question becomes who in the NBA offers Ben the max money he is going to be seeking. League sources say the Spurs are not going to offer anyone “max” money, but there is a strong chance if Ben is going shopping for another ring, the Spurs will make a push. Another name that’s making its way around the “I want a ring” circuit is Bonzi Wells, Detroit papers have speculated Bonzi Wells could be on the radar for the Pistons, but Spurs sources say he is also someone they will look too as well – don’t be shocked to see the Spurs shake some things up this summer, and they may be a bigger players in the off-season than anyone’s given them credit for even though they are not in a great position cap wise ($60.9 million in contracts). The smart money says Ben Wallace stays in Detroit, and gets his massive payday and Bonzi Wells ends up with goof friend Jermaine O’Neal in Indiana, but that doesn’t mean the Spurs won’t be calling.

picnroll
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
The most accurate part of that hoopsworld article is the "absolutely insane notion " part.

ducks
06-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Would You Give Up Tp Or Manu For Ben Wallace?

Rescueone
06-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Ben's free throw percentage fits in nicely!!!

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Arn Tellem as his agent GUARANTEES this will never happen, number one, just because he finally hired an agent, and number two, because it's Arn Tellem.

That was my first thought on reading the first article in this thread.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey Pistons fans: What is your opinion about re-signing Wallace? Would you give him the max?

No. In my mind an aging Ben Wallace is simply not worth a max contract. If Ben truly wants that kind of money, I say ship him off in a sign-and-trade. Don't get me wrong, I would love for Ben to stay a Piston, but I honestly don't believe he is worth that huge of a contract. The problem for me is not in money as much as years. If Ben would agree to a 3 year deal with big time money, then I say lock him up. I just don't want to give him huge money AND a many year deal. Imagine how much paying a 38 year old Ben Wallace 15 million a year would hurt your team.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Would You Give Up Tp Or Manu For Ben Wallace?

Especially considering age....

T.P. > Ben

Manu > Ben

Slinkyman
06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Hoopsworld is garbage, last year they had us shaking up the team also except it was Parker for Starbury :rolleyes

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I know its from hoopsworld

What's the most entertaining:

Rasho gone in a trade
Spurs signing Ben Wallace
Spurs signing Bonzi Wells

?

bendmz
06-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Ben's free throw percentage fits in nicely!!!
just what we need, ANOTHER DUMBASS WHO CAN'T HIT FREE THROWS :madrun

ploto
06-04-2006, 09:49 PM
What's the most entertaining:

Rasho gone in a trade
Spurs signing Ben Wallace
Spurs signing Bonzi Wells

?
Ths is the same hoopsworld guy who has been pushing a supposed Rasho trade since before the trade deadline and who does not seem to understand what it would actually take to get Ben Wallace or Bonzi Wells here. Does he not get that you actually have to work out a S&T with their current team and send them something they actually want in return- or involve another team. Sure the Spurs will call Wallace- they'll call all kinds of free agents.

Unless we can trade him for Rasho, its not worth it. Now if Rasho is involved...then I'm all for it.
Not going to happen as long as Flip is the coach.

Phenomanul
06-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Pipedream or not... playing Bowen, Duncan and Wallace would be a very intimidating defensive team...

Besides Wallace is an underated passer...
And he gets all his points without having plays called for him... a good asset when you have guys like Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Finley on the team...

CharlieMac
06-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Two years ago I would have never imagined that Finley would be a Spur.

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 12:59 AM
If you add Wallace then you are counting on TD to guard the 4 spot from here on.

T Park
06-05-2006, 01:04 AM
If you add Wallace then you are counting on TD to guard the 4 spot from here on.

Id say Ben Wallace can guard 4s as good or better than Duncan.

spursparker9
06-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Ben can shut down Dirk

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 01:14 AM
The point of adding a Ben Wallace is to solidify your interior defense. He's not going to do that 20 feet from the rim.

T Park
06-05-2006, 01:16 AM
the Spurs interior D would be solidified by somoene able to guard Dirka nd shut him down totally.

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 01:17 AM
the Spurs interior D would be solidified by somoene able to guard Dirka nd shut him down totally.

Um that's not going to be Wallace.

orhe
06-05-2006, 01:45 AM
well Flip sucks so Ben get your ass over here! that would fucking take care of our rebounding problem! plus our D would rock too... mannnn!!!

MO FRO!!

Sense
06-05-2006, 01:51 AM
well Flip sucks so Ben get your ass over here! that would fucking take care of our rebounding problem! plus our D would rock too... mannnn!!!

MO FRO!!

i laughed as i read this....

orhe
06-05-2006, 02:40 AM
i laughed as i read this....

just as the spurs would laugh at their opponents!!!

ChumpDumper
06-05-2006, 02:53 AM
The point of adding a Ben Wallace is to solidify your interior defense. He's not going to do that 20 feet from the rim.So you're saying Wallace isn't as athletic as an again-chubby Malik Rose? I would ask every Pistonfan what they think Ben if capable of on D.

Darrin
06-05-2006, 04:35 AM
"We all know how Ben gets at times," Saunders said.

In a choice between

Ben Wallace:
- 8,716 rebounds (1,237 in playoffs)
- 1,815 blocks (215 in playoffs)
- 1,107 steals (172 in playoffs)
- 1,102 assists (140 in playoffs)
- 791 games (93 in playoffs)
- 460-331 record (53-40 in playoffs)
- 2004 NBA Champion
- 2005 Conference Champion.
- Four Appearances in Conference Finals.
- 4-time Defensive Player of the Year
- 8-4 career playoff record versus Shaquille O'Neal (without Flip Saunders).

or

Flip Saunders:
- 501-381 career win-loss record (26-37 in playoffs)
- Never been to NBA Finals.
- Two Appearances in Conference Finals.
- 4-8 career playoff record versus Shaquille O'Neal (without Ben Wallace).
- 1990 CBA Champion
- 1992 CBA Champion
- Two-Time CBA Coach of the Year.
- NEVER PLAYED IN CBA, ABA, or NBA.

I'm going to put up with Ben Wallace's antics a hellava lot faster than Flip Saunders'. Saunders is the first Pistons coach to never lace them up in the pros or semi-pros since Alvin Gentry. He's the first Pistons coach to spend at least five years as an assistant in the league since...well I can't remember. It's been at least, at least 25 years.

If someone is more proven in this "feud," this isn't Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant. Ben Wallace was used as a role player all season long. No offensive sets where he touches the ball. He's expected to guard Shaq 100% of the time? Larry Brown never did that. He would switch up the defense on Shaq to use fatigue as a weapon and to keep him off balance. Take the best weak-side shot blocker in the league, the best help defender, and throw him man-on-man for Shaquille O'Neal an entire series, when he's giving up 85 pounds. And then complain he doesn't have any blocks, or that he voices his displeasure with Flip Saunders' coaching?

You know that Jim Croce song about what not to do to 'ol Jim? The one thing you do not do is mess with Detroit Sports icons. I'll name you the last Pistons coach to do that - Ron Rothstein. He pretty much took a bat to Isiah Thomas during the 1992-93 season (40-42). That was his first and only season.

Go piss away someone else's talent and let my Pistons get back to Detroit basketball. A winning tradition that Ben Wallace helped forge, who's been here longer than 3 coaches now, and who's marketing and revenue helped pay Saunders this season. The Pistons wouldn't have been quite so attractive last offseason without Ben Wallace. So Saunders should keep tearing Wallace down. And he'll find out what it's like to be an assistant coach in this league.

polandprzem
06-05-2006, 05:21 AM
The spurs are in rebuilding mode. So no Wallace inculded.

Streakyshooter08
06-05-2006, 05:40 AM

If the Spurs would have the chance to get him, they would do it. It is not gonna happening because of the contract situation...

I think that if he really does not want to play under Saunders anymore. There is a possibility to see him in a different jersey next year.

polandprzem
06-05-2006, 05:50 AM
If the Spurs would have the chance to get him, they would do it. It is not gonna happening because of the contract situation...

I think that if he really does not want to play under Saunders anymore. There is a possibility to see him in a different jersey next year.

How is it possible then?

What we would trade Rasho, Brent and Horry for Ben?

Fuck. I realy do not see any player that would REALY help the spurs in winning a championship. Shit. Talking about Javtokas or some college sophos it's beyond me.

Taking about Wallace is rediculous.
But hmm soemt8imes ridiculous can happen :rolleyes

Streakyshooter08
06-05-2006, 06:05 AM
How is it possible then?

What we would trade Rasho, Brent and Horry for Ben?

Fuck. I realy do not see any player that would REALY help the spurs in winning a championship. Shit. Talking about Javtokas or some college sophos it's beyond me.

Taking about Wallace is rediculous.
But hmm soemt8imes ridiculous can happen :rolleyes

I agree with you, that it is nearly impossible for the Spurs to get him. The only 2 possibilities might be 1. S&T 2. him accepting the MLE... both very unlikely. I just wanted to say, that if he is really unhappy with Saunders he might consider going elsewhere (not SA).

The Spurs really need to fill the void of a long SF/PF (at least 6'9) that is able to defend the perimeter. The Spurs might meet the Mavs next year again, so you need somebody to wear down Dirk. Sure you can't stop him, but if you have a quick tall SF you can make it hard for him. I also think we might keep Rasho because the Rockets with Yao might be in the POs next year an then you need some size.

We will see what will happen. I also though it might be impossible getting Finley...

polandprzem
06-05-2006, 06:09 AM
I agree with you, that it is nearly impossible for the Spurs to get him. The only 2 possibilities might be 1. S&T 2. him accepting the MLE... both very unlikely. I just wanted to say, that if he is really unhappy with Saunders he might consider going elsewhere (not SA).

The Spurs really need to fill the void of a long SF/PF (at least 6'9) that is able to defend the perimeter. The Spurs might meet the Mavs next year again, so you need somebody to wear down Dirk. Sure you can't stop him, but if you have a quick tall SF you can make it hard for him. I also think we might keep Rasho because the Rockets with Yao might be in the POs next year an then you need some size.

We will see what will happen. I also though it might be impossible getting Finley...

Getting Finley :huh

Hey Pop was looking for a long 3 since I remember, well maybe not but it is 6 years or so. He didn't found one. So what kind of miracle are we waiting for? :pctoss

Sii
06-05-2006, 07:21 AM

rebuilding? give me a fucking break. The Spurs need a few adjustments but they dont need to "rebuild". Hell many people dont even think Dallas truly was a better team than SA this year despite the win in 7 games. Its not like SA needs to make "major" changes to be a top contender next year again....certainly not rebuilding type changes.

polandprzem
06-05-2006, 07:35 AM
rebuilding? give me a fucking break. The Spurs need a few adjustments but they dont need to "rebuild". Hell many people dont even think Dallas truly was a better team than SA this year despite the win in 7 games. Its not like SA needs to make "major" changes to be a top contender next year again....certainly not rebuilding type changes.

:flipoff

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 07:39 AM
So you're saying Wallace isn't as athletic as an again-chubby Malik Rose? I would ask every Pistonfan what they think Ben if capable of on D.

Placing Ben Wallace twenty feet from the rim on D for an entire game is a bad call.

polandprzem
06-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Placing Ben Wallace twenty feet from the rim on D for an entire game is a bad call.

WE've got another guy to do that in 2 nearest years