PDA

View Full Version : I'm so happy for Zo.

flipcritic
06-04-2006, 04:45 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/sports/basketball/04heat.html

Regardless of how you feel about the Heat, who would have thought that after being diagnosed with a life-threatening kidney ailment, that he would be in the NBA Finals, a goal that had long eluded him as the former Miami beast of the east, much less high level basketball. He's finally there. God bless him.

timvp
06-04-2006, 04:48 AM
F Zo.

He was one of the first ones to start the "David Robinson is Soft" crap.

MissAllThat
06-04-2006, 04:49 AM
I'm happy for him too, just as I was happy for Sean in 99. Those 2 both deserved their trips to the finals. Zo has been through a lot and for him to finally get to the Finals after all of it is amazing, especially when many thought he would never play again a few years ago.

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2006, 04:54 AM
the guy who quit on the raptors after a trade? fuck him

aaronstampler
06-04-2006, 05:05 AM
he quit on them and then demanded they pay him a severance package. Classy. I hate both these teams and don't plan on watching the finals.

Mavs_man_41
06-04-2006, 08:27 AM
How could you not admire the guy, anyone who fights back from a kidney ailment and puts theirself in a position to win the title deserves props.

exstatic
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Not if they're an asshole underneath it all.

Fuck Zo. My takeaway from the Finals is that either Zo or Cuban gets fucking punked.

mike detroit
06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Fuck Zo. .

yep

Tobias
06-04-2006, 10:02 AM
reinfoircing the "Fuck Zo."

First, gives Miami the finger after supporting him for so long to the sinking ship of Jersey. Then he pissed and moaned and left Toronto hanging just cuz his old team was suddenly a contender again. Fuck Zo.

SenorSpur
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Fuck Zo. With all his "fake" humility and ego.

Yes he did quit on the Raptors and threatened that he would never play there. He demanded to be cut or traded. If I remember correctly, they obliged and got nothing in return for releasing him.

However that wasn't the first act of sorriness from him. Before the Toronto fiasco, he also quit on the Nets when he saw they stood little chance of winning after trading Kenyon Martin and releasing Kerry Kittles. He demanded a trade out of there too.

At a time when most team pursuing him wanted to include provisions in their contract offers that would protect themselves in case Mourning's health wouldn't allow him to perform, the Nets were only a small handful of teams willing to assume the risk and give him a guaranteed contract devoid of health-related incentives or clauses.

Eventually, he did the Nets a disservice by not showing them the same loyalty they showed him.

To complete his sojourn, he forced a trade out of New Jersey to Toronto. After forcing his way out of Toronto without ever donning a Raptors jersey, he signed with Miami. The very team that stood behind him and supported him when his kidney ailment initially forced him to miss almost two years. He thanked Miami by forcing his way to the Nets.

For some reason, he seems to think he's earned the right to dictate where he finished his career. He's also one of the players that undermined Stan Van Gundy in favor of Pat Riley. So, fuck him.

genghisrex
06-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Fuck Zo. I hope both teams lose.

dknights411
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
When was the last time there was so much animosity towards BOTH NBA Finalists? :wtf

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Zo was bitter because he was DRob's bitch during the early part of his career.

timvp
06-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Fuck Zo. I hope both teams lose.

Amen.

timvp
06-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Zo was bitter because he was DRob's bitch during the early part of his career.

Yeah I couldn't believe when I saw that interview where he famously said that "David Robinson doesn't like contact".

This was after DRob dropped 50 on him twice in one season.

WTF?

Bob Lanier
06-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Fuck Zo.

timvp
06-04-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/games/boxscore.cgi?date=1993-01-16&tm1=SAS&tm2=CHH

Robinson has 52 points (on 28 shots :wow), 14 rebounds and 7 blocks on Zo's azz. A couple years later Zo is calling David soft.

Amazing.

Russ
06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry to be a hater, but Zo is a jerk and one of the main reasons that I will root against Miami.

He is the stereotypical self-absorbed, dismissive of others, NBA "playa" with the entirely predicable and standard East-coast-background views on everything (and every geographical place) that you might suspect. He fancies himself a tough guy and looks down on those that don't come from a similar background or exhibit the same alledgedly desirable macho behavior traits -- in other words, virtually everyone else.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 01:41 PM
EC media is on Zo's jock for his bouts with kidney illness but has he done anything that rivals what Elliott did?

Trainwreck2100
06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
EC media is on Zo's jock for his bouts with kidney illness but has he done anything that rivals what Elliott did?

he was more of a bitch

timvp
06-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I remember watching that NBC halftime special calling out David as soft. The two players they had to backup the claim were Alonzo Morning and Jayson Williams.

A couple years later Jayson was shooting limo drivers and Zo's starting days were done.

Karma.

SilverPlayer
06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Didn't Zo also force his way out of the Hornets uniform in his early career, back when they were good and had Larry Johnson paired with him?

Also aren't their rumors that steroids played some part in his kidney trouble?

ponky
06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/sports/basketball/04heat.html

Regardless of how you feel about the Heat, who would have thought that after being diagnosed with a life-threatening kidney ailment, that he would be in the NBA Finals, a goal that had long eluded him as the former Miami beast of the east, much less high level basketball. He's finally there. God bless him.

Just because a guy is stricken with a life-threatening ailment doesn't make him a saint. Zo has always had an "I'm going to bust you up" attitude on the court and I couldn't stand him back in the 90s for his aggressive, demonstrative style of game. He comes off as a real asshole both on and off the court. He used to talk so much smack in the 90s it's hard to like him again just because he's had a kidney problem. This has nothing to do with the fact that we're playing him on Thursday, I don't expect much from him, he hasn't done much in this playoffs except provide some respite for Shaq.

ponky
06-04-2006, 02:22 PM
When was the last time there was so much animosity towards BOTH NBA Finalists? :wtf

Last year, just not on the Spurs or Pistons board, but pretty much everywhere else.

ATX Spur
06-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Forget Alonzo. He punked NJ out of the low post player they needed, bled Toronto for millions and then quit. He doesn't deserve the blind public's unwitting adoration for his kidney ailment.

And he's nothing compared to Elliott. He won't be dropping any game winning shots in traffic. I won't be sad if he goes ringless again.

Spurologist
06-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Forget Alonzo. He punked NJ out of the low post player they needed, bled Toronto for millions and then quit. He doesn't deserve the blind public's unwitting adoration for his kidney ailment.

And he's nothing compared to Elliott. He won't be dropping any game winning shots in traffic. I won't be sad if he goes ringless again.

So you'd rather live to see Mark Cuban get a ring. Fuck that.

ATX Spur
06-04-2006, 07:21 PM
So you'd rather live to see Mark Cuban get a ring. Fuck that.

Nope, I wanna see Cuban cry big fat expensive tears just as much as anyone else. But if the Mavs do pull off an unlikely playoff run, it will at least be some solace that Zo, Antoine, and GP will have taken less money for nothing AGAIN.

But I should have been more clear. Fuck Cuban.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm glad his kidney is working.

Otherwise f him.

resistanze
06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnZjsiayS8

That is all.

E20
06-04-2006, 07:30 PM
^^^^ Goodness Gracious.

Brutalis
06-04-2006, 07:59 PM
The over-achiever finally got to the finals on the back of someone else.

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I am also gonna have to say "Fuck Zo."

That piece of shit can continue to flex his biceps all he wants, he still sucks.

ALVAREZ6
06-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Sorry to be a hater, but Zo is a jerk and one of the main reasons that I will root against Miami.

He is the stereotypical self-absorbed, dismissive of others, NBA "playa" with the entirely predicable and standard East-coast-background views on everything (and every geographical place) that you might suspect. He fancies himself a tough guy and looks down on those that don't come from a similar background or exhibit the same alledgedly desirable macho behavior traits -- in other words, virtually everyone else.
The whole team is loaded with assfucks.

It's not just Zo that's a jerk, but there's also cry baby Payton, Walker, and that big chode guy who wears #32.

flipcritic
06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Yep. We are some classy Spurs fans.

I know I'm not going to change any minds over here. But for those who are willing to empathize, try and look at it from the perspective from a man who fought back from a life-threatening condition to make it back. Sure Sean Elliot and Zo have different circumstances, but even Sean Elliot has mentioned Zo's bravery on several occasions.

Sure Zo said some things about David Robinson, but different guys show their competitiveness in different ways, and Zo isn't afraid to make his thoughts known. And the situation with Toronto smacks of selfishness, but he wanted to win a championship, and would do anything to do it (would you want to spend the rest of your career with a losing team?). We can all judge him for coattail riding, but he's not as bad as players out there who play simply for a check.

I'm not trying to patronize him or pick any fights (he's resorted to fisticuffs and has been overly aggressive in many of his years), but I wasn't expecting all this hostility. The guy's a warrior who has worked his tail off ever since he came into the league, all to win (I'm sure we would have wanted on our team in his prime). I'm just happy that that hard work has finally paid off.

Let the vulgarities continue.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM

finally someone who calls out other Spurs fans :lol

these playoffs have proved the spurs organisation may be classy within but their fans are the total opposite of the players :smokin

leemajors
06-04-2006, 08:53 PM

these playoffs have proved the spurs organisation may be classy within but their fans are the total opposite of the players :smokin

yeah the few fans who act sour are directly representative of the entire spur fan base. i hear denver is a racist city, doesn't mean it's true.

ATX Spur
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM

Yes, there are villains even in sports.

When a Spur grabs Chris Kaman's privates, then we will talk. I'll be the first to call it crazy.

Slinkyman
06-04-2006, 09:15 PM

And the nuggets are a classless team with classless fans

ATX Spur
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM

I know I'm not going to change any minds over here. But for those who are willing to empathize, try and look at it from the perspective from a man who fought back from a life-threatening condition to make it back. Sure Sean Elliot and Zo have different circumstances, but even Sean Elliot has mentioned Zo's bravery on several occasions.

Sure Zo said some things about David Robinson, but different guys show their competitiveness in different ways, and Zo isn't afraid to make his thoughts known. And the situation with Toronto smacks of selfishness, but he wanted to win a championship, and would do anything to do it (would you want to spend the rest of your career with a losing team?). We can all judge him for coattail riding, but he's not as bad as players out there who play simply for a check.

I'm not trying to patronize him or pick any fights (he's resorted to fisticuffs and has been overly aggressive in many of his years), but I wasn't expecting all this hostility. The guy's a warrior who has worked his tail off ever since he came into the league, all to win (I'm sure we would have wanted on our team in his prime). I'm just happy that that hard work has finally paid off.

I see what you're saying.

But I think calling out the selfish players and rejoicing when the good ones succeed is pretty close to "classiness."

Whatever that means.

Spurologist
06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCnZjsiayS8

That is all.

That dunk is still sickening.

Too bad the mavs team is made up of All NBA Pussy teamers. You won't be seeing that in the finals

ponky
06-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Would you be happy for him if he was playing the Spurs in the Finals? Would you feel sorry for him and mention it on this board if the Spurs swept the Heat in the Finals? It's certainly an accomplishment to come back from an illness and engage in a sport that you were good at pre-illness but an illness doesn't always result in a change of one's demeanor and Zo was and still is an asshole. Go back and look at the rivalry with the Knicks and the way he used to act during games back in the 90s. The way he acted when he was with the Nets/Raptors after making a comeback proves he hasn't changed a bit.

ponky
06-04-2006, 10:31 PM

Too bad the mavs team is made up of All NBA Pussy teamers. You won't be seeing that in the finals

yeah, tim thomas called dirk a "big ass pussy"...thanks a lot thomas, that "i'm from a hood and no white boy is going to pwn me" thuggish attitude really helped out dirk

Mavs_man_41
06-04-2006, 10:34 PM

Youre right the mavs are all pussies....and tim duncan is a swole ass motherfucker right?

Kori Ellis
06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
This thread and some of the posts in it remind me of something we talked about once in a class in college.

Let's say there's a guy who is a total asshole -- always bitching about everything, treats people in manual labor jobs poorly, verbally abuses his girlfriend.

Let's say this guy gets in a car accident and is now paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

Do we have to like the guy now just because he's disabled?

I always said that you don't have to like him -- he's still an asshole. But you do feel some level of sympathy for his situation.

I guess I feel the same about Zo getting to the Finals. By a lot of accounts he's not a great guy -- the Toronto situation, the DRob comments and countless other things. So just because he had kidney problems and worked his way back from that, I don't have to like him or be happy for him. But I do have some level of sympathy/respect for him with his health situation.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 01:44 AM
This thread and some of the posts in it remind me of something we talked about once in a class in college.

Let's say there's a guy who is a total asshole -- always bitching about everything, treats people in manual labor jobs poorly, verbally abuses his girlfriend.

Let's say this guy gets in a car accident and is now paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

Do we have to like the guy now just because he's disabled?

I always said that you don't have to like him -- he's still an asshole. But you do feel some level of sympathy for his situation.

I guess I feel the same about Zo getting to the Finals. By a lot of accounts he's not a great guy -- the Toronto situation, the DRob comments and countless other things. So just because he had kidney problems and worked his way back from that, I don't have to like him or be happy for him. But I do have some level of sympathy/respect for him with his health situation.
I agree with these sentiments. I never cared for the guy in his prime. Now that he's all old and stuff and just riding on the shoulders of Shaq Wade and even the lower rung players like Walker, Williams, Haslem, Payton...His resilient play and his beaten down worn out look makes it hard for me to have that "Fuck Zo" attitude. Heh heh it's like the kind of sympathy(to add on to your better analogy) for some angry old man who was a jerk in life, and still says jerky, racist things but is already too old to actually hate on or punch :lol like you would if he were 40 years younger cuz he's already old and decrepit. You just say "bah, whatever" That's what Zo is to me now that's he a backup center for Shaq who gets bench minutes.

At least I can appreciate his shotblocking ability as of right now.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2006, 03:13 AM
I'm rooting for his kidney, but since his kidney is working, it's much easier to focus on Zo's being an asshole.

I'd cut him a break if he was on dialysis.

DarkReign
06-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I hate both these teams and don't plan on watching the finals.

My thoughts exactly. I have no interest in either team.