PDA

View Full Version : scola in this years draft would be?

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:26 PM
how high in the draft do you think scola would go this year?
top 5 ?
number one pick?
15-25?

SsKSpurs21
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
lottery pick no doubt. just how high depends on the teams needs. i say anywhere from 3-10.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Scola would not be drafted in the early second round if not for all the buzz around him due to spurstalk

He's an undersized no defense playing power forward. Where is the upside here?

SPARKY
06-04-2006, 11:55 PM
He can score. That's enough to make a career. He's also 25 and doesn't need to learn the game.

Kori Ellis
06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Scola would not be drafted in the early second round if not for all the buzz around him due to spurstalk

Well didn't Chad Ford (ESPN) say that Scola would be the best player in this year's draft?

I think he would go somewhere around 10-15. Some teams wouldn't take him super early because he's already 26.

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
do not younger guys get drafted higher though?

ducks
06-04-2006, 11:59 PM
I am just trying to guage if the spurs trade him for a pick what they might get in return

T Park
06-05-2006, 12:19 AM
I can see CBF is right on top of things.

the frat of him, mookie, and other idiots is quite awesome.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 12:32 AM
I would like to see how Scola fairs in the NBA regardless if we get him to play for the Spurs. He'd have better chances if he gets to play under a good coach and under a system that suits his talents. I hope he might follow in the footsteps of one of the top tier Euro League players we see flourishing today, not some bust like Darko or what's his face or whozits.

Mr. Body
06-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Put it this way: on the right team, Scola is capable of being on the All-Rookie team.

He's a mid-1st Rounder. His age puts off teams higher than that. Teams draft on potential more than current production.

xcoriate
06-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Beno was on the all-rookie team...

xcoriate
06-05-2006, 03:58 AM
oops no he wasn't he made they all-star rookie challenge though :smokin

Please_dont_ban_me
06-05-2006, 04:03 AM
After Oberto...you can't help but be a skeptic as far as Argentinian bigs.

Doug Collins
06-05-2006, 05:35 AM
I currently am living in Spain working on an internship in Seville, and have had a chance to watch most of Scolaīs playoff games in the Spanish League. While he is a good player, I could see any type of an athletic 4 eating this guy up in the NBA. Heīs got great hands around the basket and can score well in the post, as well as cutting to the basket, but heīs doing this against PFs that do not have the level of athleticism or size found in the NBA. He is not a good defender, especially if youīre looking for a big to play help defense while blocking some shots. His rebounding is what I would consider average for someone of his size, but his lack of leaping ability would be severly exposed in the NBA. He is more of an oppurtunistic rebounder ala Oberto but younger and with better hands in my opinion. I could see him as a good 6th man, who can play in the post against smaller defenders and hit a mid-range jumpshot. Although I donīt know his actual FT% I have yet to see him miss one which doesnt fit well on the current spurs roster :spin Overall, heīs not a franchise big but I could see him being productive with 20 minutes or so a game, and hopefully under the watchful eye of Tim and Pop improve his defense. Hopefully I can make it out to one of his games if TAU reaches the finals which they should pretty easily (currently up 2-0 in the semifinals against Barcelona in a best of 5).

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Well didn't Chad Ford (ESPN) say that Scola would be the best player in this year's draft?

I think he would go somewhere around 10-15. Some teams wouldn't take him super early because he's already 26.
That sounds about right to me.

I could see him conceivably going higher to a team that wanted more immediate help, since he's a lot more polished than most of the kids in the draft at this point in his career. But I think it would be a reach.

picnroll
06-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Hopefully I can make it out to one of his games if TAU reaches the finals which they should pretty easily (currently up 2-0 in the semifinals against Barcelona in a best of 5).
Tau and Unicaja in the finals with Scola up against Garbajosa should be a good read on Scola.

JamStone
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Nikoloz Tskitishvili was a top five pick.

If not for issues with his contract with his Euro team, Maciej Lampe was said to be a lottery pick.

Zarko Cabarkapa was a top 20 pick.

In this draft, Luis Scola would be taken in the mid first round pick. And,he would most likely be a bust.

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Some Photos of Luis Scola and others with Fabricio to compare the Height

http://www.rionegro.com.ar/arch200308/images/75_f1_p59.jpg;http://www.encancha.com/imagenes/noticias/20050216_scolaoberto.jpg

http://espndeportes-att.espn.go.com/2003/photos2004/0827/a_scola_luis_ht.jpg;
http://www.basketland.it/img/basketland/content/big_img/scola-oberto1.jpg;http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Luis_scola.jpg/200px-Luis_scola.jpg
http://www.periodismodeportivo.com/img/data/embascolatau.jpg;http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2004/08/28/oly-basketball-argentina.jpg

picnroll
06-05-2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.basketland.it/img/basketland/content/big_img/scola-oberto1.jpg
Maybe this is a play the Spurs can use to guard the basket.

ObiwanGinobili
06-05-2006, 09:31 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 09:33 AM

And this is the Play the Spurs can use to attack the basket, a little different than Rasho

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Luis_scola.jpg/200px-Luis_scola.jpg

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
After Oberto...you can't help but be a skeptic as far as Argentinian bigs.
So they're better at producing G's and SF's??

Oberto's old and Pop never gave him any minutes, all our bigs sucked so we can't single him out......but I don't know, you never know until you see it, Scola might be different than Oberto. I wouldn't be surprised if he went either way though.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
And this is the Play the Spurs can use to attack the basket, a little different than Rasho

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b4/Luis_scola.jpg/200px-Luis_scola.jpg
And Timmy :lol

Texas_Ranger
06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
15 - 25 pick.

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 04:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

A 15-25 Pick

A 15-25 Pick and Cash for Scola

Heīs better than the Half of the PF of the League

The 2002 was the Scolaīs Draft Year

Vs USA: 5/11 FG, 3/3 FT, 13 Points with 22 Years vs some players Like:
Elton Brand, Shawn Marion, Ben Wallace and Jermaine OīNeal (with the Remembered Block on Him)

He was 57Th because he was under contract through the 2007 season, because if not he was a Lotery Pick in this year

Taking it to the Hole
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't see the Spurs doing anything with Scola this summer because that buyout clause in his contract is still much more than the Spurs want to pay, so unfortunately, Scola may have his rights traded or he's going to have to wait another year. I am not sure even if we are going to keep Oberto, so neither of them may be on our team next year.

rascal
06-05-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't like what I hear from people who have seen Scola play. Scola will be nothing more than a role player backup and thats if he even makes it onto an nba roster. Lacks size and he is too slow for the nba. will get destroyed by bigger, quicker, more athletic nba players. An over rated reach.

Name some undersized for their position, slow, can't jump foreign players that ever did anything in the nba?

texbumTHElife
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't like what I hear from people who have seen Scola play. Scola will be nothing more than a role player backup and thats if he even makes it onto an nba roster. Lacks size and he is too slow for the nba. will get destroyed by bigger, quicker, more athletic nba players. An over rated reach.

Name some undersized for their position, slow, can't jump foreign players that ever did anything in the nba?

Well, he isnt a Euro but those are essentially the same knocks Elton Brand had coming into the league. :)

Bruno
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
He isn't slow at all and 6'9" isn't that undersized for a PF in the 2006 nba.

picnroll
06-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Bruno in your opinion what is Scola's problem with low post defense? That's something I've seen mentioned many places.

Bruno
06-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Bruno in your opinion what is Scola's problem with low post defense? That's something I've seen mentioned many places.

He is just bad at that, I don't see any particular reason.

Mr. Body
06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't see the Spurs doing anything with Scola this summer because that buyout clause in his contract is still much more than the Spurs want to pay, so unfortunately, Scola may have his rights traded or he's going to have to wait another year. I am not sure even if we are going to keep Oberto, so neither of them may be on our team next year.

Tau will really want to get something for him this year, so will facilitate the buy-out. They don't want to risk losing him for nothing.
I expect Scola in the NBA this year, whether a Spur or no.

texbumTHElife
06-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Didnt Scola already get Tau to come way down on his buyout? I could have sworn i heard somewhere he got it down to around a million.

ducks
06-05-2006, 06:24 PM
I would like to know exactly how much his buyout is I hard from 2.5 to 5.5 million

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I would like to know exactly how much his buyout is I hard from 2.5 to 5.5 million
I heard it was at 3 million like a month ago.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I heard it was at 3 million like a month ago.

Yeah I heard it was 3.5M I think about a month ago. But then about a week ago I read 5M. The reason I'm so skeptical is because last offseason, we heard that it got down to 2-3M. Then when it came down to it, it was still 14.5M.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah I heard it was 3.5M I think about a month ago. But then about a week ago I read 5M. The reason I'm so skeptical is because last offseason, we heard that it got down to 2-3M. Then when it came down to it, it was still 14.5M.
I guess we shouldn't trust the print since Scola's got agents running around or TAU or whoever's interested from this possible deal are likely just throwing out numbers left and right probably for their own benefits...Mannn...

I guess we'll have to wait one more month to find out then. When we hear it straight from the Spurs camp.

Heh heh, i'm looking forward to the offseason moves in the coming month...although last year seemed more promising than this year because we could only get better. This year the anticipation of a good acquisition or whatever that could put the Spurs in a good/great spot/position, or tie on some more lead to the teams ankles--which with this year's centers it kinda felt that way--in any case this Summer the sign and trades will keep us on our toes more than usual.

This year has got to be one of the most nervewracking times to be a Spurs fan.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I can see CBF is right on top of things.

the frat of him, mookie, and other idiots is quite awesome.

Okay Tpark, do you wanna bet a fucking authentic jersey or an order of bbq as to how Scola will pan out in the NBA or what

tim_duncan_fan
06-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Scola's probably not going to be all that good once he's in the NBA.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Scola's probably not going to be all that good once he's in the NBA.
I think it could go either way. It depends if you're an optimist or a pessimist.
I really don't know how it's gonna be til we see him play here. I think a lot of you need to make a basis for your claims first. But it's hard since it's all up in the air. It's hard to predict. I just think that EURO pessimist attitude is a bit xenophobic (in an analogical sense) because you never know if that same attitude would have barred a Diaw, Manu, Nocioni, Dirk, Parker from coming over here and flourishing.

Remember it's not just Scola your doubting it's the Spurs scouting judgements, The Spurs really wanted him last year and EXPECTED to get him, not just considered getting him(so they must have been more convinced than some of you that he would do a decent job here). The money, buyout clause became more convoluted than they expected and has now changed their minds and made them hesitant.
I don't get the PF redundancy articles mentioned because all last year we were set to go and get him. That same redundancy issue goes for Tim Duncan draft alongside Robinson. It's in the best interest of the Spurs to bring Scola over to the NBA to at least trade his rights in favor of a decent acquisition from another team.

There are two things, that have since changed their mind and made them hesitant I think
1. a year has passed with a slightly different roster, cap space.
2. OBERTO.

Mr. Body
06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
There are two things, that have since changed their mind and made them hesitant I think
1. a year has passed with a slightly different roster, cap space.
2. OBERTO.

Thing is, Oberto has far from embarassed himself (not saying that's what you said). He's not a great NBA player, by any means, but it's not for lack of smarts, coaching, or game sense. He's just not athletic enough, yet was still effective in spot minutes.

Scola is more athletic, younger, can actually get off the ground.

But one of the major impacts Scola will have, I think, is his passion. He's a fiery cuss.

MissAllThat
06-06-2006, 12:09 AM

:lol

Bruno
06-06-2006, 06:08 AM
As expected, Tiago Splitter retires his name of the 2006 draft.
http://www.solobasket.com/contenido.php?id=11843

I post that in this thread because Splitter staying one more year with Tau will help us to get Scola.

WalterBenitez
06-06-2006, 06:52 AM
:lol

WalterBenitez
06-06-2006, 06:57 AM
THose guys from TAU (I mean their execs) are really hard with buyouts, I always listen/read complains about this issue but in the other hand they try to portect their investment, but they have good some boys probably jumping to NBA in the future.

Answering the question I imagine Scola being drafted 5-10 pick, not sure after Darko's case someone will take the risk of giving him 1-5, despite of the fact that Scola is very far (for age and experience) from where Darko was.

ducks
06-06-2006, 09:39 AM
The first pick in the draft will earn about $4.3-million (U.S.) more than the fifth pick over the next three seasons.this year

Mr. Body
06-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Tau WANTS Scola to go to the NBA this year. That's the likely scenario, and with Splitter staying, it's even more likely.

They'd love to keep him, sure, but they know he wants to play in the U.S. This is the last year he has a buyout and if they wait until next year, they get nothing in return. Absolutely nothing. So they want to get some of that cash money. It'll help them sign replacements.

They will not be playing hardball here. Maybe 'medium' ball, but not hardball.

waly.mg
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
The Fact is:

2006 Scolaīs Buyout = 3 Millions

2007 Scolaīs Buyout= 0

So is better for the TAU take the 3 millions this year, like the Kinder when Manu pay his Buyout

Mr. Body
06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
The Fact is:

2006 Scolaīs Buyout = 3 Millions

2007 Scolaīs Buyout= 0

So is better for the TAU take the 3 millions this year, like the Kinder when Manu pay his Buyout

Exactly. I don't think TAU even wants him back for that reason.

ducks
06-06-2006, 10:07 AM
if scola's current team wins more games and advances frther in playoffs with scola does he make up more the n the 3 million

how do you know the 3 million buyout is FACT

strangeweather
06-06-2006, 11:11 AM
As expected, Tiago Splitter retires his name of the 2006 draft.
http://www.solobasket.com/contenido.php?id=11843

I post that in this thread because Splitter staying one more year with Tau will help us to get Scola.
:tu

Thanks, Bruno.

rascal
06-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't ever want to see Scola on the spurs. He will have an ugly, boring game. Slow, not overly athletic, can't jump well, poor rebounder for his position, undersized and will get torched by quicker more athletic players. Thats what he will bring.

Bruno
06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
:tu

Thanks, Bruno.

:)
Now there are new articles saying that Splitter hasn't still decide if he will stay in the draft and that he will decide just before the deadline (June 18th) : http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/305/playoffs_acb/es/desarrollo/656655.html

So it's not official but he will likely stay with Tau one more year.

Dartherus
06-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't ever want to see Scola on the spurs. He will have an ugly, boring game. Slow, not overly athletic, can't jump well, poor rebounder for his position, undersized and will get torched by quicker more athletic players. Thats what he will bring.
if you consider 'boring' anything that are mainly great basketball fundamentals, skills and intelligence, then make yourself fan of the Knicks, with flashy but loser players like Marbury or Steve Francis, who are more worried about his stats and flashy moves than team results.....

You say can't jump well based on what? again a player who can't jump could have blocked Jermaine ONeal like Scola did in WC 2002?
Did you see the pictures posted in this same forum? He has at least a 33" vertical, not the best of NBA, but at least decent for an NBA PF, isn't it?

now let's see the 'poor rebounder' stuff, do you know that Europe has QUITE A DIFFERENT STYLE OF PLAY? that Gasol had 11ppg and 5 rpg there? that the best Euroleague Centet, Croatian Nikola Vujkic, who's 6'11" and pretty strong, barely gets 5 rpg? and that in top euro team are very rare the players with 7 rpg or more? knowing that, do you think 7rpg avg of Scola is that poor? do you know that in these latest playoiff, his rebounds are up? currently above 10 rpg?

Undersized? if Scola, a LEGIT 6'9" 240 lbs PF (Ben Wallace, listed the same height, is at least one inch smaller, for instance, easy to notice in videos of USA-Argentina) is udnersized? what could you say of Elton Brand or 'Big' Ben?
Many players listed as 6'10" in NBA that went to Europe, seem even smaller than Scola....why then you insist in him being 'undersized'?

Mr. Body
06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Tell it, Dartherus.

waly.mg
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
UNDERSIZED PF OR C:

BEN WALLACE
CHARLES BARKLEY
LARRY JOHNSON
ALONZO MOURNING
DENNIS RODMAN

If you canīt Jump you can be undersized

Rasho canīt Dunk and heīs a 7 Footer

Probably Scola isnīt the Best PF of the World, but if you have TD in your team and Scola is your Backup, you have enough

And when TD is playing like Center or when heīs injured, Scola can de a great solution, specially when we run the 4 Down, because Scola can do it

So in 10 MInutes of every game, we can have a player who can score like TD

Scola with Oberto beated twice the Dream Team and thatīs a great thing if you have those players in the Bench

If you must to choice player for One on One, Scola is best player behind TD, better than Horry, Nazr, Rasho and Oberto, becuase probably he isnīt the best defender, but is too much dangerous on Offense, actually heīs a 20 Points and 7 RB, and heīs the Go to Guy man of the TAU and in Europe heīs doubled every time when he has the ball

The best Big Man of Every Team is guarding him and with TD in the Field, the defense must to defense one or one, Beacuse if you Double TD, Scola can be your nightmare

Mr. Body
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Scola possibly gives us something we've never had in the Duncan era: a legitimate low post threat off the bench.

It'll be interesting to see. Just for enthusiasm and effort, Scola will be great. But his skills will be interesting. He could potentially create some difficulties for other teams.