PDA

View Full Version : Sam Presti on WOAI TV Sports Sunday tonight

Solid D
06-04-2006, 05:34 PM
at 10:30PM.

The teaser with David Chancellor at 5:25 posed the question: who can they sign this summer? Showing a clip of Ian Mihinmi in Spurs practice gear working on screen roll at the Spurs Practice Facility plus game clips of Scola and Javtokas.

ace3g
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
sweet I am definitely going to watch that, I want to see some more recent footage of Mahinimi

ducks
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Please Post Recap For Out Of Towners And People Overseas

Solid D
06-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Okay ducks.

These one-on-ones seldom give Spurs fans any major insights. Maybe this, maybe that, listing players we already know about, etc.

We'll see.

In the short clip they showed of Ian, he looked like he has the physical build of Chris Bosh, or in that neighborhood.

ploto
06-04-2006, 06:04 PM
I just want Sam to tell us that he is staying. :)

juncan
06-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I just want Sam to tell us that he is staying. :)

ditto ^^

ducks
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Cool Dude

picnroll
06-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Now if they can just teach Mahinmi to shoot like Bosh.

NCaliSpurs
06-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Or to rebound like him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm sure he'll ist out the top five prospects the Spurs want going into the draft, that's what usually happens. :lol

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm sure he'll ist out the top five prospects the Spurs want going into the draft, that's what usually happens. :lol

That, and specific identification of the players the Spurs intend to woo during free agency and all trades that they are contemplating.

:lol

The Spurs are certainly in CIA mode right about now. I'll be shocked if anyone offers anything other than the usual generic answers, tweaked a bit to fit this offseason (a"back up point guard" and "some help in the paint").

ploto
06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Anything he says- assume the opposite. :)

spurschick
06-04-2006, 10:06 PM
One of the most anal retentive people I've ever dealt with.

ploto
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
One of the most anal retentive people I've ever dealt with.
That's why Sam is so good at what he does.

CharlieMac
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Still hush-hush on Scola.

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
That was about as vague as could possibly be.

Lots of definite maybes.

Solid D
Mostly a yawning festival.

blackbucket
He said

That pretty much sums it up.

picnroll
06-04-2006, 10:48 PM
A complete recap of what Presti said is

nothing.

clubalien
06-04-2006, 10:49 PM
it is confirmed

ian is god
this guy is he best new player since lebron

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2006, 10:49 PM
For those who couldn't see it, Presti basically said that they'll have to evaluate their team and the options. That they may address some problem areas, but that they're happy with the crew they currently have. That Javtokas may be an option, but he might get offers in Europe. That Scola might be an option, but it depends on whether the time is right for the Spurs and for Luis. That Ian is a project and that they have to be patient with the process, but that Ian is a "quick study." That they work just as hard when they don't have a first rounder as when they do and that you never know what might happen on draft night.

ducks
06-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I want to know how impressed they are with Mihinmi. If they think he is the answer now.SCOLA IS traded

FromWayDowntown
06-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I want to know how impressed they are with Mihinmi. If they think he is the answer now.SCOLA IS traded

He's still calling him a project, but says he's a "quick study." That was about the most concrete thing Sam said -- he seemed to be pretty clear that Ian isn't ready.

CharlieMac
it is confirmed

ian is god
this guy is he best new player since lebron

Yeah, the footage I've seen looks promising.

I tuned him out after a few seconds, what is the deal with Ian?

ducks
fwd nice post looks like Mihinmi was brought down to see if he is ready this year

if you read in between the lines

ploto
I got the following impressions:
1. The Spurs are not appearing as "unhappy" with their current roster as people might think.

2. Nazr out and Javtokas in seems to be an option they would be happy with, but he mentioned the offers from outside the NBA for Robertas.

3. The Spurs WILL NOT rush Ian in any way, shape, or form. He was clear on the process- the time it takes- and the success the Spurs have had in the past letting this process develop naturally without putting too much pressure on Ian.

SsKSpurs21
06-04-2006, 10:54 PM
a little bit of what he just said...

they will sit back and look at the entire year. look at the holes. evaluate each position and use their "formula" they use every year to evaluate.

Nazr as free agent:

address nazr as a free agent. he earned the right to look at other teams but they will keep an eye on him.

Javtokas situation:

robertas javtokas has developed himself as a player in europe. he has option in europe as well so we will sit back and look at everything but we are happy with the team we have here.

Scola situation:

we will see if its a right time for us and the right time for louis scola. louis also has options and we will evaluate that.

upcoming Draft:

the draft will be the same hectic type of time even if dont have a pick because something can come up. we will be ready if we can somehow get a first round draft maybe trades or whatnot.

going younger?

we will be looking ahead and if we can bring a piece in that younger or older, it doesnt matter. if we feel the player has a chance of helping us win we will bring him in.

on Ian Mahimni:

Ian had a great year in france. hes 19 at the moment and he is young. hes a quick study and we will see how he develops but we dont want to put too much pressure on him.

it will busy summer for the spurs.

basically he didnt tell us a DAMN THING! it was all MAJOR fluff.

timvp
06-04-2006, 10:54 PM
I have to strain to read between the lines of what he said, but to me it seems like they are pretty high on Javtokas. He didn't give Scola or Mahinmi much props, but his one bold statement was saying that Javtokas has turned himself into a good player. But then he also went on to say that Javtokas has opportunities in Europe as well as in SA, so it's more of what we knew.

Every time I've heard the Spurs talk about Scola, they never seem too excited. Pop will talk about Javtokas and Mahinmi, but when asked about Scola in the NBA and not on the Spurs. Presti wouldn't even say that this is the year Scola will come to the big leagues.

About Mahinmi, Presti didn't say anything to make it seem like he'd be over this season. He stressed that the Spurs have to be patient, so I'm guessing that means another year or two.

No talk on free agents or the type of players the Spurs want.

Overall a bad interview :lol

picnroll
06-04-2006, 10:55 PM
One thing for sure, Ian is still skinny.

timvp
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
One last thing is that it seems that the Spurs might be looking to move into the first round. Presti says that the Spurs are in discussions to figure out what I'd take to move up in case someone they like falls.

That's pretty standard but it's interesting since the Spurs could see this as a weak draft and have no interest in moving up.

ploto
06-04-2006, 10:57 PM
fwd nice post looks like Mihinmi was brought down to see if he is ready this year

if you read in between the lines
Not the impression I got at all. He said it is important to remain detached and give the process all the time it takes- like they have done in the past.

He did say they were happy with Robertas' development.

I got the gist that their preferences is Robertas this year- Scola probably not-and Ian not.

timvp
06-04-2006, 10:57 PM
One thing for sure, Ian is still skinny.

Yeah pretty skinny but probably thicker than Bosh and Garnett at the same age.

It'll be interesting to see how he plays in summer league.

ploto
06-04-2006, 10:58 PM
I have to strain to read between the lines of what he said, but to me it seems like they are pretty high on Javtokas. He didn't give Scola or Mahinmi much props, but his one bold statement was saying that Javtokas has turned himself into a good player. But then he also went on to say that Javtokas has opportunities in Europe as well as in SA, so it's more of what we knew.

Every time I've heard the Spurs talk about Scola, they never seem too excited. Pop will talk about Javtokas and Mahinmi, but when asked about Scola in the NBA and not on the Spurs. Presti wouldn't even say that this is the year Scola will come to the big leagues.

About Mahinmi, Presti didn't say anything to make it seem like he'd be over this season. He stressed that the Spurs have to be patient, so I'm guessing that means another year or two.
I got the exact same impression. :)

clubalien
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
we will be bringing a piece younger or OLDER doesn;t matter if it can help us win

ben wallace is no spring chicken

ducks
did not contract talks with scola not go well last year
and did not scola get mad at rc writing an email to scola that his rebounding still sucked after scola at that time had his best scoring game

maybe spurs do not know if they can work out a deal with him

timvp
I got the exact same impression. :)

Yeah that was pretty scary.

picnroll
06-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Too bad Harris didn't ask anything about Sanikidze, not that Presti would have given a meaningful repsone.

SsKSpurs21
timvp presti didnt mention anything about any players playing in the summer league. basically he said everything that we already know here. it was such a dry and pointless interview. iam guessing it was for those Spurs fans that dont follow the team as closely as we all do here or for those who dont visit message boards to find out the Spurs next move.

FromWayDowntown
The praise that comes for Scola from the Spurs camp almost seems like praise calculated to keep others interested. That, or it's the rhetoric of reality -- they'd rather not get terribly excited about what Scola is capable of doing because that buyout remains prohibitive (though I'll admit, I've grown weary enough of the situation that I'm not even sure how much longer a buyout exists).

My ears perked up about the first round possibility, though I have no idea what they might be able to find there. Maybe they can work a deal that sends out a contract and brings them a pick and a player -- a deal similar to the Mark Bryant and #1 pick for Speedy Claxton deal in 2002.

ploto
06-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah that was pretty scary.

And here I was trying to be nice. :)

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:04 PM
who wants a young point guard (beno) that is in the top 10-20?

ploto
06-04-2006, 11:06 PM
who wants a young point guard (beno) that is in the top 10-20?
Mentioned that yesterday. Beno was rather close to getting traded on draft day last year.

clubalien
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
I think we won't sign scola to play here. Think we package him for a pg or something else in draft?

Russ
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
The "quick study" comment on Mahinmi was interesting -- reading between the lines, that is.

He didn't have to say it but it appears that Oberto may have taken some of the shine off Scola's star.

timvp
06-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Mentioned that yesterday. Beno was rather close to getting traded on draft day last year.

Yeah Spurs tried to move up to get Jarrett Jack.

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Javtokas I think is a pretty much done deal he will be a spur

T Park
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
it was such a dry and pointless interview. iam guessing it was for those Spurs fans that dont follow the team as closely as we all do here or for those who dont visit message boards to find out the Spurs next move.

what would you want them to ask?

They aren't going to answer anything.

If I were the interviewer, my ending would've been

please

sam,

STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE NEED YOU BADLY!!!!!!!!!!

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:15 PM
So Mahinmi, Sanikidze, and Scola will be on next season's roster, Barry will be traded for JR Smith, they will sign Jumaine Jones, and Mohammed will be allowed to walk.

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:15 PM
did you really want him to tell you the spur plans so other teams can mess them up?

T Park
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Javtokas aint a done deal.

IMO, they are gonna overbid on this guy trying to keep him from Maccabi, worried that they wont sign anyone else that will fill the bigman need.

SsKSpurs21
06-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Tpark, iam sure if i didnt visit message boards that interview would have been news to me. iam just saying that since we already knew the information it was just repetative and predictable.

basically i think that interview was focused on introducing the players we have overseas to spurs fans, and to give some insight on what they are working on in the near future.

T Park
06-04-2006, 11:20 PM
So Mahinmi, Sanikidze, and Scola will be on next season's roster, Barry will be traded for JR Smith, they will sign Jumaine Jones, and Mohammed will be allowed to walk.

Sounds like a good offseason to me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
He didn't give Scola or Mahinmi much props, but his one bold statement was saying that Javtokas has turned himself into a good player. But then he also went on to say that Javtokas has opportunities in Europe as well as in SA, so it's more of what we knew.

So basically, using my secret CIAPop decoder ring, Javtokas is gone in a trade. :lol

picnroll
You have to admit as a PR guy generating interest to sell season tickets Presti gets an F.

T Park
06-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Ssk,

even if every person in SA read this board, and knew what was going on....

They still wouldn't give out SQUAT!

ploto
06-04-2006, 11:22 PM
So basically, using my secret CIAPop decoder ring, Javtokas is gone in a trade. :lol
Sam isn't a good CIA guy. :lol Or is he...

T Park
06-04-2006, 11:23 PM
as a PR guy generating interest to sell season tickets Presti gets an F.

Seeing as hes not a PR guy, uh noooo he doesn't care.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Oberto might be better next season if he gets some more regular minutes. He's a heady player. If the Spurs do move to a slightly more uptempo style he could work as the 2nd big off the bench.

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Oberto brought energy
needs to stay out of foul trouble
now knows the spurs system
has lived in the USA now for a year
hopefully he will see time early on to see what he can do
let horry rest tell all star break

picnroll
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Not his primary role certainly but he is in the entertainment business. Generating a little interest doesn't hurt. "We're really excited about .... ." Selling those season tickets makes Holt a little more willing to spend some extra money so that Presti and the boys can go out and sign those FAs they want.

SsKSpurs21
06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Tpark you have a point. I guess i was expecting more than what was offered and i felt disappointed. i guess i would have expected the spurs to be more CIA like they always are, but with the way we lost i think everyone was searching for some answers.

strangeweather
06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Oberto might be better next season if he gets some more regular minutes. He's a heady player. If the Spurs do move to a slightly more uptempo style he could work as the 2nd big off the bench.
I would love to see Oberto succeed, but even though he doesn't have all that much size, he's still not that quick or mobile. I don't think bumping up the tempo helps get him on the floor.

Getting his jumper off and pulling down more rebounds are what he really needs to do to see more consistent time.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
He's fairly mobile for a big. I think some of his issues stem from making the adjustment and getting spotty minutes. He rebounds well.

picnroll
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Oberto needs to defend the low post without letting every PF in the league score over him unless he fouls them.

strangeweather
06-04-2006, 11:37 PM
He's fairly mobile for a big. I think some of his issues stem from making the adjustment and getting spotty minutes.
I definitely think the adjustment and the minutes were part of the problem. And certainly he's not Rasho, but he's not Malik either, as far as mobility goes.

He rebounds well.
He was very effective on the offensive boards, but he was only a slight improvement over Rasho with defensive rebounds. If he could kick his defensive rebounding up a notch next year, I think he would get more run.

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't think Oberto is the 1st big off the bench, but if you are looking at putting together a rotation of mobile bigs around TD, he definitely makes sense as the 2nd off the bench. You just need him to be as good or better than the reserve bigs of your opponents.

NCaliSpurs
06-05-2006, 12:29 AM
I thought Oberto gave us some great minutes when given the chance in the playoffs.

Had he more playing time, he could be a solid role-player.

ducks
06-05-2006, 11:05 AM
link to watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqrWzn3GaSg)

ducks
06-05-2006, 11:09 AM
suns have draft picks 21 and 27 and are worried about money this year

Gino2882
06-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Mahinmi looked very athletic there. Still not real big, but hopefully that comes in time he looks similar in size to Garnett and Bosh as some have said.

picnroll
06-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow, watching the replay of that last play of game seven I never realized before that Dirk got away with two fouls. Not only the foul on Duncan but he pulled Manu's right shoulder on the lay up attempt. Good job Dirk.